Chapter 14 - To the Gardens in Azurpenia's Prison

AleBelly
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 14 - To the Gardens in Azurpenia's Prison

#81 Post by tkrexx »

Feeling the ground tremble and fearing the worst, Hyde bellows his call to battle (Or, in this case, cry to flee). AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! And charges for the exit.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by AleBelly »

The ground trembles, furthering the party’s desire to leave this strange place. Perhaps Lady Crucem’s words, spoken earlier this day, haunt them as they leave:

“…upon entering, I destroy. And if I destroy, I retrieve none of the treasures that lie within. Some of the scoundrels that are held fast within will die. But others will roam free in your world. And this would vex you greatly."

viewtopic.php?f=176&t=6116&start=60#p285260

Chet produces the blue orb of light, and the party heads up the stairs, through the stone, and back to the surface.

They are greeted by a light, cold rain. Even this feels good after the stale, humid air from the prison. The sunlight, attenuated by the grey clouds above, is a welcome change from the dim lamps from below. It is then that the party realizes something is askew. It should be night time. Yet the sun sits just above the eastern horizon. Angus looks about. The grasses show no trace of their passage to the prison entrance just hours earlier.
Visibility is limited by conditions, but there are no evident changes in the topography.

Actions?

Date: 16 Culling, Year 42 (?)
Time: 19:50 (??)
Conditions: 41F, strong west wind at 20 mph, light rain
Known Spells in Effect: Tempus invisible, Yenny under hunger enchantment
Light bearers: sun
Intended Direction of Travel: ??
Injury Status: Chet, Yenny, Rufus moderately wounded; Sagthistle slightly wounded; Angus, Arnulf, Galan lightly wounded;

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Zhym »

Angus breathes deep the fresh air, then looks back at the prison with a scowl. "Don't much like the thought of what's in there getting out," he says, "but damned if I ain't a wee bit tickled to be rid of it. That place just ain't right."

"I reckon we better suss out how long we been in there." He looks at the trees, the position of the sun, and the place where the party's tracks should be to see if he can get some idea of how much time has passed since the group entered the prison.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#84 Post by enn.in.me »

"Based on my rumbling belly, it seems like days, but I suspect you've got a better time piece with the sun and the trees." Yenny looks around a bit, making sure they are where they were when they entered, and sits down for a snack.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote:Angus breathes deep the fresh air, then looks back at the prison with a scowl. "Don't much like the thought of what's in there getting out," he says, "but damned if I ain't a wee bit tickled to be rid of it. That place just ain't right."

"I reckon we better suss out how long we been in there." He looks at the trees, the position of the sun, and the place where the party's tracks should be to see if he can get some idea of how much time has passed since the group entered the prison.
Please give a d100

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Zhym »

Tracking: [1d100] = 95

Higher is better, right? :lol:

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote:Tracking: [1d100] = 95

Higher is better, right? :lol:
:?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by AleBelly »

Angus searches about, looking for any signs of tread. With a group this size (especially with the bear), he would certainly expect to find something.

The ranger is tired, and it's cold and rainy. But he can at least conclude that no fewer than two or three days have passed since they ascended this hill...unless some other forces intervened to confuse the group.

Date: 16 Culling, Year 42 (?)
Time: 9:00ish
Conditions: 41F, strong west wind at 20 mph, light rain
Known Spells in Effect: Tempus invisible, Yenny under hunger enchantment
Light bearers: sun
Intended Direction of Travel: ??
Injury Status: Chet, Yenny, Rufus moderately wounded; Sagthistle slightly wounded; Angus, Arnulf, Galan lightly wounded;

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Zhym »

"Ain't much to do I reckon but get our tails back to Sambord," says Angus. If there are no objections, he leads the way.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#90 Post by enn.in.me »

None here.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion follows quickly...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by tkrexx »

Think them Sambords be happy to see us, hah? Hyde's grin shows he'll be happy to see them.

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#94 Post by CAI4 »

"Back to the boring real world at the Sambords" says Chet cheerfully as he goes with the group.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by AleBelly »

The party exits the prison, but the rumbling earth underneath, the discordant daylight, and any trace of their path being wiped from the hill leaves them less comforted than they had hoped.

Still, they forge on towards the Sambord fort.

Down the hill. Through the swampy marshes at the foot of the hill. Then through the forest to the old road. All while being lashed by a stiff cold wind carrying a light rain.

It does not take a ranger to notice that the road shows more traffic than when they last left it. Impressions in the mud match those of human feet, shod horses, and the narrow trace of wagon wheels. Tired, cold, and confused, they press on to the Sambord fort. They are soon intercepted by a quartet of men on horseback.

Halt! one calls as they canter towards the party. They are well-attired in unfamiliar uniforms...save a green sash across their chest. Indeed, the sash of the Sambords. It's not long before they are recognized. Perhaps it's Tempus' bear, Chet's disfigured face, the burly half-orc ballerina, or the rare smallfolk amongst the party that leads to their identification. "As I live and breathe." one exclaims.

"Two years hence!" calls another.

One by one, they break into stunned, bewildered smiles.

"Follow us, please, sirs and madams!" The leader's voice has now softened considerably from the barked 'halt.' "The king'll want to speak with you immediately!"

Actions?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus' eyes bulge at the mention of the king! "Errrr .... King?" he says quizzically. "Two years? It's only been a day or two in the prison! Time really IS different in there. Do we look any older?" he asks the mounted men. Clambering on Clarence to ride the drenched dreadlocked halfling looks at the others in shock and pats the bear comfortingly.
Greys Campaign.

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#97 Post by CAI4 »

Chet counts his fingers. "It's only been...36...hours?! I thought a day was 24 hours. Huh. So, did years and days switch places? Aw man, this makes no sense."

He will follow the horsemen.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion starts panicking, as subtly as she can.
2 years? Quick... a mirror... She looks into her shiny trident to see if she has any wrinkles.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Zhym »

Angus lets out a low whistle. Two years? He considers the rumbling prison and the passage of time, wondering if they made a mistake leaving the prison without the statue that bossy lady wanted. Touching the vial holding Chronia's tear, he considers whether he should undo it all. But he also remembers Chronia's warning about the dangers of reversing events long past. Thinking about Chronia, he wonders if her condition is cause or effect of the prison's fast passage of time.

He's also never been one to trust blindly. So much bad was afoot a day and a half—or two years—ago. That cult of Zerbert or whatever his name was. The orc city. The High Priest Wassname being keen on bringing about a catechism. Or cataclysm. One of them things. Anyway, Angus's luck hasn't been the kind to have all those threats resolve themselves favorably.

"What's this king feller's name, and just what's he king of?" he asks.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde furrows his brow and skews his face in confusion. Hah??

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”