Chapter 12 - Where da Lair?

AleBelly
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 12 - Where da Lair?

#61 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion exchanges pleasantries, and looks forward to finding her fashionable redheaded friend to inquire about that discreet manners mentor.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Zhym »

Angus looks forward to seeing her too. :)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by AleBelly »

Keehnelf wrote:Sagthistle whistles appreciatively. "My guess is, someone here knows where the King is, or something like that."
Jobin's face twitches slightly at Sagthistle's comment, but he says nothing.

He turns to Angus after his dialog. "I bore you no ill will. My concern is first for my people. And you had your principles. We are reconciled now.

The information you secured is valuable. But I would ask you keep it to yourselves. Our primary threat is still the orc city, and we will need Alleborg's help to crush it. I cannot afford for this alliance to falter."

He looks over the group.

"Still, there are other dangers. Chet and Tempus - where is that fellow, by the way? I hope nothing ill has become him - began to explore the ancient prison of Azurpenia in the Garland Hills. We have not the resources to explore it. But if the Herulics are attempting to release the evil that lies within...well... He looks over the group. From what Chet and Tempus tell me, those of you new to adventuring might find it too dangerous."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Zhym »

"Mum's the word on the—thing we ain't gonna talk about," says Angus. "Got it."

"As for what we oughtta do next, other than that social graces training Dandelion's going to rope us into, where do reckon we'd be most useful to you, keeping in mind some of these folks are still greener'n a lizard's leg?"

"Oh, by the way," he adds as an afterthought, "how do them check-your-weapon rules work with buying or selling them?"

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf leans close to Hyde and speaks in hushed tones, his hands making wild gestures in front of the bewildered half-orc as he explains.

"Perchance are you cognizant of the scenario whereby one party endeavours via direct parlance or inscription, for motives which may or may not be entirely perspicuous, to employ circumlocutory expressions as a means of producing confusion in the minds of another party?"

"Now, did any of that make sense? No? That's obfuscatory."

He pats the large man on the shoulder and turns back to the conversation, nodding sagely at everything said between Angus and Jobin.

Sorry for being out of touch the last few days! Crazy time here.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Keehnelf »

Sagthistle bows, her firm face softening slightly. "I am glad to be of service, sir Jobim. My name is Sagthistle Steelcuff, and I would like to avoid losing my life or limb in the aforementioned evil prison, but I will gladly do what I can to aid the peace of the land." She begins unbuckling the sword-belt strapped across her body and lays her shortbow aside with it.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by AleBelly »

"The prison is our greatest need. If Chet and Tempus entered initially and returned, it can't be too dangerous for eleven of you. But it would seem prudent to protect the greener amongst you initially. Your monk friend here has first hand experience. Perhaps he should weigh in" replies Jobin.

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Poll - Critical hit rules

#68 Post by CAI4 »

"Which one is my first hand?" asks Chet, trying and failing miserably to make a joke.

He answers Jobin. "For the three newbies, I think this might be a little too dangerous for you. I honestly think that if you went, you should be under some protection. Like, they should be in the middle. There is one man that is there who has a snake with a head of a hand with an eyeball on it! And he has a moon for a head!" He looks over at the others, expecting them to be impressed.

"But that's not where it stops! There is a baby who is dressed in interesting clothing that I've never seen before. And it screams a horrible sound. I'm not going to say what it sounds like since I don't want to recreate the memory. Also, there's a hummingbird that once something is killed, it literally sucks the marrow out of its bones and flies away. I tried shooting it with my crossbow but it's not easy to hit."

Chet's eyes are wide with excitement as he breathes heavily, getting in to the story.

"There are also three robbers that are either crows or men dressed up like them." He looks around. "I shouldn't really be the one saying this, but that's a bit stupid!"

There's also something we slayed that liked to eat stone chess pieces, apparently. You guys are in for a treat. Trust me!

But bring a lot of food. The place makes you hungry."

Chet grins like he still has a secret...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Zhym »

Angus looks skeptically at Chet. The looks don't get any more credulous as the tale goes on.

"Y'all sure you wouldn't rather smack some orcs or ogres around?" he asks. "That prison sounds like it ain't the kind of place you can attack with swords."

We'll be able to do some business in town, right? We should split the gems, or convert them into gold or something, and Angus should probably see if anyone would buy the magic hammer now that he's carrying Leddilir. He had a question about how to buy or sell weapons if you have to check them at the gate.

We talked about doing some more exploring at one point. That might be better for low-level PCs than a looking-glass magical prison. But it could also take a while for folks to level splitting XP eleven ways—twelve when Tempus gets to town (assuming he does).

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Zorroroaster »

"Are you sure you didn't eat some questionable mushrooms, bro? That sounds positively psychedelic. Trippy, even. I'm not sure that's a good place to be taking new recruits."

Arnulf casts an apologetic glance at some of the others.

"No offense."

Yeah, there are pros and cons to the different options we face. A big group is going to be cumbersome, especially in close quarters. Not to mention the brakes it puts on waiting for 11 people to post actions. Then again, they may level faster with the more advanced crew. On their own, they are pretty squishy, but perhaps less likely to walk into certain doom like the UPS would.

Perhaps we consider two sorties, each with a couple new fish sprinkled in?
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Zhym »

Zorroroaster wrote:Perhaps we consider two sorties, each with a couple new fish sprinkled in?
I thought about that, but I don't really want to break up the old gang, either. And, more practically, we still only have one magic user in the whole bunch. Arnulf is a precious resource. :)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by AleBelly »

To answer another question, yes, you can buy and sell weapons. Just put the hammer in the pack or something like that.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#73 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny - "We are your guests, and likely to be so for some time. If you feel that we could best repay your hospitality by dancing with the magic chessmen, then so be it, but I do agree with Angus that I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable taking on some of the mundane nasties. Plus I really do hate them, and so far I don't have anything much against hummingbirds, even marrow-sucking ones. Gross. But yes, Jobin, if you think this is the way then I reckon we'll give it a shot. Is there anybody in town that might have some more information that could help us prepare?"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by AleBelly »

"Where you go next must be your decision. You asked where you could be of most service, and I answered. But you must decide what you are capable of. You are not under my control.

An army is needed to defeat the orc city, so I caution against going there. As for ogres - we have encountered them occasionally with the orcs. But I know little of them. They are not much of a threat to us"
replies Jobin.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Zhym »

Angus realizes that Jorbin had asked about Tempus and not gotten an answer. "I reckon Grizzy Tempus'll be along after a spell. He tamed him a bear and is teaching it to do tricks. And while we're accounting for former companions, Ilfrien died fighting a dragon and Hellebore got herself in trouble with the law for...well, acting like it didn't apply to her, is the short version."

"By the by, we've probably done all what could be done in Knob Forest, but do you know what the story was behind them hanged men?"

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde unbuckles his weapons and allows them to be stowed, his eyes still flitting about. Makes no difference to me where we go, he smiles, Lotsa nasty things out here need be kilt, hah?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote:Angus realizes that Jorbin had asked about Tempus and not gotten an answer. "I reckon Grizzy Tempus'll be along after a spell. He tamed him a bear and is teaching it to do tricks. And while we're accounting for former companions, Ilfrien died fighting a dragon and Hellebore got herself in trouble with the law for...well, acting like it didn't apply to her, is the short version."

"By the by, we've probably done all what could be done in Knob Forest, but do you know what the story was behind them hanged men?"
"My condolences" replies Jobin. "Your elven friend was a fine swordswoman."

"As for Knob Forest. A few folk here hailed from there. They don't know much, but it seems that atrocity happened as Alleborg fell. If you want an empire to crumble, best to remove all the leaders. We figure what you saw there was local nobles and their squires and sons killed."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Zhym »

"Thank you kindly," says Angus for the condolences.

"If you need folks to go to the witch's prison, then I reckon that's what I'll do—me and them what are willing to come with me. Might do us good to make us a plan, though. Did that first mission come back with any maps or clues or such?" Angus looks toward Chet for a response.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by AleBelly »

Chet recounts his and Tempus' visit to the prison. The monk also reminds them that they may want to purchase extra food. They got hungry in there.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by AleBelly »

Eventually, Jobin leaves and the party checks their weapons at the door and they enter the main body of the fort.

It makes Alleborg look like a gleaming city. The fort is somewhat tidy, but very muddy. Large swathes of crop fields (just dirt right now, given the season) are surrounded by wooden dwellings and shops. Muddy streets cut through them in several places. The fort is oval-shaped, but a wooden palisade wall runs down the short axis, blocking the view within.

"That area is prohibited to newcomers" says an administrator, giving them a brief overview of the settlement. "But you'll find everything you need in the open area. Shops, an inn, training facilities, and a shop that buys and sells enchanted items. The inn is that way, where you'll want to stay for the night. Enjoy exploring our settlement...and I now must take my leave of you." Before leaving, he gives them each a green pin with a simple symbol upon it to show they are approved visitors.

They notice that virtually all of the citizens wear a green sash over their shoulder and crossing their chest, much as she has seen from the Sambords before. The only people they see with weapons are those obviously involved with law enforcement or patrolling the outer walls of the fort.

There nothing to be "discovered" in town here. Adventure is outside the settlement... :)

Angus, and perhaps others, make their way to the magical shop where they find a crusty old man named Burtt Yarron.

After Angus describes the hammer he carries, Burtt mentions he will have a friend of his "look at it" tomorrow to verify. But if it performs to what Angus says, he is willing to offer about 1900 gp for it.

Burtt is willing to show the following wares, but hints he has more expensive items if the party can show they possess at least 5000 gp worth of material and they are serious about buying. They may get a slightly better deal on a trade for the hammer.

Potion of Reptile Control (400 gp)
Finely crafted magical leather armor, with ornate geometric patterns, halfling/gnome sized (2200 gp)
6 Magical arrows with red thread running along the shaft, very similar to Eduard's magical +2 arrows (2000 gp for 6)
Potion of fire resistance (450 gp)
M-U scroll (Water breathing, fireball) (2000 gp)
Scroll of unknown contents (600 gp)
Potion of invulnerability (500 gp)

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”