Expedition - Varas/The Dragon's Hoard - May 20, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Varas/The Dragon's Hoard - May 20, 1 VC

#241 Post by Keehnelf »

AleBelly wrote:They've been in play for sleep spells since the beginning. I just forgot.

Does Varas have any chance of breaking the orcs' holds?
Yes, he can try to break the hold--it would initiate the first round of combat, and of course both orcs are ready (though one doesn't have a weapon out) so there would be no surprise.

To break the grab would take Varas succeeding on a melee attack (unarmed) against the orc while the orc tries to keep the hold also with a melee attack.

Alternately, if Varas has a knife or something he could try and stab the orc while he's being held (longer weapons would have a penalty).

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#242 Post by AleBelly »

Varas sighs. "What do you want?"

If one of the orcs move towards waking up the gnoll...
Is there a penalty for stabbing with the short sword?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#243 Post by Keehnelf »

-2 to hit with the shortsword while held.

The orc holding the knife grunts. "What we told you we wanted before. No trouble, and you all gone from here. This ain't your place--you can learn that lesson, or we can teach it to you the hard way."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#244 Post by AleBelly »

"What are you doing here? Maybe we can help? I noticed that the dead rise again in this place" replies Varas, probing for information.

He turns to the other window. "IT'S OK! THEY JUST WANT US TO LEAVE!"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Starbeard »

Odium Contemptus

"Leave? We just got here!" Odium calls back up in orcish,
"You there, who seems to be in charge: why should you be so concerned that we leave? We travelled a long way to this blasted rock, and most of us wouldn't be interested in returning until we have something to show for it. Anyway, we outnumber you, and we can use magic! But our trouble isn't with you. I'm sure whatever you seek in this mountain can provide more than enough to go around, and without our help your puny numbers would die in there before you ever found anything worth the risk! How does a pact sound?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#246 Post by Keehnelf »

The orc continues to threaten Varas. "Your friends go, then we wake up ours, then we let you go. Deal or die."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by AleBelly »

Varas gives them a suspicious look. "How do I know you won't just dislodge my hook again? Back up against the far wall, and I'll descend. But how do I get back to the others?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by Keehnelf »

"Your friends go first and we'll let you down the hook safely. We could have killed you already--but that's not our goal."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#249 Post by AleBelly »

"And what is your goal, exactly? Riches motivate me. Maybe we can help you to your goal - and split in the share. Besides, my friends need the rope to leave..." replies Varas, his hand never straying far from the hilt of his dwarven short sword.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#250 Post by Keehnelf »

The orc sneers. "Our goal is survival. Riches, in this place, are a dead man's wish. You'll find nothing but misery here." The unencumbered orc sheathes his weapon and retrieves the grappling hook, standing in the window to toss it across to the far side.

Any responses from Deliah or Odium at this time?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#251 Post by Marullus »

On the wrong side of the air-gap to help Varas when he has a knife to his throat, Deliah frets and remains silent. She could through a knife, but at that distance it would be difficult and almost certainly not kill one, let alone two captors. Her own negotiations failed, as did Odium's... better to let Varas use his own silver tongue. She strokes Hermes' feathers, considering him as well. He could fetch an object, perhaps cause a distraction, but that is again of limited use. She chews her lip and watches, waiting until there is a signal of Varas's intent.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#252 Post by Keehnelf »

The orc takes a couple of tries to toss the hook across, then lets go of the rope once it lands on the other side and motions for the magic-users to pull it through.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#253 Post by AleBelly »

Keehnelf wrote:The orc sneers. "Our goal is survival. Riches, in this place, are a dead man's wish. You'll find nothing but misery here." The unencumbered orc sheathes his weapon and retrieves the grappling hook, standing in the window to toss it across to the far side.

Any responses from Deliah or Odium at this time?
"Then why do you stay? Surely there are other places where you can hope for more than survival?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#254 Post by Keehnelf »

"Once the problem is gone, yes--but there are others still within that are fighting over what's left, and we will wait it out."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#255 Post by AleBelly »

Varas leans in conspiratorally. "Listen. We hail from a new settlement in the south, along the mountains. That settlement is under the charge of a highly ambitious duke or other such noble. We've been sent here to scout. If we don't return, he'll send 30, and there won't be anything left. Let's work together and split the spoils of what lies within. It is the best deal for all of us" suggests the tall, lanky thief. "As you can tell, we have special abilities that makes us powerful allies!"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by Keehnelf »

The orc considers for a moment, then sighs. "Your business is your business. We have no wish to ally with you, but we will let you go if you promise us you will leave us in peace, and that you will not betray our position to others in the mountain if you should be captured."

NPC Reaction Check [2d6] = 5

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#257 Post by AleBelly »

Varas slouches, disappointed. "I understand. No alliance. But a truce. To make sure I understand, you have no objection with us proceeding further? We will not betray your position, and I assume that if we clear out your enemies that can only help you. How can we identify your friends to make sure we do not harm them? Can you give me your name?

Two more things: Can you briefly raise the portcullis so we can let our companion in. He is too, uh, portly to fit through the window. And finally, any information you have about what we may encounter would be very helpful."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#258 Post by Keehnelf »

"We have no friends or allies here in the mountain, so you need not fear. We will open the portcullis, but do not expect us to open it again when you choose to depart. Our circumstances may have changed by that time." Both orcs take a tentative step away from Varas, releasing him, though both keep hands on weapons.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#259 Post by Marullus »

"Ready the crank!" yells Deliah as she grabs the winch and waits for the cue to raise the portcullis together.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#260 Post by AleBelly »

"Thank you" replies the thief. "If you're in dire straits, allow me to give you a token of appreciation."

Very slowly, and stopping if it makes the humanoids nervous, he pulls three days of preserved rations from his pack.

3 rations deducted...but will add them if the orc get too nervous

He'll then descend the rope with his belongings and welcome Dorvar at the entrance...and of course, Mustard too.

Can he fit into the windows inside the tower? That is, can he climb up the rope to the others with Dorvar?

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”