Chapter 12 - Where da Lair?

AleBelly
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 12 - Where da Lair?

#81 Post by Zhym »

Angus asks a passerby what the green sashes mean.

When he hears the price list, he takes a wide-eyed look as his hand-me-down magic arrows. He had no idea they were so valuable. Now he wonders if he really needed to use so many of them fighting goblins.

"We might could scrounge 5000, including this here axe," says Angus. He shows a few of the dragon gems. "What've you got?"

What does everything think? We could probably trade the hammer for the three potions and the unknown scroll—which must be a scroll of protection if it hasn't been identified, I'd think. A potion of lizard control might be useful for dealing with the chameleon women.

Or we can see what else he has to offer among the more expensive stuff.

How wealthy is everyone, anyway? Roughly speaking? I haven't added any dragon loot to Angus's sheet yet. Assume we do distribute it as treasure and not pool it to get a magic item, should we do that as cash value or account for individual gem values? Oh, and and do we also have Ilfrien's gold still undistributed?

Also, should we do planning for the mission—supplies, whether to bring mounts, etc.—IC or OOC, or here or in some other thread?

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#82 Post by CAI4 »

"That sounds like great stuff, if you aren't a monk" replies Chet. "I made the mistake of accidentally drinking a healing potion and let's just say" he looks up in the air as if trying to remember something "...it didn't go that well."

Chet pulls off his ring and shows it to Burtt, along with his spetum.

Chet has about 440 gp.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by AleBelly »

Burtt looks over the gems, Angus' hammer and Chet's ring. When he sees the spetum he gets agitated. "Damn it Chet, we already discussed this weapon. And you didn't want to sell." Burtt looks over the group and sighs. "Fine. But take any of this by force and it'll be the end of you."

Grumpily, he walks back and retrieves three items.

The first is a red-tipped javelin. "Never had much use for these myself" says Burtt. "But its aim is true. Tears the flesh too." Further description suggests it's a +2 weapon. "120 pounds of gold (6000 gp)."

The next is a drab grey cloak. "This was made hundreds of years ago. Called the Cloak of Gylriddion. Rumor has it the elf what made it's still alive. Doesn't matter, I guess." He turns it back to front, showing it to the group. There's a faint shimmering running through the cloth. "Now here's something you can use, Chet. Or you..." he turns, looking towards Arnulf and Galan. "Too big for the little guy here. Says it protects you against spells and weapons. Good protection too. But it ain't cheap. 440 pounds of gold (22,000 gp)."

The third item is a wispy, polished wooden object. "This thing here allows you to know if somethin's magic or not. Lots of uses in it too. They don't make 'em like this anymore. 25,000 gold pieces."

He looks over Chet's ring. "Protects you from cold, huh? Yeah. Could give you about 4500 gold for this."

Burtt watches the items like a hawk.

"So you gonna buy something, or just look?"
Last edited by AleBelly on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote:Angus asks a passerby what the green sashes mean.
The sashes simply reflect that they are members of the Sambord tribe.

Nobody claimed Ilfrien's money despite a couple of prompts. This time we can assume the party took it. So that leaves the party with about 3640 gp worth of gems from the dragon lair and Ilfrien's haul: 160 gp, 17 ep, 8 sp, 12 cp.

Planning for the next foray can take place in a separate thread that I'll set up now.
Last edited by AleBelly on Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by tkrexx »

I got this potion, yeahh, Hyde roots thru his satchel in search, Made for Levi's station, I think was said. Dunno what it does, tho, or who Levi is, or even where his station be. The short Half-Orc presents the tiny ceramic vial to the tribe and shrugs.

Hyde has 145pp left, along with a smattering of smaller coin. I haven't added any haul from the Dragon.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Zhym »

Do any of those items call out to anyone? If so, are they worth pooling our gold for? If not, the hammer for the potions and unknown scroll may be the best option.

The scroll will be great once Arnulf can cast 3rd-level spells.

Angus wouldn't mind restocking on +2 arrows, but not at 333 gp per arrow. I'm not sure we didn't take a loss on the goblin purge, at that price.

Would we have any way to identify the contents of the scroll?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by AleBelly »

The issue of the unknown scroll comes up. "Some o' our folks found this out wanderin'" says Burtt. "All I know is it's got magic. Will shoot a few gold your way if you can tell me what's in it. Maybe even a deal on it. The other one, well, my man made is special for a customer that ain't with us no more."

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#88 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny pipes up from below the main counter, "I'm not sure if I can help, but I'd be happy to see if the scroll is anything I understand."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion politely shakes her head.
I dont see anything tickles my fancy.

Dandelion has about 250gp, so not enough to even window shop around this neighborhood. She should be in good shape, unless someone thinks we need to have something unique (hammer, pick, etc) specifically for prison breaking that no one has.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#90 Post by Nuke66 »

(OOC: Well, the Finely crafted magical leather armor, with ornate geometric patterns, halfling/gnome sized (2200 gp) and Potion of invulnerability (500 gp) strike my fancy, but i don't think Galan can afford it.)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Zhym »

"That's some mighty fine swag you got there," says Angus, "but what's in our reach at the moment ain't what we desperately need, and what we could really use ain't rightly in our price range. What we really need is magic spelunking gear: ropes what tie themselves to things and untie when you command them, hammers what bash through walls quickly, or gems what let you see things as they really are when you look through them. I don't suppose you've got anything like that, do you?"

Assuming the answer is no: "Would you take the magic hammer in trade for the unknown scroll and the three potions?"

Also, I'm not entirely clear on the offer to give us a deal for identifying the scroll. Would the scroll's price increase once we know what it is? Or might it be cheaper? And what are the rules for identifying scrolls? If Arnulf and Yenny have a chance of identifying it and getting us a better deal that way, then please hold off on Angus's offer until that's resolved.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf clears his throat.

"I might be able to identify that scroll..." He's looking wistfully at some of the items laid out.

Arnulf has about 1000gp stashed away. He'll want that fireball scroll one of these days. :lol:
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote:"That's some mighty fine swag you got there," says Angus, "but what's in our reach at the moment ain't what we desperately need, and what we could really use ain't rightly in our price range. What we really need is magic spelunking gear: ropes what tie themselves to things and untie when you command them, hammers what bash through walls quickly, or gems what let you see things as they really are when you look through them. I don't suppose you've got anything like that, do you?"

Assuming the answer is no: "Would you take the magic hammer in trade for the unknown scroll and the three potions?"

Also, I'm not entirely clear on the offer to give us a deal for identifying the scroll. Would the scroll's price increase once we know what it is? Or might it be cheaper? And what are the rules for identifying scrolls? If Arnulf and Yenny have a chance of identifying it and getting us a better deal that way, then please hold off on Angus's offer until that's resolved.
Burtt smiles as the group looks over his wares. "I'll pay you 50 gold to identify the scroll. Of course, then it gets priced at market value. All I know's it's magical. No guarantees. Your deal sounds like a fair one, though. And it wouldn't be right of me to sell you the reptile potion without telling you it won't work on no lizard women. Only animals. Recipe's a bit different for that, as I understand it.

As for magic ropes, gem-eyes and th' others. Them things are hard to find. And that's because they're hard to make. My magic man might could do it. Likes to keep his head down, though. I can ask him for ya. Might also see our man of learnin' about where you might find some of this stuff."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Zhym »

AleBelly wrote:"And it wouldn't be right of me to sell you the reptile potion without telling you it won't work on no lizard women. Only animals. Recipe's a bit different for that, as I understand it."
"Much obliged for your honesty," answers Angus. "I don't reckon it'd work any better against dragons, would it? Still, might be damned handy, that potion. We'll try our luck on the scroll. So I reckon we got us a deal."

"And I'd much oblige directions to the man o' learning. Always good to keep an eye out for parts what a man what can use parts can, uh, use."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote:"I don't reckon it'd work any better against dragons, would it?

Burtt laughs at the suggestion. "I been around a long time. Ain't never seen a potion could do that. You'd have a mighty angry dragon on your hands after it figured what you done. 'Asides, think of what a dragon might do if'n it finds out who made it! Spellcasters ain't dumb. They aren't looking to pick a fight with somethin' like that."
Zhym wrote: "Still, might be damned handy, that potion. We'll try our luck on the scroll. So I reckon we got us a deal."

"And I'd much oblige directions to the man o' learning. Always good to keep an eye out for parts what a man what can use parts can, uh, use."
Burtt takes the hammer from Angus' pack, hands over the three potions and unknown scroll, and asks the ranger to sign for the transaction, holding him responsible if the hammer is fraudulent.

After all is done, Burtt points Angus and the others down the street to the learned man.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Zhym »

"Pleasure doing business with you," says Angus, taking the potions and scroll. He gives the scroll to Arnulf for identification, the potion of invulnerability to Hyde, and offers the potions of fire resistance and reptile control to anyone who wants them.

At the man of learning, Angus inquires about where one might find magical ropes, gem-eyes, and such.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by AleBelly »

On the way to the Sambords' learned man, the party has their gems appraised. In a welcome break from the commission charged in Alleborg, this service is free. The items are appraised at:

4 light pink rhodochrosites (10, 14, 20, 20 gp)
2 chunks of blue quartz (50 gp each)
4 polished pieces of amber (120 gp, 500 gp, 500 gp, 1000 gp)
1 red fire opal (1400 gp)

The party continues to the door of the wise man. They hear a couple of female voice laughing along with a young male's voice. The door only opens after a series of loud knocks and waiting from the party. Opening a crack, the light from within illuminates the face of a handsome man of about 30. He is clean shaven, smells of pipesmoke and his pupils are incredibly dilated. Behind him, the party can see very modest living quarters, sparsely decorated.

After some disjointed conversation, the party manages to learn his name is Albin and he is indeed the wise man. He waves away the questions from Angus. "I'm afraid I'm in no condition to answer your questions at this hour" he smiles apologetically. "But I will be fully yours tomorrow for two pounds of gold. Plus expenses. I am an expert in orcs, goblins, and their kind. Even giants. I know a thing or two about animals too. Come back two hours after sunrise. Now, you'll excuse me..." and shuts the door.

It is now the evening of 15 Culling

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf does little to hide his indignation at the affrontery.

"To hell with that guy. He's barely older than I am. What could he possibly be wise in, apart from the art of liberating a lass from her knickers? Arse."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#99 Post by enn.in.me »

"It's hard to know. We may need to ask around a bit more. Two pounds is a hefty sum, though. Perhaps it is time for us too to find a drink."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Zhym »

"Well, ain't he just a peach?" laughs Angus. "Boy ain't no Targus, I tell you what. Ain't even learned the difference between being a wise man and a wise-ass!"

Angus is still laughing. "Missed his calling, too. He needs court if he's a-gonna jest like that. Two pounds of gold for him to tell us about orcs and goblins! Haw!" The woodsman actually slaps his knee. "On the other hand, now we know where to go if we need some pipeweed."
enn.in.me wrote:"Perhaps it is time for us too to find a drink."
"Now that's a damn fine idea. You ever given a notion to going into the wise person business, Yenny? Seems mighty lucrative!"

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”