Chapter 14 - To the Gardens in Azurpenia's Prison

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 14 - To the Gardens in Azurpenia's Prison

#41 Post by AleBelly »

Tempus hatches a plan. Then Angus re-hatches it. The halfling cannot betray annoyance by his face, for he remains invisible. Yenny gathers the party around her as she grasps her intricate steel holy symbol and bestows upon them the blessings of Veles. They feel a warmth, a swell of confidence, and sudden pangs of hunger. Chet and Tempus felt this upon their last visit. The party feels compelled to eat a day's rations.

Please deduct a day's rations. If you don't have any, please beg from another...let me know if your PC doesn't have any.

The plan seems to work. The door opens, and the corridor appears empty. The sound of the snail bumping into the middle door is heard. Yenny examines the foliage. It does not appear to move on its own, or exhibit any other unnatural properties. Indeed, Tempus concludes that these vines are entirely natural.

As they saw the first time they opened the door, a passage in the south wall, bathed in shadow, is the only path forward from here.

Actions?

Date: 16 Culling, Year 42
Time: 20:51
Conditions: 54F, calm, room dark and damp
Known Spells in Effect: Yenny under some sort of hunger enchantment, Tempus invisible, Party blessed through 20:57
Light bearers: Lamps in rooms - Angus' lantern has 3.5 hours worth of oil left in it but is unlit. Chet torch until 21:23
Intended Direction of Travel:

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Storm11 »

The dreadlocked halfling bumps unseen into Dandelion once again. "Please give me some of your rations, I am suddenly starving! I will make it worth your while!" his disembodied voice begs desperately.
Greys Campaign.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#43 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny, her food easily accessible, chews quickly as we head towards the door. "Hmm, I just can't seem to get full! I never really liked these trail rations, but, mmm, they are some yummy today."

One day's marked off.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by tkrexx »

I got some, Hyde offers, tho his demeanor is clearly distracted by the party's proximity to the giant snail, Let's get past this slug first, hah?

1 rat marked off, let me know when another is devoured.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by AleBelly »

I don't want to hold up advancing this on account of hunger, so just let me know in your next post that you've accounted for this...

The plan seems to work. The party makes its way west down the narrow corridor. The less graceful (certainly not Dandelion) stumble over the broken paving stones, vines and roots. The invisible Tempus and Chet, are the first to exit the corridor, entering the larger room. Tempus peeks down the parallel corridor to the north and sees the back of the giant snail. Perhaps it is still trying to figure out what is happening.

Torch aloft, Chet peers into the room to the south (there is no door). It is dark - no light glows from the ceiling. From what he can see (which isn't much), the room is choked with thorny bushes. There is no obvious path forward, and walking through the bushes without getting tangled will take some care.

The light behind the monk (and his torchlight) penetrate only 15' or so into the room. In addition to the wall running east, he sees another just to his right running south. A wide arch leads to another room...it is also dark. He cannot see the opposite walls.

Actions?

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#46 Post by enn.in.me »

does it seem unnaturally dark, or simply that we don't have enough light? If the latter, Yenny presents her light rock, being careful to keep herself between it and the snail.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Zhym »

"Reckon our trusty druid might could slip right through all that," suggests Angus.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by AleBelly »

enn.in.me wrote:does it seem unnaturally dark, or simply that we don't have enough light? If the latter, Yenny presents her light rock, being careful to keep herself between it and the snail.
It seems unnaturally dark. But it's not the result of a darkness spell, at least not one Yenny has ever seen.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by tkrexx »

AAA! Hyde is clearly annoyed, Brambles! Pucker brush!

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus peers into the tangled mess, and says to the others to stay there. The halfling will then attempt to move through the beginnings of the underbrush to see if he can do as the ranger suggests.
Greys Campaign.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion politely devoured her daily rations and as an act of extreme charity, offers one to the begging halfling.
She follows in line, looking for anything she might start seeing coming out of the darkness.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Storm11 »

onlyme wrote:Dandelion politely devoured her daily rations and as an act of extreme charity, offers one to the begging halfling.
She follows in line, looking for anything she might start seeing coming out of the darkness.

"youmph wontmph regret this om nom nom" muffles the starving halfling as food winks out of existence rapidly. "If ever you want your belongings warding with druidry or healing I will assist you good lady!" Tempus says once he's finished eating.
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by AleBelly »

Dandelion hands rations over to Tempus. It is an amazing thing to see food disappear, bite by bite, then fade as it hovers, seemingly in mid-air.

The party hears a command, which by now they understand to be a 'stay' command to Clarence. Then, the mass of black rose bushes move ever so slightly.

The halfling druid moves 5' into the growth. It is enough for him to conclude that yes, he can move through unencumbered. The others may have problems with the thorns unless they move quite deliberately through the thicket. Perhaps quarter normal speed?

Ever observant, the druid does notice something strange about the roses. They reflect no light at all. In fact, they seem to absorb it slightly. Perhaps this is the reason for the attenuated torchlight?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Zhym »

"If we were outside, I'd conjure we should just hack our way through the tangles," says Angus, holding up his hand axe. "This being Azurpenia's Prison of the Weird and Downright Unsettling, I reckon them vines'd bleed green blood or grab us or turn out to be the hair of a giant critter or something."

"Hell of a thing, being in a place where you can't do the obvious."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus will move to the wall of the garden and move around it to see if he can find any other exits leading out of the room.
Greys Campaign.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion just nods at Angus' words. She holds her trident ready.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by AleBelly »

I'm trying to get my posting rate back to where it was a few months ago. As Tempus works his way along the wall, will he do so towards the opening,
or away from it? How far will he go before he turns back (say, for instance, the wall is 300' long, will he go that far?) Also, will the other party members wait?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Storm11 »

He will movefor two rounds into the foliage along the wall and then turn back, his scimitar and shield at the ready. He will then return to the others and report his findings.
Greys Campaign.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#59 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny waits, her shield hand still holding the wrapped light stone.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde hears the rustling and snapping of someone pushing into the brambles he so intensely dislikes. You ok in there, hah, Rope-Head?

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”