Expedition - Bromric/Reclaim the Mountain - June 3, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Expedition - Bromric/Reclaim the Mountain - June 3, 1 VC

#1 Post by Keehnelf »

June 3, 1 VC - 6:00am

A large party of dwarves and other demi-human adventurers, as well as some human mercenaries and the Adventurers' Guildmaster Valorei, gathers at the gate with a train of mules to head off to the eastern watchtower recently claimed by Kennit and Perthrin.

The party departs just after dawn.

Members of the expedition:

Bromric Wardigger
Kennit Buckthorn
Perthrin the Elf

Rostof, Wardigger Clan Seneschal
2 aged guards of the Wardigger Clan
7 dwarven vassals of the Wardigger Clan
Valorei, Guildmaster
Kirren Swift, human mercenary
Mormoth, human mercenary

Please let me know if anyone else plans to participate in this expedition.

Kennit, Perthrin, and Bromric, please be sure to account for your added two days in town lodging-wise. The dwarf group is, for now, self-sufficient lodging and food-wise.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Bromric/Reclaim the Mountain - June 3, 1 VC

#2 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

@ Marullus: Perthrin is an elf. Hope that is okay by Bromric.

Perthrin stayed in a free room at the Guild and used one days fresh rations.

He then purchased food for one day in town bought 7 more days fresh rations = 16 sp.
He then changed 50 GP to 5 platinum. What is 1% of 50 gold? :oops: 1 copper?

Is there a place in town to purchase potions of healing? If so, how much? (Does Kennit want to go halves on one?)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Keehnelf »

1% of 50 gold is 5 silver.

No place in town sells magical potions of any kind.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Marullus »

You forgot Gilgamesh the dwarf. He's in on this too.

I was going to say, "twelve dwarves, a hobbit, and a wizard set forth to find lost dwarven kingdom when the dragon has lain," but then I had to find out Perthrin was an elf. ;)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Keehnelf »

Right you are! Can't believe I forgot about him!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:I was going to say, "twelve dwarves, a hobbit, and a wizard set forth to find lost dwarven kingdom when the dragon has lain," but then I had to find out Perthrin was an elf. ;)
To bad! He was supposed to be a wizard but my stat roll was so bad that I needed to go for an elf for a chance at more than 1-2hp per level.

5sp deducted. Thanks.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Spartakos »

Gilgamesh buys 5 more days of trail rations before leaving town.
3 gp deducted.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by KingOfCowards »

Spartakos wrote:Gilgamesh buys 5 more days of trail rations before leaving town.
3 gp deducted.
Ditto for Kennit

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Keehnelf »

June 4, 1 VC - 2:10pm

The large party heads east-northeast toward the recently-reclaimed watch tower, moving a bit more slowly due to its large size than it might otherwise. Occasionally, the mule train holds up the party a bit, though the group continues to make steady progress.

In the early afternoon of the second day, the train rounds a shoulder of a rise and spots, about three hundred feet distant, a cluster of three horses grazing on the moor-grass. One is gray, one is custard-colored, and one is a deep chocolate brown. The wind is directly in the party's face, so the horses don't seem to have caught wind of their approach yet.

Please deduct one day's rations apiece.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

Do they appear wild, or do they have visible tack on them?

Bromric is in better spirits as they set out, having completed almost a week of proper mourning. His black leathers are now replaced by fine dwarven plate which he wears easily on their march. He tries to buoy his clansmen. "Dark times are followed by new light; let us do what we do best - apply our hands at our trades, build a future for our families and kin." He takes time in their travels to get to know each of them personally if he didn't already, reacquainting himself with every dwarf now under his care.

As they crest the hill and see the horses before them, he slows, pursing his lips. "Good horses are an asset indeed, and rare in these lands." He scans the horizon for threats or ambush. If he finds none, he gets a silk rope from his stowed gear and pats Gustav, his pony, on the mane. "Let us see if you can make some friends, Gustav. They might spook less at your approach." He offers the rope to Kennit. "You are likely more discreet than I, my new friend. Do you wish to see if you can calm them or rope them?"

1 day's Fresh rations deducted.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Keehnelf »

The horses appear wild.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Perthrin
Seeing the horses makes the elf acutely aware of the load on his framehe has been carrying. And he can taste the freedom from this weight.

He whispers and pantomimes to his companions, I'll try to enchant them to thleep. With the breeze in his face, he sheds his backpack and sneaks ~60' forward, within range of the spell. Still crouched low to the ground, he casts Sleep on the trio.

Let me know if I need to roll anything for sneaking forward.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Keehnelf »

June 4, 1 VC - 2:20pm

Perthrin creeps forward, using the wind to his advantage, until he is within range of his magic. Muttering the incantations and hoping his voice doesn't carry too far across the open ground, he unleashes the enchantment on the cluster of horses. The wind picks up, however, and the swirling mists of the spell are rapidly in danger of being dissipated! Only one of the horses is caught in the effect--the darkest of the trio--and it slumps quickly to the ground. The other two, sniffing trouble in the air suddenly, look around and catch sight of Perthrin hiding behind an outcropping of stone. Immediately, they bolt off over the nearest ridge at a brisk gallop.

Sleep HD affected [2d8] = 2
Which horse? (gray, custard, brown) [1d3] = 3
Enemy saving throw [1d20] = 1

The lone horse remains prone on the ground.

A picture for reference:

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Keehnelf »

The horse appears to be a stallion, by the by.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

The elf having taken action, Bromric stands patiently until he sees the horse asleep. He checks if Perethrin has need of the rope, then starts the column forward at its slow and steady pace once more towards the tower as the elf decides how best to handle the creature.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Keehnelf wrote:The horse appears to be a stallion, by the by.
It does, doesn't it? ;)

Perthrin tuts at himself for the spell's meager catch. He trudges back for his pack and asks if anyone knows how to handle a wild horse. I've got thome wu-wu-wope, but dunno what to do wif it.

I had intended to play Perthrin as an uber intelligent, incredibly well spoken elf (17 INT), but then his face had to get cleaved up. Now he just mumbles. Honestly, I cannot understand how he even casts spells at this point. :? Must be part of the magic.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Keehnelf »

Haha, that's the luck of the draw--he gets the extra tragedy of being very well-spoken but difficult to understand...

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Spartakos »

Gilgamesh shakes his head at the results of Perthrin's spellcasting. "That's magic for you," he grumbles. "Turns 3 horses into 1 sleeping horse". Still, he heads over to give the elf some advice, having worked a bit with horses (mules, more commonly) in his travels.

"I'd suggest you tie a good halter on him and hobble his legs so he can't run. Not sure when he'll wake up, but you'd best have him tied to a stake by that point. After that...good fortune to you." With that, he heads off after Bromric.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by KingOfCowards »

Kennit is actually quite relieved. Unsure of how he would handle a wild horse if he were to sneak up and rope one, he is more than happy to let Perthrin's magic handle this one.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bromric wrote:As they crest the hill and see the horses before them, he slows, pursing his lips. "Good horses are an asset indeed, and rare in these lands." He scans the horizon for threats or ambush. If he finds none, he gets a silk rope from his stowed gear and pats Gustav, his pony, on the mane. "Let us see if you can make some friends, Gustav. They might spook less at your approach." He offers the rope to Kennit. "You are likely more discreet than I, my new friend. Do you wish to see if you can calm them or rope them?"
I guess I misunderstood the intention here. I was thinking that this meant the horses were wanted and someone wanted to take on taming them. Perthrin is not qualified for taming a horse. Below average strength, fair dexterity and only average charisma.

Seeing the wagon train start off again, Perthrin hesitates, feeling like the dog that caught the cart. Okay then... Perthrin follows Gilgamesh to the horse and ties on a bridle as instructed. Impressed with his efforts - it looks just like the pictures in a book he read - he pauses. We cannot thtake it he-uh. Too far from the cathtle.

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”