Chapter 13 - Azurpenia's Prison

AleBelly
CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Chapter 13 - Azurpenia's Prison

#541 Post by CAI4 »

Zhym wrote:
enn.in.me wrote:I think if we can go through that door," says Yenny, pointing to the door in the SE of Chronia's room, "we might be able to ambush the ambushers. That would make Chet happy and perhaps give us a little more freedom of movement."
"Good a notion as any, I reckon," says Angus.
Chet grins. "Yeah, that sounds awesome!"

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#542 Post by tkrexx »

Yeahh, Hyde mumbles as he sees no apparent choreographed steps from the bird-men as they clatter thru the chessroom. Maybe leave one alive for questioning, hah?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#543 Post by AleBelly »

Hyde watches as the crow-masked men(?) carry the arch south, out of Chronia's anteroom. He is amazed that they seem to move across the black sinking floor (the room between the anteroom and the chess room) without sinking. The half-orc notes that they move as swiftly as possible across the black floor. The feet of the crowmen make brief impressions on the floor, but they do not sink. The fifth crowman, hands near his belt, is the last to go. "I bid you farewell. Speak not of what you saw." With that, he turns and moves swiftly across the black-floored room to the chess room then out of sight.

Following Yenny's suggestion, the party walks across Chronia's large, decrepit room to the door in the southeast corridor. The troubled, beautiful woman watches wistfully after them as she begins playing her golden pipes.

Hoping to get the drop on the crowmen, the party approaches the southeast door. Galan listens for noise, but hears nothing. He pushes it open...

DM rolls dice

revealing a room with several doors (door #5 in the map)...and ten crowmen! The figures look identical to those just encountered, but their robes aren't ripped...and there are twice as many as there were in the previous group. It cannot be the same group. These crowmen also take a decidedly more aggressive stance.

Surprise? party 1-2 [1d6] = 3 Others 1-2 [1d6] = 4

One calls to the party. His voice carries a similar accent to the previous crowmen. "Most unfortunate for you, strangers. You are to be separated from your belongings. Let's have 'em or we'll take em!"

Four crowmen begin taking the unmistakable stance of a spellcaster, two raise bows, while the hands of the others move towards the hilts of their sheathed short swords.

Actions?

Map: you are entering from Chronia's room. Each square is 5'. The pinkish-colored rectangles are doors, the black borders are walls. Other grey tiles are shown where walls aren't seen and the room could extend in unseen directions.

It's difficult to see, but Yenny and Angus are in the row behind Galan and Chet.
I also forgot to drag Tempus and Clarence's icons onto the screen. They're right next to Angus

Apr26.png
Apr26.png (509.87 KiB) Viewed 437 times
Date: 16 Culling, Year 42
Time: 20:20
Conditions: 54F, calm, room dark and damp
Known Spells in Effect: Yenny under some sort of hunger enchantment; Galan, Tempus wracked
Light bearers: Lamps in rooms - Angus' lantern has 3.5 hours worth of oil left in it but is unlit.
Intended Direction of Travel:
Injury Status: Chet lightly wounded

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#544 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny watches the beasts, confirming which ones are casting spells, and then throws a vial of Greek fire towards the two casters to the SE. "Have fun Chet!", she says with a smile.

NOTE: If her low initiative means that she would be at risk of hitting her buddies, she would throw deeper into the enemies, towards one(s) not engaged.

Initiative [1d6] = 1
Greek Fire [1d20] = 17
fire damage [1d8] = 6

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#545 Post by Zhym »

Angus steps to the side to make space for people to run into the room.

"You got a hankering for our stuff?" he says. "Here. Have some arrows." With his last +2 arrow he tries to stop one of the casters from casting.

Initiative: [1d6] = 6
Short bow, +2 arrow (THAC0 17): TH: [1d20+2] = 9+2 = 11, Dmg: [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6, Crit: [1d100] = 26
Short bow (THAC0 17): TH: [1d20] = 13, Dmg: [1d6] = 2, Crit: [1d100] = 89

His target for the second arrow will depend on timing, if possible. If he can still interrupt spell casting, he'll target another caster (assuming the first arrow hits). If it comes after any casting would have happened, Angus will concentrate fire on the same target he shot his first arrow at (assuming he didn't kill it). If none of those those conditionals and assumptions are valid, Angus will default to targeting casters.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#546 Post by onlyme »

DAndelion quickly grabs her bow and fires a shot to hopefully disrupt any casting. She misses, as usual with her bow.
sht bow [1d20] = 7; dam [1d6] = 4; crit [1d100] = 84; init [1d6] = 1
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#547 Post by enn.in.me »

sht bow == sh*t bow, or short bow?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#548 Post by onlyme »

enn.in.me wrote:sht bow == sh*t bow, or short bow?

A lady does not use that language, my dear. But, either seem to be appropriate.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#549 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus, if he can, will scuttle out of the way behind the wall to get out of the way for the taller members of the party a shot, seen as he is behind others with no clear shot with his sling. He will
Call Clarence with him
Greys Campaign.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#550 Post by tkrexx »

Stinkin' Bird-faces! Hyde grumbles and draws his blade. He positions himself to the left side of the door before entering, in case one of the enemy gets off a spell. This way at least not all his tribe will be affected.

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#551 Post by CAI4 »

"You bet I will" beams Chet. He waits for the first volley of arrows to fly, then attacks the spellcaster directly ahead of him.

Beat the crap out of 'em init [1d6] = 4 hit [1d20] = 1 crit [1d100] = 1 damage [1d6] = 6

Well, that's a fumble by any rule...

Fumble roll [1d100] = 80

Hit self, double damage... :cry:

Extra damage roll [1d6] = 6 :cry: :cry:

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#552 Post by AleBelly »

onlyme wrote:DAndelion quickly grabs her bow and fires a shot to hopefully disrupt any casting. She misses, as usual with her bow.
Dandelion may be able to fire a second shot depending on how things shake out. You can roll for that if you'd like...

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#554 Post by onlyme »

AleBelly wrote:
onlyme wrote:DAndelion quickly grabs her bow and fires a shot to hopefully disrupt any casting. She misses, as usual with her bow.
Dandelion may be able to fire a second shot depending on how things shake out. You can roll for that if you'd like...
Dandelion (possibly) reloads and fires again.
sht bow [1d20] = 20; dam [1d6] = 3; crit [1d100] = 97; init [1d6] = 4

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#555 Post by AleBelly »

The party, not wishing to part with their possessions, attacks! Angus quickly releases a bow shot, sinking an arrow into a crowman as it fumbles through a pouch for spell components. Galan and an enemy spell caster both grab pinches of powder. The crowman caster is uttering an incantation – that is interrupted by an arrow piercing his arm! He cries in pain and drops a pinch of sand.

Rufus bow shot [1d20] = 15 crit [1d100] = 13 init [1d6] = 6

Great initiative roll by Rufus averts a sleep spell!
Galan is able to finish his spell, sending a spray of color at a foe. He shrieks out ”I’m blinded!. He cowers against the far wall, robe blotched with a rainbow of colors. represented by the purple dot on the map.

The bowmen return fire, arrows whistling just past Galan and Arnulf. One flies far into Chronia’s room. Chet is far too eager to attack, rushing forward to attack the disrupted spellcaster. He leaps to deliver a punishing kick, but impales himself on the protruding arrow shaft! Both the monk and the spellcaster cry out in pain. As I’ve done before, decided to dull the fumble a bit and did not have it do double damage

Hyde, Tempus, and Clarence the bear retreat inside Chronia’s room, hoping to avoid ill effects of any spell. Arnulf’s pudgy figure gyrates as he calls out in his squeaky voice. Seconds later bolts fly from his fingers. He strikes one caster in mid-spell, and another as he prepares! The mage cries out in joy.

Crowmen rush to attack with short swords. Two fall upon Chet. One gashes the hapless monk’s forearm
Crowman attack Chet [1d20] = 15 crit[1d100] = 12 dmg [1d6] = 2

The other rushes forward with short sword and shield, but he stumbles and falls, thunking his head against an ally’s shield. He is stunned (green-yellow dot on map).

Angus’ assailant finds a gap in the ranger’s armor, engaging him in melee and preventing a second bow shot. The wound seems to irritate the ranger more than anything else.

Crowman attack Angus [1d20] = 14 crit[1d100] = 11 dmg [1d6] = 5

If Angus is to engage in melee next round, please add the damage bonus vs evil humans

Then, a volley of arrows. Dandelion misses with her first shot, but her second hits a caster. Already wounded by Angus’ arrow, it wails as it falls to the floor motionless (red X on map).

Sagthistle joins the fray, charging forward. Her sword is as tall as the female dwarf. She bears down on the caster whose sleep spell was disrupted, and gashes him deeply. Blood soaks its robe as it blubbers. He is near death.

Sagthistle charge w/long sword [1d20+1] = 17+1 = 18 crit[1d100] = 55 dmg [1d8+3] = 2+3 = 5

Yenny, her short stature behind Chet rendering her nearly invisible, sneaks into the corner. She stuffs cloth into a ceramic jar, lights it, and tosses it 15’ in front of her. The jar shatters at the feet of a caster as flames erupt and begin to consume a crowman’s robe. Enemy or not, he shrieks of pain chill the blood of all who hear it.

Rufus whizzes another arrow over Galan’s shoulder and hits another spellcaster! Already smoking from one of Arnulf’s arrows, this one is more hearty, and grunts. He now seems at about half strength.

The two crowman archers release their arrows. One strikes Arnulf and another Yenny.

Crow-bow-man targets Arnulf [1d20] = 15 crit [1d100] = 92 dmg [1d6] = 2
Crow-bow-man targets Yenny [1d20] = 17 crit [1d100] = 34 dmg [1d6] = 4

”Block tha’ doorway!” yells one of crowmen from the back.

Another crowman begins to cast a spell, and is joined by one who was prevented from doing so last turn.

Actions?
050117.png
050117.png (311.37 KiB) Viewed 392 times
Date: 16 Culling, Year 42
Time: 20:21
Conditions: 54F, calm, room dark and damp
Known Spells in Effect: Yenny under some sort of hunger enchantment
Light bearers: Lamps in rooms - Angus' lantern has 3.5 hours worth of oil left in it but is unlit.
Intended Direction of Travel:
Injury Status: Chet moderately wounded, Arnulf, Angus, Yenny lightly wounded

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#556 Post by Zhym »

"Stop them critters casting!" calls out Angus as he slices the one next to him with Ilfrien's sword.

Leddilir v. evil humanoid (THAC0 17): [1d20] = 20 [1d8+6] = 5+6 = 11/[1d12+6] = 9+6 = 15 (SM/L), Crit: [1d100] = 32
Initiative: [1d6] = 4

Roll includes +4 ranger damage bonus and +2 sword to-hit & damage bonus. If the sword has any other special bonuses in this situation, I don't know of them.

ETA initiative.
Last edited by Zhym on Tue May 02, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#557 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion will switch out her arrows for her trusty, fashionable trident and do the old Sadie Hawkins routine on the well-beaked caster 2 spots north of the lovely pink door.

roll keeps resulting in the below, which I believe translates to a 20 with max damage.

Microsoft Cursor Engine error '80004005'

Data provider or other service returned an E_FAIL status.

/default.asp, line 474

edit--

Trident [1d20+3] = 15+3 = 18; dam S-M [1d6+6] = 4+6 = 10; crit [1d100] = 92; init [1d6] = 5

(Had too many rolls apparently. Odd it worked previously, and still works under test roll... but took out the 2nd damage roll for large foe and it worked.)
Last edited by onlyme on Tue May 02, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#558 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny looks like she is about to throw another ball of fire towards the south, but instead a sphere of complete blackness flies from her hand towards the southern wall of the room (flaming caster and bowman)

Initiative [1d6] = 6
Misc roll [1d20] = 7

4 HP and one flask of Greek fire deducted

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#559 Post by CAI4 »

Chet retreats, backing up out of the room.

Initiative [1d6] = 5

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#560 Post by enn.in.me »

Chet retreats, backing up out of the room.
I'll try to get him some healing next round. I didn't want to waste a healing spell getting hit in combat.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”