Chapter 12b - Chet recounts their visit to the prison

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 9 (at least for Tempus) - Scouting for Jobin

#81 Post by AleBelly »

Yes, that spell has can be a stinker with low rolls.

On the sorceress, Chet finds one pouch full of saltpeter, sand and other spell components. In her hand was pinch of sand, which Tempus knows was meant for a sleep spell. In her other pouch is a finely carved statuette of a grasshopper/worm hybrid. The top half looks remarkably like Gibba, who they killed in this very room. The wood is not valuable. It is dotted with small amorphous patches of green material, like moldy bread. On the other Chet finds 28 more non-descript pieces of gold.

While Chet inspects the two bodies, Tempus finds that his trusty dog is indeed dead, its spine severed by the savage machete blow of the chameleon woman. After wiping tears from his eyes, the druid invokes his powers of healing to aid Chet, but his recent loss seems to affect the potency of the spell. Chet applies aid to a machete wound, but it helps very little.

The hummingbird thing made of jeweled material continues to suck marrow from exposed bones. Chet thinks of kicking it, but seems like he'd rather exit the prison.

What would Tempus like to do?
Assuming they make it that far, am I correct in assuming that he'll want to train with the Sambord druids upon returning to the fortress?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Storm11 »

The Goodberry spell is so much better than cure light wounds bless it :D

"Perhaps these will do for the treasures this creature seeks. Let us try and exit the prison and make our report in Sambourds, what say you friend Chet?" Tempus pats Fluffy on the head and performs the blessing of passing over his loyal corpse.

Yes indeed he really would like to train with the Druid in Sambourds once he has made his report on the prison!
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by AleBelly »

Chet replies "Let's get the diddly-ding out of here!" in response to Tempus' question. "Thank you for the healing, but I still don't feel well. Let's go." Chet holds out the statuette, gold, and 4 S-shaped throwing knives sorry, forgot to mention those to Tempus. "Do you want these? This fight has only angered me."

Just before leaving, Chet, anger on his face, grabs the body of the sorceress and tosses her onto the black floor, aiming for a green tile. It hits...and the tile squirms out from under it and continues to twirl. They don't wait around to see if the body sinks.

Back over the rope bridge they go. Tempus lights his candle, and they quickly go by the baby-thing. The suit is softly singing a lullaby, apparently having appeased the mutant child.

DM rolls dice

They make it back into the stairwell room. They enter, and notice quickly that a bright light, much like that of a moon fills the room. At the knot of the stairs, they see a man, clad in chain mail. But his head is unusual. It looks like the thinnest sliver of a moon, and its light fills the room. He is accompanied by some sort of armored stoat-like creature that looks quite formidable, and a monstrosity - a snake with a severed hand where its head would normally be. In the light of the room, they see that an eye is set in the palm of the hand. The hand, though withered, looks incredibly strong.

The man calls to them "Greetings! I am Torgos Zooth, Sub-Lunary! You couldn't possibly have seen Anole and Anolis, have you?" If the adventurers open their mouths to answer, they find they are gripped by a strange power - they must lie in response!

"Yes, we did see them!" cries Chet in response.

Torgos adds, after looking them over. "I see you have encountered the chameleon women, yes?"

Date: 21 Hewing, Year 42
Time: 08:50
Conditions: 54F
Known Spells in Effect: None
Light bearers: Room illuminated by lanterns (Tempus doesn't need candle, which has 20 min left)
Injury Status: Tempus lightly wounded, Chet moderately wounded

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Storm11 »

are we still lying?
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by AleBelly »

yep. The light emanating from his head seems to have that effect.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Storm11 »

"No, no chameleon women. What do you want with us here? Will you let us pass?" Tempus questions, looking worriedly at Chet
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by AleBelly »

Storm11 wrote:"No, no chameleon women. What do you want with us here? Will you let us pass?" Tempus questions, looking worriedly at Chet
Torgos offers them a sobering look. "Ah. Well, you may have bested the lizard women this time. But beware.If they are defeated, a stronger group is sent out. And they don't much care for those of us that regulate our own body temperatures. Jealously, I think. That's why I take my guardians with me!"

He looks at both of them intently. "We happened upon each other by chance. As for what I want with you, well, I serve Azurpenia. I am to inform her of new intruders. You are new, and to my knowledge you were not invited. But the loss of my sons, dear Anole and Anolis, is more pressing. I fear they have been taken. If you promise to return them to me, I can delay alerting her." He smiles. "I will also reward you handsomely."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Storm11 »

The halfling looks confused. "But we already met with Azurpenia, on the way in? She's well aware of our entering the prison. In fact she gave us a mission herself!" The Druid waits for the moon heads response.
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by AleBelly »

"Exactly. If you had met her, you'd be much worse for wear. Now, you'll excuse me. I really must find my boys."

and with that, Torgos and his ugly companions come up the stairs and move quickly past Chet and Tempus, entering the baby-suit room.

It is only after Torgos leaves, perhaps, that Tempus realizes that he had to have lied to Torgos, and that Azurpenia is not who he met at the entrance.

Kinda funny how that worked out!

Minutes later, the duo are standing in front of the blue lady. "Back so soon! What did you find for me?"

To refresh:
78 gold pieces
The wooden statuette
4 S-shaped throwing knives
A leather scroll case, still unopened

Obviously, he does not need to show her everything.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Storm11 »

The halfling yelps in surprise and jumps backwards.

"Mistress Azurpenia, oh but you scared me there for a second. What sort of treasures are you looking for lady?" the dreadlocked Druid asks fumbling through his pouches.
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by AleBelly »

Sorry, I realize my update was confusing. She didn't appear in front of you, but you and Chet made your way back to the entrance where she is waiting. Also, you would realize after talking to Torgos that you lied about having met Azurpenia, which means you didn't actually meet Azurpenia.

"Azurpenia!?" she spits, wisps of green smoke escaping her mouth as she spits out the 'p' sound. "I am Lady Capilli! Azurpenia is a patricidal maniac! I'm looking for unique items! What did you bring?"

Chet takes the gold pieces and holds them out to her. She shakes her head. "I have much gold. There's nothing special about these! That is not art! What else?" she asks, growing angry.

Chet elbows Tempus. "Show her the statuette!" he whispers. If Tempus complies, she examines it carefully. "It is beautifully carved, but the subject is grotesque! A curious object, a trinket for my collection. But, it's moldy. Poor quality. I'll give you 10 pieces of your precious gold for it." It's not an offer. She keeps it. She pulls ten pieces from her pouch and hands them to Tempus.

"Now, next time, you can do better. I need a curio. I need it to be an ironic commentary on this carving. Thank you."

Chet runs his fingers through the curly mop of hair on top of his head, looking nervous. "That's really the only statuette we have" replies the monk.

She replies "Yes, I understand. Next time." She seems to lose interest in you, and it might be a good time to depart.

Anything else before you leave?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Storm11 »

tempus realised she wasn't Azurpenia, he was hoping to trick her into telling them who she was by misidentifying her. :D

The Druid will pull out the statuette and take the offered gold.

"We will do better next time my lady. What is your role here, are you a guardian of the prison? Do you know how many prisoners were incarcerated within at all? There were some strange creatures inside. A human man whose head was a glowing moon! A snake whose head was a hand. Chameleon women, a hungry floor etc. I have never seen nor heard of the like before!"

After their discussion is over he bows low and urges Chet to come along and leave this place.

"Let us try and find the guards from Sambourd and get back to the walls of the fort yes?"
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by AleBelly »

Storm11 wrote:tempus realised she wasn't Azurpenia, he was hoping to trick her into telling them who she was by misidentifying her. :D
Ah. Got it.

Storm11 wrote: The Druid will pull out the statuette and take the offered gold.

"We will do better next time my lady. What is your role here, are you a guardian of the prison?"
"My role is my own business. I have not asked you yours! I do not guard this prison. But Azurpenia, that bitch, is best kept down here. But my mission is most important. Perhaps, when the time is right, I will tell you, and you can perform it for me. Then I need not destroy this place."
Storm11 wrote:"Do you know how many prisoners were incarcerated within at all? There were some strange creatures inside. A human man whose head was a glowing moon! A snake whose head was a hand. Chameleon women, a hungry floor etc. I have never seen nor heard of the like before!"
"I do not. But the creatures you describe do not sound so strange to me. But I have traveled this world, and many others. So perhaps I'm immune to such shock" she says proudly.

After their discussion is over he bows low and urges Chet to come along and leave this place.
Storm11 wrote: "Let us try and find the guards from Sambourd and get back to the walls of the fort yes?"
Chet agrees. They climb the stairs, the eerie blue light shining the way. But something strange happens when they surface. By Chet and Tempus' reckoning it should be light, but they are in the dark. The sun is not in the sky. A dead ogre lies just outside the stone circle. Its death appears to be recent by arrows and stab wounds. To the east, a mile away, Chet and Tempus see a campfire exactly where they expect the Sambord scouts to be. After an hour of travel, they reach the campsite and find One, Two, Three and Four nervous, relieved to see Chet and Tempus. They notice the wounds, and offer condolences for Fluffy.

One speaks. "We waited for you. A couple hours after you descended, which was quite a sight I can tell you - you seemed to sink directly into the stone, a lone ogre stumbled upon us. I think it was lost, and we dropped it before it knew what hit it. At sundown, we started to worry and headed back to camp. We felt exposed up there. Good thing, too. We spotted a troll on the way, but it didn't see us. But this fire will give us away soon enough! We woulda left, but were hoping to see you. I suggest we trudge on through the night. Be mighty tired tomorrow, but we can rest in the fort. Unless you want to wait here and see if that troll finds us. Never fought one myself, and I ain't keen on starting tonight! Whaddaya say?"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 12b - Chet recounts their visit to the prison

#94 Post by AleBelly »

Rather than a lengthy narration, I'll post the thread from Chet and Tempus' adventure into the prison. Please do not post in here - do so in Chapter 12.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”