Chapter 4 - The City of Orcs

AleBelly
enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Chapter 4 - The City of Orcs

#161 Post by enn.in.me »

"I do believe Ilfrien had developed a rapport with the dead man, and might well have inveigled some useful information from him. That was some sly work, if I be not mistaken. Hellebore - your impetuousness may have cost us. And I know from impetuous." Yenny wanders off to help Ilfrien with the bus other farn in companionable silence.
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf watches in horror as the interrogation turns into execution. He's quiet for a while after Ilfrien storms off.

"Is it always this bloody? Because that was really bloody. We should see about that tower. If it's not unoccupied it might be a good location to hole up for the night, get some rest."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Marullus »

Hellebore stares down Ilfirien in silence until the elf huffs off. With a simple nod, she turns to the other prisoner, standing next to Hyde and wiping the ichor from her spear solemnly.

When addressed by Yenny, she listens, responding politely and quietly to the gnome in Gnomish before she departs.
"You do not trust the hiss of a snake. Even if it gives prey to you willingly, it is still full of poison. Ilfirien was not craftier than he. More to the danger, she likely thought she was."
Hellebore turns back to the prisoner with Hyde, holding up the gore-covered arrow she pulled from her chest and regarding it thoughtfully."I really do not like being shot. Nor clever prisoners. Answer my friend's questions."
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Zhym »

"Gotta say, Yenny and the elf bitch got some good points there," says Angus, still keeping an eye on Ilfrien. "Mister no-name was talking. Even if he just babbled 'bout his god, he might could have spilled something useful."

"Back off of this last one, please," he says, looking at the lone survivor. "There ain't no need to be scared of what a man has to say. I ain't met a man yet who could kill me by talking, not less'n someone else helped him. Ilfrien's a cranky thief, but she warn't gonna kill us just cause a man with a weird tattoo asked her to. Let us be with this one; he's scared enough without a spear-waving maniac in his face."
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by AleBelly »

"These marks?" answers the leader, his eyes looking up towards his forehead. He smiles at the mention of the skeletons. "Ah, I see you-" and with that, his life is ended by Hellebore's spear thrust. It makes a mess, as two strong thrusts are required to finish him off.

MW, if Korok had a question for him let me know - we can retcon it.

An argument ensues, and Ilfrien goes off to look at the bodies again (the 214 sp are from all slain enemies).

A dim disquiet falls over the remaining prisoner's face as his leader is killed. But he does not cry, and doesn't appear desperate. He nods towards Hyde. "The ugly thing is right. You dominated us; you decide what's to happen to us…er…me. But it looks like you're gonna kill me anyway, so why in the name of your weak gods should I tell you anything?"

He looks at the party defiantly.

Arnulf suggests holing up in the tower for the night, considering there's only two or three hours of daylight left.
CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#166 Post by CAI4 »

"What the hell, Hellebore!" thunders Chet. "I wanted to find out more about those tattoos and symbols!"

Chet also storms off, but he just stomps around with no real focus.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Zhym »

Angus shrugs at the man's question. "This is when I'm supposed say there are many ways to die, and that if you talk, it'll go more quickly for you. But I respect your calmness in the face of death, so I'll skip past the formalities. If you're ready to meet your god, give the word and we'll send you on your way as mercifully as we can."

"And yet—it's a strange church that don't want converts," says Angus. "Tell me more about Zerbog before you go. What can I say? I'm a heathen. Enlighten me."

AleBelly: The enemies had bows. Did they have any arrows we could use to replenish our supplies?
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Keehnelf »

Ilfrien nods at Arnulfo. "Yes, Chet. Get used to it. Sometimes it's bloodier." She shakes her head at the dead enemy leader. "Yeah, it's always this bloody."
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote:Angus shrugs at the man's question. "This is when I'm supposed say there are many ways to die, and that if you talk, it'll go more quickly for you. But I respect your calmness in the face of death, so I'll skip past the formalities. If you're ready to meet your god, give the word and we'll send you on your way as mercifully as we can."

"And yet—it's a strange church that don't want converts," says Angus. "Tell me more about Zerbog before you go. What can I say? I'm a heathen. Enlighten me."
"I don't have much else to say. He favors the strong and subjugation of the weak, as it should be. Trona too. Trona organizes, sets laws. Zerbog accepts all if they submit to him. All WILL submit in their day, if they like or not. I can take you if you want to submit. Two days' walk to my home. It will help me - it counts too as collecting souls" replies the young fighter.
Zhym wrote:AleBelly: The enemies had bows. Did they have any arrows we could use to replenish our supplies?
That reminds me. Chet should deduct 1 bolt, Angus 4 arrows and Hyde 2. The party finds 40 arrows among the bodies.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Zhym »

"Maybe we'll do that," says Angus. "Which way would we go to get there? And how long has Trona been setting the laws? He send you here? And was there a prophet before Trona? Zerbog must love orcs and giants if he favors the strong, but I ain't seen none of them with you 'cept the half-orc. Seems strange."

"Sorry to hit you with so many questions. Just lookin' to understand is all."
AleBelly wrote:That reminds me. Chet should deduct 1 bolt, Angus 4 arrows and Hyde 2. The party finds 40 arrows among the bodies.
Already did (I try to keep the count updated as the combat progresses, though I don't always succeed). Angus will refill his quiver with four of the arrows.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Keehnelf »

Ilfrien growls. "Right--I was so preoccupied learning about these guys I hadn't noticed you'd all finished the looting. Chet's right--at the very least, they might have something worth taking in that tower...but we need to remember there may be a larger nest of those bat-spiders upstairs still."
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by AleBelly »

[quote="Zhym"]"Maybe we'll do that," says Angus. "Which way would we go to get there? And how long has Trona been setting the laws? He send you here? And was there a prophet before Trona? Zerbog must love orcs and giants if he favors the strong, but I ain't seen none of them with you 'cept the half-orc. Seems strange."

"Sorry to hit you with so many questions. Just lookin' to understand is all."

The young man looks back at Angus. "I ain't answering nothing else unless I get something. Let me go with my weapons, or I can take you back to my home. If you cut these ropes, you have my word I'll go straight back and won't cause you no trouble."
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Zhym »

"Your been cooperative so far," says Angus. "If it'were up to me, I'd say we had a deal. But it takes all of us here to set someone free and only one to kill. 'Fraid there's no way they'll agree to letting you go, not with what little you told us so far. But if'n you answer all our questions and can tell me something really useful, then I'll do my darndest to convince 'em to let you go. But it's up to you. Help me help you."
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Zorroroaster »

"Says the guy previously firing arrows at our heads..."mutters Arnulf.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote:"Your been cooperative so far," says Angus. "If it'were up to me, I'd say we had a deal. But it takes all of us here to set someone free and only one to kill. 'Fraid there's no way they'll agree to letting you go, not with what little you told us so far. But if'n you answer all our questions and can tell me something really useful, then I'll do my darndest to convince 'em to let you go. But it's up to you. Help me help you."
"You do think I have shit fer brains, yeah? I give answers after you agree on a deal. Not before." With that, he raises his chin, exposing his neck. He begins mumbling some words, barely audible. They are impossible to decipher, but they are clearly a prayer.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Zhym »

Angus shrugs. "'Kay then, here's the deal. You answer all our questions truthfully. If'n we learn something useful, I'll see to it you go free. No weapons, though. We don't have shit for brains either."

"If'n those terms ain't acceptable, we're done here." He raises his axe. "What's it gonna be?"
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Marullus »

As soon as he begins murmuring his prayer/spell, Hellebore presses the arrowhead of the gore-covered arrow to his jugular. "Stop that. You know better."
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by AleBelly »

The prisoner stops talking and looks at Hellebore, annoyed. "Was only prayin'."

He turns to Angus. "I got 30 miles to travel. You force me out empty-handed is the same as killing me here. I won't trouble you, and just want a sword, shield and bow. I got some good things to tell."
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Keehnelf »

Ilfrien scowls at Hellebore as she walks over and plants the point of her still-bloody sword in the snow by the prisoner's feet. "Listen, I can appreciate how pissed you must be at being taken out of the fight that quickly, but that's no reason to lose your tiny head. If this guy were a real cleric, rather than just some zealot, do you think he'd be asking for a sword and bow? Or have been so easy to take down? Keep your sense of perspective, please."

Ilfrien turns to the prisoner. "You get the sword and shield and bow for talking. How many arrows you get depends on how good your information is."
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Zhym »

Angus breaks out in a guffaw. "Haw! The elf bitch is nicer than I am!" he says. "I was 'bout to say you could only have the sword and shield for defense. But if she can be generous, sure, I'll go along."

He lowers his axe a few inches into a less threatening position. "So. What're these good things you got to tell?"

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”