Hear Ye, Hear Ye!

AleBelly
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Hear Ye, Hear Ye!

#21 Post by Enoch »

Is this 200xp in addition to previous XP from posts, etc., or does this replace earlier xp from those rewards?
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by AleBelly »

It's in addition.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by KingOfCowards »

AleBelly wrote:Now you've done it...2000 posts! That's 500 in just nine days, which is ridiculous. 200xp for those that posted.

A hint I will offer: if PCs don't have enough money to pay for level training when they get to town (but do have enough xp), they can explore options to paying in gold. They may not always like the option, though.

Chat with me in the private forum; your character will know where to go for training.
I had enough xp when we were in town last time. Not enough gold though, that's why I didn't buy a horse.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by AleBelly »

In the interest of transparency, I thought I'd mention a couple of things:

1. I don't always link to dice rolls. Sometimes this is because I roll with real dice - my work computer blocks the dice roller website, and cell reception in my building is terrible. If a player gets hit or damaged, I will link those. This should be OK, but let me know if any of you have a problem with this. I don't fudge dice. Which leads us to #2...

2. CAI4 is actually my 8-year-old son. I asked him to roll up a character for this game at the last minute because one player disappeared just as I was launching the game. He rolls his dice at home in front of me...and he doesn't actually read this website. I narrate the action and your actions verbally, usually reading from the screen. So, if you don't see his rolls often linked that is why. Know again that I DON'T FUDGE DICE ROLLS. He knows this too, as I've refereed the death of many of his characters at a game we run at home. I do not suggest actions to him, nor do I give him a "second chance." Once he states actions, they are written in stone same as anyone who posts. I do clarify his language from time to time. Most of his suggestions will stem from bad past experiences. His suggestion to do double shifts was borne from a TPK experience in which his lone watchman was surprised and killed...and the others were killed as they woke.

I think it worked out well, since he plays a character of low intelligence and the writing skills of an 8-year-old are not as well developed as an adult's.

I just wanted to get this out there to be fully transparent. Let me know if there are any issues with any of this. If you feel better that his dice rolls be linked to the roller, let me know. I always prefer seeing the dice tumble, but understand if some of you had an issue with this.

Thanks!

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Zorroroaster »

1. I have absolutely no issues with this, you do whatever works best for you. An awesome game is just that, I don't need absolute stat transparency to enjoy what we're building here. It's great.

2. That's super cool that your son is playing Chet! Chet is awesome!!! I just got my 4 year old boy to play a few very simple sessions with some of his toys and a castle we have with very basic rules and he loves it. So glad to have him aboard! Do you not let him read the site in case there's something unsavoury? If so, I'm happy to try and help maintain a clean game if you would rather. Gaming like this so so good for their brains in so many ways. Math, critical thinking, creativity, etc. Awesome!
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#26 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Haha!

That's totally awesome!

I don't link rolls in the games I run either as I like rolling actual dice most of the time as well. That's one of the fun parts of the game after all.

And as long as we are all being honest......I'm only 10. :lol:

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by AleBelly »

Zorroroaster wrote:I just got my 4 year old boy to play a few very simple sessions with some of his toys and a castle we have with very basic rules and he loves it. So glad to have him aboard! Do you not let him read the site in case there's something unsavoury? If so, I'm happy to try and help maintain a clean game if you would rather. Gaming like this so so good for their brains in so many ways. Math, critical thinking, creativity, etc. Awesome!
No, I expressly don't want others to be extra-clean for his sake (or change their actions in any way...that's part of the reason I haven't mentioned this before). I mainly do it because he's used to playing that way. I find it helps to communicate the mood with voice inflections, etc. Besides, anything you all could write unfortunately pales in comparison to what he hears at home. :oops:

It being good for the brain is why I started playing with him a year or so ago. He loves math and strategy games (I'm actually at a chess tournament with him this weekend, which is why I've had so much time to post), and it's amazing how creative they can be if you remove the railroad that is present in so many video games. Of course, some of these ideas are spectacular failures, but those are good learning experiences too!
OGRE MAGE wrote:
And as long as we are all being honest......I'm only 10. :lol:
I knew it - that explains being a Packers fan! Seriously, though, I do suspect there really are some teenage or younger kids on this board.

I must emphasize that I hope nobody changes their actions towards Chet just because he's being played by a kid. It's not fair to you, and he's lost enough characters that he handles it well. For instance, he's enjoying the enmity between Ilfrien and Chet and incorporating that into his roleplaying.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#28 Post by enn.in.me »

It's all better than good!

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by KingOfCowards »

I think this is super cool. I think I started playing D&D at 8 as well. But that was a long time ago, now.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#30 Post by enn.in.me »

Yeah - I was probably about 8 or 9 also. Hard to remember. Merlin the magic user, though - remember that. Eventually hit 12th level.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Zorroroaster »

Same here, Red Box for Christmas, must have 9 or 10 years old?

Good times.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#32 Post by OGRE MAGE »

No wonder you guys are so good at this. I didn't start till about 14 or 15 myself. Seems like ages ago to me now though. :)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Keehnelf »

My parents sat me down at age 4 as they were running A3 for the first time and coached me into running it (because everyone there wanted to play). I never stood a chance :(

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Huh, I started playing D&D like... maybe 2 years ago? Co-worker (Antman9) got me into it. I'm currently 22...23 on Wednesday.

Since then I've kind of just jumped in if the amount of games I participate here is any indication, I also run games as well. I play in two FTF games that alternate every friday, plus run my own game, usually on Saturday or Tuesday.

When I joined Unseen I had maybe a couple months of D&D under my belt, going over my first posts as Durgan the Druid in Pyroarrow's Guido's campaign it's really almost shocking how both my actions and writing have evolved.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by Enoch »

I found an unopened Red Box in my closet when I was 9 or 10. No idea where it came from, but I was fascinated. Read it cover to cover, made characters, etc. Played a session or two with a friend and his brother, but it didn't go anywhere. Collected AD&D 2e books like a fanatic, and occasionally other systems, but never really played anything until I joined a Skype game playing Burning Wheel.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Keehnelf »

I'm excited to see my little guy get to an age where he's interested in this sort of thing. Might convince my wife to try her hand at something other than magical- girl or magical-animal-style anime RPGs.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by MonkeyWrench »

I've been trying to get my 7 year old nephew into the games, he's interested but being a kid his interest doesn't stay long...

His true hearts desire lies with his Wii and Skylanders games, which I think is cool, but I still wish the kid read more or just did something ELSE besides playing on his mom's phone and tablet or sit in front of the Wii.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Marullus »

OGRE MAGE wrote: And as long as we are all being honest......I'm only 10. :lol:
OGRE MAGE wrote:No wonder you guys are so good at this. I didn't start till about 14 or 15 myself. Seems like ages ago to me now though. :)
OGRE MAGE wrote:My names Rob and I'm still pretty new around here I guess. I played in a AD&D group way back in high school (mid 80's) but have been away from the gaming table for a long time until recently.
Are you playing "two lies and a truth" or something?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Keehnelf »

He's Merlin and he lives backward.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#40 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Anaal nath rakh!