Chapter 11a - Targus and the Tome

AleBelly
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 11a - Targus and the Tome

#41 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf snorts.

"Good luck with that. So, of all the death defying jobs we could take on, what needs doing the most? Looks to me like you might need some more information about the field of battle before committing troops."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote:Angus looks around the tent, wondering if the guards outside can hear them. But leaving with Castleman would cause suspicion, so he speaks in a near-whisper, hoping distance and canvas will be enough.
"You can speak freely here, if softly" the captain reassures the ranger.
Zhym wrote: "News ain't getting any rosier," he says. "We found us an old book in the basement of an old church in what was once a town called Knob Forest. Brought it back to Targus to look at, and bugger me if it ain't damning evidence of who's been in nethers-deep in with the goblins and worse." He glances around the tent then mouths the name "Adalbert" without speaking it.
Castleman smiles a proud smile at the mention of the party's success. But it's not a gleeful smile. He gives an approving nod at the mention of Targus.

"Probably the person I'm concealing invasion plans from. A fanatic of sorts, no?" prompts the captain.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by AleBelly »

Zorroroaster wrote:Arnulf snorts.

"Good luck with that. So, of all the death defying jobs we could take on, what needs doing the most? Looks to me like you might need some more information about the field of battle before committing troops."
"We may rely on the Sambords for that. They have seen the walls of their fortress, and we know it occupies an important trading town. Strod. Chet has it on his map" he nods to the monk.

I'm in Germany right now (heading to Oktoberfest tomorrow!) and Chet's player isn't with me, but he gave me guidance on how to play him.

"There are bad men out there too. They know we killed some of them 'cause they saw the spetum I took from one of them" remarks Chet as he thumbs towards the polearm protruding from his sack. "They tried to make friends with us and asked us to hurt Alleborg. We said no."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Zhym »

Angus nods. "We was told we might not be telling you anything you didn't already suspect," he says. "We was also advised to dodge the hell out of Alleborg for a long spell, and we aim to act on that advice. Gonna make it damn hard to talk with you, though, especially without Hellebore's bird messengers. Any orders for them"—Angus waves in the direction of the conscripts—"and requests for me before we skedaddle?"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by AleBelly »

"I do not have the authority to order any of you around" smiles the Captain. "I can merely offer advice, and make requests of you. The rot of corruption lies in the heart of Alleborg. Following Targus' advice has never failed me. I suggest you make for the Sambords, and see if you can be of aid to them. I spoke with one of our emissaries. The Sambords are reticent to share information - though they need our help I suspect they do not trust us fully. Perhaps your new information will ingratiate you with them. If you choose not to go there, it will be best for you to leave regardless. The cottage itself will likely not be safe. And the less you and I are seen together the better for the time being."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Zhym »

We're basically waiting around until morning for Tempus to have his messages ready, yes? I'm good fast-forwarding there if everyone else is.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Storm11 »

I dunno anything about any messages. Tempus is currently training his bear which could take a while.
Greys Campaign.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Zhym »

Sorry. I mean Targus, not Tempus.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Storm11 »

aaah that makes more sense :D
Greys Campaign.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Keehnelf »

Ilfrien is ready whenever.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#52 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny is ready travel

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf is good to go.
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde is training and otherwise occupied, so whenever sounds good.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by AleBelly »

7 Culling

Those not training decide to hole up in their farmhouse outside of town. It is a cold walk in subfreezing temperatures. The previous hints of spring appearing have vanished.

When they arrive, they find Tempus inside...straddling the back of a large black bear! Perhaps it takes those with dirty minds a bit longer than the others to realize the halfling is training the bear as a mount...

Based on earlier discussion, I assume the party will be waiting out here until the others have completed training, then they will retrieve messages from Targus. Please let me know of any precautions the group will be taking...including spells memorized by spellcasters, to fortify the farmhouse. I'll update again tomorrow night.

Life is returning to normal for me so posting should be more regular again

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus waves madly from the back of his bear friend as the others arrive. This is Clarence my new friend. I am teaching him some new tricks, it's likely going to take a while. I have thought of putting some fire trap wards on the doors and some snare wards covering half of each entrance. I also thought about creating a secret door or cellar with my stone shaping abilities, but didn't want to upset anyone what with it it being my house and all." he shrugs, balancing upon Clarence's back and giving no him a treat.
Greys Campaign.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Keehnelf »

Ilfrien frowns at the halfling but says nothing.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Zhym »

"Well, ain't that just dandy," says Angus, deadpan. "More critters as pets. That ain't ever bitten us in our asses in the past few days."

He looks around the farmhouse. It rather fails to resemble a fortress. "If we're aiming to hunker down where folks know to find us, we'd best use every trick we got. Arnulf, how many of us can you make invisible right now?"

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf stifles a giggle when he sees Tempus and the bear, though a smile continues to creep around the corners of his mouth as he responds to Angus.

"Two, just two. Two more tomorrow, though that's not a lot of help at the moment."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Zhym »

Is Arnulf still invisible? What about Galan?

Does Tempus have to be at the house to train his bear (sounds like a euphemism) or can he do it on the way to Sambord?

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”