Expedition - Bromric/Reclaim the Mountain - June 3, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Bromric/Reclaim the Mountain - June 3, 1 VC

#221 Post by Marullus »

As they travel, Bromric inquires of Jerdan to learn of other customs. What of his scars? What is the meaning for cutting oneself? Do they battle amongst themselves or only with others? What of honor? How to resolve dispute?

When they arrive and the others bow, Bromric steps to the fore then also shows respect by taking a knee before addressing the queen. "It is an honor to come thus before you, queen of the Thringrinir. I am Bromric Gorak-Okri-Elgraz-Endrinkuli, the returner of dwarves to the Mountain, and come with respect. I found your people facing certain death and returned them to liberty, keeping my word. They likewise treated with honor and have brought us before you with safe passage. I am proud to have returned these safely to you. I would speak, as leaders of our peoples, about our futures." He waits there for response.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Keehnelf »

Jerdan seems reluctant to speak of the scars, saying only, "My people do not believe in armor such as you and your companions wear. As for disputes, there are none. The Queen's word is law. To disobey is death. Honor is to serve the thringrinir and the Queen."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

What is the appearance of the Queen? Similar to the others?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Keehnelf »

As the group rounds the fire, they see that the queen is much less heavily muscled than the male thringrinir around her, though she is still quite formidable looking. She is dressed in a fraying pale blue robe of elven style and a tall silver headdress of similar origin, seated at the top of a rough conical rise upon which a carved throne has been placed. It sits at a slight angle to the right, as though it were hastily or unskillfully placed, and she sits bolt upright in the seat with a long wooden scepter in one hand. She is quite pregnant.

She addresses Jerdan in their odd tongue before speaking to the party. "Welcome, newcomers. Rise and state your business here in the court of the thringrinir!"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#225 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:When they arrive and the others bow, Bromric steps to the fore then also shows respect by taking a knee before addressing the queen. "It is an honor to come thus before you, queen of the Thringrinir. I am Bromric Gorak-Okri-Elgraz-Endrinkuli, the returner of dwarves to the Mountain, and come with respect. I found your people facing certain death and returned them to liberty, keeping my word. They likewise treated with honor and have brought us before you with safe passage. I am proud to have returned these safely to you. I would speak, as leaders of our peoples, about our futures." He waits there for response.
Just checking. Does this answer her request?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Keehnelf »

Derp. Yes, it does. Sorry, as I said--scrambling to catch up and jumbling myself in the process.

"Welcome, and thank you for returning our loyal subjects to their rightful place among the thringrinir. How did you come to be in the depths of the mountain to find them? I had thought all the dwarf-folk had fled after the Master of Shadows broke free of his prison." she continues.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by Marullus »

"Regrettably, the last of my kind that I knew to live in the mountain were all slain in combat against the dragon-wyrm when it was freed," responds Bromric. "The mountain halls are overrun -- orcs, goblins, ogres, gnolls, and undead abominations -- all without the integrity and honor I have witnessed in your warriors. Dwarves are builders, however," he straightens up. "Of mighty halls, of long legacies, of alliances and friendships. We come with alliances from many races, from a city to the south which bids you greetings." He takes a moment to indicate that he travels with an elf, a dwarf, and a halfling as demonstration of his word. "My kin seek to reclaim and repopulate these dwarven halls. To build and rebuild, overcoming those who seek only destruction. Honorable allies and fine warriors are welcome to me, and worth the journey to such depths. If I may ask, Queen of the Thringrinir, what are your relations to those above? What is desired by you for your people?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by Keehnelf »

The Queen looks around the chamber slowly, and then with a wave of one hand clears the room of the other thringrinir. They bustle out quietly, looking suspiciously at the newcomers.

The Queen is silent for a long time and then says, "We have no relation to those who rule the halls above apart from hate. Like the dwarves before them, they keep all of beauty and value to themselves and our numbers are too small to force a foothold above. I have made an arrangement that should improve our situation." She smiles, revealing rows of fangs, and Bromric understands the revelation, or the beginning of a revelation, of a truly wicked plan. She rubs at her pregnant stomach indulgently as she continues. "If you seek the reclaim the halls for yourself, we would be willing allies, if you could eliminate one last remaining obstacle to our freedom." She pauses, then stares at Bromric, considering.

"I know where the Master of Shadows rests. I can put him at your mercy, if you would finish him. Do not drive him off. Kill him. If you can do this, we would forge a bond to last the ages between our long-lived peoples."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#229 Post by KingOfCowards »

Kennit's ears perk up in curiosity. All the pleasantries and titles had caused his mind to wander, but talk of killing grabs at his attention.
Assassin's work? Finally, something he's good at.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by Marullus »

Bromric ruminates, the negotiations now in earnest with the room cleared. "This is good news, to aid each other in eliminating this mutual threat. Neither of us can find security until the Master of Shadows is eliminated." He looks to his companions and sees Kennit's excitement. He is pleased to see such mettle in the hobbit, especially when facing a dragon. "I would seek to parlay on this with full honesty. You have no shortage of warriors - why cannot you strike yourself? What is it that prevents you, but will not prevent us? How is it you can put him at our mercy, and to what degree? Where does the aid of your warriors support and where can it not in this grave and mutual task? This is important to our planning of the act. How is it that this will grant you freedom currently denied you? Is it to be done now, or after preparation? Will he be vulnerable enough that our small envoy can finish the task or should be return with a mightier force?"

After that discussion, he continues. "I agree in the merit of alliance beyond this task, perhaps for the long and mutual benefit of our peoples. I am glad to hear that you see no kinship or alliance with the goblinoid forces above. I heard a tale of your people from a being of long memory, but would hear your own story. How is it that you came to your current state? What is your ultimate desire once you find freedom and home in the world above? He straightens up earnestly. "My own interests are clear and open. I seek to secure the safety of the dwarven halls for the reinhabitation of dwarven folk, both as we begin small and as we grow. I wish to live in partnership with the other races to the south as well as to those who are named allies within the mountain - trade among these peoples will benefit all I call friend. I am willing to aid you in gaining freedom, particularly from mystical constraint, and in eliminating this grave mutual threat to our respective peoples. I desire that we forge a bond, as you say, to last the ages, one of honor and respect between trustworthy friends. I ask that you be open with me as well, for a future alliance requires we be witting of each other's intentions. You are blessed in your womb, for which I offer you blessing and congratulations. What is the arrangement you have made and how will it be of aid in the future?"

As builders, he cannot help but notice the hasty construction of the Queen's dais. He offers to fix it for her personally as a gesture of good will.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Perthrin rises, as commanded. He takes in the scene and notices the elvish attire of the queen. Perthrin allows Bromric to do the negotiations at this time. Though he is not keen to confront a dragon, seeing Kennit and Bromric accepting the challenge makes the task more palatable.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by Keehnelf »

The Queen considers Bromric's questions for a long while and seems to be weighing how honest to be with him. Bromric can tell that the thringrinir, though they might be cunning, or perhaps even duplicitous, do not have much practice in deception. Finally, she seems to resolve herself toward honesty, and she says.

"Yes, I will answer your questions. I have begun this dangerous gambit and I must see it to its end. I have taken the dragon's seed in my belly and am forging a new ruler for our kingdom, who will be able to rule in my place when I die. With luck, this will usher in a new era for our people--you see, the thringrinir were made weak in some ways by the Robed Ones who shaped us, to compensate for our great strengths and our longevity. I am the sole female of my people, and despite coupling with all my people at various times I have been unable to conceive--before taking the Master of Shadows to my bed. Now, his spawn will usher in a new era for my people, and perhaps we may escape the narrow bonds of our small numbers that have kept us chained to this dank cellar for fear of our safety and future.

"As for the Master himself, he rests in the catacombs below here, sorely wounded. He half-slumbers, so is weak compared to his strength of old, but still he is strong. I do not know how long it will take him to recover, but a goodly sum of my thringrinir are at your disposal if you will make the attack. For the sake of my safety, that of my child, and our clan's future, I would keep half of the thringrinir here in these halls while you descend below with the others."

He tilts her head slightly to one side, her mouth tight, as she awaits Bromric's answer.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by Marullus »

I am going g to wait OoC for the other three to post before Bromric answers.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

what is the throne room like? Is there any sign of wealth? All that has been described is a ramshackle throne, old clothes and a wooden scepter. Perthrin is Chris about the creatures, but we also going to walk out with some treasure. And asking us to kill a dragon... He going to see some serious compensation.

I'll post IC when I know the scene more.

Also, the days reasons deducted. Let me know if Perthrin needs to deduct more for another PC.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#235 Post by KingOfCowards »

Quite a revelation. Kennit would be on board with attacking the dragon. I am not sure about this queen, but first things first. Probably no other opportunity like now.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by Marullus »

Oh, right. What WAS hert response about the cash rewards offered by Jerdan?

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#237 Post by Spartakos »

Gilgamesh is certainly leery at going up against a dragon, but will go along if we can come up with a good plan (better than "march in there and try to stab him to death").

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by Keehnelf »

Ah, good point--she has not directly addressed that question yet. A good one to press before making any further arrangements with her.

As for the chamber, the floor is heavily stained and pitted, it is quite uneven in places as though tremors in the earth have dislocated the stones from one another over time, and it is sparely adorned. On one side, a long tapestry hangs like a curtain, but it is so mildewed that only its general color--yellow-gold--can be discerned. It hides a very small section of the chamber from view--perhaps a sleeping area for the queen. Apart from that, several dinged and dented shields hang from the walls at intervals. Due to the roughness of the walls, they must have been added specifically by the thringrinir or some other occupant of the chamber. Each shield has dwarven-style heraldry on it of various forms, and to the eyes of the dwarves they all look like they come from different time periods as well.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by Marullus »

"I know the agony it is to go childless," Bromric empathizes, "and the greater so, with such longevity."

He looks around the chamber. "Tell me of these shields? I am curious of them. Likewise, Jerdan spoke of a reward in gold for his rescue. While I come to cement lasting peace, my companions are keen for more tangible rewards, with which they feed their own children."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

With the initial formalities out of the way, Perthrin studies the chamber. Pitted walls, old shields, mildewed tapestries, threadbare dresses and a ramshackle throne. None of the fortunes that were promised by Bromric or Jerdan. Information is valuable but does not fill a belly. He is pleased to see Bromric address the issue. He wonders what she might offer for the lives of her people and the assassination of a dragon.

Why mutht the dragon die now? you have hith theed already. If the child livth, wouldn't you want more? With the thame, proven father? It theemth premature to have him thlain now. As he says the words, he feels that they might have a deeper truth. Maybe the thringrinir are more clever than they seem. Perhaps he and his companions are merely food to help the dragon recover. Bromric, what differenth would a week make? We could prepare better for thith venture. Get thupplieth with whatever Her Majethty provideth us.

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”