Re: Expedition - Varas/The Dragon's Hoard - May 20, 1 VC

#281 Post by AleBelly »

Would it help ifVaras stayed with her?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#282 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar Thduum

Since you guys had more excitement today than I did, I'm fine with taking first watch, or even the first two watches.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Starbeard »

Odium Contemptus

'I will have final watch,' explains Odium. 'I will need to be up early to recollect my spells, anyway.'

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#284 Post by Keehnelf »

Yes, if Varas stayed with her it would likely calm her enough to allow her to rest.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#285 Post by Marullus »

"Varas... perhaps you could inspect the locked door upstairs as well? If we're spending the night and all..." suggests Deliah.

She happily follows whomever goes upstairs and provides the best chance of getting a nap. "If you two don't mind covering, both Odium and I can get a good rest and get us moving that much sooner."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by AleBelly »

Varas turns to Deliah. "We encountered the dead who walk earlier today. If I unlock the door, I would like to do so with well-rested spellcasters. I suggest we rest, and I will see what I can do about the lock after I wake tomorrow. Deal?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by Marullus »

"That's a good point," agrees Deliah. "Odd that they got back up like that, and with no evil priestly types found here after." She is content with any plan that includes her getting beauty sleep as soon as possible.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Keehnelf »

May 26, 1 VC -12:40am

The party separates itself, with the bulk of the group finding their repose upstairs in the winch chamber while Varas and Mustard rest at the bottom of the stairs where the landing provides access to the hidden door.

Varas' sleep is troubled early on by the faint sound of movement out in the main corridor. He crouches nervously, hand to blade, other hand on Mustard's neck to keep her still, as he listens to footsteps approach and then fade. Finally, sure that whatever has passed is not waiting to burst through the hidden door, he finds sleep.

Up above, some hours later, Dorvar is sitting with his elbow to the window that looks across to the darkened chamber in which the orcs and gnoll are presumably crouching in their own version of fear, when he is startled to sudden alertness by the sound of heavy footsteps in the main gate passage below, accompanied by husky whispers. It takes a long moment for his ears to perk up sufficiently to make out the sounds, but after a moment they resolve as the unmistakable tones of dwarven. He can make out at least two voices, one somewhat anxious sounding while another attempts to placate. From what Dorvar can hear, the speakers are aware that there should be hidden doors somewhere nearby, but seem unable to locate them.

On watch: Varas, Dorvar, Alfric, Frent [1d4] = 2

Please deduct one day's rations each.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by Marullus »

Deliah snores demurely, unaware of dwarves voices.

One ration deducted. Am I deducting for Alfric and Frent, too?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by Starbeard »

Odium sleeps through nightmares, clutching the chicken skull hanging around his neck.

One ration deducted.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by Keehnelf »

Only if Deliah wants to cover them--otherwise, they have food for now.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#292 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:Deliah distributes some fresh bread, cheese, fruit, and meat pies among her two companions' gear, making sure they eat plentifully of it during their repasts. Taking care of her people, she emphasizes. (-3 days fresh rations, 1 each)
I've been feeding them in hopes of a morale bonus for good-treatment. Is that actually a thing? :) I bought the fresh rations to continue doing so as long as they last (4 more days). If I stop at that point and we all make do with our own preserved rations, would the goodwill remain for the end-of-expedition?

(2 more rations deducted, 3 total)

Scott308

#293 Post by Scott308 »

Where are the voices coming from- inside or outside the gate/ portcullis? If inside, where are they in relation to where Varas and Mustard are? Does it appear the hidden door they are looking for is the one near Varas? They are speaking Dwarven- do they sound like dwarves speaking or is there possibly an accent that might betray them as being some other race? Can I make out any words, or just the general tone.

Deducted one day of rations.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#294 Post by Keehnelf »

The voices seem to be coming from inside the portcullis. They are between the hidden door and the portcullis, and don't seem to be dwarves--they speak with an odd accent that you can't quite place. You hear scattered bits of the conversation that you can make out, which is how you know they're looking for a hidden door and what their attitudes seem to be.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#295 Post by Keehnelf »

Marullus wrote:
Marullus wrote:Deliah distributes some fresh bread, cheese, fruit, and meat pies among her two companions' gear, making sure they eat plentifully of it during their repasts. Taking care of her people, she emphasizes. (-3 days fresh rations, 1 each)
I've been feeding them in hopes of a morale bonus for good-treatment. Is that actually a thing? :) I bought the fresh rations to continue doing so as long as they last (4 more days). If I stop at that point and we all make do with our own preserved rations, would the goodwill remain for the end-of-expedition?

(2 more rations deducted, 3 total)
Good treatment does not make a mechanical difference on morale during a given adventure, but it does determine the course of action the NPC is likely to take in a given situation when their morale is tested (whether it fails or succeeds). That means, a retainer treated well is unlikely to betray the PC or take a course of action that directly endangers the PC if they have been treated well, whereas a retainer treated poorly is more likely to throw the PC under the bus if they view it as contributing to their own safety when they break. When successful, they are more likely to engage in activities more in line with the intent of the PC's requests/commands, even if they view them as somehow risky personally, because they trust the PC to be acting on everyone's behalf. Conversely, if treated poorly even if they succeed on a morale check they will likely follow orders in the safest or most self-serving/preserving way possible.

At the end of an adventure, I also make a test to determine whether the NPC gets a morale modifier for future adventures with the hiring PC, which is modified based on the outcome of the adventure and how they are treated during it.

Hope that helps to clarify!

Scott308

#296 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar Thduum

Dorvar will quietly and carefully wake Deliah, whispering, Two voices downstairs, looking for the hidden door. Go wake Varas, while I wake the others. You can move more quietly than I can. He will then quietly wake Frent, Alfric, and Odium, explaining in hushed tones what he overheard.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#297 Post by Starbeard »

Odium wakes, and is disturbed by Dorvar's news. 'Burglars! Here to steal our treasure,' he whispers. 'Are they aware of us?'

He silently draws his short sword and prepares to join the others in ambush. 'Capture would be preferred. I do hope they scream well; it has been some time since I had my sadist tendencies satiated.'

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#298 Post by Marullus »

Deliah rises swiftly, composing herself and only taking a brief moment to check her hair in her hand mirror before tucking it away. "Alfric, Frent, take up arms and armor and follow me to the hidden door. Let us hope they do not find it, but if they do..." she trails off, taking the implication as obvious.

With Odium stating a desire for torture, she makes a small audible expression of disgust. She puts out her arm and Hermes lands. "You don't have to repeat yourself, I know you were right about him," she tersely whispers to the bird, then pads softly down the stairs to warn Varas as requested.

Scott308

#299 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar Thduum

After everyone has awoken, the dwarf will try to creep down the stairs where he will ready his axe, prepared to attack anyone that comes in the hidden door.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by AleBelly »

Varas wakes easily from his restless sleep, his hip still smarting from his fall the previous day. He whispers reassuring words to Mustard, hoping to keep her quiet. If he hears the door start to open, he will attempt to hide in the shadows in the hopes of getting a backstab in on whomever enters.

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”