Book Three: Out of Time

Grognardsw
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Book Three: Out of Time

#121 Post by Starbeard »

Marius Albertoni

Marius replaces the newspaper and walks out himself. He spins his thoughts, ordering his next steps. Follow the man, gather intelligence; regroup with Reginald and the BOI, warn them to watch for shadowers; organize the trip to Louisiana, hopefully with Algier looking the other way towards Turkey.

The hunter waits patiently before shadowing his mark. He stalks him from a distance as far as he can, checking regularly behind him to see if a second person is following him. He breaks off the chase if it seems that he has been spotted—no need to walk into a trap.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Grognardsw »

In Providence...

Marius steps out from the Providence Library and sees the man across the street, talking to another man seated in a parked, ramshackle Ford Model-T. The man occasionally looks across to the library, and at one point points toward the building.

At Miskatonic University in Arkham, Massachusetts

Edith Walton agrees to the plan and leaves Dr. Clarke and Dr. Morgan at the house.

"I got the information for Claire Ford's empolyer like you asked," says Edith, handing Dr. Clarke a slip of paper with phone and address for the Gentle Angels Assistance Bureau.

"Wish me luck," says Edith, giving David a quick peck on the cheek and leaving.

Through the window, Dr. Clark watches her go. It is then he sees a young fellow loitering about across the street at the big oak on the edge of Mr. Sprague's lawn. He's smoking a cigarette and watching the house. A delapidated bicycle lies on the ground next to him.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Starbeard »

Marius continues his surveillance. He writes down the car's license plate if he can.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#124 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

"Well Edith is off to see if she can convince Ms. Waite to distract the younger Ms. Waite. Before she left she passed me note with an address. It's to the Gentle Angels Assistance Bureau. Our dear Ms. Ford was Raymond's bed nurse of all things. If things don't work out here we should inquire with the agency as to Ms. Ford's employment. Also just now there a young lad scouting out the place." He pulls the curtain of the window open a little to present the outside to Dr. Morgan. "A suitor?"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Grognardsw »

Marius jots down the license plate number - BX81. The man gets in the car and it pulls away, driving down the street and turning toward the river out of sight.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Grognardsw »

Dr. Clark and Dr. Morgan are at Dr. Clark's own house.
Dr. Morgan looks out the window at the young man watching the house but says nothing. The man does not look like a student.

Several hours pass. The phone rings. It is Edith.

"Elspeth wasn't available this afternoon, but is meeting Asenath for dinner in the main dining hall. You'll have 30-45 minutes when her room should be empty, at 6:00 pm."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#127 Post by Mant72 »

Dr. Morgan:

Following the phone call, Frank asserts, "We must hurry. This window of opportunity may not present itself again. Let us be off. We need to take care that our "observer" doesn't follow."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Starbeard »

Marius walks back into the library and asks for directions to City Hall, or wherever vehicular registrations registrations are kept.

At the building: "Good day. Marius Albertoni. I'm hoping look up registration information on a set of vehicle plates, BX81. It should be a Model-T."

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#129 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Reginald Wilkins, bookdealer and occultist
Grognardsw wrote:Reginald returns to his apartment after the appointment with Dr. Ferdinand. The occultist feels he's taken a good first step in the rebalancing of his mind.

The book dealer flips through the Pnakotic Manuscripts, marveling at how knowledge can have such profound impact on man. Reginald finds some ephemera in the front flap pages. Paperwork from the sale of this volume from a famous occult auction some years ago.

Reginald closes the Pnakotic Manuscripts tome, curious about the information he has read in the pages from the occult auction. He ponders silently for a few moments before getting up. First, he calls the Brown University Chemistry department. He asks for access to the lab, so that he might try making some of the concoctions that Harold recently told him about. After that, if the library is still open, Reginald heads over there. He tries to find anything he can about William Jarrow, Cordelia, and anyone else connected to the Jarrow & Marshall press from the 1790s. If the library is closed, Reginald heads there first thing in the morning.
Sorry for the delay in posting! I hope to get back to multiple posts per week now.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Grognardsw »

Dr. Clarke and Dr. Morgan leave the house. The man gets on his bike and follows.

"I'm sorry sir, that information isn't publicly available," the police officer at the desk tells Marius about his request for registration information.

Marius isn't too surprised. He wonders if his BOI connections would help.

"I'm sorry sir, chemical experimentation is restricted to students majoring in chemistry and staff," says the graduate student lab clerk to Reginald's request to use the lab.

Reginald visits the library. He finds little information about Jarrow & Marshall Press, besides the fact it is defunct.
Sorry but those failed rolls...

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#131 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

"Looks like we have an admirer. The young boy is following us. When we get to Ms. Waite's I'll confront him while you investigate."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#132 Post by Mant72 »

Dr. Morgan:

Frank looks uncertain and scratches his chin, "I'm not so sure it is such a good idea that we separate, David. I think its best that we stay together even though we may miss the opportunity to investigate Ms. Waite's apartments."

He looks back out the rear window at the tailing cyclist.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#133 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

"Hmm, your judgement is impeccable Frank. Our combined strength will only insure our probability of success. We shall confront the young man together." Dr. Clarke leans and looks into his side mirror. "Do you have your revolver on you? You know, just incase."
Dr. Clarke is unarmed as he usually is.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#134 Post by Mant72 »

Dr. Morgan:

Frank looks a little perturbed when answering, "Yes, David. I brought the revolver." He briefly touches the firearm through his jacket pocket. "I thought myself paranoid in doing so, but I am now glad that I did.”

He offers a weak smile in an attempt to add a little levity to the dire situation, “Grim days are upon us when professors must go about armed."
Grog, what is the surrounding area like that we are driving through? Urban or rural? Thanks!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Grognardsw »

Dr. Clarke's house is on the edge of campus. It's a 10 minute brisk walk to the dorm. You are walking through several connected quads; mostly grass with landscaped clumps of trees and bushes.

Dr. Clarke and Dr. Morgan walk the Miskatonic campus towards Asenath Waite's dormitory. The discuss in quiet tones whether to split up.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#136 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Reginald Wilklins, bookdealer and occultist
Grognardsw wrote:"I'm sorry sir, chemical experimentation is restricted to students majoring in chemistry and staff," says the graduate student lab clerk to Reginald's request to use the lab.

Reginald visits the library. He finds little information about Jarrow & Marshall Press, besides the fact it is defunct.
Sorry but those failed rolls...
Disappointed with his endeavors, Reginald heads back to his apartment. If it's not too late, he will call Harold, letting his friend know that he has been denied access to the chemistry lab. Perhaps if Harold joined him, Reginald would have better luck.

With what remains of the day, Reginald attends to the duties of his shop, and begins packing for the trip to New Orleans. He tries to put off going to bed, dreading the possibility of disturbing dreams, but eventually turns in.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Starbeard »

Marius Albertoni
Grognardsw wrote:"I'm sorry sir, that information isn't publicly available," the police officer at the desk tells Marius about his request for registration information.

Marius isn't too surprised. He wonders if his BOI connections would help.
For a moment Marius considers fast talking his way through, but decides against the effort. "No problem, officer. We've got a sticky insurance claim down at the office, but I think we can get what we need through the usual channels without too much trouble. Have a good day." He smiles and leaves.

At the end of the day he calls on Reginald's bookshop and apartment.

"Hi, Reg. Have a productive day? I dug out a bit more about this Mount Hatheg-Kla at the library, and got shadowed by two of Algiers' men, I think. The one guy seemed pretty spooked when I cornered him. Hopefully my fast talk gave him the impression we were most interested in Turkey, so they won't be waiting for us in New Orleans. Anyway, I picked up the plates on their getaway car; maybe we can have the BOI process it."

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#138 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Reginald Wilkins, bookdealer and occultist
Starbeard wrote:"Hi, Reg. Have a productive day? I dug out a bit more about this Mount Hatheg-Kla at the library, and got shadowed by two of Algiers' men, I think. The one guy seemed pretty spooked when I cornered him. Hopefully my fast talk gave him the impression we were most interested in Turkey, so they won't be waiting for us in New Orleans. Anyway, I picked up the plates on their getaway car; maybe we can have the BOI process it."
"Good idea, Marius," says Reginald. "Let's have the BOI process the plate number tomorrow.

"Sadly, I wasn't able to get much done today. I thought that perhaps I had found a lead regarding the Pnakotic Manuscripts and the book's publisher, but nothing came of it.

"What did you learn about Mount Hatheg-Kla?"

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#139 Post by Mant72 »

Dr. Morgan:

Frank whispers to David, "Let's temporarily spilt up to see which one of us our "friend" follows. Whomever he does not trail can circle around behind him to catch him unawares."

Frank continues to walk at his brisk pace.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#140 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

"Good idea Frank."
Dr. Clarke stops and turns to Dr. Morgan with his hand out-stretched and shakes the man's hand.
He then speak loudly "Thank you Dr. Morgan for the conversation on our stroll but I have other business to attend to. I shall see you later in the Faculty Club."
Quietly under his breath "Good luck Frank." and Dr. Clarke breaks right and strolls off from Frank across the university.

Return to “That Which Should Not Be (Call of Cthulhu)”