Chapter 11 - Back to No-Go (Knob Forest)

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 11 - Back to No-Go (Knob Forest)

#341 Post by AleBelly »

at the sage’s

Ilfrien reacquaints herself with the group. Will the gain of her sword skill compensate for the loss of Hellebore’s natural powers? Time will tell.

They make their way to the sage in the center of town, just paces from the court. The vapid, bawdy books continue to line the shelves. Seeing the large tome under Angus’ arm, a clerk runs to the back. Targus appears soon afterwards, impeccably attired and surprised. His face alights when he sees the musty old tome. ”So quickly!” he smiles, rubbing his hands together. ”Shall we have a look?” he asks rhetorically. He gently places the book in a special cradle to avoid opening it fully and pulls a pair of thin snow-white gloves from his coat pocket. ”You haven’t handled this?”. Seeing that they haven’t, and learning that it has been checked form traps, he goes to a back room and returns with a thin metal rod with a spatula at the end.

”Mmmm…can’t tell from the cover, but you found this in a church crawlspace?” No special knowledge here, just assuming the party told him. Many hold their breath unconsciously as he opens it…

Disappointingly, the first few pages are completely ruined, the black ink faded from the waterlogged pages. As Targus turns the pages gently with his tool, a word or two can be made from the subsequent pages. After several dozen, two stanzas, as if from a poem, are written. The handwriting appears to be consistent.

Middling wise every man should be:
Beware of being too wise
Happiest in life most likely he
Who knows not more than is needful

...and...

Happy is he who hath won him
Perun’s ways and wisdom
For ill led is oft who asketh help
From the wit and words of another

”Perunists aren’t known for their prose” mutters the sage, almost apologetically.

And many pages later, green ink is written across the page. This, the party cannot read. Targus stoops over it squinting. After several moments, recognition washes over his face. ”Written in the tongue of the lizard man. Note the change in color. Priests of Perun are forbidden to write in such a way that would confuse their words with those from Perun himself. The esoteric tongue suggests he wishes to keep the meaning hidden.”

He sighs. ”Well, now is when we discuss your payment. I can either buy the book from you outright, if you wish to sell, or our translation of the passage, with context to their meaning, will be your payment. How would you like to be compensated?”

Actions?

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#342 Post by enn.in.me »

"Some of us are after knowledge while I'm sure others in the group would prefer more earthly treasure. What would you pay outright for the book?"

my thought is that if the money is not too high, Yenny, at least, would vote to see the translation but be willing to compensate party members who don't give a hoot out of her own pocket and hopefully the pockets of other likeminded sorts.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by Zhym »

"We'd be mighty grateful of a translation," says Angus without hesitation.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by AleBelly »

"A service I will happily render" replies Targus. He tries to maintain a facade of good cheer, but something now seems to trouble him. "I will give this my undivided attention. Call again at lunch tomorrow. And I advise you to tell no one else about this tome."

With that, he lifts the cradle and book and returns to the back offices.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#345 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny lifts an eye at Angus as they depart. "wheelies within wheels, it seems. I hope he is true to his word.

What is next, do you think?"

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf's disembodied voice, from somewhere off to the left:

"A drink. Let's see how things play out."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by tkrexx »

This is STUPID! The Clan can hear Hyde bellyaching before they see him, stomping angrily toward the Sage house. Those boneheads wouldn't even let me in, no! I tolt 'em me and the Magistrate, we be good pals, yeahh, but they was stubborn about it.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#348 Post by enn.in.me »

"Hyde--a secret voice has told me it's time for a drink. Perhaps it is my spiritual guidance. Will you join us. Then we can discuss what we should do. If anything."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by Zhym »

"A damned fine idea," says Angus. "But I got me a couple of errands to run first. I'll meet y'all Six Steps from the Gutter."

As he takes his leave, he starts muttering and counting. "Two days stabling, re-stock rations and feed, room and board for the night...might be able to do with forty gold." He shakes his head and frowns. "Don't leave nearly enough, but better that than nothing I reckon. Least I ain't fixing on having to pay for training for a good long spell."

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#350 Post by Nuke66 »

Galan will poke about town while is is still invisible, looking for any targets of opportunity and hint's about the funny business going on here.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by tkrexx »

Yeahh, we ain't seen Guffy in a while, Hyde agrees, Maybe he has some news for us, hah?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion asks if they will be in town long enough for her to see her trainer for a few days. (needs 1/2 week).

If so, she will go there.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#353 Post by Keehnelf »

Ilfrien shrugs and heads to the tavern with those who are pointed that way, sure to keep her hood up and her eyes peeled for trouble.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#354 Post by AleBelly »

Update should be coming by tonight - I realize you probably don't want to do much before hearing what the sage has to say.

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#355 Post by CAI4 »

Chet walks into Guffy's, panting. He spots the party seated at a table. He counts, twice, on his fingers. Then asks, "where the heck's Hellebore?"

If asked about his trip with Tempus:

"Well, we had a pretty long journey. We got an offer from Saphrax. He offered us an alliance to team up against and weaken Alleborg. He said if we don't, Trona will try to slay us with his ghouls and stuff. Tempus and I refused. We also picked up a bear, apparently, and it's Tempest's new fighting companion. He's at the cottage. But he's going to be training the bear for awhile. The bear's name is Clarence."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by AleBelly »

This chapter is over. I'll copy Chet's news in the Guffy thread.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”