It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:40 am 
Online
Strider
Strider

Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:51 pm
Posts: 49
Zo nods. If no one else is watching the hole: I will be vigilant. He will back up 40' and keep his eyes on the hole, thinking to cast his spell if a group emerges. If others are guarding the hole: He will help move bodies.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:35 pm 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:28 pm
Posts: 427
Lucas agrees with Tempus regarding waiting for another patrol, and thanks him for the healing. He pats Azor on the head.

"I don't see well in this darkness. Zo, I think it's good that you keep watch. I'll help move the bodies."

He will help the others move the bodies into the woods.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:05 am 
Online
Strider
Strider

Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:51 pm
Posts: 49
Zo watches the hole. How close are the nearest trees to the hole? Any vines hanging down?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:58 pm 
Offline
Scout
Scout

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:54 pm
Posts: 82
Lumenor climbs down from his sentry point and assists with moving the bodies away from and upwind from the cave opening. He examines the bodies for any armaments, crude or otherwise. As they work to clear the area, the elf is concerned that this ambush point may be compromised.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:44 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8167
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Zo watches over the dark hole as the other three drag bodies to the perimeter. The clearing, which extends approximately 40' outward from the hole, is quiet. The party continues to watch the entrance. Well, three of them do. The moon sets and despite the clear sky and stars, Lucas has a difficult time seeing.

Lumenor inspects the bodies carefully. The skin of these creatures is quite hard. It's not made of rock by any means, but is as tough as fingernails. The color of their skin is quite similar to that of the rock commonly found underground - grey. They likely would blend in well against their subterranean surroundings.

They are essentially unclothed except for loincloths (all creatures are male). The belts are made of woven plant material, and the pouches are leather but show significant age. They look to have been scavenged rather than made. Their weapons are all quite similar - stone axes made by flaking rock to a sharp point. These are crude and may offer some insight into the sophistication of these creatures.

Image

It is now midway between dusk and dawn, and no signs of more issuing forth from the hole.

Will the party encamp for the night? Continue to shiver against the cold? Continue their vigilant watch (if so, how far should I extend action?)

Date: 3 Grasses (April), Year 44
Time: 00:30, about 5 hours before first daylight
Conditions: 39F, 9 mph breeze from the southeast
Known Spells in Effect: None
Light bearers: waxing fingernail crescent moon
Injury status: Tempus barely wounded, Lucas lightly wounded


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:32 pm 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:28 pm
Posts: 427
Lucas shivers. "M-m-man, i-i-it w-w-w-wasn't this c-c-c-cold at h-h-home" he complains. He pulls a torch from his backpack and lights it, hoping to harvest some of its warmth.

He stops shivering enough to say "if they are nocturnal, we should be nocturnal." The boy waits for dawn, and/or the input of others.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:09 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:49 am
Posts: 3488
Tempus moves further from the hole and begins gathering some wood for a small fire once he is some 100 feet from the burrow, going that will be enough to get some rest without tipping off the nightmen that the companions are around.

He will look out for a mole or a rat or mouse or some other nocturnal creature that he could bewitch and ask to head into the burrow and look around for him before he settles in next to Clarence and Azor to sleep.

If no more nightmen patrols appear tonight and he gets his rest, he will memorise Protection from fire instead of stone shape, and Cure Light Wounds x4 instead of charm person or mammal and warp wood, and keep his first level spells the same.

_________________
Saracen Solaris - 2nd/3rd level half-orc fighter/cleric of Pholtus, Lord of Light. Big Shiny Island
Tempus Werefoot - 4th level Halfling Druid Lone City in the Wildland
Jamal Al Asir - 4th level hairfoot halfling Sha'ir Al-qadim 12+1 adventures
Phoenix the Chromatic - 1st level gnome illusionist Minn's Mound adventure
Storm Briarfoot - 1st level Halfling Druid Aspirant Big Shiny Island


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:48 pm 
Offline
Scout
Scout

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:54 pm
Posts: 82
As the others make camp, Lumenor collects a few branches that may serve as arrow shafts. "I'll take first watch." he announces, then adds, "Which of you will take the next?" After this, the elf positions himself with his back against a large tree, maintaining a vigil against any who may threaten the camp while the others rest. He begins whittling the wood with a small blade.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:20 am 
Online
Strider
Strider

Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:51 pm
Posts: 49
Zo: I'll take second watch. (he leaves over watching the hole to Lumenor). He will sit close to the fire to keep warm.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:04 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8167
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Tempus builds a fire with the young Lucas' help, about 60' away from the edge of the clearing. The halfling and human settle down with Zo and the animals while Lumenor keeps first watch. Four hours later, a bleary-eyed Lumenor wakes Zo for second watch. The elf falls asleep nearly instantly.

Zo, please check your private forum.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:00 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8167
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
DM rolls dice

Tempus is woken with a hand over his mouth. Panic quickly subsides as he sees Zo's thin, handsome face reflecting the firelight. "Shhhhh" he whispers. "Many nightmen are coming from the hole."

As if on cue, a savage and anguished howl comes from the direction of the hole. Perhaps the nightmen have discovered the bodies of their companions? Regardless, the scream wakes Azor, who begins barking ferociously (and loudly) in response.

The howls and snarls grow quiet. Zo is able to tell the others he suspects at least 7 or 8 are on their way. Maybe more?

Actions? We will consider the campfire to still be roaring, so it puts off light 60' in all directions. This enables the party to see just to the edge of the clearing. Missile fire over 40' will be at -2 due to dense woods.

All party members are awake due to Azor's barking.


Date: 3 Grasses (April), Year 44
Time: 04:40, about 50 minutes before first daylight
Conditions: 36F, 9 mph breeze from the southeast
Known Spells in Effect: None
Light bearers: Campfire, 60' in all directions
Injury status: Tempus barely wounded, Lucas lightly wounded


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:40 pm 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:28 pm
Posts: 427
Lucas considers putting on his armor, but doesn't think he'll have the time. Instead, he gets his spear ready and sets it against a charge of a nightman.

Init [1d6]: 5
To hit [1d20]: 7
Crit: [1d100]: 64
Damage [2d6+1]: 10+1 = 11


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:38 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:49 am
Posts: 3488
Tempus will quickly gather his sling and his bag of bullets, retrieving sword and shield as well. He will take cover behind a trunk and call Clarence and Azor to heel and be quiet.

As soon as he clearly sees a nightman approach he will fire off a sling bullet. [1d6] = 2 : [1d20+5] = 5+5 = 10 : [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2 : [1d100] = 80

The little Druid will hold off the animals until the nightmen are closer.

_________________
Saracen Solaris - 2nd/3rd level half-orc fighter/cleric of Pholtus, Lord of Light. Big Shiny Island
Tempus Werefoot - 4th level Halfling Druid Lone City in the Wildland
Jamal Al Asir - 4th level hairfoot halfling Sha'ir Al-qadim 12+1 adventures
Phoenix the Chromatic - 1st level gnome illusionist Minn's Mound adventure
Storm Briarfoot - 1st level Halfling Druid Aspirant Big Shiny Island


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:44 am 
Offline
Scout
Scout

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:54 pm
Posts: 82
Lumenor snatches up his bow and quiver, then once again searches for the high ground. Despite being fairly competent with a long blade, the elf has no desire to engage so many of these opponents in melee combat. The moment he sees one of the creatures, he fires off a pair of arrows.
Roll made with no bonus as the weapon was not in hand at the start of the round.
:shock: Spot on, despite the range penalty which I forgot to account for on the rolls.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:58 am 
Online
Strider
Strider

Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:51 pm
Posts: 49
Zo: (to Tempus) I hope you have another spell to make the underbrush entrap them. (to all) I will attempt to put a few into a state of sleep. We will have to end them soon as the spell won't last long.. When the night-men 1st appear, Zo hopes they will be close together and will cast sleep at a knot of them (40' range, 15' radius AOE) sleep [2d4] = 5


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:14 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8167
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Hi folks,

The PCs' enemies are close enough that they will be able to attack this round. This has two implications:

Storm11, you may want to make attack rolls for your animal companions.

Zeromancer, your elf is being roused in this same round. He can either fire off two shots or climb a tree to safety, but not both. Please let me know which he will do.

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:49 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:49 am
Posts: 3488
As the nightmen close the distance to Melee range Azor steps out in front of his master and bites at the first creature to approach, barking and growling as it closes.

[1d20] = 18 : [2d4] = 5

Clarence stands on his hind legs and roars a bears challenge, as the next such creature approaches. He takes some half hearted swipes at the nightman as it closes.

[1d20] = 4 : [1d3] = 2 : [1d20] = 1 : [1d3] = 3 : [1d20] = 10 : [1d6] = 1

_________________
Saracen Solaris - 2nd/3rd level half-orc fighter/cleric of Pholtus, Lord of Light. Big Shiny Island
Tempus Werefoot - 4th level Halfling Druid Lone City in the Wildland
Jamal Al Asir - 4th level hairfoot halfling Sha'ir Al-qadim 12+1 adventures
Phoenix the Chromatic - 1st level gnome illusionist Minn's Mound adventure
Storm Briarfoot - 1st level Halfling Druid Aspirant Big Shiny Island


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:22 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8167
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
The nightmen crash through the woods towards the barking Azor. Tempus hushes him, but the game is up. The sightless humanoids grunt deeply and continuously to one another as they advance on the party in a primitive form of communication.

Lumenor, bow drawn, fires an arrow at a beefy nightman then climbs 10' to a perch in a sturdy tree. The arrow nicks the neck of its target as it whizzes by. A trickle of blood traces down the muscular fibers of its neck as it turns its head towards the elf, discerning his position by the whine of the arrow. He doesn't appear seriously wounded as he strides towards Lumenor.

Zo produces a pinch of sand from his belt pouch, watching his grunting foes approach nervously. The elf waits for the right moment to trigger his dweomer.

Lucas, unprotected by armor, sets his spear against a potential charge.

Tempus loads a bullet into his sling and fires it at an oncoming foe. It hears the projectile and dodges as the missile thwacks off a tree behind it. And then the battle is joined.

Targets randomly assigned

Clarence is set upon first. The quick humanoid finds a weakness in the bear's flank and drives its primitive stone axe into flesh. The bear howls in pain and frustration as its counterattack misses completely. -5 hp!

Tempus' sling target runs towards the druid. It bears down on the halfling and punctures his leather armor with a stone axe, bruising and cutting him! -6 hp!

Azor, well trained in fighting, dodges his assailant's attack then rips a chunk of flesh out of its thigh. The grunt turns to a howl as it's moderately injured.

A group of five breaks just behind the first wave, grunting. Three head towards Lucas, who looks on nervously. Another comes towards Zo and another towards the bleeding Clarence. The handsome elf yells "Somnulus!" in a commanding voice, and the five fall silent as they tumble to the ground.

The volume of grunts has now fallen sharply. Lucas stands from his position and pushes his spear point into the throat of a slumbering enemy, killing it.

Four more nightmen appear at the edge of the clearing...

DM rolls dice

...but the confident grunts turn higher in pitch. The four nightmen that newly appear turn and flee back towards their hole.

Those engaged in melee begin a fighting retreat.

They can retreat at 10' and fight normally, which they look set to do. Otherwise you can let them flee.

Four nightmen slumber...though they won't be for long.

Actions?

Date: 3 Grasses (April), Year 44
Time: 04:41, about 50 minutes before first daylight
Conditions: 36F, 9 mph breeze from the southeast
Known Spells in Effect: 4 nightmen sleeping through 4:45
Light bearers: Campfire, 60' in all directions
Injury status: Tempus, Lucas lightly wounded, Lucas lightly wounded, Clarence moderately wounded


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:49 am
Posts: 3488
Tempus slings again the nightman retreating away from him in a panic.

[1d6] = 1 : [1d20+5] = 2+5 = 7 : [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2 : [1d100] = 57

Clarence, unhappy with his injury, swats out at the creature in front of him.

[1d20] = 6 : [1d3] = 2 : [1d20] = 2 : [1d3] = 3 : [1d20] = 12 : [1d6] = 6

Azor continues in a blood fury to attack the one he injured.

[1d20] = 1 : [2d4] = 4

once again consistently the worst combat roller in all the land.

_________________
Saracen Solaris - 2nd/3rd level half-orc fighter/cleric of Pholtus, Lord of Light. Big Shiny Island
Tempus Werefoot - 4th level Halfling Druid Lone City in the Wildland
Jamal Al Asir - 4th level hairfoot halfling Sha'ir Al-qadim 12+1 adventures
Phoenix the Chromatic - 1st level gnome illusionist Minn's Mound adventure
Storm Briarfoot - 1st level Halfling Druid Aspirant Big Shiny Island


Last edited by Storm11 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:06 pm 
Online
Strider
Strider

Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:51 pm
Posts: 49
(is that 4 sleeping or 5?)
If Zo can get to the closest sleeping night-man without getting in the way of an awake one retreating, he will use his short sword to slay it. We don't have much time. Lucas, come on! Lumenor, we need your sword!


Last edited by scottjen on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: scottjen and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group