Expedition - Lug/Exploration - May 20, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Lug/Exploration - May 20, 1 VC

#41 Post by Keehnelf »

Oh right, and deduct two more days' rations.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Zhym »

Lug shakes his head in confusion. "I'm glad the grove is safe, and I guess if a person's gotta die it's good to be reborn, but—you aren't gonna be the same when you come back, are you? I don't want to lose my Xavro friend." The big man stares at the mossy floor, deflated, his enthusiasm for the Quest and his happiness to once again be adventuring with Orrin seeming like faint memories.

"I don't want to bother you with my problems when you're—you—I mean, y'know. But I guess it is important." Lug draws a deep breath as if preparing for an ordeal.

"Remember how when we were here what seems like ages ago but I guess was just last month, Orrin told you about killing Nine Tongues? Well, Nine Tongues had a nasty evil black sword that wailed like a banshee and made me freeze up hard. An elf called Numen took the sword as his part of the loot. You never met him. I don't think you'd have liked him, at least not after he got the sword. He said the blade's name was 'Hope' and acted like it was better'n sex and beer combined. We got into a big argument and our adventuring party split up. That was just before Orrin and I met you the first time and you had me climb a tree and gave me this bow. I've been good, too! Haven't shot at anything that shouldn't be shot at! You'd be proud of me!" Lug sniffles and wipes his nose with the back of his hand.

"Anyway, yeah. Later on, Orrin here runs into Numen inside the Finger when all hell's breaking loose. Numen still has that sword and is fighting on the side of the Black Wolf, and when the Black Wolf gets killed Numen starts calling himself 'Hair of the Wolf' and runs off. I run into him a little while later—this is just after the last time I saw you—and he puts the mojo on me to make me think he's my best friend and tries to get me running off on some mission he won't tell me about. Some of my friends stopped him. By killing him. Which made me really angry, and we fought, and then I gave Numen a funeral. But before I did, I stashed the black sword away so it wouldn't screw with someone else. Made sure not to touch it. The Arch-Duke Vaul, when he was alive, he wouldn't touch it either. He knew that sword was bad news."

"Sorry," says Lug. "I'm rambling and you aren't—I mean, I shouldn't waste your time babbling." He looks over at Orrin. "Long story, well, told, the sword is just outside your glade with more of my friends. Left it there because I figured you didn't want something that evil here. I'm on a Quest to destroy it. But I don't know how. That's why I came to you. You know about old stuff. Maybe you know how to destroy an evil sword?"

"So that's why we're here," he concludes. "Are you sure there isn't anything we can do to help you, though? Would the tree witch hair help? You always said it was powerful, but I'm too dumb to know how. There's gotta be something we can do. Right?" he asks uncertainly.

2 days rations deducted.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by KingOfCowards »

Bertram is visibly uncomfortable with the distrust that Lug implies towards him. He straightens his shoulders and closes his eyes to prevent them from rolling, but stays quiet.
2 days rations deducted

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Marullus »

Niles settles in with the others outside in the grove, waiting. He chews on some jerky and also feeds it to his wolfhound.

(-3 rations for Nihilius. 2 for him, two-halves for Ferris.)

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Zorroroaster »

2 days rations deducted.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Keehnelf »

Xavro chuckles genially despite the grimace that mars his smile. "Thank you, but I'm afraid the enchantress' hair can be used for no such purpose--it can be made to weave love, or lies, but not life. You know, it is not so bad, after so long, to look forward to returning to the Cycle. I had hoped to find another to take up this charge before I moved on, but I can rest easy in the bittersweet certainty that this forest is no longer infested with orcs and goblins...a bit of a black irony because the loss of the forest is the cause." He sighs. "There is nothing to be done: if it is left in peace, eventually it will regrow, and this grove you have spared will serve as the forest's ancient heart, should you or your descendants come seeking such a place."

His face darkens at the mention of the sword. "Yes, there are many such objects of power littering this land--crafted by man, dwarf, and elf in their hubris, believing they can tear asunder the natural order of things and remake it in their own image. Be warned, my friends, that the Powers of Law are no less guilty of these crimes than those of Chaos, though the form they take is often less offensive to the sensibilities of civilized folk." He smirks, ever so briefly, at this.

"To be sure, if you would end the danger such things present, you have two choices: to destroy or to reclaim. To destroy is simple, but in the end it is a loss to the world. The spirit expended in the creation of an object of power is a thing of beauty, rare and potentially eternal, no matter the purpose toward which it bent itself. For such a thing as a sword, the molten fires of yonder smoking mountain should suffice. Toss the cursed sword in, and watch it burn. It may be safe not too stand too close, as the energy will be released in its primal form back into the world, and unexpected things may occur with such a chaotic force.

"To reclaim is the nobler goal, but more difficult by far. To do such a thing would require one to reforge the sword under the moon of Gushu-Pitrak, the High Temple of the Lizard Folk, and quench the still-hot blade into the icy waters of the Heartwell that opens in the ancient plaza at the temple's foot. Such a task would be trying for the spirit of the one who attempted it, and the journey itself difficult: the caretakers of Gushu-Pitrak have not opened the temple gates to outsiders for a century."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Zhym »

Lug looks even more dejected. "Why is doing the right thing always so hard? I don't suppose a guy can just walk up to the caretakers of Goo-Shoo Pit-Rack and ask, 'May I use your forge, pretty please? I have an evil sword I need to reclaim.' Probably more people would die trying to do that than just chucking it into some lava."

"It's not all up to me, anyway. I brought four more friends along. They're with the sword. Some of 'em are really hoping to talk to you. Would that...be okay? Anyway, finding the high temple of the Lizard Folk is something we'd all have to agree on."

Lug remains for several minutes, not wanting to leave his friend, probably for the last time ever. Finally, he bows to Xavro and says, "Goodbye, friend. I'm gonna miss you. You're the only thing I've found so far in this whole stupid land that wasn't trying to kill me. Come back as something happy, okay? Maybe something that gets to rut a lot, like a bunny. A powerful, talking bunny." He sniffles again, wipes his eyes, and departs.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin keeps his head down throughout the exchange between Xavro and Lug.

"Thank you, Xavro. You have once again provided clear direction for us in a time of need. We have much to think of and plan. I hope to see you again, in whatever form nature allows for you."
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Zhym »

Lug realizes something. "Um, you said the Lizardmen of Goo-Shoo Pit-Rack haven't opened their doors for more than a century. So they've done it before? Whay'd they do it then? And where are they, anyway"

To avoid breaking up the dramatic parting scene, please consider the above to be inserted into Lug's conversation with Xavro before leaving. Thanks. :)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Keehnelf »

Xavro pats Lug's hand softly, assuming he is near enough. "Of course I will meet with your companions. I am sure they have questions best left unanswered that they would like to pose." He chuckles. "Yes," he continues, "once Gushu-Pitrak was called The Golden Temple, and true servants of the land would make pilgrimage there. After the Warden's tower first went dark, the land became a more dangerous place. The steady stream of pilgrims dwindled, and on one occasion the sacred ground of the temple saw bloodshed. The offending parties were thrown from the wall of the temple and the gates shut. To my knowledge, they have not reopened since."

His eyes close and he breathes deeply as the companions depart.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Zhym »

Lug returns to the edge of the grove. "Xavro's dying," he says quietly. "If you want to talk to him, now's the time."

"He said there's an easy way and a right way to destroy the sword. The easy way isn't all that easy and the right way might be impossible. We can chuck it into lava at the Finger and run like hell before it goes kablooey. But Xavro says that'll destroy something special and release who-knows-what. Or we can go to somewhere called Goo-Shoo Pit-Rack of the Lizardmen and recreate it in the forge there, but the Lizardmen haven't had an open house for a century and reforging a sword that doesn't want to be reforged isn't easy. I...I want to do the right thing, but asking Lizardmen if we can please use their forge to recreate a sword? We'd all have to agree to try to do that, and it would take us away from where Adrienne was last seen." Lug gives Bertram a look. "So I think maybe we have to chuck it and run."

"Sorry, Xavro," he says quietly.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin speaks, his tone distant and sombre.

"It is painful to see someone so powerful laid low like this. I guess one just has to hope that his rebirth is not in vain. He would see those of you who wish to speak to him before the end."

"Lug has the right of it - there are but two options on the table, neither one easy. If it arises that we are to attempt to reforge it, I think we would tackle that problem after seeing to Adrienne's whereabouts. Bertram was good enough to join with us on this part of the journey, it would be unfair not to continue with his."

"After that, I am deeply divided as to which course we should take. I can see merits to both paths, and so I believe we should vote on the choice as equals. You've all risked yourselves taking this quest on. We should hear what everyone wants to do. There are five of us, so there is no fear of a tie."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Marullus »

Niles takes his turn to speak with Xavro, when offered. "It is good to see that our efforts to dig the new waterway have done so much good for your forest," he smiles, trying to comfort. "I would study and continue such things, with your allowance. Do you still have the earth-moving stick, that I might do so? Could you advise me on the proper ways, and times, to harvest materials of the forest that I do not do so out of harmony? For example, is there Jarban wood that could be used safely without jeopardy to the grove? What other stones, trees, and plants should I seek or avoid in my study of nature and its magics? What good I may do after your passing, I would desire to do."

"What do you fear would be released from this sword? Is there ways to protect from it, or trap and contain it, if the sword were to go into the lava?" He looks to the others and then back to Xavro. "They've entrusted their care to me on magical matters, and I would know what can be told to fulfill that aim."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by hedgeknight »

Does Krysta know this centaur, Xavros?
Apologies if I do not remember...
:?

Once Lug and Orrin return to the group, and relay their message, Krysta walks to the grove to see Xavros the centaur. Approaching the gravely wounded protector of the glade, Krysta goes to one knee and bows her head.
"I have heard of your bravery and would like to try and heal some of your wounds...or at least clean them. I'm afraid if I don't...you...you...(clears her throat)...do you mind if I pray for you?"
Winter is coming...

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#55 Post by Spartakos »

Galen accompanies Niles and Krysta to meet Xavro; while he had sought to obtain the centaur's counsel on his own quest, when he saw the wounded horse-man, his face becomes sorrowful, and instead he questions him about his injuries. Unlike Krysta, he does not offer healing, but accepts the centaur's word that the blessings of the gods had no power over him (a troubling thought, if true).

After Niles speaks with him for a time, Galen does say quietly, "I have no wish to trouble your last span on the earth which petty questions...and yet, while I share grief with Lug for the loss of his friend, I grieve on my own part for the loss of the knowledge you possess. Do you know ought of a black tower, surrounded by a labyrinth? It lies many leagues to the south and east of here. A woman spoke from it."

Galen won't push, if the guy doesn't remember anything.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by KingOfCowards »

Bertram will sit down near to Xavro, quietly. He is in awe of the mystical energy possessed by this creature, and at the same time deeply saddened that his days are numbered.
"I am very sorry to trouble you in your final days. If you were but sick, I would wait before taxing you any further. Yet unfortunately, I don't know how we would communicate with you in your next form, and no one else can answer the mysteries of this strange land for us. What can you tell me of this being named Zyggmaur? He has captured someone close to me, and I hope to free her."

Humbled that he hasn't even a plan, he continues quietly, "I don't know how we can defeat him. I don't even know if Adrienne can ever be made whole again. But I have to try something. Any advice you could give would be a boon to us."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Keehnelf »

Xavro greets each guest kindly in turn. To Niles he offers a slightly pained look. "I am heartened to hear you ask after these things in the place of ambitions you carried before. Forsake that old way entirely, if you would save yourself, child. As for my things, and my knowledge: I have asked my friends to distribute what things of power I had accumulated, and deposit them such that only a being of discernment and sensitivity will recognize them. I am too close to death to share what I know, but this I can give you. There are still those within the land who follow the path of the wild and can share with you, if you are open and dedicated to such a path. The lizard-folk in the west are one such, if they can be persuaded. You can begin your study of woodcraft, and with time and patience and, especially, love, you might unlock the deeper mysteries of the wilds. Do not allow your old self to stand in the path of the new."

He greets Krysta and Galen quietly but with warmth. "My friends, you need not fear for me. As you take solace in your gods, I am eased and comforted that I am an unending portion of the great Whole that serves all life and the passions and ambitions that arise thereof. My pain is little, and it will end soon. Save your ministrations and your prayers for where they are needed." He smiles, to be sure his words are not taken unkindly. "As for the tower--I expect that this is the home of Batria, the former apprentice of the wizard Gervan. I say home: but truly I mean former home, as she was taken from that fastness by her master long ago to answer for her crimes. I suspect you will find nothing but misfortune if you venture there, and echoes of a shame long gone best left buried." He says no more on that subject.

(Response to Bertram later)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Marullus »

Niles thanks Xavro and departs when all responses are given. He harvests three staves of jarban wood to begin his study of woodcraft before they depart the clearing, lashing them across his backpack.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Keehnelf »

Niles finds no fallen branches on the ground. Does he harvest them from the trees directly?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Keehnelf »

In response to Bertram's words, Xavro's eyes close and he sucks air in sharply, grimacing as he does so. He is silent a long while, and almost seems disinclined to speak, until he places his good hand against his forehead and tightens his mouth, as if digging fiercely in the vaults of his ancient memory.

Finally, he speaks. "Zyggmaur, I have never met, all praise to the earth mothers. I have seen his work, but only once have I heard words spoken of him. I will recite to you, as near I can, as they were given to me."

He clears his throat.

"Zyggmaur came to us willowy and gold, like the men of the Iron Peaks in the far north. He came with wagons laden with fruit and crafted goods, rude but sturdy, as men might make, and claimed to be a merchant. The retinue he brought with him were of many types, but honest, and as Zyggmaur made his way among us he found a home here, and lived as one of us, though an outsider, for many years.

"Then the children began to go missing. Suddenly, inexplicably, they would vanish in the lower halls, in the upper halls, anywhere. All that could be found in our investigations were unexplainable scorches on wall, ceiling and floor where the children might have gone missing. Many times, but not all.

"I retained my chief Runecaster to divine the nature of these attacks, but some mystical force was interfering with his efforts to scry directly upon these scenes in the past. Finally, in desperation, I gave him leave to open the Gate of Shadows and pass through. He came back ancient and shriveled, near death, but he had seen through the eyes of the ancestors that it was Zyggmaur committing these crimes.

"You see, when my grandfather slew Delekon the red dragon upon the Plains of Weeping and broke the back of the Fire Tribe forever, he did not know of Delekon's ancient father, still sleeping below the fiery mount for eons. When he woke, finding his son slain, this beast--Zyggmaur, he names himself--came forth full of wrath and vengeance. He came among us unknown to wound us, as we had wounded him, and then to end us.

"I plotted for some time, knowing what I would face, and had all my rune-casters with their most fell magics craft a chamber in the mountain's heart from which no creature could escape on pain of death. I must try to slay the creature, and failing that imprison it forever.

"On the Bridge of Kalak-Amrikor I challenged him, I and fifty of my stoutest warriors, and all the casters who were not required to seal the door. All were slain but me, and I wrestled Zyggmaur, cheek to cheek, down into the fiery pit where he seemed only to grow stronger. With the last of my strength, I was able to hurl him through the door and close it behind, sealing him forever with his terrible screams in darkness and fire.

"There is but one key, Xavro, and like the door it opens it cannot be destroyed. I know you, and I know your resolve. With this terrible news I bring you the key, and ask that if any man or beast comes to you with a desire to open the door, you slay hem without question and without remorse. I have lost an arm, a generation, and all the magic of my people: I would not lose the rest to the corruptibility of men, the fickleness of elves, or the loyal trust of dwarves."

Xavro is quiet for a long time.

"I agreed, and the key to the Darkest Door, as the King named it, has resided here with me ever since. When I die, the key will remain, but it seems to matter little now, if that beast has found his way free already." He sighs deeply. "Ah, mournful ocean of time. There is no moment when the waves are calm enough to rest--but rest we must, and trust in others to hold the ship aright."

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”