It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:58 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 am
Posts: 2180
Location: Fort Smith, AR
I like the table idea. Have everyone hold up the table as we rush through the door.

_________________
Brett
~A.K.A. Bluehorse




Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:10 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 am
Posts: 6107
Location: Middle of Carolinas
Dandelion is ok with that.

_________________
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Geoffrey Blood - male pirate from Briton (Pirates:Cannon and Dragons) 1e homebrew
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Junius - male dwarf pincushion (Dave's Mega-dungeon) LL
Manoah Lasley - male ranger of royal blood (A New Hope in the West) OSRIC
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:23 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15174
If anyone has torches, we could do both: throw lit torches ahead of us to draw some some piercers down, then rush through with a table over our heads.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:09 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 am
Posts: 2180
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Zhym wrote:
If anyone has torches, we could do both: throw lit torches ahead of us to draw some some piercers down, then rush through with a table over our heads.


I like it. I have no torches. anyone else?

_________________
Brett
~A.K.A. Bluehorse




Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:15 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15174
Chet had a couple of torches.

Angus takes one of Chet's torches, lights it, and tosses it into the room on the path to the exit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:29 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8184
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Angus digs a torch out of Chet's sack and lights it. Without entering the room, he throws it south. It lands atop some of the splintered remains of the door the party hacked through just hours ago to gain access.

DM rolls dice

Seconds later, a spike falls from the ceiling and lands just next to the torch (fumble!). A low, but shrill, squealing noise is heard from the spike as it takes damage from the flame.

Actions?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:34 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 am
Posts: 2180
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Kablamicus

Cast Shield and prepares to run like a monkey. He looks to Sophomore. "Fly ahead! Be swift and check the hallway ahead.
If it is all clear, meet us outside. If there is danger, hurry back!"

_________________
Brett
~A.K.A. Bluehorse




Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:51 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 am
Posts: 6107
Location: Middle of Carolinas
DAndelion goes with the group, hoping the wood protects them.

_________________
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Geoffrey Blood - male pirate from Briton (Pirates:Cannon and Dragons) 1e homebrew
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Junius - male dwarf pincushion (Dave's Mega-dungeon) LL
Manoah Lasley - male ranger of royal blood (A New Hope in the West) OSRIC
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:24 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15174
Angus holds his shield over his head and runs for the door.

I'm assuming there aren't enough tables for all of us to hide under, and Angus's shield is probably as good as a table for protection anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:39 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8184
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
The stronger members of the party retrieve a table from the chained skeleton room, hold it over the heads of the party members, and trudge into the room. Those with shields hold them over their heads.

Kablamicus orders Sophomore to scout ahead, but the unruly owl refuses. He remembers what fell from the ceiling! He remains on the mage's shoulder he casts Shield and ducks under the table with the others.

As soon as they enter the room, two spikes fall towards Galan and Kablamicus!

Spike attack Kablam [1d20-8] = 7-8 = -1, crit [1d100] = 4, dmg [2d6] = 9
Fumble - spike sticks in table.

The cover allows them to easily evade the strikes. One bounces harmlessly off the table an onto the stone floor of the room. Splinters fly into Kablamicus' face as a sharp point protrudes through the table. The cilia on the side of this second spike flail about, unable to extrude its body from its predicament. Kablamicus' stomach turns a bit at the creepy sight, but he is otherwise unharmed.

Once through the room, the party heaves the table to the side and quickly dispatches the spike. Sophomore now heeds his master's advice and flies out of sight, around the corner and towards the entrance.

The party soon follows, past the covered pile of copper and back towards the entrance. Just a few short hours after entering they are back where they started, though much has changed.

Actions? Just a quick check to ensure no other actions are desired before returning to the surface.

Rulings/rolls:



Date: 25 Culling, Year 44
Time: 11:08
Conditions: 44F, damp
Known Spells in Effect: Kablamicus' Shield spell
Light bearers: Yenny’s bracelet
Injury Status: Galan lightly wounded; Hyde, Dandelion, Angus moderately wounded; Chet dead


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:19 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15174
Nothing from Angus.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:53 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 am
Posts: 6107
Location: Middle of Carolinas
Nope

_________________
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Geoffrey Blood - male pirate from Briton (Pirates:Cannon and Dragons) 1e homebrew
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Junius - male dwarf pincushion (Dave's Mega-dungeon) LL
Manoah Lasley - male ranger of royal blood (A New Hope in the West) OSRIC
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:49 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8184
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Our heroes, now seven in number, emerge from the underground stronghold. The dismal grey sky matches their mood. As they slowly climb the ramp to the surface, the guards of Strod turn towards them. Horror and sadness wash over their faces as they see Hyde carrying a corpse and the wounds afflicting much of the party. They stand in stunned and respectful silence until one blurts "By the bolts of Perun! What happened down there?"

Date: 25 Culling, Year 44
Time: 11:20
Conditions: 41F, cloudy, breezy
Known Spells in Effect: None
Light bearers: Daylight
Injury Status: Galan lightly wounded; Hyde, Dandelion, Angus moderately wounded; Chet dead


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:27 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 am
Posts: 2180
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Kablamicus

Looks at the guard and his temper flares. "What happened? The place is infested with vermin of the most unruly sort, that's what! Speaking of which, where is that infernal bird? SOPHOMORE! You horned menace, where are you?" Whirling back around at the guard. "Living spikes infest the ceilings and drop down to kill a man, and if they miss they scuttle about like spiders.
There is a room full of skeletons, no doubt tortured to death, and we came across a group of... of...."
He looks at Yenny, using a suddenly kinder tone. "Any idea what those miscreants were, by the way?"

_________________
Brett
~A.K.A. Bluehorse




Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:04 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15174
"The high-larious part is, we ain't even seen any orcs yet," says Angus sardonically.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 7:40 pm
Posts: 2762
"Best we regroup for a bit and try again, after we bury the dead that is." Galan adds.

_________________
Lauranna, T4/MU3, A New Hope to the West
Mathias, C3, A Village With No Name
Raphael, Gang Banger, Mechanic, Price of Freedom
Barnhardt,%20B1,%20Brave%20New%20World
Lord Edwardo Muscha, In the Marches, Traveller


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:52 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 am
Posts: 2180
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Kablamicus

Suddenly his temper seems deflated as he looks over at the fallen Chet. "Uhm... yes..." He looks to the guard in a more casual tone. "You wouldn't happen to have a stretcher, would you?" To the others, "Should we notify any next of kin? Do we know his religious preferences? Burial or cremation? I could always draft a letter if he has anyone... he... well... left behind...?"

_________________
Brett
~A.K.A. Bluehorse




Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:43 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 3518
Location: Midwest
Hyde gently lays Chet's corpse down and stands, his sad eyes do not leave the Monk. Ya gotta pick, hah? He asks, unmoving, Or somethin' to dig a grave? I 'spect ya got plenty graves heah, yeahh.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:55 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8184
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
The subject turns to what happens next. Galan suggests recouping before delving back down into the orc stronghold, which Angus wryly notes has produced a grand total of zero orcs so far.

Kablamicus and Hyde begin to ponder what to do with Chet's corpse. Bury it here? The more enlightened amongst the party are familiar with the custom of the monastery - exposure of the corpse. This is usually performed near the monastery grounds, where vultures and other scavengers could make use of the corpse's flesh. The remains are then collected and cremated or buried.

The king will have scholars at his disposal who may be able to help decipher the writing Kablamicus copied, or to help make sense of their encounter. Those skills are not to be found in this dilapidated town.

A return to Alleborg is a full day's journey, and while much safer than two years ago, is not without risk.

Each surviving party member has earned 403 xp plus XP bonuses, if applicable. Look for updates in your private forum. It's also time to discuss how to split the treasure and Chet's belongings. I'll set up a thread for that.

Actions? Stay here and recuperate? Return to Alleborg and recuperate? Delve back down?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:07 am 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:30 pm
Posts: 313
Figgis scratches his chin. "I'm all fer heading' back t' Alleborg and tappin' a keg fer our dearly departed." The ugly dwarf could care less for their loss, but he was always looking for an opportunity to get blinding drunk.

"And when the wake is over, we can look fer a proper fighter to take back wi' us. Someone wi' a strong sword arm an' a weak mind."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group