Chapter 17 - Delve Deux into the Orcless Orc Stronghold

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 17 - Delve Deux into the Orcless Orc Stronghold

#121 Post by AleBelly »

onlyme wrote: (since previous one didnt mention 2, I assume this round is, then)
2 attacks aren't possible when moving more than 10' (much like bow fire or spellcasting). She is, however, up for two attacks next round.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Bluehorse »

Kablamicus

Looks at Galan with gritted teeth as there is a heavy thud on the door, presumably from the snake striking against it. "Did you see the size of that room? Unless I am mistaken... and I rarely am, mind you... That was a room directly adjoining to the room where poor Chet fell... Given consideration of space and closure... but assuming that big snake has some measure of animal intelligence, it is likely to be able to circle around. This may be good at first since I would mean the orcs are cornered and not us... but... we should be mindful of the snake even if we go the other way... On the other hand... Hmmm... I might have an idea... SOPHOMORE! Oh! There you are...
I have a task for you... Fly back around over the melee, through the other door in the stalagmite room, and where our companion fell the last time. See if you can attract the attention of the large snake behind this door and lead him this way, once he is in the last room behind the orcs, return to me so I can warn the others to be ready.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by AleBelly »

Angus and Dandelion hold the line against the orcs, taking care not to advance to the turn in the hallway where they might be subjected to missile fire too. Angus lunges with his sword, but he's still not too comfortable with Ilfrien's elven weapon. Dandelion's first thrust with her trident fares no better. The two fresh orcs, stepping over the bodies of their fallen tribe, miss with a spear and battle axe. Another waits behind, as Yenny advances a few feet. She pulls a small piece of iron from her belt pouch and begins to pray to Veles. She finishes her dweomer with a mighty "MOTUS SUBSISTO!!!.

Orc saves [1d20] = 1, [1d20] = 19, [1d20] = 18

O3 goes rigid, its lips drawn back in a snarl...its spear still in its hand. Yenny watches in disappointment as the other two continue to move, but Dandelion quickly cuts one down, adding three to the count of dead orcs.

"We'll just keep coming!!!" says a particularly ugly orc as it joins the fray. Another takes the place of the frozen orc, eyes intently watching Angus.

Hyde snarls in frustration as he's unable to join the fray. Instead, he shows his sword and returns crude remarks about his enemies' matrilineal heritage.

Galan and Figgis continue to hide near the door. Kablamicus gives Sophomore instructions. The owl hoots, unsure of himself, but complies. It flies out of sight, around the corner.

DM rolls dice

Above the din, Angus, Dandelion and Hyde hear the unmistakable sound of a crossbow bolt clanking off the stone wall. The same gruff orcish voice that had previously called for surrender is heard ordering "Gunkhuk. Go kill that thing. Then go downstairs and report. Warriors and at least one sorceror!"

Actions? O3 is held by Yenny's spell.
022618.png
022618.png (1012.9 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Date: 29 Culling, Year 44
Time: 6:42
Conditions: 44F, damp
Known Spells in Effect: Kablamicus Shield through 6:45, Bless through 6:47 (Kablamicus, Yenny, Figgis, Galan, Sophomore), Orc held through 6:51
Light bearers: Yenny's bracelet, Angus' bullseye lantern through 10:15, Hyde's torch through 7:15
Injuries: Yenny, Angus, Dandelion barely wounded; Hyde, Kablamicus lightly wounded; Galan, Figgis moderately wounded

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#124 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny advances down the hall, about halfway to the melee, digging in her pack as she goes. As she pulls up, the throws a flaming flask against the rear wall, attempting to bank it a little around the corner. Ideally centered behind 05 to get some splash back on him and his buddies.

Initiative [1d6] = 5
Throw roll [1d20] = 4

Apparently it not only takes a little while to dig out the Greek fire, but walls are harder to hit than she thinks...

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion presses her attack forward, hoping to make short work of the orcs in front of her.

Trident (17) [1d20+5] = 6+5 = 11; dam S-M [1d6+6] = 3+6 = 9; crit [1d100] = 82; init [1d6] = 4
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Zhym »

Angus swings in effectively yet again. "How'd Elf Bitch get so deadly with this thing?" he wonders.

Leddilir v. evil humanoid (THAC0 17): [1d20] = 7 [1d8+6] = 8+6 = 14/[1d12+6] = 12+6 = 18 (SM/L), Crit: [1d100] = 19
Last edited by Zhym on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by tkrexx »

If Hyde's words were swords, all the Orcs before his tribe would be dead and mutilated. Yeahh, Gunkhuk, ya maggot, go make your report, tell 'em Hyde the Heartless is gonna wipe his hairy butt with ya! They be sendin' you 'cuz ya be as useless in a fight as a Kobold! You be afeared of seein' my face, yeahh, ya'd potty your little panties! So run away and make your report, hah? Bring the real fightas back hyah! His own experiences with insults have made the shaggy Half-Orc uniquely adept at taunting, and he feels that, with a little luck, his character assassinations against one Gunkhuk may cause his target to abandon any thoughts of gathering reinforcements.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by AleBelly »

Will give Bluehorse another few hours to post...regardless I'll move this along tonight folks!

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Bluehorse »

Kablambicus

Grumps. "Confound it, bird... what is taking so long?" seeing nothing else he can do without a risk of harming his companions, he presses his ear to the door to see if he can decern anything from the other side like an owl being eaten.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by AleBelly »

Die roller appears to be down, so I'm making them at home.

Yenny pulls a flask of greek fire from her satchel and lights a wick protruding from the clay jar. She moves forward and tries to throw it just past the corner...

DM rolls dice for direction flask misses

but it clips the wall next to Dandelion! Greenish flame licks up the side of the wall. Smoke rises from fresh welts on the half-orc beauty queen's shoulders, but she hardly seems to notice. -2 hp for Dandelion. The flame distracts her enough to reduce the force of her strike, and her full-orc opponent is able to turn her trident away with its shield. Angus is also distracted by the sight and smell of the flame and his half-hearted slash finds naught but air.

The orcs do not like the flame. One of the orcs stumbles as its sword strikes the wall...and the other orc in the front line impales it with its spear, killing one of its own! Orc fumble.

Snarls come from the back as Hyde's taunt comparing the orcs' fighting ability to that of a kobold seems to hit a nerve.

Yet despite the orcs' pride the sounds of retreat are heard. "Fall back!" comes the commanding orc voice from the hallway.

Meanwhile, Galan and Figgis watch the proceedings from down the hallway. Kablamicus listens at the door, and seems to feel a stab of pain...see private forum Bluehorse

Actions?
030118.png
030118.png (1014.14 KiB) Viewed 340 times
Time: 6:43
Known Spells in Effect: Kablamicus Shield through 6:45, Bless through 6:47 (Kablamicus, Yenny, Figgis, Galan, Sophomore), Orc held through 6:51
Light bearers: Yenny's bracelet, Angus' bullseye lantern through 10:15, Hyde's torch through 7:15
Injuries: Yenny, Angus barely wounded; Hyde, Kablamicus, Dandelion lightly wounded; Galan, Figgis moderately wounded

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#132 Post by enn.in.me »

"Ooh, Dandelion--I'm terribly sorry about that. I hope I haven't damaged your outfit! Or your hair... Hmm."

Assuming the others chase the orcs, Yenny follows along behind and, upon reaching the corner to the mushroom room, tosses another flaming flask as for east down the hall towards/past the group of orcs as she can. If she can't reach the mushroom room, she'll hold her action.

Initiative [1d6] = 6
Throw roll (with Bless) [1d20+2] = 6+2 = 8

Damn she's dangerous--just not to the enemy!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by onlyme »

Something lit a fire under Dandelion as she gets off an elegant pirouette with a finishing stab.
Trident (17) [1d20+5] = 16+5 = 21; dam S-M [1d6+6] = 3+6 = 9; crit [1d100] = 12; init [1d6] = 4

She immediately pulls and performs another.
Trident (17) [1d20+5] = 19+5 = 24; dam S-M [1d6+6] = 2+6 = 8; crit [1d100] = 56; init [1d6] = 3
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by tkrexx »

AAAAA! FIRE! Hyde quickly attempts to put his own surprise to good use. Hah! All I gotta do is fart, and ya'll burn and run away! Wait 'til ya get aload of my breath!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Zhym »

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by AleBelly »

Upon orders to retreat, the orcs fall back, but not before Dandelion skewers yet another orc to death with her trident.

Since nobody mentioned chasing the orcs, I'll have the party follow Angus' desire to not turn the corner and open themselves to missile fire.

Five dead orcs lie in permanent repose at the feet of Angus and Dandelion. The mighty warriors show little sign of injury. Another stands, frozen in place, surely with a dim view of his fate.

The orc voices fade, clearly having retreated past the mushroom chamber.

Kablamicus, Figgis, and Galan remain in the northern passage and hold the door shut, ensuring that the snake cannot exit its current room. The pounding against the door eventually stops.

Actions?

Time: 6:44
Injuries: Yenny, Angus barely wounded; Hyde, Kablamicus, Dandelion lightly wounded; Galan, Figgis moderately wounded

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde closely examines the frozen Orc. Very closely. Why he would want to memorize every detail of the ghastly creature is anyone's guess. Finally he locks eyes with the Orc. Ya want me to kill 'im, hah?

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#140 Post by enn.in.me »

« Anything else seems just cruel. Go ahead. » Yenny, stopped from foolishness by Angus, nearly runs into the front crowd. Hearing the yelp from Kablamicus, she turns and jogs back up the hall towards the other door.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”