Chapter 11a - Targus and the Tome

AleBelly
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 11a - Targus and the Tome

#201 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf is happy to see his comrades return. He helps the retelling of their story with relish, though he finds it difficult when talking about Ilfrien. There's a moment of silence. More suppressed tears.

"We've got a bounty on our heads. If we go to Sambords now, I'm sure that whoever is after us will know we're there. The last place anyone will expect us to be is off in the woods for a day looking for this lair. Then we go to the Sambords via a different path - nobody will know where we are. Safer that way, if you ask me."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion nods,
That makes total sense. Does anyone know what to expect from a real dragon's lair? Any chance there is an older brother there who will be really pissed.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Keehnelf »

A heavy "crunch, crunch" of bootsteps in the snow is audible from outside the farmhouse as the group discusses its next steps, followed by a heavy knock on the door. Should the door be opened, a hunch-shouldered dwarf woman stands at the stoop, a sword and shield slung across her back and shivering against the cold in heavy lamellar armor and inappropriate gear for winter. She points off toward the charred wreckage of the dragon corpse and the battlefield in the distance. "Castleman sent me to help some folks looking to solve our fair city's problems," she chuckles. "That lightning has all the hallmarks of a group of dedicated and unorthodox problem solvers. Got room for another pair of hands?" She extends one of those to whoever's answered the door. "The name is Steelcuff: Sagthistle Steelcuff". She doesn't smile, but her tone is friendly.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Zhym »

"How do," says Angus, shaking the dwarf woman's hand in his own.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion looks over the dwarf. Bad posture for sure, which means she probably doesnt take care of herself. She doesnt have an overcoat, which means she has enough sense to know not to wear one from last season, cold be damned.

She quickly decides the stranger is salvageable despite some flaws, and welcomes her.
Greetings, my dear. I'm Dandelion.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#206 Post by enn.in.me »

"It is quite a pleasure to meet you. My name is Yenny. Please, come in and warm up." Yenny chuckles a bit, mumbling, "unorthodox indeed".

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf high-fives Yenny.

"Unorthodox? Lady, you don't know the half of it. Welcome aboard."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Zhym »

"Alrighty, then," says Angus. "Back to business. We gonna head out now before the dragon's hoard gets hoarded by someone else, or we all gonna wait here for Tempus to 'train his bear' or whatever the kids are calling it these days?"

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#209 Post by enn.in.me »

Let's finish our night's rest and head out to the lair.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Keehnelf »

"Oh," says the newcomer. "Right to it then? Well, I guess as long as the dragon's dead I don't mind making a trek to its lair."

Sagthistle sort of apologetically lets herself down into a heap in the corner, laying her arms and armor nearby as she leans against the wall to rest.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by tkrexx »

Retro-Quest.
The hairy Half-Orc moves to the far side of the room with some haste. While the others are greeting, they may overhear him attempting the mouthful that is the Dwarf's name. I'm Hyde. "Heartless," they call me, but it's not true. His eyes are wide and his demeanor much more serious than normal. He glances to the others before he continues. Dwarfs don't like me much, no.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by Keehnelf »

Sagthistle gives Hyde a quick sniff. "What? What'd you do?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Storm11 »

"Welcome on board. Am relatively new here myself, grab a spot. Names Tempus Werefoot!" says the dreadlocked halfling with a wave of his bare furry feet
Greys Campaign.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by tkrexx »

Hah? Hyde stammers, looking this way and that, What? What'd I do?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by Keehnelf »

Sagthistle gives a low, humorless laugh. "You said dwarves didn't like you much--I figured that meant you did something to em."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by AleBelly »

And so on the night of 13 Culling, the party decides to search for the white dragon's lair. After harvesting the parts Cloudy, warmer weather has melted most of the snow on the ground. A welcome development - the party will be more difficult to track.

Tempus opts to remain behind in order to fully train his black bear. He informs the party that he will set magical snares and fire-trapped locks to keep himself safe.

A magical war hammer goes unclaimed. Perhaps it can be sold at the Sambord fort.

So far, I’ve seen the following agreeing to head out to search for the lair:
Arnulf
Angus
Dandelion
Sagthistle
Hyde
Chet
Yenny
Possible:
Goranth
Galan
It looks like there will be two more joining the game, and they are looking to form a fresh group. So if the lair isn’t an interesting destination this new group could be another option.

Will post tomorrow with the folks heading out. Please let me know of memorized spells of interest or other precautions that will be taken. Please also provision yourselves. All standard rations have spoiled, though each of you are given five days’ worth before heading out as thanks from those around you.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by Zhym »

Angus visits Targus before heading out. If asked, the ranger will say that the group is about to go to Sambord. He will not volunteer any information about the directness of the route.

Fidget76
Tracker
Tracker

#218 Post by Fidget76 »

After welcoming the dwarf and always being happy to seeing someone who is closer to his own stature, Goranth settles in to meditate and study prior to embarking on the trip to the dragon's lair. He has a lot to think about considering his failings in the previous encounter. He knows that he cannot allow himself to run again.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”