Chapter 16 - Tempus' recruiting drive

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 16 - Tempus' recruiting drive

#21 Post by AleBelly »

OK, looks like we're ready to go. Please let me know what spells your PC is memorizing (here or in private forum), or have it ready on your character sheets. I'll post an update later today...

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Storm11 »

character sheet updated
Greys Campaign.

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#23 Post by Zeromancer »

Lumenor rises with a slight sigh and joins the others outside. He wishes that they had spent more time planning their approach, though he surmises that perhaps that can be done on the way.

"How many days' travel is the cavern from here, friend druid?" he asks as he wraps his cloak about him, and secures its pewter clasp.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by scottjen »

"Days travel?" Zo says in common looking a little nervous.
(OOC: I can't believe I forgot to get food when I was getting sword & armor.)

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus clears his throat. It is but a days travel from here!”
Greys Campaign.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by scottjen »

Zo: "Is there game to hunt between here & there? Berries and nuts to be found?"

(If not, Zo will purchase something to eat & drink as they leave. Let me know how much $ to deduct, assuming I can afford anything.)

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#27 Post by Zeromancer »

Lumenor nods in response to the druid and begins checking his bow for any damage that may impede its effectiveness. He then glances over at his fellow elf who had posed a query of his own.

"I'm afraid this isn't the season for berries and nuts, though I did spot a variety of game along my route to the city a couple of days ago. Nevertheless, it would be wise to carry a few preserved rations, despite the exorbitant cost." he advises.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by AleBelly »

And with that, the party is off. Lumenor laments that the party hasn't prepared a plan of attack, but the druid has a trick up his sleeve...

The party follows a path along the river heading north from town, reaching the border of the 'safe zone' in a couple of hours. Tempus, distinguishable as the halfling riding a black bear, draws cheers from some of the farmers out doing spring chores under the clear sky. From here, the going is slower as the party works their way through dense forest, heading due north towards the 'night men.'

After 5 more miles, Lucas observes tracks - humanoid tracks. Tempus reckons they must be close, and indeed before long they come upon a very small clearing...and the muddy hole the druid and his bear Clarence ventured into just a week ago.

Moments later, a bird, tweeting excitedly, flies down off a branch and lands on Tempus' outstreched hand. It seems to be very happy to see him...and trying to tell him something?

Actions?

scottjen, Zo's 8 sp would buy him two days' worth of standard rations. Feel free to mark your sheet. Others of you who have recently bought rations feel free to retroactively use the new prices for those purchases - 5 gp/week for iron rations and 3 gp/week for standard.

Date: 2 Grasses (April), Year 44
Time: 17:07, about 2 hours before sunset
Conditions: 51F, clear
Known Spells in Effect: None
Light bearers: sun
Intended Direction of Travel: 0 degree bearing (due north) 11 miles away, traveled 11 miles today

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus greets the little bird warmly with a soft stroke of its head and casts Speak With Animals.

Greetings little one, how have you been? What news of the nightmen in their burrow? Have you seen another entrance into their nest?
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by AleBelly »

The bird flits excitedly from Tempus' small hand to his shoulder and back, emitting garbled whistles.

I'm so happy to see you again, friend! We are doing well! Fine spring weather, no?

I did as you asked! Watched that hole. They come out after sunset. Two pair or three pair. Drag dead animals back in hole. Noisy. Yes they are! I did good, friend? Don't always exit the same way.

The bird keeps a watchful eye on Azor (Tempus' dog), obviously fearful of the canine.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Storm11 »

”You did SO well my friend. Could you show me where the other exits are to the hole please, we don’t need to get too close to them, just where they are would be great”. Tempus asks gently, grasping some bread crumbs and some fruit seeds from his rations and feeding them to the bird.

”Azor, STAY! Good boy!”
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by AleBelly »

Oh, sorry my friend if I misled you! garbles the bird. I meant they go in different directions after leaving the hole. I've never seen them come in or out from anywhere else in the ground.

Living underground, can you imagine anything so silly?
titters the bird.

Others in the group should assume that Tempus is translating what the bird is saying to them, so feel free to join the conversation.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Storm11 »

Ah, I apologise, I misunderstood. So they split off into small groups do they? Well that’s very useful to know. How many of them did you say, into twos or threes only?

Tempus relays all this to the elves and the human.
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by AleBelly »

Two or three pairs. I think that's four or six! They travel in flocks. I don't think they split. But I don't follow them!

The bird hops to Tempus' shoulder and peers into the druid's eyes, hoping to have made him happy.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus pats and strokes the bird gently, smiling. You have done extremely well my friend. What’s your name? I am very pleased. Would you confirm to watch the nightmen for us, and if they change their routine for any reason other than you have already observed will you let me know?”
Greys Campaign.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#36 Post by scottjen »

We should have plenty of time before nightfall. Looks into hole (how steep is it, can he see the bottom? If so, how far?)

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#37 Post by Zeromancer »

Lumenor quietly takes in the information relayed to the group by the halfling. He was intrigued by the magic which enabled the druid to achieve this high level of communication. The elf had heard stories of this unique ability before, though this was the first time he had witnessed it for himself.

"We have to assume that even when a group departs the hideout, more remain inside as sentries. They would not be so foolish as to leave this place unguarded." the elf commented in common, then continued, "I surmise that our best option would be to neutralize the patrol before delving into the cavern. We do not want our escape route, should one be necessary, to be suddenly cut off."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus nods in agreement with this. ”It is a good plan to take out the patrols on their own first, whatever numbers we can tackle without the whole community will make taking on the burrow all the easier!”
Greys Campaign.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#39 Post by scottjen »

What is the terrain look like where we are?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by AleBelly »

The newcomers take a closer look at the hole in the ground.

It's about 8' wide and 3' high, and descends at such a pitch that larger figures would have no trouble coming and going.

The grass is well tamped down around the area, suggesting traffic. Tempus knows this is the hallmark of the 'night-men.' Lucas sees tracks heading in all directions, able to pick out that the footprints (bare feet) are about the size of a human, though different in shape.

Picture:
Hole.png
The party seems to settle on a plan of waiting for the creatures to emerge, then attack them. It's about two hours until sunset, so they have time to come up with a plan...

For the new players, Lucas is actually played by my son. I usually communicate things verbally to him then type in his responses. I'm traveling this week so his participation will be reduced somewhat. But he gave me general instructions on what his player wants to do.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”