Chapter 15 - To the Liberated City of Strod...and Below

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 15 - To the Liberated City of Strod...and Below

#201 Post by AleBelly »

Bluehorse wrote::shock: :oops: Mages are complicated! LOL! Sorry everyone. Life was easier when all I had to say was I hit it with my sword.
Okay... Magic seems out for now. Throwing a dart puts my friendlies at risk, correct?
Righto.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Zhym »

"Thanks, Galan. Don't reckon I'd have been pleased about whatever mojo this feller had planned." Angus grins at the caster—now that he is in melee range, the woodsman has the advantage.

Leddilir (THAC0 17): [1d20] = 20 [1d8+2] = 5+2 = 7/[1d12+2] = 12+2 = 14 (SM/L), Crit: [1d100] = 32

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#204 Post by Tamerlaine »

Figgis fights to maintain the grip of his shorts sword

DEX vs Fumble: [1d20] = 11 Success!

Initiative: [1d6+3] = 5+3 = 8 for the maximum of 6

Its against his nature to fall into a melee and despite himself the ugly dwarf opts to strike one more time, striking at SW1 from behind with both short sword and dagger (I'm aware of the rules of two-handed fighting, especially the 'although penalties can
be offset, this rule can never result in a bonus to attacks' rule, Figgis will have no bonuses).

Short sword to hit: [1d20] = 17 Damage: [1d6-1] = 4-1 = 3

Dagger To Ht: [1d20] = 20 Damage: [1d4-1] = 2-1 = 1

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#205 Post by CAI4 »

Chet, face full of panic, turns and runs towards Yenny.

Initiative [1d6] = 2

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by AleBelly »

Tamerlaine wrote:Figgis fights to maintain the grip of his shorts sword

DEX vs Fumble: [1d20] = 11 Success!

Initiative: [1d6+3] = 5+3 = 8 for the maximum of 6

Its against his nature to fall into a melee and despite himself the ugly dwarf opts to strike one more time, striking at SW1 from behind with both short sword and dagger (I'm aware of the rules of two-handed fighting, especially the 'although penalties can
be offset, this rule can never result in a bonus to attacks' rule, Figgis will have no bonuses).

Short sword to hit: [1d20] = 17 Damage: [1d6-1] = 4-1 = 3

Dagger To Ht: [1d20] = 20 Damage: [1d4-1] = 2-1 = 1
Those are the rules as I understand them. However, I'm not seeing the reason for a -1 to damage...

Figgis will get a +2 for attacking from behind, and this also negates any DEX bonus the creature has.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#207 Post by Tamerlaine »

Alebelly, the -1 to damage is due to Figgis' low strength

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#208 Post by Tamerlaine »

Whoops, I was thinking of another character. Figgis has an 11 str so no penalty or bonus.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by AleBelly »

Dandelion’s opponent’s resolve falters as he sees how little effect his rending claws have had on the sturdy half-orc. He changes tactics, concentrating momentarily, then reaching out to grab her forearm.

Creature touches Dandelion [1d20] = 6

The agile half-orc knocks his claw upward with her shield. Our heroine then drives her trident into its exposed ribcage. Bones crack and blood spatters as it gasps in pain, and crumples slightly. The ‘talker’ is in trouble, and he knows it.

The ‘caster,’ facing off against Angus, also forgoes its swiping attack. It concentrates and reaches for the ranger,

Creature touches Angus [1d20] = 3

but Angus easily dodges the move and cuts a deep wound across the fiend’s shoulder and arm. Fear washes across its face too.

Hyde and his opponent have each other’s full attention, parrying each other’s advances with their long blades.

Creature attacks Hyde [1d20] = 1, crit [1d100] = 98, damage [1d10] = 8

Figgis takes advantage of his posterior position and cuts wounds in the foul creature’s lower back with both short sword and dagger. It screams in pain…and fear?

But not all goes the party’s way. Chet realizes too late that he is in over his head. The evil creature taunts the monk, but misses with another slash of his blade.

Creature attacks Chet [1d20] = 5, crit [1d100] = 42, damage [1d10] = 2

Kablamicus wracks his brain, trying to think of ways to help his injured comrade. But in the end he can only offer encouragement. Yenny summons Chet for healing, and the monk turns to flee towards her. The gnome and mage watch helplessly as Chet is slashed yet again by the blade, a thunk reverberating across the room as his head cracks against the ground.

Chet lost initiative versus his opponent, so it also gets an attack of opportunity as the monk tries to flee. :(

Creature attacks fleeing Chet [1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16, crit [1d100] = 29, damage [1d10] = 9

The evil creature, glee in its eyes, holds its sword aloft. Blood drips on the prone monk as it emits a victory cry. ”I’ll save you for some fun later – who’s next?” it asks as it looks from Chet’s motionless form to the others.

Hoping to silence the party’s foes, Yenny casts a dweomer above Angus’ head – and most of the room falls silent.

Galan, with no target to engage and dangerously exposed, attempts to blend in with the shadows amongst the crates in the room.

DM rolls dice

I’m NPCing Galan’s action – need to move this along after three days.
122417.png
122417.png (469.01 KiB) Viewed 432 times
Date: 25 Culling, Year 44
Time: 10:10
Conditions: 44F, damp
Known Spells in Effect: Bless for Yenny, Kablamicus, Angus, Galan, Figgis through 10:15; Silence cast above Angus' head through 10:20
Light bearers: Yenny’s bracelet
Injury Status: Galan, Dandelion, Hyde lightly wounded; Chet unconscious
Talker, caster, Sw2 heavily wounded, Sw1 moderately wounded (party estimates)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde doesn't even realize that Chet, the only member of his tribe even uglier than he, has fallen and in need of help. His immediate adversary has proven itself a challenge, and even his dim mind can't overlook the obvious: His Good Pals need his strength to survive this encounter! He needs to kill the one in front, and at least one more.

Init: [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3

To hit: [1d20+3] = 6+3 = 9

Crit: [1d100] = 38

I still say we need a face-palm smilie.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#211 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny rushes toward Chet, stopping as she reaches his fallen form to cast Cure light wounds. As she finishes, she stands upright behind her shield and glares at the creature. ”I’m next, punk.”

initiative [1d6] = 3, CLW [1d8] = 2

assuming there’s no time to check if he’s dead while staying defensive, Yenny just casts. If it is obvious—missing head or some such, she’ll flail instead.

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#213 Post by CAI4 »

Chet lays on the ground.

Should have gone for the eyes.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by Zhym »

"Now you done gone and made me cranky," says Angus, laying into the spell caster again.

Leddilir (THAC0 17): [1d20] = 16 [1d8+2] = 1+2 = 3/[1d12+2] = 5+2 = 7 (SM/L), Crit: [1d100] = 68

+4 damage if whatever these things are count as evil humanoids.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote: +4 damage if whatever these things are count as evil humanoids.
Angus does not avail of the bonus against these foes, FYI.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by onlyme »

Last edited by onlyme on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#217 Post by Tamerlaine »

Despite his lack of martial courage, Figgis will attempt to rake SW2 from behind once again.

short sword to hit: [1d20] = 16 Damage: [1d6] = 3 Critical: [1d100] = 73

dagger To Ht: [1d20] = 6 Damage: [1d4] = 3 Critical: [1d100] = 3

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by AleBelly »

Figgis cuts another wound into sinewy hindquarters, breaking the concentration of the fiend he and Hyde face. Perhaps overzealous, the dwarf stumbles as he stabs with his dagger (dagger roll was a critical miss).

Figgis fumble [1d100] = 23
stumble; roll DEX or less on d20 or fall and stunned for 1-6 rounds
Please roll a d20 for Figgis and if the DEX save fails roll a d6. Thanks!

The bald-headed freak gloating over felling Chet sends a silent snarl at Yenny standing beyond the doorway, then chooses Hyde as his next target! He strides towards the half-orc (now the ugliest conscious member of the party), two-handed sword raised. But he slips on a streak of Chet’s blood!
Creature attacks Hyde [1d20] = 4, crit [1d100] = 1, damage [1d10] = 10

Creature fumble [1d100] = 7
slip; roll DEX or less on d20 or fall and stunned for 1-4 rounds
Creature DEX check [1d20] = 6

Its attack is spoiled, but it rights itself to avoid becoming an easy target.

Dandelion attacks her opponent again, but its thick skin turns away her errant trident. After a brief period of concentration, it disappears…then reappears next to the prone form of Chet!

Dandelion will still get two trident attacks next round – she can walk to another target this round to set up two attacks next round

The ‘caster’ fighting Angus briefly concentrates, and it too disappears…reappearing in the northwestern corner of the room! However, the ranger is able to locate its position and deal another wound to the badly faltering creature.
”Mercccy!”
it cries.
”I can help you!”
It puts its hands behind its back.

Hyde is unable to wound his opponent. Galan appears from the shadows, aiming for the back of a foe…but again thick skin turns the short sword away.

Yenny strides into the room, and administers healing to Chet, who begins to stir. His wounds are still grevious, but it is enough to rouse him! The creature who had just teleported to the monk’s side allows Yenny to heal him, but puts two sharp claws at Chet’s throat, tilting its head. The air around the fiend is silent, but his intention is clear – attack him, and he will rend Chet’s throat.

Actions?
122817.png
122817.png (468.31 KiB) Viewed 374 times
Date: 25 Culling, Year 44
Time: 10:11
Conditions: 44F, damp
Known Spells in Effect: Bless for Yenny, Kablamicus, Angus, Galan, Figgis through 10:15; Silence cast above Angus' head through 10:20
Light bearers: Yenny’s bracelet
Injury Status: Galan, Dandelion, Hyde lightly wounded; Chet critically wounded
Talker, caster, Sw2 heavily wounded, Sw1 moderately wounded (party estimates)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion, pissed at being stood up during her traditional skewering waltz, attacks the chet mocking talker with renewed aggression.
Trident [1d20+3] = 15+3 = 18; dam S-M [1d6+6] = 1+6 = 7; crit [1d100] = 12; init [1d6] = 1

and attempts to finish off the sob with a second twirl, but appears to be just a bit off. (unless 2nd attempt comes after some adjusted AC, this hit AC3)
Trident [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14; dam S-M [1d6+6] = 4+6 = 10; crit [1d100] = 48; init [1d6] = 5
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Zhym »

"Now, see, there's the problem with attacking folks what ain't done you no harm yet," lectures Angus. "If it works out they can whup you, an offer of help lacks credibility. And here's another nugget of helpful advice: the sign for 'I give up, don't attack' is putting your hands in the air. Hands behind the back is the sign for 'I'm fixing to spring a nasty surprise.' Might want to keep that in mind."

Angus continues attacking, but turns the flat of his blade just in case.

Leddilir (THAC0 17): [1d20] = 17 [1d8+2] = 2+2 = 4/[1d12+2] = 2+2 = 4 (SM/L), Crit: [1d100] = 9
Initiative: [1d6] = 5

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”