OOC IV

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC IV

#321 Post by AleBelly »

Update to come on Monday or Tuesday. I have strep throat and my wife is out of town, so I'm busy being sick and single parenting. Apologies for the delay.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#322 Post by Zhym »

That's a fun combination.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by tkrexx »

Strep is making a comeback around here also.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by onlyme »

AleBelly wrote:Update to come on Monday or Tuesday. I have strep throat and my wife is out of town, so I'm busy being sick and single parenting. Apologies for the delay.

So... who gave it to you, then?

Both of my sons had it last month, 2 weeks apart. Luckily it was a fairly simple case. one day sore throat, 2nd day 103 fever, and trip to doc. 3rd day medicine had kicked in. 29th day, a !$#%^&^ doctor bill.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#325 Post by Zhym »

AleBelly wrote:So the party's OK with Figgis and Galan leading the way?
It's reasonable to assume that if the orcs retreated down this hole, they protected the entrance with traps. But a 1st-level dwarf thief has a 35% chance of detecting a trap (40% if he happens to have 18 dexterity). A 4th-level gnome thief with 18 dexterity has a 50/50 chance, but I assume Galvan is an illusionist/thief which means he probably isn't 4th level. And 50/50 odds still aren't great.

We might be better off using a Find Traps spell early on and putting heavily armored people who can take damage in front.

OTOH, scouting with infravision is good. It could be useful to have Galan and Figgis scout ahead then come back and take a position in the middle of the group as it advances far enough for them to scout again.

Would we have had a chance while in town to make Galan and Figgis invisible?

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#326 Post by Bluehorse »

I am a little unclear of what races we have here. Am I playing the only human? I would be the only one "in the dark" when we are in the dark then. Are we talking the passage is pitch dark or just dim?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by Zhym »

Angus and Chet are also darkness disabled.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#328 Post by AleBelly »

Bluehorse wrote:I am a little unclear of what races we have here. Am I playing the only human? I would be the only one "in the dark" when we are in the dark then. Are we talking the passage is pitch dark or just dim?
Oh, thanks for reminding me to update the Adventurers of Masmuria post. There you will find such information.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#329 Post by tkrexx »

I'm convinced there will be traps. Maybe not up close to the surface (that'd be dangerous to trap-setting Orcs), but further down you can bet they will find some way to seek revenge for the loss of their city. The more ways to look for traps, the better. We have many options available to us: The Cleric spell, Detect Invisibility would help find hidden things, the Dwarf's & Gnome's tunneling expertise, and the detection abilities of Galan, Figgis, Chet and even Hyde, tho his sucks. Angus also might be able to note areas avoided by "locals," thus giving us a clue. The owl, now, brings a whole new level to sweep-and-clear. If this creature could be coerced to travel even ahead of our duo of Thieves, it would enhance our efforts some. We will need a light source. Hyde has 9 torches and a candle.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#330 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny has several small objects with continual light cast upon them. She has one casting of detect traps.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#331 Post by Zhym »

Oh, good point about Angus and tracking. I should go post on that topic...

It may have gotten lost in the conversation, but AleBelly, did we lose our chance to invisiblify one or two PCs?

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#332 Post by Tamerlaine »

Zhym wrote:
AleBelly wrote:So the party's OK with Figgis and Galan leading the way?
It's reasonable to assume that if the orcs retreated down this hole, they protected the entrance with traps. But a 1st-level dwarf thief has a 35% chance of detecting a trap (40% if he happens to have 18 dexterity). A 4th-level gnome thief with 18 dexterity has a 50/50 chance, but I assume Galvan is an illusionist/thief which means he probably isn't 4th level. And 50/50 odds still aren't great.

We might be better off using a Find Traps spell early on and putting heavily armored people who can take damage in front.

OTOH, scouting with infravision is good. It could be useful to have Galan and Figgis scout ahead then come back and take a position in the middle of the group as it advances far enough for them to scout again.

Would we have had a chance while in town to make Galan and Figgis invisible?
Don't forget the racial bonus for dwarven thieves as well. Please note that Figgis is well stacked regarding Finding Traps. I like playing my characters and I understand the risks Figgis is undertaking. It's really no big deal if Figgis dies for I can roll up another character. And have no worries about me be ahead and thinking he's going to steal everything in sight before the groups ambles up.

Figgis will also be avoiding fights when he can. Be sure he'll be running back and past everyone if he can. Bit of a craven fellow, Figgis.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Zhym »

AleBelly,

Should we assume that the scouts are reporting back after each update, so others can participate, or should we instead assume that the non-scouts don't know what the scouts have found until they report back IC?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#334 Post by AleBelly »

I'll spoiler things or use private fora to communicate if the whole party isn't aware of something. If it's public please assume the scouts are reporting back.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#335 Post by AleBelly »

I neglected to reply to a couple of things:

Yes, it's too late to retroactively make the scouts invisible, though it can certainly be done now. The idea was suggested but not acted on for the previous day.

Galan and Figgis do report complete darkness once they are out of range of the sunlight below.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#336 Post by AleBelly »

Tamerlaine wrote:Figgis notes the copper coins and hawks up a good chunk of phlegm, spitting it to the floor with distaste.

"Bugger all...copper. Useless shite," the ugly dwarf hisses. "All that amounts t' nothin' and heavy as hell."

He turns to face west and begins his way into the dark, not caring for the heap of copper behind him nor waiting for Galan.
:lol:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#337 Post by Zhym »

Hey, let me know if Angus's post is too meta. It always seems to be a debate how much PCs know of the local bestiary. Absent instructions to the contrary, I tend to play it as my PC having heard of most monsters listed in the book, but not necessarily knowing all the strengths and weaknesses unless the monster is fairly well-known. So, in this case, Angus would have heard about monsters that look like stalagmites. Or stalactites. Whichever. :)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by AleBelly »

I'm a dumbass. I meant stalactite. My mnemonic failed me. I'm going to correct it in the original post - basically, the room is full of sharp pointy things hanging down, like in a cavern.

And also, I don't consider Angus' dialog/actions metagaming. One would expect PCs to have at least heard of these things before, even if they are rumor. As I've said before, though, I do reserve the right to add twists and modify monster capabilities.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#339 Post by Zhym »

I can never remember the difference between stalactites and stalagmites. Thus, it was easy to role-play Angus's confusion.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#340 Post by AleBelly »

OK, Chet is going to scout for traps. Tamerlaine hasn't been online in a week, but he did say that Figgis will scout ahead as a matter of course. Galan didn't quite make that commitment, so that's what I'm going with in my update tonight unless I hear otherwise.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”