Chapter 12b - Chet recounts their visit to the prison

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 9 (at least for Tempus) - Scouting for Jobin

#1 Post by AleBelly »

Three looks at Tempus' short legs, then blushes a bit. "We should be near by nightfall, make camp at the foot of the hill. But we'd better get moving."

They thrash through the snowy forest at a 245 degree bearing, their forward progress half what it was on the road. The party doesn't talk much, though observing the four Sambords reveals that they work well as a team, anticipating each other's moves. A few jokes are made, but their nerves are wound tightly and they seem very alert. Tempus and Chet are alert too, but the only tracks they see are the odd rabbit or deer track.

As sunset nears, they find themselves in a swampy woodland. About a mile ahead, through the treeless limbs, they see a group of hills rising 120 meters above the ground they're on.

Sun sets. "Let's make camp" they all agree, not really waiting for input from Tempus and Chet. After traveling 15 miles, all are happy to rest their weary feet. "We do pairwise watches. Looks like Tempus and Chet can take first."

The night passes uneventfully, though a bit cold as heat is lost to the clear sky. At first light, the party is all ready, wordlessly staring ahead towards the hills. Footsore, they shoulder their packs and begin their trek. They huff and puff up the hills, dropping down briefly before a final ascent.

The top of the hill is striking. The trees have thinned. The snow is all melted. Through a supernatural force or exposure to the sun is anyone's guess.

A stone rectangle is set into the ground. It is old and has been weathered over time. Leaves and other debris have filled the rectangle. It looks quite unremarkable, and if this is a portal to the prison of a dangerous immortal, it is hiding in plain sight. Surrounding the rectangle is a perimeter of short standing stones, connected by a rusted chain.
Stone square structure.jpg
Stone square structure.jpg (280.84 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
One through Four are silent. Staring. They’ve not been here before. ”So it’s really true. How about that” gruffs Two. One turns to the two of you. ”We can’t follow. But we can wait out here until you return. Near nightfall we’ll return to camp. We’ll wait there for a couple days for you. Good luck sirs…and canine.”

Actions? Please deduct a day's rations.

Date: 21 Hewing, Year 42
Time: 07:22
Conditions: 24F, southwest wind at 10 mph, clear, 6 inches of snow on the ground
Known Spells in Effect: None
Light bearers: sun
Intended Direction of Travel: 245 degree bearing, 0.9 mph, 1 mile traveled today
Injury Status: None

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#2 Post by AleBelly »

Before entering the stone perimeter, Chet says "Don't forget the blue orbs!" He holds up the blue orb. He seems disappointed. Seeming to neglect the druid's request to check for traps, he enters the enclosure, grasping the druid's hand. The monk holds the blue orb aloft. His face wears an expression of astonishment.

"Welp Tempest, there's the entrance!" Looking through the blue light cast from the orb, the druid sees narrow stairs where the rectangular depression was. He only half hears Chet's next words. "Sorry, I should have been more careful. I should have checked for traps. I'll check the stairs."

But before he does so, he meditates, then begins barking at Fluffy. Chet sucks his thumb briefly, then begins inspecting the stairs. But he has trouble. "We have to look through the light to see the stairs. Can you hold your orb aloft so I can check for traps?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Storm11 »

The halfling complies happily and fishies out his orb, holding it high for Chet to look through.
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by AleBelly »

They descend down the stairs, Chet carefully checking for traps as they do so. There are no leaves or debris below the once-visible stone rectangle, leading Chet and Tempus to believe that the stone platform is not just an illusion. Fluffy has no compunction about descending through what once appeared to be solid stone.

As they descend what seems like 15', the blue orbs lose their light. The sunlight from above is completely blocked. Tempus, Chet and Fluffy find themselves in a dimly lit corridor that seems to head north for 20' until it opens into a large room. The far wall cannot be seen, and the room appears to be empty, though a closer look will be needed to confirm this. Dim light from an unseen source illuminates this space, and bars of shadow, several feet apart, are thrown across its floor, criss-crossing in a lattice. A blue humanoid figure with a female voice can barely be seen pacing back and forth. She stops and mutters aloud "It would be a shame to burn it all, with nothing left behind" and sighs loudly. There is no response. Was she talking to herself? Someone else? Tempus and Chet? Fluffy? It's hard to say...

Looking behind them, they see the stairs are still there leading up into darkness.

Actions? Just to let you know, there are some tough hombres spread out in this prison. But this is a complex ecosystem. Paying attention to clues and interacting with the inhabitants will be more fruitful than attacking everything one sees.

Time: 07:42
Conditions: 44F, no wind, dimly lit
Intended Direction of Travel: 245 degree bearing, 0.9 mph, 1 mile traveled today
Last edited by AleBelly on Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus clears his throat. "Excuse me miss, who are you talking to? Burning the whole place seems drastic! Why would you do that? Oh my name is Tempus, and this here is Chet. We are .... errr here to help!". The dreadlocked Druid puts on his best winning smile with his hands up in the air to show he means no immediate harm
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by AleBelly »

"Well, Tempest (sic), you sure are a polite one, but next time don't go walking around talking to strangers!" Chet whispers. Out loud the monk calls to the female "We mean no harm!"

The female laughs derisively. "Oh, the lot of you don't seem like you could cause me much harm. Tempus, Chet, and a dog? Do come closer, my dears. If you have made it in here, you must have at least a shred of cleverness." She beckons with a blue hand. "I will explain more of what I mean."

Chet whispers to Tempus "be ready." The three creep forward, Chet is also empty-handed, but his fists are ready to fight.

They approach the doorway, and appreciate the sheer enormity of the room. It is indeed pristine. In the dim light, the floor is spotless. Over 100' ahead to the north is a dark archway. There is another in the east wall as it forms a quarter circle. And to the right is a vast, open area. This area is too dark, except that from a distance you can see a rotating light, circling high above and making a complete turn every minute or so. In fact, the ceiling is so high that physics must be contorted down here. The ceiling of this great room rises at least 30' high...even though Tempus is sure he descended only 15' or so.

But the female humanoid is the most striking thing. She is 8' tall. Upon a closer look, her blue skin is of the exact same hue as the light orbs used to gain access to this place. Ivory-white horns, like those of a longhorn sheep, grow from the sides of her forehead and curl around to make a complete circle. From her back grow black, leathery wings like those of a dragon (or so you think, having never seen one). And her face, well, it is beautiful. The dark blue hue of her skin is flawless, as if crafted from otherworldly marble. And her fine, chiseled features would win her suitors in any corner of the world.

She smiles. "Burning this place down. Drastic, yes. But first, you gave me your names. I shall give you mine. I am Lady Crucem Capilli. I am a collector. And this place is full of fabulous treasures. Living treasures. Precious treasures. Troves of information. I would like to collect them all. But my proceeding further in this vast labyrinth will spell its end. I have a duty to perform, and that I will do, but it would be a shame for all these treasures to be lost forever. Perhaps you would retrieve some for me? I shall reward you most handsomely. I promise! Anything will do. Anything at all!" she smiles, flashing teeth just as white as her horns.

Map (north is up):
IMG_1846.JPG
IMG_1846.JPG (85.57 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
Time: 07:45
Conditions: 44F, no wind, dimly lit

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by AleBelly »

"Why would you burn the place down if you want the treasures?" asks Chet.

"I don't want to burn it down. But I know that delving more deeply will destroy this place. I would simply like to collect these wonderful items before that happens" she replies.

"Do you know this would happen?" asks Chet.

"Yes, it is known to those who sent me. I'm sure you have never heard of them, and I will not tell you anyway" she smiles.

"Well, which way should we go?" asks Chet, befuddled.

"There are unique and collectible items everywhere. I would not want to spoil the pleasure of discovery. The discovery of such aesthetic beauty!"

Chet chews his lip. "Is it dangerous?"

"Yes, there are formidable foes. Have you no other companions?" asks Lady Crucem, growing slightly annoyed.

Chet turns to Tempus. "Well, Tempest, you're smarter than I am. I'll follow you. Where do you want to go?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus chews his lip thinking.

"What do you want to do with these living things Lady? No harm will come to them if we retrieve one or two for you, can we have your word?"

The Druid waits until the strange beautiful creature responds before continuing.

"Do you have any tips on how we retrieve them and where they might be held, any traps between us and our prizes!"
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by AleBelly »

"Of course not! Harming them would defeat the purpose of collection, my tiny friend" huffs Lady Crucem, displeased at the suggestion.

"As I told your dim friend, the path to enlightenment is discovery. Even if I did possess knowledge, I wouldn't dream to rob you of the joy of discovery!"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Storm11 »

"Would you at least suggest a way to move forward and assist you in your collection?" the halfling asks hopefully
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by AleBelly »

"You see three paths before you. All are equally delectable" she smiles.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by AleBelly »

Chet cowers behind Tempus. "I wish you were taller" he laments. The Lady is growing frustrated. A thin stream of vapor wafts from her nose. "So, where do you want to go, dude?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Storm11 »

"It seems that it matters not, so I will say right. Always right!" he huffs, moving forwards, calling Fluffy to him as he does so.

"Chet, is the free of traps my good man?" Tempus enquires, before attempting to open the doorway.
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by AleBelly »

"The door is not trapped, dears" calls the blue lady. "And words of advice for you with an adventurous spirit. This labyrinth is large - with many factions allied and at war with each other. Perhaps you can use that to your advantage. Do not be afraid to retreat and recruit other collectors to help you collect my curios."

If they turn to ask further questions, they see that she is no longer there.

Tempus and Chet carefully open the door to the right (east). What they see is astounding. The room opens to a 70' sphere. On the other side of the door are stairs leading 30' down. That's not very strange. But the bottom of the stairs are joined by two other staircases, forming a knot that hangs in space in the middle of the sphere. One set, impossibly, seems to head straight down. The other turns left at the knot. Both lead to a door. Hung periodically along the stairs are lanterns, lit with oil. The room, bare and made of smooth grey stone, is completely quiet.

Actions?

Time: 07:55
Conditions: 54F
Light bearers: Lanterns hung along stairwell

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus will edge into the corridor with fluffy, unless Chet wants to go first and check for traps.

At the crossroads of stairs the halfling will halt and listen for any signs of sound or life coming from the other steps
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by AleBelly »

Chet looks around at the wide expanse of the room. "Wow" he says nervously. "I guess that's why they can fly."

Carefully, the party descends the stairs 30'. Their footfalls echo throughout the spherical stone room. The lanterns throw their shadows all over the smooth grey walls. They feel very conspicuous...and exposed. After descending, they find themselves at a gnarled jumble of steps. Fluffy seems very skittish. Gravity seems...strange...here. They feel they could easily ascend stairs to any of three doors (including the one they just entered through). 30' "below" them is what serves as the bottom now (but was the right of the room when they entered). They can see three motionless humanoid figures, each with a dagger protruding from its back.

DM rolls dice

A wave of intense hunger grips Tempus and Chet. Fluffy whines, intimating that he too is hungry.

Looks down at the dead bodies. "Why did we come in here?" He whimpers.

DM rolls dice

Tempus trains his eyes and ears on the doors. No sound or motion is apparent.

Actions?

Time: 07:57

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Storm11 »

"What do you suppose killed these bodies laid out before us Chet? The daggers left in the bodies, perhaps they keep them dead hmmm?" the scared druid ponders aloud.

"This hunger, i wonder where it emanates from? Some occult craving no doubt, but why? Are we to devour these corpses like rabid animals? I think not!" the halfling says with determination.
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by AleBelly »

Chet looks at the druid. "I don't know. I'm confused." The bodies lie motionless, offering no help. Fluffy's whines continue, growing more intense. "Maybe one of those daggers could be a prize for Lady Crucem. But I can't get down there. It's too far and not close enough to a wall" he laments.

"Maybe the room is making us hungry. Let's get out of here. How about the stairs that were going left?" he suggests.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Storm11 »

The Druid nods his head and tries to calm his hound.

Tempus pulls out some chalk from his pouch and draws an arrow pointing to the way out.

"Yes, let us be gone from here for now. Left is good. Do you want to lead the way or shall I? Do you have a weapon you could use over my head if we are attacked, that way we could both fight at the same time? Let's go Chet!" Tempus says moving along towards the left hand exit.

If he comes close to the bodies he will try and tie some rope around one of the handles, the most expensive one. If not he moves on.
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by AleBelly »

Tempus looks at the bodies, and realizes that the knob of stairs they're on is 30' above the floor where they lie. There is no way to get closer to them via stairs, though gravity pulls in that direction. He pulls chalk from his bag and draws an arrow over a jumble of stairs pointing the way they came.

Tempus sees that Chet has a spetum that could reach over him, but he shudders to think what would happen if Chet hit him with it!

Seeing Tempus nervous doesn't settle Chet's nerves any. "I wish Arnulf was here. He can put things to sleep."

They climb the stairs. When they reach the top, they realize what they thought was a door is actually a dark doorway in the form of an arch. Light from the lantern room spills into it, where more grey stone is visible on the floor. Otherwise, they can't see much. Warmer, humid air wafts from the archway towards them.

Intense hunger continues to gnaw at their bellies. Fluffy's whining is growing annoying.

Good question about marching order. The stairs are wide enough for 1 at a time. Please suggest a marching order for 1 abreast and 2 abreast and I'll talk to Chet's player later today.

Time: 08:02

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”