Chapter 15 - To the Liberated City of Strod...and Below

AleBelly
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 15 - To the Liberated City of Strod...and Below

#21 Post by Zhym »

"Poisonous vapors?" asks Angus. "Is that there sign to keep the chillins out, or are we fixing to have trouble breathing in there?"

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#22 Post by enn.in.me »

"What of these poisonous vapors? Is that just the smell of decay, or is there something real with that?" Yenny has her shield and hammer at the ready and looks excited to be headed underground.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Bluehorse »

Kablamicus

Eyes the orcish children with some trepidation. He knows not what to do with them. "Shoo... shoo, I say..." he says sounding rather unsure of himself. He half expects them to chase him like the wild turkeys used too back when.... He shakes his head and simply moves to the middle of the party to keep some distance between himself and the children.

He reads the sign about poisonous vapors and calls after the guardsman as he leaves. "Wait! What about this sign? Do you have a canary?" Looking at Sophmore, he briefly considers the receptiveness of owls concerning common fumes in underground tunnels. The owl makes an irritated noise and Kablamicus scoffs. "I said nothing of the sort! ......... Well, yes, I did think it,
but I never said anything of th.... You're missing the point you damn bird! I know that! Now stop whining! You sound like your crazy when you complain like that where everyone can hear you, you know. What?! What did you say? Me?! ME?! I'll have you know I am not, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be crazy or perceived as so! I am a man of respect and the very air of dignity, and cannot waste my time arguing with... with... a common barnyard pest! Oh! I should have conjured a wyrmling...."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion asks if any townsfolks had seen what the orcs wore as they entered or exited this tunnel, wondering if they had on masks or other breathing aids.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote:"Poisonous vapors?" asks Angus. "Is that there sign to keep the chillins out, or are we fixing to have trouble breathing in there?"
"Yes" chuckles the guard. "That sign is there to keep out curiosity seekers. Or teenage lads trying to impress the girls."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Zhym »

Angus laughs. "I reckon that there sign ain't stopping 'em any more than what it would have stopped me when I was a young'un. If we see any of 'em down there, we'll make sure to send 'em back to their mamas."

With that, and after checking that everyone is ready, he descends.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde takes in the surroundings and conversations, but is distracted by the Half-Orc children. Hey, you lot! These folks, they ain't got no idea what it be like to be us, hah? I got a piece of silver for the one who can tell me what lies beyond that door, yeahh. Them Orcs, they be waitin' for us, or they be far undaground, hidin'? They got traps, guards, or just be tryin' to find a way out? They got any secret ways in? Or out? He brandishes a silver coin just beyond the younglings' reach.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Bluehorse »

Kablamicus

angles his head up a little just so he can look down his nose as Sophmore a little. "See? Nothing to worry about. Worry wort.
A clever ploy to keep the youth from running amok is all... What did you say? I certainly did not... Well yes, I was curious about how sensitive owls are to vapors... I never said... Now just a moment... Well, of course, I thought of it! I think of everything... How dare you suggest such a thing? I merely thought about it as a purely academic and pragmatic question of.... you. wouldn't. dare."
The owl and the mage begin having what can only be described as a staring contest.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#30 Post by Tamerlaine »

Figgis clearly dislikes the quietude of Strod and his face reveals both this and his annoyance with the new mage and his histrionics. Bloody tall folk, he thinks with a sneer to the half-breed orc children following them. As they reach the threshold, the ugly dwarf begins to tug at one end of his bushy moustache. He stands there, swathed in black, his boots and the edges of his cloak caked and smudged with mud.

Gods, he muses, how he hates rain...and the cursed mud. And all the tall folk near him and that thing named Hyde. To be back in Alleborg, in a brothel flush with gold from a heist with both a flagon in one hand and a...

“Let’s get down into the ground,” he grumbles while pulling up a dark cloth up over his lower face, leaving only pair of glittering eyes. “And ye all are smart” and there was doubt in his voice as to that, “you’ll leave me to nose on ahead into the darkness where I ken check fer traps and changes under the ground. Otherwise put me in back where I ken use me bow.”

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion follows.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#32 Post by CAI4 »

Chet watches the back-and-forth between Kablamicus and his owl with interest. At some point, the monk enters a brief but intense period of meditation...then begins communicating with the owl in a series of hoots and whistles.

When the exchange is over, Chet grins and walks away smiling.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Bluehorse »

Kablambicus

The young mage follows after the group, keeping to the middle as before, his eyes alert and darting to and fro. "Anyone have an idea how... far it is? You don't think we will have to decend long do you?" His tone seemed to have changed as they entered the passage. Nerves maybe?

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by Nuke66 »

Tamerlaine wrote:“Let’s get down into the ground,” he grumbles while pulling up a dark cloth up over his lower face, leaving only pair of glittering eyes. “And ye all are smart” and there was doubt in his voice as to that, “you’ll leave me to nose on ahead into the darkness where I ken check fer traps and changes under the ground. Otherwise put me in back where I ken use me bow.”
Galen offers, "I can help, and hold my own. Safety in numbers and all that."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by AleBelly »

tkrexx wrote:Hyde takes in the surroundings and conversations, but is distracted by the Half-Orc children. Hey, you lot! These folks, they ain't got no idea what it be like to be us, hah? I got a piece of silver for the one who can tell me what lies beyond that door, yeahh. Them Orcs, they be waitin' for us, or they be far undaground, hidin'? They got traps, guards, or just be tryin' to find a way out? They got any secret ways in? Or out? He brandishes a silver coin just beyond the younglings' reach.
The guards begin shooing away the children when Hyde stops them, looking for information. He can see they respond positively to the mention of their shared outcast nature, and the silver certainly lights up their eyes. But they have no knowledge of what lies beyond the door. "Only specials went in there" says the half-orc girl.

"We been guarding this door since we took Strod" informs the guard. "After 40 years living under the pig bastards, nobody goes searching them out, yeah?" He looks at the kids. "Keep yer traps shut. Nobody finds out we were talkin' about this door, y'hear?"

Figgis is impatient to get underground, and advises the others he should lead underneath. Galan offers to assist him, perhaps being skilled in the same arts.

In the meantime, Kablamicus bickers with his owl. Chet, in his blue robe, meditates and begins communicating with the owl.

DM rolls dice

The owl alights, flapping its massive wings. Seconds later, Kablamicus feels two pellets strike his hat. The smell tells him what they are. Chet walks away giggling. It appears the owl did indeed dare.

Angus walks forward, and pushes on the door. It holds fast. A stronger shove opens it with a creak. Daylight reveals a 10' wide passage descending 20' into the dark.

Actions?

Date: 25 Culling, Year 44
Time: 07:05
Conditions: 39F, raining
Known Spells in Effect: None
Light bearers: sun
Intended Direction of Travel: At the door of the orc stronghold
Injury Status: None

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#36 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny - "Does anybody need light?"

I think Angus still has the continual light bauble from before if he wants to.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by AleBelly »

So the party's OK with Figgis and Galan leading the way?

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#38 Post by enn.in.me »

I'm okay with that.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Zhym »

If they want to go in front and trigger find traps, that's fine by me. But we're going to be awfully soft in the front if we suddenly find ourselves in combat in a tight space.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion agrees to let them go first initially, but thinks they need more muscle thereafter.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”