[Completed] - Varas/Watchtowers - 8 March, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Varas/Watchtowers - 8 March, 1 VC

#41 Post by Keehnelf »

"Oh, I can appreciate the sentiment quite well. In fact, you've been delightfully incautious in allowing a creature as dangerous as myself this close to your party."

The rabbit makes a small snort that might be laughter.

"It so happens that I am a defender, of sorts, of the moorland: an avowed enemy of goblin and lizard-man alike. I assume if you fight goblins we might not be at odds with one another at present.

"Here is the situation. These lizard-men have come in force, and have patrols out scouring the countryside as we speak hoping to protect their camp from threats. In fact, there is only one thing on these moors that they truly fear, and they have misjudged that thing quite severely."

The rabbit is quiet for a long time, then continues. "Would you be averse to aiding me in clearing out this camp? I believe we can do so, and your group can recover what loot you might desire (I have no interest in such things), well before any patrols return. We could consider it an undertaking of mutual benefit."
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#42 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar

I believe if we were to team with you we would fare much better against these lizard-men than if we were to take them on ourselves. It is clear you have magic far greater than we have. I think if we are ever going to fight these creatures, now is the time to do so. I will aid you in combat against the lizard-folk.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by AleBelly »

"The dwarf is more optimistic than I am" says Varas with a slightly surprised look on his face. "We weren't keen on taking on these creatures before we met you, Mr. M, and I don't think a rabbit adds much to our side. Perhaps you have a plan that would convince us this isn't a suicide mission?"
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Keehnelf »

The rabbit twitches his nose in irritation. "My plan is this: I use my small stature and unassuming presence to make it within striking distance of the tents, at which point I begin to wreak havoc with the soldiers there, focusing my efforts on the axe-wielding lieutenant.

"The commotion will draw the remainder of the group less the females from their tents, at which time you can begin assailing the new arrivals with missile weapons or charging forth to engage them as your capabilities allow. I estimate fewer than ten males based on what I can smell, which I could handle myself but likely not without injury. I would prefer to make quick work of this, avoid any harm, and not leave a trail to be followed by.

"Does this plan meet with your approval?"
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#45 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I have a bit of magic at my disposal as well Mograth. I can put a few of them to sleep you know! Wendall seems to like the idea of fighting (and looting) these creatures now that they have some proper help.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by AleBelly »

"Very well. I trust you value your own life enough that you have faith in your plan. And if we get to keep the loot, you can count me in" says Varas, a dreamy look in his eye as he imagines the riches that will come from this.

While the others decide, the tall man asks another question. "So what is the one thing these lizard men fear? The giant wolf-man?"
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Keehnelf »

"Wolf man?" The rabbit's ears perk up. "There is a wolf man of some kind out here? I'm certain I would have heard of such a thing, were it so. No," the rabbit say, hopping away to circle the lizard-man camp and approach from the opposite side. "What they fear is me."
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Keehnelf »

March 10, 1 VC - 4:20pm

Mr. M disappears among some stony hillocks and a few minutes later reappears between some rocks on the slope on the far side of the tower's ruin. He picks his slow, careful way down toward the camp from behind the few assembled lizard men. Eventually, he disappears in the shadow of one of the tents, and nothing happens for a minute or longer.

Finally, though the party members can hear nothin, clearly something catches the attention of the lizard man lieutenant and his armed companion, who exchange a quick look and some low guttural syllables. The lieutenant unslings his axe and leads the way toward where Mr. M disappeared.

The two lizard men round the corner and both stop in their tracks. The spear-wielding lizard man calls out a warning, attempting to alert the camp to some danger, as the lieutenant turns and swings his axe toward his companion.

Lizard Lt. Save vs spells [1d20] = 8

Lieutenant attack [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22 damage [1d8+2] = 3+2 = 5

The axe descends and the lizard man is just able to raise an arm to attempt to defend himself, reducing a killing strike to a significant injury to his weak arm. The lieutenant readies for another strike, and his companion repeats the alarm cry. As he calls out, a half-dozen more armed lizard men spill from the tents into the campsite, searching out the source of the trouble.

AleBelly: initiative roll!

Everyone: declaration of actions!
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by AleBelly »

"Ha ha! That little critter's really something!" Varas springs into action. He calls out to Wendall "Target the non-lieutenant lizard men on the right with your spell! We'll direct missile fire at the leftmost one."

I'm assuming we'll let the lieutenant finish off his enemy and leave those two alone..

Varas gets close enough to fire at the lizard man on the left, getting closer if he has to

(please modify by distance as necessary...how far away are they?

Initiative [1d6] = 1 Crap!
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Keehnelf »

The enemy are about 85' from the party.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Keehnelf »

Just so I have this all written down somewhere in advance:

LM Lieutenant: 10 hp

LM 1: 4 HP
LM 2: 5 HP
LM 3: dead
LM 4: 7 HP

LM 5: 5 HP (axe-wounded soldier) (asleep)
LM 6: 12 HP
LM 7: 7 HP

LM Female: 7 HP

Mr. M: 5 damage

The Lieutenant is AC 5, the other lizard men are AC 6, and the female is AC 7.

The Lieutenant has a battle axe, the standard LM have spears, and the female has a cooking ladle.
Last edited by Keehnelf on Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by AleBelly »

Keehnelf wrote:The enemy are about 85' from the party.
Varas will fire from his current location then to avoid melee as long as possible.

Assuming the LM's are given numbers from left to right, that would mean Varas was targeting LM1.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Zhym »

Harold slings a bullet at the same one Varas targeted.

Sling: [1d20] = 19, Dmg [1d4] = 1
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Keehnelf »

Yeah, this is more or less left to right except that the female is kind of in the middle and slightly closer.

1-4 came out of tents on the left, 5 was with the Lt., and 6-7 came from a tent on the right side.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#55 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Wendall does as instructed and casts his Sleep spell at the group of lizard men on the right, furthest away from the fighting lieutenant.

That bunnys crazy! He didn't even let us get ready, he just hopped right over there!
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#56 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar will move forward 10' or so, making his crossbow shot short range. He will attack one of the lizard-men on the left, ideally the one currently targeted by Varas and Harold.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by AleBelly »

Those are high damage rolls :?
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Keehnelf »

Round 1 Narrative Summary

A deep grumbling like the low roar of a lion accompanies the sudden reappearance of Mr. M, in the guise of a massive black wolf that leaps from behind the tent and throws itself upon lizard man 3, tearing and rending at the helpless seeming reptilian with teeth and claws while the creature dies gurgling in agony. The wolf is truly massive, nearly as tall as the lizard man lieutenant who continues to press his attack against his erstwhile minion. The lieutenant's axe swings wide, and his opponent steps inside his guard to deliver a sound blow with the spear for 6 damage.

Lizard men 6 and 7 attack the lieutenant before they catch sight of the enormous wolf, and they are so horrified that their wills falter and their attacks are ineffective.

Lizard men 1,2, and 4 attempt to mob the wolf that stands over the body of their fallen comrade, but only one connects with a spear strike for 5 points of damage.

The party lets fly with a barrage of missiles, dealing a total of 5 damage to Lizard man 1 as every projectile hits its target. The pair attacking the lieutenant note the origin of the missile attacks and point in the party's direction agitatedly.

Wendall intones the words of power, attempting to bring an early bedtime to the remaining enemies.

Sleep HD affected [2d8] = 12

Wow! That's every remaining lizard man except the lieutenant!

Sleep saves: [1d20] = 17, [1d20] = 17, [1d20] = 17

Sleep saves: [1d20] = 8, [1d20] = 18, [1d20] = 19, [1d20] = 17

Aaaaand the dice roller is on fire! Every lizard man except the one being actively massacred by the lieutenant makes their saving throw! What a crazy round.

Initiative and new actions!
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Keehnelf »

Oops rolled an extra save--ignore the last one.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”