Book Two - Undertows of Disbelief

Grognardsw
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Book Two - Undertows of Disbelief

#521 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Reginald Wilkins, bookdealer and occultist
Grognardsw wrote:Agent Mulder resumes interviewing John Maskelyne. He learns the man is a stage magician in London visiting Chertovski, who was a personal friend. Mulder presses him for more information about the Russian, but Maskelyne is not readily fortcoming. He does admit that Chertovski has an interest in occult philosophies and ancient religions and is well traveled in pursuit of his interests. He claims to know nothing of the cult, the Xaqloui writing, or any associations with Ambrose Carcosa, Timothy Carver, the Whateleys, Eduardo Hernandez, Ubaid Hazrabad, Anne Marie Le Voi, the Dark Pharaoh, or the Hepcats of Ulthar.

Reginald Wilkins listens as he paces around. None of the Carcosa letters mentioned Maskelyne, so it's hard to tell if the Englishman is tangled up in the cult.
Assuming Reginald heard by now Maskelyne's response to Archer when he shot Chertovski,Reginald interjects during Mulder's interrogation of Maskelyne. "If you don't know Carcosa," he asks, "then how do you know he's in New Orleans?"

To Marius, Reginald asks, "Can you show me where this door to the cavern was?"
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#522 Post by Grognardsw »

Book dealer and occultist Reginald Wilkins listens to Agent Mulder's interrogation, trying to remember if there were any England or London references in the investigation files. The book dealer then joins in the conversation with Englishman John Maskelyne.

"I heard Chertovski said he was going to visit Carcosa in New Orleans," answers Maskelyne, taking a draft of a cigarette he lighted up moments ago. "I don't know the man myself."

Upon the BOI agents return with the rapist Agent Gibson...

"Jesus Christ! What is going on with everyone? This damn case. It's making my people go crazy!" yells Mulder at no one in particular. "Gibson, how the hell do you expect me to believe that balderdash! You were caught in the act!"

"I don't know how else to explain it, sir," says Gibson meekly. "I wasn't... myself."

Agent Mulder snaps at one of the other men: "Call the police, have them come by and pick up Gibson. We'll deal with him later."

Dr. Morgan and Dr. Clarke are happy to see each other alive and in good health after the scare of the rabid Sam Archer. Father Vaughan continues to hold the valet bag and is talking with the still shaken Asenath Waite in the corner of the room.

The investigators listen to Marius' account of what happened beneath the house. Dr. Clarke is incredulous, not sure whether to believe the story of the creature in the depths, or if there was indeed leaking gas that caused the hunter to fall unconscious and dream the whole thing. But then where is Isaiah and BOI Agent Gibson?

Marius checks his pistol and is both shocked and relieved to find that the barrel is empty of bullets. He opens up his handkerchief and finds a small pile of chalk dust. He wonders at the significance of that and shows it to the others.

"We need to search this basement," says Agent Mulder. "Along with the rest of this damned house. Who knows what we'll find."

"Marius can you show me where this door to the cavern was?" asks Reginald, who after seeing the chalk may hold suspicions.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#523 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

"Reginald do you think that is such a good idea. If Marius's account is true…" he does not finishes the sentence with words but his expression is very telling. It could mean certain death for both men.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#524 Post by Mant72 »

Dr. Morgan

Looking at Dr. Clarke, Frank nods his head slowly and then adds, "But we can't just leave the man down there...unaccounted for..."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#525 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

"Oh no of course not. I just think that we should wait until Agent Mulder and his men secure the area below. They are more adapted at handling physical confrontations if any still exist as well as better trained to treat Isaiah if he lie injured. Reginald is the only one among us who can decipher the strange writings we have found. Still more study is need and new writing have to be translated, like the large stone monoliths in the garden." Dr. Clarke point past the broken window "Out there several large monolith stand in the front garden. Each one of them has the same strange markings. They could be the key to this madness."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#526 Post by Mant72 »

Dr. Morgan:

Still disturbed by the appearance of his doppelganger, the murder of Chertovski, and the rape of Asenath Waite, Dr. Morgan seeks to occupy his analytical mind and suggests, “Might us more scholarly types go out to further investigate the ring of stones while Agent Mulder and his men take care of what they do best?" Frank looks to David, Reginald, and Father Vaughan questioningly.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#527 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Reginald agrees with the others, and goes outside to look at the stones and the xaqloui writings. If possible, Reginald will try to make sense of them with the help of the Pnakotic Manuscripts.

Does the previous roll count for this check? If not: Read Xaqloui at Shunned House (50) [1d100] = 73
:x

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#528 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

David goes back to Chertovski desk and searches for pencils and lots of paper. He will try and locate at least two pencils, one for him and the other for Dr. Morgan. Enough paper to make rubbings of the stones writings. While rummaging through Chertovski desk he keeps his eye out for key words on documents, New Orleans, James Ford, Carcosa, Dark Pharaoh Freak Show & Circus, Club Zothique, etc..

Spot Hidden 25% [1d100] = 74

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#529 Post by Grognardsw »

Dr. Clarke searches Chertovski's desk, finding plenty of paper and pencils. He eyes various correspondence but none with incriminating evidence. Did the Russian have a separate office elsewhere, as he claimed, or is there a private one within the house?

The men excuse themselves to examine the standing stones. Rubbings of a majority of the Xaqloui is taken, which runs along the bottom 4" of four of the standing stones that form the cardinal direction points. Some of the other stones seem very stylistically different. Perhaps taken from different parts of the world? Reginald studies the Xaqloui on the spot and is unable to translate them. Further study in front of his books and notes may yield more.

When the return, they meet Agent Mulder in the foyer. "We checked out the basement and found no pentagram or trap door, but there was chalk dust on the spot Marius said the trapdoor was. No sign of Mr. Bartlett and Agent Smith. Do you want to see down there? Beyond the main cellar were newer rooms and a lot of machinery including freezer units that kept two of the rooms very cold. They weren't freezers as you'd expect, but rather homey rooms with regular furniture, bed, mini-kitchen."

The men are searching the house, which stretches back with a lot of additions. I'm about to take the northeast corner. Do you want to come, or check things out yourselves?"

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#530 Post by Mant72 »

Dr. Morgan:

Frank pulls David and Reginald aside and whispers, "I'm almost reluctant to suggest this, but might the area in the basement, the spot covered in chalk, be another gate? Similar to the one you used, Reginald? I hope my curiosity isn't getting the best of me here, but perhaps bringing the crystal into the basement will reveal the trap door?"
Last edited by Mant72 on Wed May 25, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#531 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

"Oh what a dangerous idea Frank. What Marius descriped sounded similar to your account at Club Zothique. But if there is another gate to be found in this monstrosity of a structure dare we open it? Don't forget what happened to Dr. Randolph. I heed on caution. We still don't know what the crystal does, what effects it has, it's source power. If only if Archer didn't shot Chertovski. He might have had some insight into it or knew exactly what it was. If there was a gate present, Isaiah and Agent Smith have appeared to have gone through it, by force or willingly. What do you think Reginald? If there is a gate and you can open it can you be sure that we won't be pulled through or worse? Can you be sure that something doesn't come through from the other side?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#532 Post by Starbeard »

Marius Albertoni, hunter

Marius feels clearheaded, but is obviously excited. This was his first true, verifiable encounter with the paranormal, and he knows it happened. When Agent Mulder returns to the foyer empty-handed, he defends his story. "I swear it was all true. Look! My gun's empty, see? I loaded it up before we left, and you'd all have heard me if I fired those shots off in the basement!"

"We never did check out those side rooms, though. I say we check there. But," he adds on his way out the front door, "I'm not going back down there without a real piece. I've never let my prey get away before, and I'm not gonna let it get away now." He rushes out to the cars to grab his rifle, wraps it in his coat and runs back to the house.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#533 Post by SocraticLawyer »

DadsAngry wrote:Dr. Clarke:"Oh what a dangerous idea Frank. What Marius descriped sounded similar to your account at Club Zothique. But if there is another gate to be found in this monstrosity of a structure dare we open it? Don't forget what happened to Dr. Randolph. I heed on caution. We still don't know what the crystal does, what effects it has, it's source power. If only if Archer didn't shot Chertovski. He might have had some insight into it or knew exactly what it was. If there was a gate present, Isaiah and Agent Smith have appeared to have gone through it, by force or willingly. What do you think Reginald? If there is a gate and you can open it can you be sure that we won't be pulled through or worse? Can you be sure that something doesn't come through from the other side?"
"I agree with you, Dr. Clarke, that pursuing whatever lies beneath this Shunned House is dangerous," says Reginald. "But so too is turning our backs on a dangerous enemy. If there is a ... gate ... down there, I intend to close it. It is certainly too late by now to save Isaiah and Agent Smith. But perhaps we can stop the beast from entering our world again."

Reginald asks for his gun back from Agent Mulder.

Reginald knows the Find Gate and Elder Sign spells, right??

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#534 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

"Yes, yes of course Reginald. Is there anything we can help you with? Perhaps the father can say a prayer or can bless you for protection."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#535 Post by Grognardsw »

SocraticLawyer wrote:Reginald Wilkins, bookdealer and occultist

Yes, he performed Find Gate before in the courtyard outside of Carcosa's apartment building. Elder Sign he'll need to make a 1d100 roll.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#536 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Grognardsw wrote:
SocraticLawyer wrote:Reginald Wilkins, bookdealer and occultist

Yes, he performed Find Gate before in the courtyard outside of Carcosa's apartment building. Elder Sign he'll need to make a 1d100 roll.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#537 Post by Grognardsw »

Reginald in his studies thus far is unable to master the Elder Sign spell. He can with 1d4 weeks of study try again.
Reginald considers the Elder Sign, but doesn't feel confident he can successfully cast it. He ponders how the Pnakotic Manuscripts contains several spells having to do with Gates, as well as one on trapezohedron crystals.

"I can certainly lend spiritual support," says Father Vaughan in response to Dr. Clarke's comment. "While I did not see what the crystal did in the Mt. Latmos cave, if there is concern that it may react to what could be in the basement, perhaps we should not bring it down?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#538 Post by Grognardsw »

Starbeard wrote:Marius Albertoni, hunter

Marius feels clearheaded, but is obviously excited. This was his first true, verifiable encounter with the paranormal, and he knows it happened. When Agent Mulder returns to the foyer empty-handed, he defends his story. "I swear it was all true. Look! My gun's empty, see? I loaded it up before we left, and you'd all have heard me if I fired those shots off in the basement!"

"We never did check out those side rooms, though. I say we check there. But," he adds on his way out the front door, "I'm not going back down there without a real piece. I've never let my prey get away before, and I'm not gonna let it get away now." He rushes out to the cars to grab his rifle, wraps it in his coat and runs back to the house.
A successful Fast Talk or Persuade by Reginald will convince Agent Mulder to give him back his gun. Marius will need to make a similar role.

Marius collects his shot gun. He and Reginald attempt to persuade Agent Mulder to let them keep their guns. Then together the investigators go down the basement steps.

There is an empty rack for three flashlights on the wall at the bottom of the stairs. The basement is dark, illuminated only a little bit in from the light shining down from the hallway. There is a light switch but the lights don't come on.

Agent Mulder turns on his flashlight. The basement looks quite old, likely part of the original structure. The stone walls are singed black. The investigators recall from library research that the house had burned down at one point in its long haunted history. The room is large, about 30' by 20', with newer looking doors in both the east and west walls. Cobwebs adorn the old furniture and boxes that line much of the walls.

Marius points to the area on the north wall where he claims there was a chalked occult circle with what Isaiah guessed to be old Hebrew writing along the inner edge of the circle. The circle is not there, but there is some discoloration present.

Marius points to the middle of the room where he says there was an open trap door with stairs leading down. Chalky dust is around the area.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#539 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Persuade roll (41) [1d100] = 69
I'm traveling now but will post an update tomorrow.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#540 Post by Mant72 »

Dr. Morgan:

Frank shudders as he reluctantly follows the other investigators down the stairs and into the dank basement. Once reaching the bottom, he turns to Agent Mulder, "Sir, would it be possible to have my firearm returned to me? I would feel much more secure in such an ominous place, and it might prove auspicious to have more people with weapons." The skittish professor tries to dismiss thoughts of the ghoulish creature that was reported to prowl here, and he is particularly disturbed by Marius' vivid description of the thing's haunting, owl-like cry.
Persuade (15%): [1d100] = 1 Wow! With such a great roll, might Frank have convinced Mulder to return everyone's guns? ;) :D

Return to “That Which Should Not Be (Call of Cthulhu)”