Chapter 11a - Targus and the Tome

AleBelly
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 11a - Targus and the Tome

#181 Post by Zhym »

Angus stretches. "That's...a little better," he says with a wink. "I think I see your problem, though. You called on the healing energy of the sun right after setting the clouds to give you lightning! Thanks for trying, though."

More somberly, he picks up Ilfrien's sword. "Leddilir, Bane of Giants" he reads. "I reckon one of us ought to carry it. Dandelion? You seem to be the only other of this bunch here what could use this. I never been much of one for swords, but I reckon it's time to learn. If we both want the sword we can flip a coin or something. I'll let someone else have my hammer if I win. That seem fair?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion embarrassingly shakes her head.

(unless this sword is a bastard, which I doubt)
I have studied for some time with a sword, but one of the larger variety. I found the smaller ones require too much sweat to get a decent workout. If you want to learn and can use it, I think you spent more time with her and would get the greater satisfaction.

if it was a bastard sword, then she would be much more interested.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#183 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny looks towards Tempus and says in a soft tone, "It would not be amiss to start her pyre with lightning from above."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Zorroroaster »

"A shame to let it go to waste. Light it up, she'd like that. Ride the lightning, Ill Friend..." Arnulf releases a heavy sigh as he watches the pyre take shape.

He carefully packages the dragon's breath glands and places them in his satchel, taking care to insulate them from harm.

When talk turns of the dragon and it's lair, his head swivels around.

"We could just walk in and have a look around, right? It's not like anyone's home anymore. And we'd better do it now, before word gets out that it's dead. Arseholes will be crowding the place soon enough looking for whatever hoard this beast might have accumulated. That's our hoard, far as I'm concerned."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by Zhym »

Angus nods to Dandelion. He gives Leddilir a few test swings and straps it to his waist. It feels weird. Almost foreign. "Anyone want a magic hammer?" he asks.

While the others prepare for Ilfrien's funeral, Angus sets to digging graves for the slain farmers.

"No argument from me," he tells Arnulf. "But ain't white dragons supposed to lair in underwater caves and such? If so, how do you reckon we get to the hoard without drowning?"

If Angus is grabbing that sword too fast, someone please speak up. I just figure ranger + giantbane sword will be a heck of a combo if we start fighting giantkin.

Hey, there's an ogre pit not far off... :D

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by Zorroroaster »

"Maybe so, but even a young dragon would be smart enough not to have just one lair entrance. And those lakes are chock full of nixies, or so I've heard. I'll bet it's lair also has an exit opening to the sky. That's what I would do, if I were a dragon. It's worth a look. The only other issue is if it's in the middle of the lake. Anyone have a boat?"
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus nods and once the pyre is ready calls down a bolt from the broiling clouds to strike the pyre, eyes filled with lightning and long dreadlocks dancing about him.

"With some rest I can bestow the power to breathe water on someone if the lair is underwater. If you can find the lair Angus it might be worth checking out." the halfling says with a shrug

"Perhaps we should secure the perimeter and make sure nothing else approaches. "
Greys Campaign.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#188 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny - "It sure would be fun to see a dragon's lair. Especially one without a dragon in it!"

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#189 Post by CAI4 »

As the pyre ignites, the flames reflect off the water welling up in Chet's eyes. "You will not be forgotten, Ilfrien."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by AleBelly »

A scant pyre is hastily assembled as the clouds above pulse with energy. By this point, several residents have been drawn to the globe of light and commotion. All are greatly unsettled by the sight of the dragon's corpse. Yenny harvests four bones from the skull of the great beast that may be useful for divining the future.

Tempus, hair standing on end with electrical energy, calls down a bolt from the heavens. Tinder ignites and Ilfrien's body is consumed. Her ashes are dispersed by the light breeze.

Our adventurers are embraced as heroes. And are suddenly experts on all matters dragon-related. "Are there more? What brought it?" Many pitch in, working hard against the frozen soil to lay the elderly couple to rest. Words of remembrance are uttered. Followers of Perun, their rites will be performed later.

As the night drags on, they are praised "ALL HAIL THE DRAGON SLAYERS!!!!"

DM rolls dice

Late into the night the crowd disperses. Mourning complete, the party returns to their cottage. Several days pass. Galan and Hyde, fresh from training, rejoin the party. It is now the evening of the 13th of Hewing. Discussion turns to next steps. Whither to next? It is suggested that the dragon left behind a lair.

82 xp to those involved in the battle.
Last edited by AleBelly on Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#191 Post by CAI4 »

"The dragon lair sounds OK, but I'd rather help the Sambords and go to the prison again. Can we take a vote?" asks Chet as they plot next steps.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by AleBelly »

I'm going to assume by a combination of rest and spells, everyone is restored to full HP. New PCs should also feel free to post now.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus still has training of Clarence to continue,and won't be going anywhere until he has taught him how to attack as well as be comfortable with being the halfling druid's steed.
Greys Campaign.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#194 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny--"I'm mighty torn. The Sambords have been slightly prickly, but like all good folk, deserve our help. But the chance to see a real dragon lair before it gets looted by others--that is hard to beat. I'd say I'd be for heading that aways if I can get some company. Especially with some water breathing and a little protection from cold. I could protect several of us for most of an hour if prepared."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Zhym »

Did we manage to go back and pick up the letter from Targus somewhere in all that time?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by AleBelly »

He only wanted to give it to you just before you left the area. So not yet.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by Zhym »

"Well, ain't we just big damned heroes," says Angus. "Again."

When talk turns to plans, the woodsman gets fidgety and looks to the south. "We've dawdled here long enough. How long was it we were told to get the hell away from Alleborg but fast? A week? More? Skedaddling in the general direction of Sambord is still a mighty fine idea. We can go by way of the dragon's lake if we need to, but I ain't keen on dealing with nixies. Anyone got notions on how we get past them?"

He again offers the magic hammer for anyone else who can use it.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#198 Post by enn.in.me »

I assume this is a war hammer and that Yenny's throwing hammer proficiency wouldn't work with it. Next proficiency add is 8th or 9th level....

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by Zhym »

Yeah. War hammer.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by tkrexx »

Gettin' clear of Alleborg, that be a good idea, yeahh, Hyde advises. Don't much care which ways we go, so long as we wind up at the Sambords.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”