Chapter 11a - Targus and the Tome

AleBelly
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 11a - Targus and the Tome

#161 Post by Keehnelf »

Yeah, I'll spend a bit of time later today maybe putting together a new character :)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by onlyme »

DAndelion attempts to pull the trident out and re-engage, but it takes too long to get free. Her attempt is wild.

Dandelion The Lone City in the Wildlands dam L [3d4+5] = 6+5 = 11; crit [1d100] = 27; init [1d6] = 5 10/13/2016 10:25:40 AM
Dandelion The Lone City in the Wildlands Trident [1d20+3] = 4+3 = 7; dam s/m [1d6+6] = 6+6 = 12
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus continues his call to the Lightning up above
Greys Campaign.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Zorroroaster »

"No....no..." Arnulf whispers as he watches Ilfrien destroyed in front of his eyes. He wants to scream, but finds himself suddenly breathless with grief and remorse. He clamps down on his fear and jogs forward a little before planting his feet and pointing directly at the dragon. He mutters an incantation and a pair of deadly missiles speed unerringly towards the dragon.

Initiative: [1d6] = 1

Magic Missile: [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4
Magic Missile: [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3

Ironic how Arnulf's plan was to blind the dragon and even though he failed, Dandelion managed to get the job done! RIP Ilfrien!
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#165 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny looks down at Tempus and, saying a short prayer for the short one, runs circularly towards the dragon so as not to give away Tempus' location. Hoping to make ranged spell attack next round.

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#166 Post by CAI4 »

Chet grits his teeth. "THIS IS FOR ILFRIEN!!!!!!" he bellows as he tries to shove his entire spetum into the belly of the dragon.

Initiative [1d6] = 6
To hit [1d20-2] = 6-2 = 4
Crit [1d100] = 68
Damage [1d10+2] = 2+2 = 4

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by AleBelly »

Chet bellows in rage and grief as he tries to exact revenge for his elven friend, but the dragon moves swiftly and evades the monk's thrust. Angus maneuvers quickly into position, and finds a white flank openly exposed. He swings fiercely with his hammer. A flash emits from his hammer as it splinters four of the dragon's scales. More gooey ichor oozes from the wound. The wyrm roars again with pain. Yet again it belches fog and ice, this time at the woodsman. He too is fully engulfed. Deafening pings reverberate as ice disintegrates against his armor. He emerges from the fog badly wounded, a red hoary frost hanging off his stubble and hair.

Dandelion tries to finish the dragon but her angle not as good this time. Dragon skin rebuffs her attack.

Yenny, seeing her comrades in danger, thinks Tempus safe and moves forward. Arnulf does the same. Grieved at the site of the fallen Ilfrien, he strides forward, crying "AETHER SAGGITUS!"" Bolts, the very embodiment of the pudgy mage's wrath, materialize from each of his index fingers and arc directly towards the hulking target. Two sharp reports cut through the cold night air as they collide with the dragon's hide. More thick blood spatters forth. Its one intact eye regards the mage ever so briefly with disbelief as it collapses to the ground. Fog escapes its mouth as its lungs exhale a raspy sigh. The beast is still for seconds, and it is apparent it has breathed its last.

A mix of relief and sorrow wash over the party. Despite his emotional state, the rational magic-obsessed part of Arnulf's brain can't help but think of how valuable the dragon's breath glands would be for magical purposes.

Actions? Well done! This was a very rare encounter...very low chances of this one coming up!

Date: 9 Culling, Year 42
Time: 21:42
Conditions: cloudly and misty, 2 inches of slick, icy snow on ground, very light breeze
Known Spells in Effect: Party is blessed until 21:43. Call Lightning for Tempus available 21:47. Light globe active until 23:21
Light bearers: Light spell, globe just in vicinity of the dragon
Intended Direction of Travel: n/a
Injuries: Dandelion slightly wounded, Ilfrien dead, Angus seriously injured

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Zhym »

Angus spins around and looks at Arnulf, impressed. "You done come a long way since crapping your pants at some skeletons, boy. Now you can start telling folks you're a dragon slayer!"

He turns back to the dragon and kicks it out of spite. He goes to Ilfrien and confirms that she's beyond help, then checks to see whether any of the bodies the dragon was arranging have any life left in them. If they too are dead he turns back to the dragon.

"How many dragon parts are worth something, you reckon?" he asks.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Zorroroaster »

"No, you can tell them I'm a dragonslayer. They'd never believe me." His voice is raw with emotion as he bends over Ilfrien's remains. When he stands up, his tear stained face reflects the light from the globe hovering in the air above.

"The breath glands. I'll want to take those. They're crazy useful. Aphoz will know what to do with them. I'm sure other parts must be useful. Can you make armour from the hide? Or use the talons for anything?"

He stands there shaking his hands, feeling suddenly useless and tired. Almost as an afterthought, he turns and yells into the darkness.

"You can stop with the dancing. It's over. Unless you want the gods to cook up the meat or something."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by AleBelly »

Forgot to mention that Yenny may find a few of the small dragon bones useful for an augury spell. Avoids the need to use a 100gp pearl.

Fidget76
Tracker
Tracker

#171 Post by Fidget76 »

Goranth and the bear will peak out of the cabin to see if the coast is clear.

Not sure how long the effect of dragon fear will last in this world. But Goranth would like to lend a hand where he can when he stops pissing in his boots.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by AleBelly »

Yes, he can go ahead and join up with the others as they consider what to do next.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#173 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny arrives breathless as the dragon collapses. She walks around Ilfrien's body once in each direction before arranging her body in a fallen warrior's pose, sword to hand. She pauses for a moment in contemplation and then reaches into a pouch. Ilfrien, Yenny, and any nearby are dropped into absolute darkness. "Ilfrien, through your life you were surrounded by anger and hate. You lived perilously close to the edge of a pit of chaos. Your words were difficult to swallow. Your actions tonight and for the brief time I knew you showed me that despite all of that, your heart was strong. Though you may have lived in the dark, may you confront death in the light. Veles take you and bring you peace.". With these last words, the night is illuminated by a blinding light that appears to emanate from Ilfrien's loosely clasped hands. Yenny stands, brushing snow from her knees, "Come friends, I am too small. Help me bring this hero's body back so that we may send it off in a blaze of light."

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#174 Post by enn.in.me »

collecting the dragon's wishbone for an augury would be great-perhaps in the morning, or perhaps if somebody else is doing things like that tonight. Yenny plans to stand vigilant over Ilfrien's pyre for the night, assuming that happens.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus will complete his spell before anything else.
Greys Campaign.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion nods at the solemn request to attend to Ilfrien's funeral. But, almost by instinct, she first takes the time to wipe off dragon eye from her shiny trident.

She'll ask, quietly,
"Does anyone know where this one came? any chance there is an unguarded liar waiting on our arrival?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#177 Post by CAI4 »

Chet's face is set in a scowl as he regards Ilfrien's body. "Maybe she can be brought back to life?" he asks hopefully.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Zhym »

Angus shakes his head. "Even if we had the money for that sort of thing—and we don't, not by a damn sight—and even if the person we'd probably have to go to wasn't the person what may be wanting to kill us, it wouldn't do Ilfrien any good. Elf Bitch is—was—an elf, you see. They ain't like us. You or me, we die, we go to whatever happy holy land of bliss our gods set up house in. Elves, now—well, ain't no one sure what happens to elves when they die. Some say they ain't got souls. Seems a mite harsh to me. All we know is elves never come back. Leastwise, not like they used to be. If Tempus there gets powerful enough, maybe he could bring her back as something else. Orc, kobold, centaur, bear, whatever—me, I reckon she'd be happy as a wolverine. Ornery cusses, those. Anyhow, Tempus ain't near that powerful yet."

"Sorry, but she's gone."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by AleBelly »

Angus, face blistered and abraded, kicks the dragon and checks on the bodies. He finds the bodies of an elderly couple, a goat, and a milk cow. Their lives have indeed been extinguished by claw and bite.

Yenny, not familiar with the rites of Gormoth, bestows the ritual blessings of Veles upon the fallen Ilfrien. There is darkness, then light. The grim task of recovering her belongings begins. Her coin purse contains 160 gp, 17 of the ugly orc electrum pieces, 8 silver and 12 copper. A holy symbol and mirror are in another pouch. In an under-arm sheath is a dagger. Lying next to her are a shield and her sword. The hilt is wrapped as if a common sword, but inspection of the blade reveals delicate elven script. When Arnulf or Angus care to read it, they find it reads "Leddilir, Bane of Giants." Arnulf borrows Ilfrien's dagger and is able to harvest the large glands from the roof of the great dragon's mouth. They are frigid to the touch.

Yenny suggests a funeral pyre for their comrade. Chet asks about resurrection instead. But Yenny knows that none of her order are capable of such godly works. Some in the party recall Adalbert, head of the Perunian church, performs such feats in public occasionally.

Dandelion studies the ground, hoping to discern from which direction the dragon came. She can make neither heads nor tails of things. Angus, unable to help himself, studies the disturbances in the snow. He reads a particular set of smeared clawprints in the ground, and determines that it came from the south-southeast, at a bearing of about 155 degrees. This jogs the memory of tales told by Ilfrien, Korok, Arlandria and Yana a couple months ago. Of a large clawprint found near a frozen lake.

Tempus, apparently not convinced the danger is over, calls forth the power of the heavens. Small cracks of thunder, rare for this time of year, crackle overhead as cords of light flash in the clouds above.

Date: 9 Culling, Year 42
Time: 22:12
Conditions: cloudly and misty, 2 inches of slick, icy snow on ground, very light breeze
Known Spells in Effect: Call Lightning for Tempus available until 22:17. Light globe active until 23:21
Light bearers: Light spell, globe just in vicinity of the dragon
Intended Direction of Travel: n/a
Injuries: Dandelion slightly wounded, Ilfrien dead, Angus seriously injured

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Storm11 »

Once he has connected with the storm clouds above Tempus moves over to Angus, obviously injured.

"Here ranger, the healing energy of the sun be upon you!" he says chanting a spell in his Druids tongue.

[1d8] = 1

He will cast his other healing spell as well.

[1d8] = 2

my rolling SUcKS!
Greys Campaign.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”