Out of Character Discussion - a Safety Zone!

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Out of Character Discussion - a Safety Zone!

#221 Post by Mister-Kent »

Happy Turkey Day all!
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Metal Fatigue
Guide
Guide

#222 Post by Metal Fatigue »

Indeed…on the assumption that you all are in the US, Happy Thanksgiving.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Rukellian »

It was a good turkey day! Got to sleep and not worry about going to work for one night :lol:
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Luckies.... I'm at work.

Did get thanksgiving off so there's that. I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving!
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#225 Post by Mister-Kent »

I'm at work, and I actually had to work 7-3 Thanksgiving morning. Good thing is, when I got home, everything was smelling delicious and ready to eat! :D
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#226 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Alright... back from a long damn drive up and down California. There's construction everywhere, and there's crazy people trying to buy "cheap" stuff all over the darn place.

Gah. Time to crack open a bottle of wine, I think.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by MonkeyWrench »

So now that I am all caught up... Seth gets back from hell and is now about to get jumped? Oh the poor life of a werewolf...

Welp Ruke... bring it on :twisted:
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by Rukellian »

In all honesty, I have this lingering guilt that I can't seem to shake off right now. I have myself thinking that my character's actions are what is causing the campaign to go in the wrong direction, straying away from its original roots and causing some discomfort for some players. If this is the case, please say so so that I may put these thoughts to rest and move on, do something about it. I would be more than willing to drop Clark/Clarence as a character if it means putting the campaign back onto the right track in terms of teenage angst and what it truly implies. If someone is not comfortable with how things have been progressing, as a fellow player, I need to know this so that I can stop doing it!

If it helps any, know that I am not entirely comfortable with how my character turned out either. Guys?
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by MonkeyWrench »

It may have been my own weird and chaotic upbringing but I don't see the campaign as that off track? Yeah it isn't stereotypical teenage "why won't they notice me!", "my life is ruined! Agghh!!" crap but I never had that anyway.

So far I have just been rolling with the punches, or rather, rolling with the "hard moves". things got crazy but this is a supernatural setting we are playing, not a stereotypical school life setting. We are playing on a whole 'nother league of stuff that I believe we are still right smack dab in the middle of, the only problems I see is that at the end of this villain arc the classroom may have like 3 students :lol:

Ruke, let me see if I can rid you of at least some of that guilt. When we were making this setting a lot of references were made to certain shows, one of the being True blood. Now, I don't know if anyone actually watched that show but I never missed an episode; And if what were playing has any correlation to that shows type of drama with supernatural setting then we are no where near the too far line, I mean, no one's even exploded! and the only people that have really died are because I myself killed them, I don't count Vanessa because she may somehow be still alive or something, and I ended up saving Frederick's soul so there's the redeeming factor there.

If anything I should be the one feeling guilty about my characters actions, making them too violent or gritty, but again that may just be because of how I was raised and acted through high school and how I perceived the hard moves presented to me. So cheer up Ruke! It's fine if you still want to put your character on the NPC bench and start fresh, nothing wrong with that and there are a lot of cool skins available, just don't feel guilty about what your character has done so far, because it isn't all that much in my book ;)

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#230 Post by Mister-Kent »

No worries--I'm still enjoying the game, and really curious to see if everyone will survive ;) But yeah, at the rate this is going, I fully expect that the school will be 98% depopulated by the end of it! :D
Playing

Metal Fatigue
Guide
Guide

#231 Post by Metal Fatigue »

Clark didn't commit murder! Human sacrifice isn't murder, it's just—it's a—um… OK, so Clark committed murder :D

Totally legit response to the situation, though. Don't beat yourself up, Rukellian.

One of the laws of Monsterhearts is "Play to find out what happens." Turns out that what happens in this case is an escalating orgy of violence. Roll with it. Keep playing. Find out what happens next.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#232 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Yeah, it was cool. The game is meant to push buttons. The moment when Clarence became Clark was a cool moment, so it was all good. Fighting back from that is good too, but if you ever do feel like you need to hit reset, then I just wanted to offer the option of NPC'ing Clark Defray & giving you a new Skin.

However we'll solve the Emissary of the Horned Prince (which is hard since the Chosen One is out for now & doesn't have a giant pile of Strings on her & I'm bogged down in work lately)... Clark has a role in it.

Honestly, a lot of what's dragging for me is just the level of work I have at work :lol:
Getting back from the holiday has been quite difficult... I'm just wiped out by the end of the day.

I like the stuff we've done, but I also know that I need to drag it back towards the teenage thing in order to be true to the genre. As interesting as it could be, I don't want it to be all "Queen of the Demonweb Pits" in the Apocalypse World engine. (I have the old Q1 module in my pile of stuff, actually.)

I'm just reminding myself that this is about teenage monsters, and I need to work at getting it back in that direction.

Metal Fatigue
Guide
Guide

#233 Post by Metal Fatigue »

No, actually, you don't have to. In fact, you shouldn't. Never drag anything anywhere.

Treat your NPCs like stolen cars, by which I mean let us play demolition derby if we want, and play to find out what happens.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by Rukellian »

Whew, thanks for the reassurances guys. What you all said really lifted a lot off of my worried outlook on this game. Now I know I am doing this right and that I haven't made anyone truly uncomfortable yet. :) Perhaps it would be a good idea to stick with Clark a bit longer. Maybe this will all lead to something quite interesting...

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Are we waiting for something?

I think I'm really just waiting for Ruke's or Q.Q's response to my actions

Metal Fatigue
Guide
Guide

#236 Post by Metal Fatigue »

MonkeyWrench wrote:Are we waiting for something?

I think I'm really just waiting for Ruke's or Q.Q's response to my actions
Yeah, I'm waiting on Q.Q

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by Rukellian »

I'm waiting on Q.Q as well. My last post ended with a violatile roll that ended badly. It's common courtesy to stop there and let Q.Q Elf come up with a hard move, right?

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by MonkeyWrench »

I hope this game didn't die... I was having a lot of fun.

Metal Fatigue
Guide
Guide

#239 Post by Metal Fatigue »

Two weeks waiting for the MC to post? Stick a fork in it, it's done.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by Rukellian »

This game was definitely a good learning experience for me when it came to emergent gameplay. Thank you everyone for making this game fun and I will wait as long as I need to for Q.Q Elf, but I will not keep my fingers crossed.

Perhaps, within the unofficial shut down of this game, a new one could be born using the monsterheart rules. Would love to play a new series with a different plot and perhaps locale? Just throwing some ideas out there, don't want to shoot the current game down just yet.

Return to “Monsterhearts: Against my better judgment”