Expedition - Bromric/Reclaim the Mountain - June 3, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Bromric/Reclaim the Mountain - June 3, 1 VC

#241 Post by Marullus »

"I have seen the place where the dragon slew the last dwarves of this mountain en masse, when at his full strength. I saw the severed paw, hewn by this very axe which I carry. Their sacrifice leaves it weakened. If it regains strength, any strength, we might never be able to face it all. No venture in these halls is safe while it lives. Facing it weakened and with allies is better than I hoped," he replies quietly to Perthrin.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#242 Post by Keehnelf »

The queen nods, as though she had anticipated these concerns. "My people need little from others, but we have gathered much with time. We care not for adornment, though we mount these shields as record of the notable enemies we have faced in the past to keep our halls sacred and secure. I assure you, though we have fought dwarves before, it was their adventurousness that cause out conflict and not some imperial desire of ours." She pauses to let the words settle before she continues. "I can arrange for a sack of coins as heavy as one of my thringrinir for you to bring back to your homes, whether you answer my call or no. Indeed, it is for our fortunes that the Master of Shadows sought out this place and finds his rest here. His elemental yearning for the gleam of gold and the shine of gem unmans him." She stands upon her throne as she goes on. "As for his fate: I have what I need, in part. But as long as he lives he will cast a shadow over us, and we will not be free. He sought to overcome us by coupling with me, by planting a flag in my womb that would guarantee our subservience. But he sees our strength, and he knows his own weakness. He fears us in his jealousy; rightly so. We will not be free while he lives, though his gift to us might bring us true freedom in time." She rubs her swollen belly once more.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#243 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Perthrin nods to indicate he understands and is willing to join in, liking the odds if he can hide behind so many thringrinir. My magic ithn't likely thtrong enough to affect a dragon. And my weaponth are mundane. But I will do what I can.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#244 Post by Keehnelf »

June 14, 1 VC - 11:10am

"He bleeds, like any creature." The queen says simply. "He will come here again in three days' time; if you are here, he will know and his wrath will be terrible to behold. So you should act before then, or depart and return some other time in the hope that he will slumber once more. I will arrange for your reward to be brought to you." She whistles and the thringrinir enter through the various tunnels leading into the chamber. She points at one of the thringrinir that had been near the throne when the party entered and calls out to him in their tongue, pointing then at Bromric. Perthrin understands enough to suggest that the reward being brought should be commensurate with Bromric's stature.

Some time later, the thringrinir returns with two large, mildewy sacks that clink as he moves and bulge with coin, laying them before Bromric and opening them to reveal a large sum of gold, silver and a smattering of copper coins.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Marullus »

Bromric looks to his companions to find if the sacks are sufficient to mollify them. Assuming there is no dissent, he continues.

"I have no desire for delay. If your warriors are ready -- half the Thringrinir, you said, with the remainder here with you -- we can be ready as well," replies Bromric. He looks to his companions, but particularly to Perthrin. "Do any of you need rest or preparation?"

"Once the beast is slain and we stand here once more, I am agreeable to what we've discussed. You and your kin will aid in the reclaiming of the halls above from the lesser ones who hold it. You said you agree that I and my people could retain the halls for ourselves, for the dwarven return, and that you wished your folk to find freedom beyond them. I can agree to that. Where would you desire to go? I would fix our agreement and boundaries with care to prevent future altercation between our peoples." He continues after her response, "I am impressed by the honor of Jerdan; I would welcome him, or perhaps two others, as a retainer, coming with me to share our knowledge of the world above. His loyalty to you is absolute, and I know he'd only undertake such a dangerous opportunity at your request."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#246 Post by KingOfCowards »

Kennit nods in agreement, "Better now with help, rather than later and alone.".

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Perthrin is both frightened and excited to see a living dragon. And to be part of the slaying of it. I have my thpell ready. Ath I thaid, I don't know if it will be with much on a dragon. He politely inquires if the Queen has any magical artifacts the group might use: scrolls, arrows, etc.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#248 Post by Spartakos »

Gilgamesh, reassured by the sack of coin and by his companions' willingness to pursue this dangerous hunt, sets himself to the task.

"What approach would give us best chance for victory? Shall we try to creep on him unawares? Or perhaps lure him into an ambush?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#249 Post by Marullus »

Bromric strategizes with Gilgamesh. "If we go with ourselves and half the Thringrinir warriors, our best chance is to attack in a large enough space to allow all to assault him. We damage him as much and as quickly as we can. If the Gods allow us the grace to find him slumbering, then we gain a brief period of in which to do as much harm as we can. Once that moment has passed, our hope is that he still is wounded and weakened and we can act swiftly enough. We'll need to spread out and surround him so he cannot target all of our number with his fiery breath. So, it depends on where he sleeps. Perhaps we let our quiet hobbit friend here see the room and know if he slumbers? If he is in a confined space it is too much his advantage. But, I do not know that he'd take the bait to come into the open. If you wish to lure him into an open space where he can be surrounded by the Thringrinir (who me may suspect less), then I think the only bait he might take is that of dwarven taunting. I doubt he has forgiven us for his long captivity, if you think you can goad him."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#250 Post by KingOfCowards »

Marullus wrote:Bromric strategizes with Gilgamesh. "If we go with ourselves and half the Thringrinir warriors, our best chance is to attack in a large enough space to allow all to assault him. We damage him as much and as quickly as we can. If the Gods allow us the grace to find him slumbering, then we gain a brief period of in which to do as much harm as we can. Once that moment has passed, our hope is that he still is wounded and weakened and we can act swiftly enough. We'll need to spread out and surround him so he cannot target all of our number with his fiery breath. So, it depends on where he sleeps. Perhaps we let our quiet hobbit friend here see the room and know if he slumbers? If he is in a confined space it is too much his advantage. But, I do not know that he'd take the bait to come into the open. If you wish to lure him into an open space where he can be surrounded by the Thringrinir (who me may suspect less), then I think the only bait he might take is that of dwarven taunting. I doubt he has forgiven us for his long captivity, if you think you can goad him."
"I have no problem sneaking, but as we've seen I am limited by lack of infravision. Let us scope out the surroundings first to see what is available to us."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#251 Post by Keehnelf »

The queen interjects during the group's discussions, "The chamber of the Master's rest is several levels below this one. One half is flooded but separated from the rest by a dike of stone. In the hollow created on the other side, which is quite large, is piled the riches of ages upon which the Master sleeps. There are two passages out of the chamber--one the size of a large man that offers access near the floor, and one much larger one that leads out at an angle through the ceiling toward the upper levels of the mountain. Our scouts indicate that it leads to the ruins of the dwarven furnaces in their ruined halls." She looks toward Jerdan, who nods in confirmation.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#252 Post by Marullus »

Does the queen respond to Bromric, per above?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#253 Post by Keehnelf »

Ah, missed that question. "I do not believe anyone would be spared his wrath if he woke to find dwarves in these lower halls."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#254 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Perthrin doesn't have anything to add in the way of strategy. He's ready to go whenever as long as Keehnelf confirms his spell is memorized after the days of traveling.
Then let uth endeavor to be thure he doeth not wake.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#255 Post by Spartakos »

Marullus wrote:"If he is in a confined space it is too much his advantage. But, I do not know that he'd take the bait to come into the open. If you wish to lure him into an open space where he can be surrounded by the Thringrinir (who me may suspect less), then I think the only bait he might take is that of dwarven taunting. I doubt he has forgiven us for his long captivity, if you think you can goad him."[/dialog]
Gilgamesh raises his eyebrows, then gives a wry half-smile. "Nay, you'll not find me goading any dragon. I thought if we could provide some choice morsel to tempt him...treasure, mayhap. I've heard that wyrms are greedy beyond measure. But I would seek only to lure him out unawares, not angry and ready for combat. If you think this unlikely, then let us try a different tack."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by Keehnelf »

Yes, your spell is memorized.

The queen smiles. "If you have some item with which to tempt him, we could arrange to use it as a lure. What kind of ground would you want to meet him on?"

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#257 Post by Spartakos »

Keehnelf wrote:"If you have some item with which to tempt him, we could arrange to use it as a lure. What kind of ground would you want to meet him on?"
Gilgamesh meets her smile with a thin one of his own. "Ideally, one such as Bromric described...where we can fall upon him from all sides. Do your folk use missile weapons of any sort?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#258 Post by Keehnelf »

"There are many such places. We can lead you to one--but again we will need something to entice him; and if we are part of this ruse, and you do not succeed in slaying the Master, all our heads are forfeit. As for missile weapons; the thringrinir do not believe in slaying one's foe from a distance, but we are capable at throwing axes should the need arise."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#259 Post by Marullus »

"I carry nothing to entice a dragon, especially which wouldn't arouse his suspicion of dwarves presence," Bromric tells Gilgamesh. "Unless someone has something to proffer, I think our greatest hope is that he slumbers, and that we can do sufficient harm before he rouses to turn the tide."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#260 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Perthrin pats his chest and pockets and then shrugs.

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”