Expedition - Lug/Exploration - May 20, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Lug/Exploration - May 20, 1 VC

#61 Post by Marullus »

Keehnelf wrote:Niles finds no fallen branches on the ground. Does he harvest them from the trees directly?
I assumed so. It would make sense that it needs to be green wood for life force magic, and dead dropwood wouldn't be acceptable. He asked Xavro for permission and directions and Xavro told him to begin his study of woodcraft - if there's any harm to doing it, I hopenit would be mentioned. As for method, I assume 'harvesting' includes taking branches rather than trunks in a way that is sustainable and won't kill the tree.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Keehnelf »

He didn't mention it because I missed the request in the initial post, and he had other priorities to communicate about. Xavro would unequivocally state that the jarban wood is not available for harvesting. If you want to learn about woodcraft, start with something simpler like a dandelion. (roughly paraphrasing him)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Zhym »

For context, here's what Lug had to do when he asked Xavro for a few lengths of jarban wood to make a bow.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Marullus »

Got it. If Xavro said no, he doesn't do it. Thanks for the clarification.

So, he gives no clues to anything useful except, "go talk to the lizard men?" All items are hid, we're not worthy, and he's dying so (justifiably) too tired to share information? Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Keehnelf »

To place them in their proper (non-snarky) context:

Xavro considers himself the steward of an ancient and delicate tradition and doesn't expect anyone coming in to it off the street to be able to uphold it effectively. He's communicated this clearly in many of his interactions previously, where he actively encouraged folks to get involved in it if they like, with the recognition that it's a calling and not just a hobby.

And yes, like other druids before him, he has distributed his goods that might be used for ill purposes after his death, to protect them and to protect the world from their misuse.

He's more than happy to provide information (see the long story he shared about Zyggmaur), just not to spend his dying moments getting someone started on the road to becoming a druid when there are others who could do that and actually be around to be a proper guide to the neophyte. He has no interest in opening a door for someone and then having no influence over what they do with the things they find behind it.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Marullus »

Oh, it is no problem. I get it. :) Since the guy is about to die, just making sure we took advantage of all chances to get info (we don't know of any useful tree type in this world BUT Jarban, for example), cryptic riddles to reclaim objects that will prove is worthy, etc. If we've exhausted the well, we can move on.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Zhym »

Lug isn't able to ask questions now, but if anyone wanted to ask if there's anyone else like Xavro around, or someone we can go to now to learn about land stewardship, etc., that might be useful. :)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Keehnelf »

Apologies, we both missed out the questions about the sword. He responds:

"Let me clarify about the sword. When any object is created, the spirit and will expended in its creation become concentrated and housed within the object. It is why the objects of men, elves, and dwarves stand separate from the natural cycle and, to a lesser extent, why the gods of the civilized folk stand apart as well...but that is a longer story than we have time for, I fear. When a normal object is destroyed, or decays, only a small amount of that will and spirit escapes to rejoin the Cycle, because only a small amount was housed there. You can craft a pointy stick in moments, with little thought, but a sword of great magic is another thing altogether...

"Wizards think that it is the magic of the item that is unleashed when it is destroyed, and in a certain sense they are correct. But it is simply understood as magic. The force is Intent. That Intent takes a certain form, depending on what it is, and what it is used to craft, and when it is released, many things can happen. When one crafts a sword, the Intent is violence, death. These are the things that escape when such an object is destroyed. And when inflected by a Chaotic will, the effect can be astounding. Depending on the nature of this sword, the force might simply slay those nearby. Or, it might sorely wound them, or alter them in some way, to bend them to their foul shape. Or, the force might dissipate harmlessly, if it has grown weak with age and disuse. I would gamble on the former rather than the latter, all else being equal. This is what I fear."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Keehnelf »

Marullus wrote:Oh, it is no problem. I get it. :) Since the guy is about to die, just making sure we took advantage of all chances to get info (we don't know of any useful tree type in this world BUT Jarban, for example), cryptic riddles to reclaim objects that will prove is worthy, etc. If we've exhausted the well, we can move on.
Goldspire trees have also been mentioned (see the thread zhym linked) as having properties outside the normal range.

And zhym--the only ones he seems to want to point to at present are the lizard-folk. Clearly others exist, but he's not calling them out at present.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Zhym »

Any advice on finding the lizard-folk and treating with them without getting attacked on sight?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Keehnelf »

That is definitely something a person could ask Xavro about, to be sure.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Zhym »

Someone please ask so Lug doesn't have to go back. It's so awkward to go back and talk to someone right after saying goodbye. ;)

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin will do it. :lol:
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Zhym »

Oh, thanks. That helps. :p

As long as Lug is asking by proxy, does Xavro have any idea where the sword might be stashed so no one will ever find it?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Marullus »

"Up in a tree. Nobody ever looks up."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin heaves a sigh as Lug asks him to return to Xavro and ask a few remaining questions. His heart is heavy as he walks slowly towards the tower in the ancient grove.

If he finds Xavro conscious and willing to speak, he will approach.

"Lord, I don't want to bother you any further but would you feel up to a few more questions? First, where would we find the Lizard Men, and how would we best approach dealing with them? And if we do need to hide the sword to keep it safe, how could we do that?"
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Keehnelf »

"The lizard-folk live across the river to the west. Their city, Gishra-Kan, sits on a low island in the center of a large lake surrounded by marshes. The temple of Gushu-Pitrak is two days' travel over the swamp to the north from there. The lizard-folk are insular but highly connected to their environment, and possess a strongly hierarchical shamanistic culture with their priests as heads of both government and temple, though the two are nominally distinct. As a result, they are extremely ritualistic and superstitious, and manage their interactions with other societies through a complex form of tribute and offering. If you wish to treat with them, bring them something of value--something highly ornate, preferably crafted by hand, that extols the virtues and strengths of the lizard-folk and their deities is best, adorned with objects of intrinsic worth such as semi-precious stones or precious metals. I will leave it to you to learn about their ways so that such an offering will be a sincere one, and not compromise their traditions and sovereignty by my intervention.

"As for the sword? There is no safe place for it, but gone--it will work mischief if left alone."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Zorroroaster »

With a rush of unexpected emotion, Orrin dares to lay one scarred hand on Xavro's shoulder. His voice is choked and guttural.

"Thank you. I'm...glad to have been lucky enough to know you. You have been more generous with your time and knowledge than we deserve. I hope to meet you again, one way or another."

He is unable to speak further, choosing to bow his head a moment in respect.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Keehnelf »

Xavro reaches up and pats Orrin's hand gently, smiling at him as he does so. "Grieve not for me--certainly not for my life. I have lived many times longer than you will, and have no regrets."

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#80 Post by Spartakos »

Galen thanks Xavro for his counsel, but it is clear he is troubled by the centaur's words, and is giving them serious thought.

With regards to the options for the sword, Galen is less conflicted. "While Koios advises seeing all options, sometimes the nearest and clearest course is the only safe one. Going to the lizardmen would seem a risky proposition, in many ways...we stand to lose not merely our lives, but the sword itself, which could cause much grief. I think we should destroy it now, while we have the chance."

Mainly wanted to say I'm good with letting Xavro pass on, if we wish to proceed from here. Oh, and I did deduct 2 days rations earlier, forgot to notate it.

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”