It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:01 pm 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Hyde sighs heavily, and finally lays down his arms. These here ain't toys, no, don't be playin' with 'em, hah?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:44 am 
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Chet looks a bit nervous, but seeing the others laying down their arms leads him to do the same.

I still have my fists anyway he thinks to himself.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:17 am 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Dandelion likewise gently lays her trident down along with her other armaments.
She feels under dressed, much like wearing a necklace without the accompanied earrings.

Junius - male dwarf pincushion (Dave's Mega-dungeon) LL
Manoah Lasley - male ranger of royal blood (A New Hope in the West) OSRIC
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:55 pm 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

However reluctantly, the party lay down their arms and spell materiel. The courtiers promise to look after them well. One seems particularly impressed by Angus' sword, but decorum prevents him from commenting.

They are led into the king's throne room. It is, well, fit for a king. It is a large expanse, with high arched ceilings. A roaring fire throws light off the orange brick walls.

King Casmir is old, perhaps in his 80s, but still appears strong. He fills the chair comfortably, as if he has occupied the throne - uninterrupted - for decades. He holds his ceremonial sword in front of him.

He speaks in a velvety, baritone voice. "Greetings. I was sure I would never have the pleasure of acknowledging your role in restoring me to my throne. Two years in the wilderness, and yet you return unscathed. I should like to hear the story sometime. Perhaps you can relay it to Targus."

His kindly, but unsmiling, visage looks over the party. "But that is not why you are here today. I have discussed with my advisors some way we may acknowledge your contributions to the restoration of Masmuria. One we have done months ago - your friend Hellebore has been released from the dungeon. She has returned to the Frogmorton swamp where she lives with her mother. But this does not benefit you directly."

He pauses again.

"Your souls are those of adventurers. And if you wish to continue to explore what lies outside the bounds of my kingdom, you may do so. If so, I wish you luck. But I extend to each and every one of you the title of Protectors of the Crown. The kingdom wishes to invest in your further development in the practice of your craft, be it fighting, the arcane arts, or more spiritual matters. We do not wish to train assassins, though I waste my breath in this utterance I'm sure. None of you seem murderers for hire."

He gauges the individual reactions.

"The caveat is, of course, that you will be in service to the crown. As we reestablish our rightful place in the world, we will encounter nuisances, significant threats, and perhaps even existential threats. Your unique skills qualify you above many others to counter these obstacles. So, in short, if you wish to be Protectors, we will have missions for you from time to time, and you will be obligated to perform them. In return, we feed you, develop you, and raise your places within our society."

"It would be unreasonable for me to expect a response now. My courtiers will receive your response when you decide. But first, have you any questions?"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:14 pm 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Your royal highness, Tempus steps forward, bowing low, his blonde dreadlocks brushing the floor as he does so, I would first get the measure of you, having never heard of you before, you understand. How are your policies and edicts protecting the natural world around us, what have you to say on topics such as logging and hunting, and fishing. How do those who work for you go about farming and tending to the sacred forests in the kingdom? I warn you plainly that these things are under my protection, and if you treat them all poorly we will, unfortunately, be enemies. My order does not tolerate excessive disregard and abuse from human depredations, and I could never serve someone who does so wantonly. I am a Druid of the order, now and forever first. It is fair I should warn you this before you extend your offer officially, so that I will know you, and you will know me.

He bows again and stands back to hear the old man's reply.

Phoenix the Chromatic - 1st level gnome illusionist Minn's Mound adventure

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:20 am 
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

curious what thoughts, if any, Yenny would have heard in yesterday's gossip session at the church.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:22 am 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Dandelion looks around and finally aloud the obvious question everyone else has been thinking.

What would we wear? A uniform?

Junius - male dwarf pincushion (Dave's Mega-dungeon) LL
Manoah Lasley - male ranger of royal blood (A New Hope in the West) OSRIC
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:44 am 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Angus, somewhat noted for having a problem with authority, scratches the underside of his beard.

"It's a mighty gracious offer," he drawls, "and I'll sure give it a ponder. But what if we got a problem with one of your missions? Would we be able to leave your service without a hubbub? And would we be serving the crown, or you personally? Begging your pardon, but those ain't always been the same. And if I decline to become 'Protector of the Crown,' would you still let me go on those missions as what I think are worthy? I don't reckon 'Freelance Protector of the Crown' is a thing, is it?" Anugs grins.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:47 pm 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Hyde keeps quiet and toward the rear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7