OOC IV

AleBelly
enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OOC IV

#381 Post by enn.in.me »

Merry Christmas. I have greatly enjoyed this game as it has wandered through the various adventures.
Last edited by enn.in.me on Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#383 Post by Zhym »

Not Chet! :shock: :cry:

...and on that note, Angus still has Chronia's Tear. Which lets him turn back time (cue Cher). I'm seriously considering using it to bring Chet back, because he's awesome. I'd wind back the clock to just before we entered the room.

Questions:

1. AleBelly: Would we retain knowledge of what had happened?
2. We'd have to re-fight the whatever-they-ares, and it looks like we're about to have the battle won. Do we want to risk an encounter that goes the other way?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#384 Post by onlyme »

Could it really have gone much worse? Or, could we just not go into that room?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#385 Post by AleBelly »

This is going to be a tough night at my house. I think Chet's death will even make my wife mad!

The tear can undo one specific event that the swallower was involved with. That could be entering the room. There may be ways to undo just Chet's death. I will say that piecing together events after the battle might make this easier...that is, I've given clues as to what caused the creature to attack Chet but Angus wouldn't really know exactly what that was given his current predicament. But yes, taking back entering the room would be feasible.

The tear's power is that it negates an event, so if you walked back entering the room none of you would know anything about what lies within.

Note that in accordance with how these games are usually run, I'm not usually going to be this specific regarding the use of magic items, but since this was a gift I'll assume that Angus could have asked questions about how to use it.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#386 Post by Zhym »

onlyme wrote:Could it really have gone much worse? Or, could we just not go into that room?
Well, most of us are alive. If the spellcaster had gotten his spells off, we might have been looking at a TPK. And I don't think we can leave that room alone. Not going in doesn't mean we wouldn't encounter its occupants elsewhere.
AleBelly wrote:The tear can undo one specific event that the swallower was involved with. That could be entering the room. There may be ways to undo just Chet's death. I will say that piecing together events after the battle might make this easier...that is, I've given clues as to what caused the creature to attack Chet but Angus wouldn't really know exactly what that was given his current predicament. But yes, taking back entering the room would be feasible.

The tear's power is that it negates an event, so if you walked back entering the room none of you would know anything about what lies within.
Okay. Knowing that, using the tear right away isn't as compelling.

I was considering using the tear right away in case the battle goes south (or Angus also gets killed), but it looks like finishing these monsters off is the way to go.

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#387 Post by CAI4 »

I would like to keep Chet alive, but I had a fun game with you guys even if you don't use the tear. I'll probably roll up a new character if Chet dies.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#388 Post by tkrexx »

I like Chet!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#389 Post by Zhym »

onlyme wrote:Dandelion asks if the tear thing can be used to only reverse the one action Chet's killer took to take control of him, leaving the others to their actions and fate.
Worth a shot. Anyone have a better idea?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#392 Post by Zhym »

We're gearing up for a new semester, so I'm crazy busy right now. I probably won't be able to post something as important as a tear post until the weekend, if then.

So y'all should feel free to look at other clues in this room. AleBelly did say there might be other ways to bring Chet back, right? ;)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#393 Post by AleBelly »

Ah, sorry for any confusion. Since I've already posted that there really isn't anything interesting in the room (aside from the magical writing around its perimeter), I can say there's nothing in there that would be usable for such a thing.

My comment about ways to bring Chet back meant that there are different specific events that could do so. I think there's already been some discussion on what that event should be that would be walked back.

I'm fine with waiting for the weekend for the post. Other characters should feel free to converse or perform other actions...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#394 Post by Zhym »

CAI4 wrote:Chet, face full of panic, turns and runs towards Yenny.

Initiative [1d6] = 2
We think this was just Chet deciding to run, not the result of a spell, right?

I'm trying to decide between undoing Chet running away (without which he'd have been harder to hit), Chet getting grabbed, Kablamicus not throwing the dart (which precipitated the kill), or Chet not dying.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#395 Post by AleBelly »

Yes, Chet running away was not the result of a spell or some magical power of the creatures you faced. It would be quite clear in the team's postmortem that Chet fled as he realized he was in over his head.

Heavy is the hand that holds the Tear!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#396 Post by Zhym »

Indeed it is.

One more thing I don't understand: how did the bald talky guy get Chet in a position where Chet couldn't get away? Based on the rolls when he killed Chet, he didn't seem to get an automatic kill (which is nice), but I'm curious about the mechanic that got Chat in that position. I don't want Angus to undo Chet getting grabbed by bald talky guy if it's easy for him to get grabbed again.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#397 Post by AleBelly »

This is one of those things that falls outside the rules (IMO). Here's what happened (narrative in black, rulings in red):

Chet had been knocked unconscious by the wound he took when he was trying to flee (0 hp).
The creature teleported to Chet's prone (but living) body, making signs that he would gut Chet if attacked.
If the creature had decided to kill Chet, it would have been immediate with no roll, same as any attack on a completely disabled opponent.
The creature allowed Yenny to heal Chet, but still threatened him.
Chet didn't move out of fear of antagonizing his 'captor'.
If Chet had tried to wiggle out, I could have applied grappling rules, though the creature could have also decided to just kill him. Killing Chet would be unlikely since he wanted to use Chet as a bargaining chip.
The creature attacked Chet once it saw it was being attacked (by the dart).
Since Chet was conscious and not being grappled, I used normal attack rolls.
Yenny, based on the dart being thrown (I think) moved to block the creature from attacking Chet, but was too late.
The creature's initiative beat Yenny's anyway, but I gave it a +3 bonus on initiative because its claws were so close to Chet's throat, and it had been primed to attack in case of danger.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#398 Post by Zhym »

Thanks. That summary of events really helped.

Also, I had no idea that the bald talky guy teleported!

Reading through that, I'm not sure having the bald talky guy not get hold of Chet is the best intervention point. At that point, Chet's out and it's easy for the BTG to just do it again, which puts Chet back in the same situation.

So I'm thinking the best event to undo is either Kablamicus attacking BTG or BTG killing Chet. The latter gives BTG a chance to attack again, though, and I think Chet was low enough on HP that one hit probably knocks him out at best. But undoing Kablamicus's attack probably leaves BTG alive—which might or might not be what we want from a story perspective.

Other "creative" ideas, like us not entering the room, the BTG not having entered the room, etc., probably wouldn't work or would have too many side effects.

Thoughts, everyone?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#399 Post by Zhym »

Oh, here's an intriguing thought. BTG made his dex check to avoid slipping on Chet's blood and being stunned for 1-4 rounds. Could the "event" Angus undoes be BTG making his save—i.e., not slipping and hitting his head? Or, phrased differently, catching his balance?

It's a long shot—we'd need BTG to fail his dex check this time. But even if he makes his save, that might give us another shot at making it out of the combat with everyone alive. Or it could go badly and we'd have more PCs dead.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#400 Post by Zhym »

Okay, action posted. Here's hoping it works out.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”