Book Three: Out of Time

Grognardsw
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Book Three: Out of Time

#81 Post by Grognardsw »

"Yes thank heavens," replies Harold to Reginald. "She and the kids were in a bad auto accident. They were all in the hospital for a time. I was home helping them all back to their feet. They've recovered enough and with the help of a maid I'm able to get back to work."

"How has the investigation been going. The one benefit of being home so much was I had much time to read and contemplate."

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Reginald Wilkins, bookdealer and occultist
Grognardsw wrote:"Yes thank heavens," replies Harold to Reginald. "She and the kids were in a bad auto accident. They were all in the hospital for a time. I was home helping them all back to their feet. They've recovered enough and with the help of a maid I'm able to get back to work."

"How has the investigation been going. The one benefit of being home so much was I had much time to read and contemplate."
"I'm so glad to hear your family is safe," says Reginald.

The smile quickly fades from his face. "Yes, the investigation." He pauses and clears his throat. "We've had quite a time of it lately, I'm afraid. After you left, there were a number of ... developments. Isaiah and I were very nearly murdered by a bookshop owner in New York who turned out to be a part of the cult. We barely escaped with our lives. Only blind luck saved us, or...." Reginald's voice trails off for a moment.

"After that unfortunate incident, we went with Mr. Archer to investigate the so-called 'Shunned House' in New York. We found some items there that strongly suggested that the owner, Mr. Chertovski, was also connected to the cult. Rather than arrest him, Mr. Archer murdered him before our very eyes!

"So much has happened the past few weeks, I'm having trouble processing it all. It would be good to have a trusted friend around once again,"
he says, with a quick but genuine smile.

A dark thought crosses Reginald's mind. As casually as he can, he says, "I know you've spent the last few weeks helping your family recover from the accident. But have you had a chance to continue your biological studies? I seem to remember you were close to a breakthrough."
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Starbeard »

Marius Albertoni
Grognardsw wrote:"Mr. Albertoni, I have found information on Mt. Hatheg-Kla in Turkey," says the librarian, interupting Marius' thoughts. "Are you okay sir?"
"I—yes, ma'am. Thank you." Marius dabs his the sweat from his forehead with a plain handkerchief. "It's just a bit warm in here. What have you found on Mt. Hatheg-Kla? I'd like to see it, if you don't mind."

He finds himself preoccupied with the circles and symbols that surround these gates, and the spell to find and open them. He's determined to get more of this information out of Reginald when he sees him again.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Grognardsw »

Harold Mathers' face alights in surprise as Reginald describes the investigation since the chemistry professor had left.

"Archer murdered Chertovski before everyone?" he says in a shocked tone. "By Jove, he must be a madman himself. Like that BOI chap who tried to kill Isaiah. Oh Isaiah, that poor old man. Well, I'm glad I can return to assist, though I must admit to some nervousness in undertaking the task given the grisly nature of these dastardly cultists."

"I have not done any biological experiments, but I have improved my chemical concoctions. They could prove useful. I have what I call a flash bomb, whose light may blind. And a vial of metal-eating acid. And most recently an atrocious stink bomb that will get the most stout man vomiting in no time."

"I continue to be intrigued by the poetry volume called Azathoth, and spent more time on The Testament of Selene book you had left with me. Unlike the poetry, the Testament contains actual incantations."

Harold draws from his leather briefcase the grimoire and opens it up. There are many pieces of paper inserted into the book, bearing many handwritten notes. "I have noted these rituals here by titles...

- Contact Servant of Selene, by which an unidentified "servant" of the goddess may be contacted;
- Summon Servant of Selene, by which an unidentified "servant" of the goddess may be summoned;
- Ingredients for the Dream Mists of the Oracles of Selene (Brew Dream Drug);
- Journey to the Other Side;
- Create Scyring Window."

Marius talks with the librarian. She holds up a picture of the classic myth of Endymion.

"Mt. Hatheg-Kla in Turkey is today known as Mount Latmos. It is said to be a possible location of the priests of the Greek goddes Selene. She is part of the Endymion myth. Apollonius of Rhodes is one of the many poets who tell how Selene, the Titan goddess of the moon, loved the mortal god-son Endymion. She believed him to be so beautiful that she asked Endymion's father, Zeus, to grant him eternal youth so that he would never leave her. In alternative translations, Selene so loved how Endymion looked when he was asleep in a cave, that she entreated Zeus that he might remain that way. Zeus granted her wish and put him into an eternal sleep. Every night, Selene visited him where he slept. Selene and Endymion had fifty daughters who are equated by some scholars with the fifty months of the Olympiad."

"Some say the myth of Endymion is that he is not dead but endlessly asleep, (the proverb - Endymionis somnum dormire, "to sleep the sleep of Endymion") ensured that scenes of Endymion and Selene were popular subjects for sculpted sarcophagi, when after-death existence began to be a heightened concern. In the Renaissance, the revived moon goddess Diana had the Endymion myth attached to her."

Marius vaguely remembers hearing that the Miskatonic professors Dr. Clarke and Dr. Morgan led an archeological expedition to somewhere in Turkey several months ago.

At Miskatonic University in Arkham, Massachusetts, professors Clarke and Morgan wonder what Edith Walton could have said to persuade the stern secretary to divulge Elspeth Waite's information. The three of them make their way to Ms. Waite's dorm room.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#85 Post by Mant72 »

Dr. Morgan:

Along the way, Frank inquires, "Edith, I must know, what did you say to the secretary that permitted us entry to Ms. Waite's room?"

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#86 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Grognardsw wrote:Harold Mathers' face alights in surprise as Reginald describes the investigation since the chemistry professor had left.

"Archer murdered Chertovski before everyone?" he says in a shocked tone. "By Jove, he must be a madman himself. Like that BOI chap who tried to kill Isaiah. Oh Isaiah, that poor old man. Well, I'm glad I can return to assist, though I must admit to some nervousness in undertaking the task given the grisly nature of these dastardly cultists."

"I have not done any biological experiments, but I have improved my chemical concoctions. They could prove useful. I have what I call a flash bomb, whose light may blind. And a vial of metal-eating acid. And most recently an atrocious stink bomb that will get the most stout man vomiting in no time."

"I continue to be intrigued by the poetry volume called Azathoth, and spent more time on The Testament of Selene book you had left with me. Unlike the poetry, the Testament contains actual incantations."

Harold draws from his leather briefcase the grimoire and opens it up. There are many pieces of paper inserted into the book, bearing many handwritten notes. "I have noted these rituals here by titles...

- Contact Servant of Selene, by which an unidentified "servant" of the goddess may be contacted;
- Summon Servant of Selene, by which an unidentified "servant" of the goddess may be summoned;
- Ingredients for the Dream Mists of the Oracles of Selene (Brew Dream Drug);
- Journey to the Other Side;
- Create Scyring Window."
"These cultists are dangerous," says Reginald. "Your latest chemical concoctions should be a great help in dealing with them," he says with a smile.

When Harold takes out the Testament of Selene, Reginald flinches involuntarily. He makes no effort to reach for the book or for Harold's notes. Very softly, he asks, "Have you ... tried ... any of these rituals?"
Is Harold giving the potions to Reg to use? I've noted them on my character sheet, but if he's keeping them I will remove them.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Grognardsw »

Edith Walton winks at Dr. Morgan. "Us girls have our secrets Francis. Let's just say I heard a rumor from the grape vine that our stern secretary has been having extracuricular activities with a certain married professor."

Marius concludes his investigations at the Providence Public Library. He takes a leisurely stroll across the river to College Hill, where he is scheduled to meet up again with Reginald Wilkins at his book store.

As the Italian crosses the bridge, his hunter observation and instincts kick in. Someone is following him! A swarthy man of indeterminate lineage, dressed in a sailor's coat, trousers and slouch hat. He is trailing behind Marius about 20' on the other side of the street.

As Harold describes his chemical concoctions, Reginald realizes they could be quite useful in the investigation. The Mickatonic professor of chemistry does not have the items on his person, and doesn't seem to be suggesting he will give them to Reginald.

"Actually performed the rituals?" responds Harold to Reginald. "Why no, I haven't gone that far. I wouldn't know to what purpose to cast them. Have you performed such... spells from The Pnakotic Manuscripts?"

Dr. Clarke, Dr. Morgan and Edith Walton arrive at Asenath Waite's room. The door is ajar; they hear her having an animated, silly conversation with another student. "-- and then the big lummox said 'I can swing.'" Then laughter between two women.

The investigators knock.

"Come in! The door is open!"

Inside is Asenath. Her smile fades as she sees the Miskatonic men.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#88 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Grognardsw wrote:As Harold describes his chemical concoctions, Reginald realizes they could be quite useful in the investigation. The Mickatonic professor of chemistry does not have the items on his person, and doesn't seem to be suggesting he will give them to Reginald.

"Actually performed the rituals?" responds Harold to Reginald. "Why no, I haven't gone that far. I wouldn't know to what purpose to cast them. Have you performed such... spells from The Pnakotic Manuscripts?"
"Could you show me how to mix up those conconctions, old friend?" asks Reginald. "As you know, I have no skill at chemistry, but I could follow a recipe easily enough. The solutions you mixed earlier proved ... useful in our tussle with the New York bookshop cultist."

A pained expression crosses Reginald's face as his friend asks about the rituals. "I must admit, I have tried them. What I've seen...." His voice trails off, as he remembers the strange journey that ended with Carcosa in the mural. Then he remembers the sight of the she-thing beneath the Shunned House, and Reginald shudders involuntarily. He clears his throat to finish his thought. "I know that what I've seen has changed me. I just hope that what damage they have done is not irreparable."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by Mant72 »

Dr. Morgan:

The Miskatonic professor was hoping that Asenath Waite would be absent from her apartments when he, David and Edith arrived. He has a feeling the girl is quite intelligent and cunning. "Good morning Ms. Waite. I hope we haven't disturbed you. It is good to see you in such high spirits after such a trying and horrific experience you had just mere days ago. Do you mind if my colleagues and I ask you a few questions?"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Grognardsw »

"Yes it was such a tragedy what happened to Konstantin," says Asenath with a frown, which then turns into a cold look. "And that descpicable Agent Smith and his assault on me. I am having nightmares about it."

"Jenny, let's catch up later,"
Asenath says to her friend, who leaves the room.

Asenath motions for Dr. Morgan, Clarke and Edith to take a seat on a couch. "I must admit that when law enforcement shows up, one doesn't expect murder and rape to occur by their hand. Should I worry for my safety with your visit?"

"Yes Reginald I can share my 'recipe' as you call it for my chemical creations," says Harold. "But it does require rare ingredients, precision of measurement and mixing in certain lab equipment. Don't attempt this in your kitchen!"

"I suppose your occult incantations are more arcane equations that require similar careful consideration and attention to process. I have been curious about them ever since I read about the alchemists of old who supposedly turned lead to gold. Though these spells seem quite different."

The book dealer and chemistry professor further discuss the investigation. 

"I am glad to hear you dealt another blow to this vile cult's operations in New York. With your Providence success around Club Zothique, it seems we are making headway. Though it is disheartening to learn the alleged extant of their operations and the at-large presence of Ambrose Carcosa. New Orleans seems a logical next step."

Harold looks grave and adds: "But those astronomy findings, the solstice date, the various archeological sites, stolens artifacts -- these are ominous clues pointing toward something. What do you think Reginald?"

Marius pauses at the bridge over the Providence river, apparently admiring the view but considering his next move against his clandestine tail. 

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Grognardsw wrote:"Yes Reginald I can share my 'recipe' as you call it for my chemical creations," says Harold. "But it does require rare ingredients, precision of measurement and mixing in certain lab equipment. Don't attempt this in your kitchen!"
Reginald gives what he hopes is a reassuring smile. "Of course, old friend," he says. "I'll be very careful. I'll check with my contacts at Brown here in Providence. Perhaps they will let me use their lab."
Grognardsw wrote:"I suppose your occult incantations are more arcane equations that require similar careful consideration and attention to process. I have been curious about them ever since I read about the alchemists of old who supposedly turned lead to gold. Though these spells seem quite different."

The book dealer and chemistry professor further discuss the investigation. 

"I am glad to hear you dealt another blow to this vile cult's operations in New York. With your Providence success around Club Zothique, it seems we are making headway. Though it is disheartening to learn the alleged extant of their operations and the at-large presence of Ambrose Carcosa. New Orleans seems a logical next step."

Harold looks grave and adds: "But those astronomy findings, the solstice date, the various archeological sites, stolens artifacts -- these are ominous clues pointing toward something. What do you think Reginald?"
"Yes, I agree, what we've uncovered so far suggests a very important, and likely very disastrous event coming very soon. From what we can tell, this cult seems intent on bringing some entity from another ... world, or dimension, or reality, into our own.

"It all seems so... I don't know, unreal. It makes me question my very senses. And yet, I cannot ignore what I've observed. How could I? Poor Isaiah...."
Reginald drifts off, again remembering the horrifying images from the basement of the Shunned House.

After a brief moment, Reginald continues. "This cult must be stopped. New Orleans does seem to be a logical place to investigate. But we know that the cultists believe Mt. Latmos to be the key, and we may be running out of time. Perhaps we should attempt to stop them there?"

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#92 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

"Watch your tone with us Ms Waite, you may not be enrolled in our class but we are professors of this university. I expect you to speak with us with respect. Continue Professor Morgan."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#93 Post by Mant72 »

Dr. Morgan:

"Now Ms. Waite, there is no need for hostility. We just have a few questions for you, and then we'll be on our way." Frank then launches into his inquiries, all the while looking for any tell-tale signs that may betray her reluctance to answer truthfully.

"How did you come to be acquainted with Konstantin Chertovski? What can you tell us about the man?"

He waits a few moments for her answer then proceeds, "Do you know anything about the young lady that was found dead in the woods out by the old mill ruins a few months ago?"

Again, he tries be keen to any outward signs of deceit.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Grognardsw »

In the Arkham University dorm room of Asenath Waite...

Asenath lights a clove cigarette, inhales, exhales.

"Mr. Clarke, I will speak to whom I please in whatever tone I wish," says Asenath with a biting sharpness that belies her age. "And I choose not to speak with you or Mr. Morgan. You keep the company of murderers and rapists."

She looks at Edith. "As a fellow woman, I will talk to you. Alone."

Edith looks at Dr. Clark in expectation.

In a cafe on College Hill in Providence...

Sipping his coffee, Harold Mathers considers Reginald's words, then speaks.

"With the clues your team has, including the New Orleans address of Carcosa and this property James Ford purchased, New Orleans is indubitably the next spot to strike. But yes, I agree that Mount Latmos in Turkey holds more significance if it is the location for whatever may happen this coming solstice."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#95 Post by Mant72 »

Dr. Morgan:

"Very well. David, let's leave these ladies to discuss matters on their own." He nods at Edith and turns to leave the room, hoping she can unravel some of the girl's secrets.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Grognardsw »

Edith waits for Dr. Clarke's acquiescence.

Reginald and Harold talk further at the cafe. Harold asks to borrow the Pnakotic Manuscripts.

Reginald looks at his watch and realizes he has to go soon for his first psychotherapist meeting.

Marius pauses at the bridge over the Providence river, apparently admiring the view but considering his next move against his clandestine tail.
Last edited by Grognardsw on Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Grognardsw wrote:Reginald and Harold talk further at the cafe. Harold asks to borrow the Pnakotic Manuscripts.

Reginald looks at his watch and realizes he has to go soon for his first psychotherapist meeting.
Reginald gets that cold feeling in his stomach again when his friend asks for the tome. As he wonders what his friend could want with it, he remembers what the unfortunate BOI agent said about Ms. Waite at the Shunned House.

"The book has been seized as evidence by the BOI," he says. "I'm not even sure whether it is still in Providence.

"Harold, I have to cut our meeting short. I have an appointment in a few minutes. Please do leave the 'recipes' you've come up with at the Brown University chemistry department. I'll stop by there after my meeting.

"As always, it is great to see you, old friend."

Reginald leaves for his psychotherapist's office.

OOC: Does Reginald have The Testament of Selene?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Starbeard »

Marius Albertoni, hunter

As Marius pretends to admire the view of the river, he reaches into his pocket to review his notes. He flips a page or two, lifts an eyebrow and taps his forehead with agitation while mumbling to himself in Italian. He turns back and begins to walk quickly back toward the library, making sure to look as though he is studying his notes diligently.

At the library he finds the woman who had helped him and politely asks if anyone else had come by asking about Mt. Latmos today or recently, and whether anyone fitting the description of his shadower had come by. "I'm here for the annual meeting of my travel club, you see, and we are considering the location for a tour. I was hoping perhaps some of the other members might already be in town."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Grognardsw »

Back at the Providence library...

"I'm sorry sir, so many people come in that it's hard to remember anyone of a particular description. But I can say no one has sought out help finding information on Turkey. That of course doesn't preclude a person from doing such research without our help," the librarian says to Marius.

Harold has only the poetry volume called Azathoth. The Testament of Selene is in Reginald's book shop.

At the cafe Reginald and Harold conclude their talk.

"Certainly, I'll leave those chemical instructions. It was good seeing you Reginald. I'll check in with Agent Mulder to see if my services may be of use. Let me know when you head out to New Orleans, I may like to come."

Reginald leaves the cafe and briskly walks back up College Hill and over to the West side flats. There in a colonial house office the troubled occultist meets with Dr. Albert Ferdinand, a psychologist of some note who has treated several Brown University staffers.

"Good afternoon Mr. Wilkins. May I call you Reginald? Tell me what has brought you here today."

Edith waits for Dr. Clarke's acquiescence.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#100 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

Not saying a word Dr. Clarke leaves with Dr. Morgan. When he is outside of the dormitory he lights a cigarette and offer one to Dr. Morgan. "Women. This is why I was against giving them the vote."

Return to “That Which Should Not Be (Call of Cthulhu)”