Chapter 13 - Azurpenia's Prison

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 13 - Azurpenia's Prison

#481 Post by AleBelly »

enn.in.me wrote:Yenny, to Chronia, as she looks around for indications of her condition, "We seem to have come like curious cats and have perhaps wandered into the dogyard. You have been cursed with ripped time and we with sundered brains, I think. Perhaps we can help while we live. Although I do enjoy seeing our dear Angus blush so. Oh, and Chet too. I could temporarily put us in the dark if that would help anything."
"You speak beautifully, my small friend. Yes, I am cursed with 'ripped' time as you say...though it is far more accurate to say I am cursed by the absence of time. I hope you will not dim the lights - I enjoy seeing those I converse with" smiles Chronia. She is truly beautiful to those that would look at her.
Zhym wrote:"So you'd be needing some of them 'timeless fashions?'" asks Angus. "If anyone knows where to find them, it'd be Dandelion here."

"Meanwhile, I reckon we can't go this way and we ain't got any way to help you, so we'd best be moseying on. I do hope we can come back and help you with your troubles, ma'am." He reluctantly turns back to see what the others have gotten up to.
Chronia giggles. "Timeless fashion. Yes. I'm afraid that after being down here for thousands of years, I forget the customs of the world I left. The ancient Saurids - lizard folk - are rumored to be able to make just such a thing. Though I doubt their savage descendants have such skills." She pauses after Angus' second statement. "There are ways small and large to help me. Some are silly - these gold pipes play only low notes. I would long to hear music from light instruments - wood or the like. I miss those high, cheerful notes...but I digress. If I could...touch you...yes, it would cost you a year or two of life. But that is asking too much..." she drops her head and looks away.
CAI4 wrote:Chet asks abruptly "How long have you been down here?!"

He looks to the party members, still not looking at Chronia. He has a confused look on his face. "And what's this about you not aging but the room aging?"
Jernau35 wrote:"Well, I'm still not exactly even sure where here is" says Rufus. "I was outside, running, there was a light, and now I'm here. That's where I'm from. What about you? How did you become affected by your...condition?".
"That is a long story. My sisters and I, many many years ago, were brought into this world by a combination of love and magic - my parents strove for the perfect children. But not without cost. I cannot age, but I warp time. I cannot be harmed, and I fear I cannot die. Eventually, our powers drove kings mad. There were wars. Murders. And many many years after my birth we were banished to this prison. Others are imprisoned here too...but they are not all as nice as me..."

She smiles at Rufus. "And though I remain mainly in this room, I can help you. I have been here a very long time, after all."

Her face lights up with glee as she looks past the party members, who introduce themselves as Arnulf and Sagthistle, and sees Clarence. "Is that a bear?!" she cries with glee. "May I...touch it?"

Meanwhile, in the other room, Tempus hears an unfamiliar voice in the north corridor. Worried about Galan, he sneaks towards the voices. Before he reaches them, he hears the voice address Galan.

DM rolls dice

"Very well. Cower in the corner. Just don't get in our way." Then, Tempus sees three robed figures stride into the main room, looking up at the arch. Galan will see three more enter the room from the north, making six robed men in total. Tempus believes he is unobserved, though it is difficult to tell given the masks. They seem preoccupied with the task at hand. The accented voice speaks through the mask again, slightly muffling it. "Alright, let's get this arch out of here and to the blue dragon lady. And make it quick 'afore this hunger eats out our insides!"

The other robed figures assemble near the two bases of the arch at either side of the room and attempt to lift it from the ground.

Actions?

Date: 16 Culling, Year 42
Time: 20:02
Conditions: 54F, calm, room dark and damp
Known Spells in Effect: Yenny under some sort of hunger enchantment
Light bearers: Lamps in rooms - Angus' lantern has 3.5 hours worth of oil left in it but is unlit.
Intended Direction of Travel:
Injury Status: Chet lightly wounded

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#482 Post by Zhym »

"I'll keep an eye out for wood instruments that play high notes," answers Angus. "If we return, I will bring an instrument with me."

He thinks about the Chronia's other request. Two years of his life for a touch. He thinks about a time he wouldn't have even thought once about that offer, for the right kind of touch from a woman who looked like Chronia.

"Aw, hell," he says. "I reckon it ain't gonna be old age what kills me anyhow. You can touch me if it'll make you happy."

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#483 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny was stepping towards Chronia as Angus deliberates. As he speaks, she looks at him with a bemused grin. "Angus, you are probably correct. I would as happily help this poor being as my years may be in less short supply than yours. However, the opportunity for such a direct sacrifice does not come so often. If it will warm you, please.." and she holds out her arm as if inviting Angus to the Chronia's side. As she does, she catches sight of her own silver arm bands. "These are not much, but would perhaps endure longer than thread. Would you like them?"

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#484 Post by tkrexx »

Hey! Maybe this ain't so smart, hah? Hyde wonders aloud, I mean, we don't know anything about this Woman, and everything in this place be weird. Maybe Angus be aging 200 years, instead of just 2?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#485 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion politely refuses to purposefully age herself, but does find the woman a bit more fascinating.
"So, you have found a secret to keep your skin from aging and showing sun spots? However did you come about it.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#486 Post by Nuke66 »

Galan is a bit taken aback by the response, and simply stands there with a gaping open mouth, not sue what to say.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#487 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus tries to keep out of sight, watching the robed men as they work. Interesting that they too are suffering from this weird hunger. If they can fix it so much the better
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#488 Post by AleBelly »

enn.in.me wrote:Yenny was stepping towards Chronia as Angus deliberates. As he speaks, she looks at him with a bemused grin. "Angus, you are probably correct. I would as happily help this poor being as my years may be in less short supply than yours. However, the opportunity for such a direct sacrifice does not come so often. If it will warm you, please.." and she holds out her arm as if inviting Angus to the Chronia's side. As she does, she catches sight of her own silver arm bands. "These are not much, but would perhaps endure longer than thread. Would you like them?"
Chronia refuses Yenny’s offer with a thin smile. ”Your silver will tarnish. Better you keep it”. Her words call to mind the tarnished tray Tempus took in the other room.
onlyme wrote: "So, you have found a secret to keep your skin from aging and showing sun spots? However did you come about it.
A look of annoyance corrupts Chronia’s beautiful face. ”The grape is always riper in the neighbor’s vineyard. My condition is a curse I was born with, not a boon.

Upon his assent, Chronia beckons Angus towards her. ”I do not wish my condition to affect all of you” she explains. Angus approaches, his boots sinking slightly into the sandy floor with each step. As he draws closer to Chronia, he feels the air grow colder. She closes her eyes as if meditating. ”With effort, I can attenuate this curse…”
Chronia.png
Chronia.png (186.32 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Angus sees wisps of faint vapor leave her mouth as she exhales, reminding the ranger of his own breath on cold winter days.
She opens her beautiful purplish-blue eyes as the ranger draws near. A solitary tear leaves her eye and rolls down her cheek, freezing instantly.
”I am touched by your sacrifice. I am so lonely…” she laments.

She reaches out and strokes the brave ranger’s face with several fingers, letting it linger for a second or two. The cold is intense, far beyond anything Angus has felt before. But somehow it feels different. It is not painful, but rather feels as if it seeks warmth itself. He feels the skin in his face sag ever so slightly, and Chronia withdraws quickly, obviously exerting considerable willpower, with a couple of steps. Please add one year to Angus’ age

She reaches onto a nearby table, removes a tiny, warped glass vessel (misshapen like that found on the silver tray in the adjoining room) from it, and collects her tear. ”My gift to you. When you decide to drink it, think of something that happened in your life you’d like undone. And it will be done. However, the strands of time are fickle – the more complicated the event, the more likely to produce a terrible side effect.” Chronia quickly tosses it to him. Please add to inventory if you take it

Now nearly in the center of the room, Angus takes stock of things. He sees three doors, including the one he entered, in the south wall. These doors he has encountered before, judging from the party’s map. There is another in the east wall. All are ornate. The northwest corner of the room remains dark. Others in the party have time to look around the room. There are warped candles, rotting books, and bricks of semi-precious stone likely worth a few hundred gold each. Only Angus can see at her feet what looks like a hairy stegosaurus. It is black and the size of a large dog. It lies motionless.

Meanwhile, in the white room…

Galan and Tempus watch the bird-masked figures. They bicker and complain as they lift the unwieldy arch off its foundations.
“Lift, you shit!”
“Shut up!”
“I’m hungry!”
“Go left. No right! Stupid!”
“We’re all hungry. Hurry up and we’re out of this place.”
“What ain’t those two little lazy bastards helping?”
Clearly they have seen Tempus by now.

The goat skulls move their jaws as they're jostled about…one could interpret this as silent and impotent protest. The unwieldy arch hits the wall, clanging loudly. The birdmen grunt with exertion, but they begin carrying it out of the room through the southeast exit, towards the other party members.

Others in the party, with the possible exception of Angus, are by now aware of the masked men in the other room. It is not unreasonable to fear that their dialog and noise will bring more visitors.

DM rolls dice

But so far, it doesn’t. Galan and Tempus are racked by a quickly growing and painful hunger.

Time: 20:05
Known Spells in Effect: Yenny under some sort of hunger enchantment; Galan, Tempus wracked
Light bearers: Lamps in rooms - Angus' lantern has 3.5 hours worth of oil left in it but is unlit.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#489 Post by tkrexx »

Angus, you okay, hah? Hyde was anxious about allowing Chronia to touch the Ranger, and now fears the effects. But the bumping and bickering in the next room now has his attention. Where's Galan? And Tempus? Dern them small ones anyway, always be sneakin' off!

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#490 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny to Chronia "Is there anything else we can do? Anything you would tell us as we continue our journey through this strange place?---Oh--what is going on with those others?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#491 Post by onlyme »

While Dandelion politely apologizes for her inconsiderate comment. She listens
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#492 Post by Zhym »

Angus, his reflexes almost imperceptibly slowed, nonetheless catches the vial of Chronia's tear. For a split second, he thinks on the nature of charity: is a good deed still a good deed if you accept a reward? And no mere token at that—the power to change time! Does he trust himself with that power?

He decides that he must. "Much obliged, ma'am," he says. He smiles at what seems to be a dinosaur pet. No doubt guarding anything the impertinent visitor might try to take.

"If it ain't asking too much," he continues, "can you tell us anything about this prison? We're after some fellers what're trying to get at Azurpenia, or at least her stuff, to help 'em fight us in a war. We're keen on that not happening. But danged if this ain't the strangest place I've ever been. Anything you reckon you could tell us'd be a mighty big help."
Vial added to inventory; age increased one year.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#493 Post by AleBelly »

I'll give Storm/Nuke time to post if they want and move things along tomorrow.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#494 Post by Nuke66 »

Galan watches the group lift the stone arch, curios what might happen. Though his stomach is starting to get the better of him.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#495 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus retreats to the exit as the strange masked figures move the archway, stepping into the corridor the rest of the party headed. Once out of the room he will wait for the gnome.
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#496 Post by AleBelly »

To avoid too much back and forth, I'm going to assume someone told her the party is from Masmuria/Alleborg

The Yenny and Angus press for more information and offer help...if indeed they can help.

"You would have to be more specific. This dwelling is vast. I will focus on the immediate area. I am not welcome in most places down here and things change quickly. I also see few visitors, and many just come to visit my adorable Fracture-of-the-Bone here" she replies, cooing towards the hairy creature motionless at her feet. "So information from far away may not be accurate..."

"Alleborg...Masmuria. I've not heard of these places. But you must understand many worlds lead, or once led, to this place. Of course, scores of kingdoms may have risen and fallen since I took up residence here. What can I tell you...." she trails off, thinking to herself.

Just then, three human(oids?) with bird masks noisily come into the room just outside Chronia's. They are carrying the arch, cursing and bickering. Well, at least one end of it. The other end remains unseen in the white room. Eventually, the other end becomes visible, the other three masked figures carrying it.

Chronia points. "There is a good place to start. Thieves, them. Escaped from the world above long ago to avoid lawful men. Watch your purses around them. Fools, too, if you ask me. Stealing from the gallery. The guardian won't be happy about that. And I don't mean the hunger-mad men. The white golem - it can't be reasoned with...

Yes, the gallery. The works, many so close to me, would be ruined in months. There is an enchantment in the gallery that preserves the works - but this enchantment contorts time, inducing terrible hunger. It can even kill. If you have business in there, get in and get out..."

She looks to the long east wall in her room. "That door - leads to Azurpenia's almery. She keeps items important to her there. She's even older than me, so there is much. Have you...met her?" inquires Chronia.

Finally, to answer Angus' question "I have met nobody else from your Masura or Allborg" she answers. "If your enemies wanted something of hers, it would be most likely in there. But they would have to contend with her archivist, Torgos Zooth, and his guards."

She returns to the subject of Azurpenia. [dialog"What have you heard of her?"[/dialog]

Tempus ambles back into the room, and as soon as he leaves the marble threshold his hunger subsides some, though he still feels compelled to snack. The hunger in Galan's belly becomes a pain such as he's rarely, if ever, felt before.

Time: 20:08
Known Spells in Effect: Yenny under some sort of hunger enchantment; Galan, Tempus wracked

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#497 Post by tkrexx »

Just then, three human(oids?) with bird masks noisily come into the room just outside Chronia's. They are carrying the arch, cursing and bickering. Well, at least one end of it. The other end remains unseen in the white room. Eventually, the other end becomes visible, the other three masked figures carrying it.

Chronia points. "There is a good place to start. Thieves, them. Escaped from the world above long ago to avoid lawful men. Watch your purses around them. Fools, too, if you ask me. Stealing from the gallery.
Cowards! Hyde barks at the bird-clad shapes, You flee the Law topside, then break the Law below, hah? He blinks and pauses. Why would anyone want to steal THAT?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#498 Post by Storm11 »

"The gnawing hunger dissipates somewhat once out of that room!" the halfling says with relief. "If we are swift we could perhaps move through it without too much difficulty!"
Greys Campaign.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#499 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion looks over the situation and holds tight to her trusted, shiny trident. She waits for any sign of battle, sensing it is coming.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#500 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny, to Chronia, "I don't believe we really know anything of Azurpenia. We sort of wandered in here and now we are all getting hungry. I'm not sure if we are hoping for treasure, information, or adventure. It's all been a bit overwhelming, really. I mean, I cant really complain--it seems we are not stuck here for the coming millennia, as a couple of the group came and then left. But, wow. This place is making me lose my sense of reality. It's all a joke too many. Umm, excuse me. I don't mean to blather, I'm just...". Yenny wanders back a few steps and then walks towards the door in the back of the room.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”