Chapter 14 - To the Gardens in Azurpenia's Prison

AleBelly
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 14 - To the Gardens in Azurpenia's Prison

#121 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde sighs heavily, and finally lays down his arms. These here ain't toys, no, don't be playin' with 'em, hah?

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#122 Post by CAI4 »

Chet looks a bit nervous, but seeing the others laying down their arms leads him to do the same.

I still have my fists anyway he thinks to himself.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion likewise gently lays her trident down along with her other armaments.
She feels under dressed, much like wearing a necklace without the accompanied earrings.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by AleBelly »

However reluctantly, the party lay down their arms and spell materiel. The courtiers promise to look after them well. One seems particularly impressed by Angus' sword, but decorum prevents him from commenting.

They are led into the king's throne room. It is, well, fit for a king. It is a large expanse, with high arched ceilings. A roaring fire throws light off the orange brick walls.

King Casmir is old, perhaps in his 80s, but still appears strong. He fills the chair comfortably, as if he has occupied the throne - uninterrupted - for decades. He holds his ceremonial sword in front of him.

He speaks in a velvety, baritone voice. "Greetings. I was sure I would never have the pleasure of acknowledging your role in restoring me to my throne. Two years in the wilderness, and yet you return unscathed. I should like to hear the story sometime. Perhaps you can relay it to Targus."

His kindly, but unsmiling, visage looks over the party. "But that is not why you are here today. I have discussed with my advisors some way we may acknowledge your contributions to the restoration of Masmuria. One we have done months ago - your friend Hellebore has been released from the dungeon. She has returned to the Frogmorton swamp where she lives with her mother. But this does not benefit you directly."

He pauses again.

"Your souls are those of adventurers. And if you wish to continue to explore what lies outside the bounds of my kingdom, you may do so. If so, I wish you luck. But I extend to each and every one of you the title of Protectors of the Crown. The kingdom wishes to invest in your further development in the practice of your craft, be it fighting, the arcane arts, or more spiritual matters. We do not wish to train assassins, though I waste my breath in this utterance I'm sure. None of you seem murderers for hire."

He gauges the individual reactions.

"The caveat is, of course, that you will be in service to the crown. As we reestablish our rightful place in the world, we will encounter nuisances, significant threats, and perhaps even existential threats. Your unique skills qualify you above many others to counter these obstacles. So, in short, if you wish to be Protectors, we will have missions for you from time to time, and you will be obligated to perform them. In return, we feed you, develop you, and raise your places within our society."

"It would be unreasonable for me to expect a response now. My courtiers will receive your response when you decide. But first, have you any questions?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Storm11 »

Your royal highness, Tempus steps forward, bowing low, his blonde dreadlocks brushing the floor as he does so, I would first get the measure of you, having never heard of you before, you understand. How are your policies and edicts protecting the natural world around us, what have you to say on topics such as logging and hunting, and fishing. How do those who work for you go about farming and tending to the sacred forests in the kingdom? I warn you plainly that these things are under my protection, and if you treat them all poorly we will, unfortunately, be enemies. My order does not tolerate excessive disregard and abuse from human depredations, and I could never serve someone who does so wantonly. I am a Druid of the order, now and forever first. It is fair I should warn you this before you extend your offer officially, so that I will know you, and you will know me.

He bows again and stands back to hear the old man's reply.
Greys Campaign.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#126 Post by enn.in.me »

curious what thoughts, if any, Yenny would have heard in yesterday's gossip session at the church.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion looks around and finally aloud the obvious question everyone else has been thinking.

What would we wear? A uniform?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Zhym »

Angus, somewhat noted for having a problem with authority, scratches the underside of his beard.

"It's a mighty gracious offer," he drawls, "and I'll sure give it a ponder. But what if we got a problem with one of your missions? Would we be able to leave your service without a hubbub? And would we be serving the crown, or you personally? Begging your pardon, but those ain't always been the same. And if I decline to become 'Protector of the Crown,' would you still let me go on those missions as what I think are worthy? I don't reckon 'Freelance Protector of the Crown' is a thing, is it?" Anugs grins.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde keeps quiet and toward the rear.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by AleBelly »

Storm11 wrote:Your royal highness, Tempus steps forward, bowing low, his blonde dreadlocks brushing the floor as he does so, I would first get the measure of you, having never heard of you before, you understand. How are your policies and edicts protecting the natural world around us, what have you to say on topics such as logging and hunting, and fishing. How do those who work for you go about farming and tending to the sacred forests in the kingdom? I warn you plainly that these things are under my protection, and if you treat them all poorly we will, unfortunately, be enemies. My order does not tolerate excessive disregard and abuse from human depredations, and I could never serve someone who does so wantonly. I am a Druid of the order, now and forever first. It is fair I should warn you this before you extend your offer officially, so that I will know you, and you will know me.

He bows again and stands back to hear the old man's reply.
Casmir seems taken aback at the halfling's bold words, but recovers quickly to his placid demeanor. "The forest feeds us and nurtures us all, brave druid. Yes, we must build a road or two, and land must be cultivated. Therefore, trees must fall. But it would be a folly to harm that which shields us from wind, modulates extremes in temperature, and serves as habitat for our animal friends. Should you visit Strod, you will see what a blight evil folk are on the forests, streams, and plains. That which you protect is much better off under our protection, Tempus, than left to the whims of evildoers."
enn.in.me wrote:curious what thoughts, if any, Yenny would have heard in yesterday's gossip session at the church.
Yenny has, in fact, felt her hunger wane over the last 24 hours. Her appetite has now fallen below that of a halfling. But her colleagues at the church of Veles are baffled at the source of the hunger. There was little gossip, other than the new reality that Mycor is the most trusted holy man in Alleborg. Yenny finds the clergy there in much better spirits than when she last left them years ago. They seem very happy with the reestablishment of the kingdom.
onlyme wrote:Dandelion looks around and finally aloud the obvious question everyone else has been thinking.

What would we wear? A uniform?
"No uniform made by the hands of men would be worthy of your beauty, Dandelion. If you wish to guard the city walls, or patrol our small kingdom, you may wear a uniform. But it would be a poor use of your skills" Casmir smiles.
Zhym wrote:Angus, somewhat noted for having a problem with authority, scratches the underside of his beard.

"It's a mighty gracious offer," he drawls, "and I'll sure give it a ponder. But what if we got a problem with one of your missions? Would we be able to leave your service without a hubbub? And would we be serving the crown, or you personally? Begging your pardon, but those ain't always been the same. And if I decline to become 'Protector of the Crown,' would you still let me go on those missions as what I think are worthy? I don't reckon 'Freelance Protector of the Crown' is a thing, is it?" Anugs grins.
"Mine will be a kingdom of justice" replies the king. "I do not anticipate insurrections, but even if they would occur, you would not be called to quell them. But I get ahead of myself. All of you would be serving me...and the crown. I speak with you directly today out of gratitude for your part in restoring Masmuria to its rightful state. Given the demands upon my time, you would receive most of your orders through my commander, Jobin. But I digress. You would be expected to follow all orders. If you choose not to, our agreement will terminate permanently. If you wish to provide for your own training, I would not object to your participation in your colleagues' mission."

The king smiles. "My intelligence is accurate - this group has a strong inclination towards self-determination. Perhaps you need to consider my offer?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus shakes his long dreadlocks and offers a smile. "I can only speak for myself, but I accept your offer. Protector of the Crown it is, until such time as it is not. Such is the way of the cycle of life. Your treatment of the land aligns firmly with the order, and I find I like you more than the Alleborg of old. I accept your gracious offer to train with the masters of my order. What would you have me do once that is complete? A mission perhaps? A quest?" the halfling initiate asks, getting more and more excited as the prospects become more and more outlandish in his mind.

"Not back to that strange prison I hope! Say, is there accommodation involved in this deal? !"
Greys Campaign.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#132 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny waits her turn before speaking up, her voice firm but quiet. "As I'm sure you know, my lord, I serve Veles and the church of Veles first and foremost. I would most happily undertake to serve the crown and its people as well, as I believe the church has always tried to do--at least while the crown was worthy. I will join your service and pray that a time never comes again when there is conflict between the spiritual and terrestrial leaders of this land."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Zhym »

"'A strong inclination towards self-determination.' I do believe that's the nicest way a man's ever called me an ornery son of a bitch," says Angus with a smile. "You ain't wrong, though."

"I'm honored by your offer, and I'll ponder it. I truly will." Angus pauses, the words he needs to say not coming easy to him. "My first duty's to the people of Alleborg. It's them I fight to protect—them that's too weak or too poor to fight for themselves, or them what're strong and just got themselves other callings. Got no illusions I'm any better than the farmers, blacksmiths, gutter sweepers, and them others what got themselves honest work or are trying to. Want me to swear myself Protector of the People and the Realm? That I'd do, and gladly. Doing it already, best I can. Protector of King and Crown—well, that hangs on whether the Crown is protector of the people. What I hear, you're a good king. But I don't know you, not yet, and I ain't sure I'm ready to pledge myself to you. Still, can't say it'd be a hardship to have someone else paying for my training. That's money what could do a lot of people a lot of good. Ain't right to keep it from them because of pride."

Angus pauses just a moment, dimly aware, perhaps, that he is wasting a king's time. He nods, reaching a decision—a decision not to decide. Not just yet. "I reckon I'll be marching where you point whether I swear an oath or not. These folks and me, we been through a lot, and I'll stick with them until someone forces me not to. But I've gotta do some hard thinking. Got to figure out whether I'm reluctant to take your oath because you might turn bad or because I'm just an ornery son of a bitch what can't take orders."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by tkrexx »

Jobin?? Hyde unintentionally pipes up, What become of Captain Castleman, hah? I mean, Sire? Me and him, we be good pals, yeahh, he always treated us right, nevva swerved us. I like Jobin, he be a good man, and he ain't got reason to trust me, no. But Captain Castleman be the one who hired us. I'd like to hear his words on the matta before I make any call. 'Til then, me and Angus, we be on the same page, yeahh.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#135 Post by enn.in.me »

"Umm, Hyde.", Yenny says quietly, "I think we heard that Castleman didn't make it through the fighting."

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: OOC IV

#136 Post by CAI4 »

Chet scratches his chin thoughtfully as others speak with the king. Finally, he speaks up.

"I will except the offer, if you can promise these three things:

1. We never have to kill any innocent animals, nature, or wildlife.
2. We should only use our weapons if necessary in enemy battles - not for other things
3. Uh, I forget the third."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by AleBelly »

enn.in.me wrote:"Umm, Hyde.", Yenny says quietly, "I think we heard that Castleman didn't make it through the fighting."
King Casmir nods ruefully at Yenny's reminder. "Masmuria lost many sons - and daughters - to free our brothers and sisters from Strod Strod is the Orc City, to remind you. It will not surprise you to learn that Captain Castleman was valiant until the very end.

I thank those of you that have accepted my offer. What I ask is not a shift of loyalties - but I do ask you add another. Chet, Yenny, Angus, Tempus, Galan, Rufus, Arnulf, Sagthistle, Dandelion, Hyde...the offer remains as long as you continue to exemplify the ideals of Masmuria.

Since some of you have already accepted, I will confer with my advisors. We will select one or more missions and Jobin will summon you when they have been defined. I wish you all well, whatever path you may take."

As they party considers the offers, several of the party members make their choices.

Tears well up in Arnulf's eyes as he looks upon his longtime companions. "I am only here because of you...at least those of you that rescued me from the orc slavers months - er, years ago. I now have some esteem amongst the townsfolk, and my relationship with my family has been restored. But really, I am not as brave as all of you. I...I'm sorry, but I wish to stay within the confines of Alleborg to study my magic and enjoy time with my family."

One, then two tears trickle down his face. But he is not ashamed. "I cannot leave you in a lurch like this, though. I will find someone in the guild who will be a more worthy companion." The sleeve of his robe falls down his meaty forearm as he smears his tears across his face. "I wish you all well. Please visit me when you return so I may hear your tales of bravery." With that, he embraces each of the party members (or shakes their hand, given their level of formality).

Sagthistle decides to join the patrols of the town and environs. "This service, thankless and necessary, is required of me to pay penance for my past sins. I thank you King Casmir." With a nod to the party, she departs.

Rufus smiles at the party. "I am not yet worthy of this honor. I shall weigh my options and perhaps our paths will cross in the future, my friends."

Bluehorse will be joining as an Arnulf stand-in. Might take a few days to get something together for you all, so if you'd like to travel around town either in public or private forums please do so. I also want to give potential new players time to join.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion is relieved that she will not have to wear a uniform, at least one that is made for the other members of her party. She gracefully accepts her position and asks what next she should do.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Zhym »

Angus listens wistfully as Arnulf, Sagthistle, and Rufus announce their departure. The group he joined as the new feller has changed so much in a short—or long—time. He thinks back on the departed Ilfrien, Elf Bitch in the best way possible, calling Arnulf "Chet." Never did figure out what the heck she meant by that. He also thinks back to the arguments between Hellebore and, well, everyone. These were people he thought of as the core of the group. Now, they're dead, or off to other pursuits.

But Hyde, Dandelion, and Yenny are still with him. And Tempus. Wasn't that long he was the new guy. Now he's practically an old salt.

Angus offers the boy mage a firm handshake, then grabs the kid in a big hug, unable to help himself. "Ain't gonna be the same without you," he says.

For no particular reason, he wonders if Leylana is still in Sambord, and how two years have treated her. She's two years closer to his age now, he realizes—well, one year, anyway.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by tkrexx »

Gonna miss ya, Arnulf, Hyde's huge eyes well up, his grin is as genuine as it is ghastly,And the way ya always put me to sleep at the first of a fight. But at least we ain't gotta bury ya. Whoeva take your place has some mighty big shoes to fill... Like 300 pounds worth! AAAAA!
HAHAHAHAHAHH!!
He pokes the portly Wizard in his formidable stomach, then also hugs him, trying not to break the youngster's back in the process. Ya go on, now. Go make yourself betta at what ya do, then ya come back to us, hah?

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”