It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:48 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:04 am
Posts: 1187
"Surprise! Boo!" yells Yenny, as she shines the light up into the ceiling, looking suspiciously at the stalactites. "We're here..."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:03 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 13977
"Ain't much trusting of stalagtights." says Angus, looking skeptically at the ceiling. "Or are they stalacmites? Which is the one what pokes down? Anyhow, the big hanging poky things look too big and...poky. Best stay out from under them."

He turns to Figgis and Galan. "Y'all want to do your scouting and trap-hunting thing again?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:09 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 am
Posts: 5782
Location: Middle of Carolinas
Dandelion takes care not to touch them.

_________________
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Geoffrey Blood - male pirate from Briton (Pirates:Cannon and Dragons) 1e homebrew
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Junius - male dwarf pincushion (Dave's Mega-dungeon) LL
Manoah Lasley - male ranger of royal blood (A New Hope in the West) OSRIC
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:30 pm 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 am
Posts: 1756
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Kablamicus

Clears his throat. "Stalagtites. Just remember they are the ones holding on tightly to the ceiling. How securely, though? Anyone's guess. Let us check the ajar portal first."

_________________
Brett
~A.K.A. Bluehorse




Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:28 pm 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:28 pm
Posts: 394
"Well, if these stalactites aren't holding on very tight, you're going to have a big advantage" says Chet to Yenny.

"I think if a stalactite falls on one of the party it would impale them and not you." He seems very proud of his vocabulary. "Someone just taught me what impale means yesterday."

Picking up Angus' suggestion, he announces to the group: "I'll check the ground for traps between here and the open door. Please give me cover from the stalactites if you would."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:40 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 3358
Location: Midwest
Wait, Hyde suggests, and spends a moment or 2 rifling thru his satchel. He finally produces a torch, and firing it with flint, tosses it the length of the room, eyeing the spiky outcroppings from above.

1 torch marked off.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:53 pm 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 am
Posts: 1756
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Kablamicus

Waits patiently just inside the door and studies the room.

_________________
Brett
~A.K.A. Bluehorse




Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:12 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 7989
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Hyde pulls a torch from his pack and lights it, throwing it into the west end of the room. It lands, bounces...

Torch saving throw (3) [1d20] = 12

...and continues to burn. The room, now fully illuminated, is quite bare. A few large stones lie scattered about, but otherwise no movement or signs of life are detected.

The party warily looks at the ceiling, Yenny calling out a warning in a most Yenny-like fashion. Others debate the nomenclature of the pointy spikes hanging down.

Undaunted, Chet, Figgis, and Galan look for loose stones or other traps along the path heading north.

DM rolls dice

They slowly and methodically make their way north, finding nothing yet, when suddenly a soft *pop* is heard coming from above. The remainder of the party, waiting patiently, calls out as a stalactite, 3' long, releases 15' above.

It falls directly towards

Target Chet (1) Galan (2) Figgis (3) [1d3] = 2

Galan.

Attack Galan [1d20] = 18 crit [1d100] = 35
Damage to Galan [2d6] = 3

The deft gnome moves quickly, but the spike still manages to scrape along his torso and cracks to the ground, falling on its side. Long, strange filaments pop out of the rock-like object...it appears to be trying to move!

I'll reduce the usual surprise chance since the party was actively looking for the spikes to fall, but the scouts were also occupied with searching for traps.

Surprised? 1-3 yes [1d6] = 4

Since they weren't surprised, Chet, Galan, and Figgis will get a free attack on the spike if they so desire, in addition to another action this round.

Actions? If it helps, there appear to be about 4 spikes hanging from the ceiling for every 10'x10' section of ceiling. The map below shows the position of the scouts and the remainder of the party.


Attachment:
StrodNov9.png
StrodNov9.png [ 1015 KiB | Viewed 90 times ]


Date: 25 Culling, Year 44
Time: 07:39
Conditions: 44F, damp
Known Spells in Effect: None
Light bearers: Yenny's light, Hyde's torch burning in west end of room until 08:37.
Intended Direction of Travel: towards northeast door
Injury Status: Galan lightly wounded


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:32 pm 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 am
Posts: 1756
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Kablamicus

Watching what happens and observing the rock he makes an expert comment on the situation. "Eww..." Then, his opinion vocalized and therefore fully satisfied, his analitical mind kicks in as she examines the creature and its movements, thinking back to his extensive studies within the happy musty confines of the guild, trying to see if he remembers any description of such a creature and what knowledge he may have about it which can be exploited.

_________________
Brett
~A.K.A. Bluehorse




Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:01 pm 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:04 am
Posts: 1187
While Kablamicus pontificates, Yenny looks towards the nearest spike and throws a hammer in a surprisingly direct line at it:

Initiative [1d6] = 5, flail [1d20] = 19, damage [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7, crit [1d100] = 94

"C'mon down where I can reach you!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:04 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 3358
Location: Midwest
Fallow the direct path! Hyde grumbles, Nothin' fell where the torch went, fallow that line, yeahh.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:53 pm 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:28 pm
Posts: 394
Chet kicks and punches at the hairy stony thing.

Free attack:
To hit: [1d20] = 12, crit [1d100] = 90 damage [1d6] = 4

Next attack:
init [1d6] = 5, to hit [1d20] = 5, crit [1d100] = 78, damage [1d6] = 4


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:57 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 7:40 pm
Posts: 2679
Galan hacks at the weird thing.

[1d20] = 15 to hit [1d6] = 6 damage

_________________
Lauranna, T4/MU3, A New Hope to the West
Mathias, C3, A Village With No Name
Raphael, Gang Banger, Mechanic, Price of Freedom
Barnhardt,%20B1,%20Brave%20New%20World
Lord Edwardo Muscha, In the Marches, Traveller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:01 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 7989
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Nuke66 wrote:
Galan hacks at the weird thing.

[1d20] = 15 to hit [1d6] = 6 damage


You also get another attack this round.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:30 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 13977
Angus, one eye to the stala—stone hanging things above, steps in to do battle with the stone thing that just fell.

Leddilir (THAC0 17): [1d20] = 8 [1d8+2] = 1+2 = 3/[1d12+2] = 9+2 = 11 (SM/L), Crit: [1d100] = 80


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:58 am 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:30 pm
Posts: 252
Thinking the others have the critter well in hand, Figgis turns away and approaches the open door with weapons in hand.

Is there light beyond the door?

With a stealthy stride, the ugly dwarf slips across and placed his back gingerly against the door, leaning to the edge of the door. He's expecting trouble despite his fervent hope there won't be.

Does he hear anything?

If he doesn't hear anything, Figgis will take a peek around the door.

_________________
My humble blog: https://thegelatinouscube.net


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:00 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 7:40 pm
Posts: 2679
Galan hacks again.

[1d20] = 7 to hit [1d6] = 3 damage

_________________
Lauranna, T4/MU3, A New Hope to the West
Mathias, C3, A Village With No Name
Raphael, Gang Banger, Mechanic, Price of Freedom
Barnhardt,%20B1,%20Brave%20New%20World
Lord Edwardo Muscha, In the Marches, Traveller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:08 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 am
Posts: 5782
Location: Middle of Carolinas
Dandelion will dance toward the falling disco balls, and will attempt to pierce one before they crush anyone else.
Trident [1d20+3] = 15+3 = 18; dam S-M [1d6+6] = 4+6 = 10; crit [1d100] = 52; init [1d6] = 5

_________________
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Geoffrey Blood - male pirate from Briton (Pirates:Cannon and Dragons) 1e homebrew
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Junius - male dwarf pincushion (Dave's Mega-dungeon) LL
Manoah Lasley - male ranger of royal blood (A New Hope in the West) OSRIC
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:42 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 7989
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
The party jumps to action. Hyde calls to the others to follow his torch – nothing fell there. As if to mock him, a spike falls from the ceiling above the torch. Its light is extinguished.

Attack torch [1d20] = 18 crit [1d100] = 56

The party assaults the stone spike that drew Galan’s blood. The robed gnome himself stabs at the strange creature, but its hard exterior turns away Galan’s blade. It finally takes Dandelion’s trident, driven by the beautiful half-orc’s considerable strength, to end its movement. A shrill squeak echoes throughout the room, and thick blood oozes from its wound. It is ‘dead.’

Figgis, seeing the others have the situation in hand, creeps forward with short sword and dagger ready. With one eye into the ceiling, he peeks into the room. It is dark, so he can’t see much. Just then, two more spikes descend on the dwarf

Attack Figgis [1d20] = 1 crit [1d100] = 98

Attack Figgis [1d20] = 5 crit [1d100] = 22

but he sees them coming and dodges them both rather easily.

Attachment:
20171119.png
20171119.png [ 362.71 KiB | Viewed 7 times ]


Figgis gets a free attack against one of them, plus whatever he wants to do this round.

Yenny pulls a hammer, once a goblin weapon, from her pack and hurls it at a nearby stalactite. A verbal assault complements the physical attack. It’s a direct hit, shattering it into several pieces that fall harmlessly to the ground. It appears to have really just been rock.

Kablambicus watches the events with interest, trying to remember if he has heard of such things. Nothing of the magical arts comes to mind.

Actions?

Attachment:
20171119b.png
20171119b.png [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 7 times ]


Date: 25 Culling, Year 44
Time: 07:40
Conditions: 44F, damp
Known Spells in Effect: None
Light bearers: Yenny's light
Intended Direction of Travel: towards northeast door
Injury Status: Galan lightly wounded


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:33 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 am
Posts: 5782
Location: Middle of Carolinas
Dandelion suffers from the reverberation of hitting the stone monster previously, and it affects her next attempt.
Trident [1d20+3] = 4+3 = 7; dam S-M [1d6+6] = 4+6 = 10; crit [1d100] = 61; init [1d6] = 6

_________________
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Geoffrey Blood - male pirate from Briton (Pirates:Cannon and Dragons) 1e homebrew
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Junius - male dwarf pincushion (Dave's Mega-dungeon) LL
Manoah Lasley - male ranger of royal blood (A New Hope in the West) OSRIC
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group