[Completed] - Ulf/Mission for the Dwarves - May 20, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[Completed] - Ulf/Mission for the Dwarves - May 20, 1 VC

#1 Post by Keehnelf »

This is the mission to the east to end the curse on the dwarf-hold per the divine revelation to Seadu.

Ulf, Seadu Erana, and Martin White are the expedition members so far.

Those who agree to the conditions of the quest set out in the tavern may feel free to join.
Last edited by Keehnelf on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Ulf/Mission for the Dwarves - May 20, 1 VC

#2 Post by Keehnelf »

Seadu said:
Others may join in the emerald quest by agreeing to let the dwarvenheim as an institution have a share, and if the clerics have the authority to decide which items may and may not be taken (very important in this case, because it's pretty clear now that taking any items from there is risky business). On the way to the Finger, anyone in the group can try to catch up with the rest of the dragon raiders if they like.
I'll do my best to make sure that everyone in the party knows that Martin and I have to be consulted before anything is taken, and that the goal here is for the greater good: there is little point in striking gold if no one in this country is left alive to profit from it.
Last edited by Keehnelf on Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zhym »

I'll add that the scope of the quest is to return the emerald to the dwarven tomb, find out (if we can) what happened to the remains of Fangir's son, and inter those remains in the tomb if possible. Whether we do anything else after that or just return straight to town will depend on what condition the party is in after the main purpose of the quest has been fulfilled.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Starbeard »

Hopefully I didn't prickle any feathers with Seadu's actions. If I did, my apologies.

For the expedition, my understanding was that Bromric was fully in, Ulf was the organizer and therefore leader (fair enough, since it's his emerald after all), and Seadu and Martin were insistent only on being consulted before taking actions that may potentially undermine the spirit of the expedition. I'm fine with deferring to Ulf on the extent of the expedition after returning the emerald, but obviously there's nothing stopping any of the members from splitting off after the initial mission.

My sense is that whatever OOC tension there is has stemmed from the discussion of the dwarvenheim, not the expedition. I rushed a town business post to get construction talks underway, since I figured the expedition was coming up fairly quickly wanted to avoid us having to RP in two places at once. After the other buyers-in pitch their proposals in town business, we can post an official plan and amount of funding.

My own understanding was that Ulf and Seadu would start the construction, there were others in town who once voiced interest but may or may not pitch in, and Bromric would pitch at a later date, if and when he had the extra funds for it; right now he'd rather focus his resources on reclaiming a tower and setting it up as a sort of dwarvenheim outside of town. IC the two dwarves are understandably irked that they have different priorities, but Seadu (and probably Martin) can't see any reason the projects should be considered incompatible. OOC it even makes more sense: the clan tower allows dwarf PCs free reign, while the dwarvenheim gives them access to services and lodging while in town.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Zhym »

That was pretty much my interpretation of things too. I thought Bromric was supporting the combined Dwarvenheim and planning to take a tower. That's why Ulf kept asking about how much Bromric would contribute. If what Bromric really meant was "I'm not giving any money to the Dwarvenheim project," it wasn't clear to me. Sorry about that.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Starbeard »

Cool.

Moving on to expedition planning, what are everyone's move rates? Seadu has a mule and is currently travelling at a 60' move rate, but I'd be willing to buy him a horse and redistribute his goods to bring his move rate up to 120', if it will get the party moving more quickly.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Zhym »

I think Ulf moves at 90'. I can't remember if that's the max rate for dwarves in LL.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Keehnelf »

It is.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Keehnelf »

May 21, 1 VC - 4:40pm

The party, assembled outside the gate of Vaul in the early morning light, waits some time for Bromric to appear and join their numbers, but they are greeted briefly by Largo Goodbarrel, on an errand from the Regent, indicating that the dwarf has been held for questioning by the crown regarding the disposition of matters within the mountain--and that the process might take some time. Reluctantly, small in number, the group departs.

The going is easy along the edge of the muddy track east blazed by the Fire Tribe in its hasty advance toward the town's walls. Keeping their bearings based on their own observations on prior expeditions, and comments made by others in town, they prepare to turn northeast after passing the deep cleft that should lie north of their direct route.

The first day passes quietly, the moor now seemingly abandoned by all but the smallest and most discreet of creatures. Ulf scans the ground as the party travels, looking for fresh tracks, but he is no outdoorsman and many times he sees signs that read as contradictory to him before he gives up in frustration. Martin and Seadu seem almost beatific, flushed with the gift of new life, as they travel across the open landscape. Several times, Martin closes his eyes as he walks and murmurs prayers to his new patron, clutching at the holy symbol about his throat with pious fingers.

The second day dawns bright and clear, but with an edge of chill. In the early afternoon, the trio spots the cleft to the northeast, happy to make good progress with little trouble. As dinner and the end of their march approaches, the group suddenly hears a quiet whistling sound and the look around for the source, spotting a spear flying through the air from over a rise to their south, followed by a low bellowing battle cry as a pair of hobgoblins charge over the rise riding on massive wolves, followed by a heavily armored orc similarly mounted, drawing a long curved-bladed sword! The spear lands harmlessly well to one side of the party, but the hobgoblins are already among the party, ready to dispense death with their short-bladed warswords!

Surprise roll: Monsters: [1d6] = 3, Party: [1d6] = 1
Target: Martin 1-2, Seadu 3-4, Ulf 5-6 [1d6] = 1
Target: Martin 1-2, Seadu 3-4, Ulf 5-6 [1d6] = 1

Actions and Initiative!

(And please deduct one day's rations each)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Zhym »

Ulf grabs the spear Gangnir and impales the nearest hobgoblin or orc.

Spear +1 (THAC0 19): [1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21 Dmg: [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4

1 day's rations deducted.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Starbeard »

Seadu Erana, The Tallest (and Baldest) Dwarf

Seadu throws his arms into the air and calls out the battle cry of Falles, unheard for generations. 'Daz-gal-thandrun-Falles-un!' The words fill his fellows with hope and courageous sentiment.

Casting Bless on the area around the party.

-1 ration.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Keehnelf »

Enemy Initiative [1d6] = 4
Party init [1d6] = 2

(I rolled since no one provided initiative)

The mounted hobgoblins are able to press their attack before the party can turn to face the threat. They crash into Martin, short-bladed swords flashing, but the stoic priest simply stands and receives the charge, holding out his shield as he implores Falles for intercession. One sword clangs harmlessly off his lion-faced shield, and he raises his mace to entangle the other, dragging him forcefully from his mount to land with a heavy thump on the rocky ground.

Attacks on Martin [1d20] = 13, [1d20] = 1, damage [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 6

As the second hobgoblin circles back around for another pass, the orc closes on the party, but was hampered enough by drawing his sword that he is still out of range to reach them for the moment. He seems, too, to be bearing down on Martin, his heavy open-faced helmet adorned with the grimacing visage of a dragon and trailing a long pale plume behind it.

Seadu cries out more forcefully for intercession and the party feels Falles' divine might flowing through them, empowering their strikes. Ulf stabs the prone hobgoblin and Martin brings his mace down, but the hobgoblin has already begun to recover his wits and scrambles to the side to avoid killing strikes, taking instead a thrust to the side and a glancing blow to his shoulder. He survives the initial attack, but is bleeding profusely and is near death. (He takes 7 total damage)

Martin attack [1d20+1] = 19+1 = 20, damage [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2

Actions and Initiative!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Zhym »

Ulf Stronghammer grabs his strong hammer and throws it at the charging orc.

Hammer of lightning, +2 (THAC0 19): [1d20+3] = 20+3 = 23 Dmg: [1d4+2] = 1+2 = 3 + [1d6] = 6 elec.

If 9 damage isn't enough to kill the orc, 12 probably isn't that much better, so please use the critical hit to stun it. Or does minimum damage also apply to the bonus electrical damage? If so, please use max damage instead.

I'll let someone else roll the first initiative attempt.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Keehnelf »

The crit effect only lowers the base weapon damage to minimum, so the electricity roll is unaffected.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Starbeard »

Seadu, feeling pretty good about himself, manoeuvres himself next to Martin and prepares to receive the charge against the dragon-helmed hobgoblin.

Initiative [1d6] = 5

Mace attack (ThAC0 19) [1d20+1] = 9+1 = 10, damage [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Keehnelf »

Round Two:

Enemy Initiative [1d6] = 1

Ulf pulls out his throwing hammer and hurls it at the mounted orc--lightning crackles around the head as it flies toward the plated figure, catching him as he remains slightly off-balance and tossing him from his mount, still forty feet away from the battle (9 damage dealt). His dire wolf mount, slavering in unleashed fury and accelerating without its heavy rider, veers off toward Ulf instead of continuing its charge toward Martin.

Seadu and Martin, meanwhile, set themselves to receive the second charge from the remaining hobgoblin. The goblinoid easily deflects the blow with its shield, and ducks under Martin's mace-strike to level a low horizontal slash at the cleric which is once again deftly deflected.

Martin attack [1d20+1] = 3+1 = 4, damage [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6
Hobgoblin attack [1d20] = 14, [1d6] = 1 damage

The charging dire wolf leaps powerfully at Ulf, but he manages to duck aside in time to avoid being tackled and torn limb from limb by the powerful beast. Meanwhile, the plated orc clambers to his feet, uttering an oath in his harsh tongue. The wolf that had been mounted bolts off toward the north.

Actions and initiative!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Zhym »

Ooh, a fancy orc!

Questions:
- Is the orc stunned this round?
- Is Ulf still under attack by a wolf?
- If so, is the wolf in melee range?
- IIRC, Ulf can safely use the hammer in melee as long as he isn't standing in water or something like that, right?
- What else is on the field of battle?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Keehnelf »

The orc lost his actions last round due to the effect of the hammer (represented by him being knocked off and having to get back up, which also kept him at range for an extra round or so).

The dire wolf if still fighting Ulf in melee. The normal wolf whose rider had been killed is the one who ran off.

Ulf can use the hammer in melee.

There's not too much in the way of obstacles on this field of battle. Occasional dips in the ground and a couple of large-enough-to-be-notable rocks that aren't boulders really.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Zhym »

Ulf swings his hammer at the dire wolf's nose but the wolf avoids it.

Hammer of lightning, +2 (THAC0 19): [1d20+3] = 7+3 = 10 Dmg: [1d4+2] = 3+2 = 5 + [1d6] = 3 elec.
Thanks. I was asking more specifically about he effect of the critical hit, but it sounds like it dismounted the orc.

As far as what's on the field of battle, I was trying to figure out who the active combatants are. You used to give us a nice list with hit points. Right now I think we have:

Dire Wolf: uninjured, on Ulf
Special Orc: injured, about 40' away, getting back to his feet
Hobgoblin 1: uninjured, still mounted (?), fighting Seadu and Martin
Hobgoblin 2: near death. His wolf has run off.

Is that about the size of it?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Keehnelf »

Oh, yeah. Sorry about that--still getting back in the swing of things. And it reminded me that I totally missed the near-death hobgoblin! Thankfully, its attack roll also missed.

Combatant list:

Hobgoblin: 1 HP remaining
Hobgoblin: uninjured, mounted
Wolf: uninjured, hobgoblin mount
Orc: injured
Dire wolf: uninjured

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”