Expedition - Lug/Exploration - May 20, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Lug/Exploration - May 20, 1 VC

#21 Post by Zhym »

"Okay!" answers Lug as he runs. "If you got a choice, leave the big'un for me! It's about time I Reasoned with someone my own size, don't you think?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by hedgeknight »

Krysta Kane

Krysta keeps mostly quiet during the first day's journey, but upon seeing the humanoids on the ridge, she quickly breathes a prayer to Pelor and hurries along after her companions. She readies her sling, but silently hopes she doesn't need it.
Winter is coming...

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Keehnelf »

May 22, 1 VC - 6:10pm

The party advances up the slope ahead, hoping to get a vantage point or angle of attack on the other group, but by the time they reach the top their quarry is already most of the way down the slope to the east. The group moves quickly, in a loose formation across the uneven ground, loping steadily but without haste, creating distance between themselves and the explorers, the taller figure once again taking up the rear.

The adventurers can see in the full light of morning that the larger figure is dressed in mismatched armor, with a long two-handed sword slung over one shoulder along with a large sack or bundle. Light pursuit causes the other group to retreat further, and eventually the party disappears out of sight among knotty hills to the east.

The group hunkers down out of sight to assess if the other group will reappear, but within an hour there is no sign so the adventurers continue onward.

The line of destroyed forest approaches rapidly after that, and before the end of the day the adventurers are seeking out a shelter under a cluster of fallen and burned tree trunks to pass the night. There continues to be no sign of pursuit from the unknown humanoids, and the party breaks camp in the morning to continue its journey to the north-northwest. The going is difficult through the rugged terrain created by the crisscrossing trees that have collapsed and broken, and the muddy ground softened with the addition of a significant amount of ash, but eventually the party sees a broad swath of living trees up ahead, perhaps a mile and a quarter across, which must be the outskirts of the territory protected by the prior expedition.

The group is forced to wade across a twenty-foot-wide stream that surrounds the forest, the tepid, murky water rising nearly to the knees of the human travelers. Beyond, the woods are abruptly quiet, but distant birdsong is insistent and pervasive--animals can be spotted darting from haunt to haunt ahead, squirrels and even deer. The party penetrates more deeply into the thicket and eventually arrives at the rise surrounding Xavro's grove--the squat and broken square stone tower dominated by the cluster of jarban trees that tower around it. The area is eerily quiet, but the adventurers spy an elk standing at attention near the tower, staring at them curiously, and a large family of raccoons resting under a jarban's outstretched branches is coming awake at their approach and peering sleepily in their direction.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin releases a long slow breath, like he's been holding it in for some time. His shoulders relax, although his eyes remain watchful as there is no immediate sign of Xavro.

"It is a most welcome sight. It is almost made more beautiful by the devastation that surrounds." He pauses, drinking it in. "Ok, I'm not sure what those of you who haven't been here before know or do not know. Xavro doesn't appreciate weaponry of any kind in his glade. It is...protected by him and so anyone entering should have no fear of attack. Why don't two of us disarm and go down to seek counsel, with the rest remaining here to guard the you-know-what?"

He jerks a thumb at the lockbox and chuckles a little to himself.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by KingOfCowards »

Bertram listens intently at Orrin's explanation, and nods.
"I can stay and guard the cursed sword. I would like to eventually meet this Xavro, but perhaps you venture in and see if he is here."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Zhym »

"Dang!" says Lug when the monsters get away. "I bet we coulda gotten some money for the big guy's head back in Vaul!"

When they reach Xavro's glade, Lug sets the box on the ground. "He doesn't mind you bringing most weapons in, as long as you promise not to use them," he explains. "He hasn't before, anyway. But this isn't most weapons."

"Hey, Xavro?" he calls out. "It's your pal Lug! Uh, sorry to bother you again, but we need your advice!"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Keehnelf »

May 22, 1 VC - 6:20pm

Lug calls out to the centaur. At the sudden noise, the elk starts, but does not flee. Instead, it raises its head very high, as though intently listening to some distant sound the party cannot hear. Finally, it begins to move slowly up the rise toward the party, stopping some twenty feet distant. It lows quietly, and snorts, then shakes its antlers over one shoulder. It seems to be beckoning. After a brief pause, it turns and heads back down the slope toward the tower.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Zhym »

Lug starts off after the elk, leaving the box with Bertram. "Don't R-U-N-N-O-F-T off with that thing, okay?" he asks.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Marullus »

Niles volunteers to enter as well. "I enjoy conversations with Xavro."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin unbuckles his sword and the rest of his arms and drops them to the ground next to the box. He follows after Lug towards the tower.
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Marullus »

If Orrin and Lug are heading in, Niles will wait with Bertram unless invited to accompany.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Zhym »

Lug waves at Niles to come along. "Come on! Bertram and Galen can stand guard outside."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by KingOfCowards »

Bertram will nod to Galen with a friendly look, "Go on ahead, I know you wanted to see this Xavro for yourself, and see what he knows about your labyrinth. I can handle watching this box."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Zhym »

Lug stops short of following the Elk for a moment. "Sorry. Maybe I'm being a jerk, but I don't think we should leave anyone alone with that thing. Maybe not even two people, just in case one decides to conk the other over the head and run."

"Maybe it's not that bad to bring it into the glade all locked up in the box? Xavro might even need to see it to know more about it."

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#35 Post by Spartakos »

Galen considers, then says, "No, I think prudence is well justified, friend Lug. Best leave it here...and with more than two guards, I agree. Why do not you and Orrin go and speak to this Xavro, and inquire as to whether we should bring the blade within, or if he might come hither to view it?"

"Krysta and Nihilius can stay with Bertram and I, to provide a strong guard...and not just against the sword's malevolence. Suppose more goblinkind were to come? I'd hate to see the weapon once more in the hands of evildoers."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Zhym »

"That's a good idea," says Lug. "I hope you still get to talk to Xavro. I'm a little worried that he isn't meeting us out here like he used to. I hope he's okay." The big guy lopes off after the elk.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Keehnelf »

Orrin and Lug head down into the grove after the elk. They are led to the entrance to the tower: a crumbling archway leading directly into a half-lit interior. The pair smell the faint odor of sweet sandalwood coming from within, and see the flickering of a low fire in the shadows cast by the lowering sun. Peering in, they see that the tower is entirely devoid of roof or even walls beyond fifteen feet above the ground. The outside, spotted with moss and lichen, is a vivid contrast to the interior, where throngs of climbing vines have coated every bit of stone surface and a thick and spongy carpet of verdant moss sheathes the flagstones that once comprised the floor.

On the far side of the only chamber, perhaps twenty feet square, the pair spies a low and dying fire in a stone ring, alongside which a bed of furs and leathers has been laid. Xavro rests atop this last, head bowed and eyes closed, breathing deeply but with a high rattling sound as he inhales. His beard is cut short, and his right arm has been blackened as if horribly charred in a fire up to the shoulder. Bandages and poultices are wrapped tightly around his bare torso as well.

After a moment, his eyes flutter open and he wearily lifts his head to the newcomers. "Ah, my friends," he whispers hoarsely. "You have returned. Many thanks again for your service to the glade--it has survived the fire and will yet prosper." His eyes refocus a bit, and he seems to recognize Orrin for the first time. "Ah!" he cries weakly. "You have been reunited. Then, indeed, your quest was not in vain. For this I give thanks." He smiles at the pair benignly but as if from a great distance.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Zhym »

Seeing his friend hurt, Lug forgets his quest for the moment. "Xavro!" he cries, rushing over to the centaur. "Are you okay? What happened? Do you need a cleric? We have clerics!"

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin tries to keep his emotions in check when he sees the extent of Xavro's injuries. He bows low, the better to hide the worry and dismay on his face.

"My lord. Is there anything we can do?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Keehnelf »

Xavro sighs. "I fear my injuries may already be too great--I was hurt, a bit, protecting the border of this glade from flames that penetrated in the northeast, but it was not much. The effect was sadly exaggerated by my need to bolster the trees that remain against the Heat. Diminished as their number have been, it was impossible for me to redirect their life-energies, so I was forced to rely on my own to bear the brunt of the damage. I will have to live with my wounds, or not. I have long since severed my ties with the gods and entered the eternal cycle of plant and beast, so their magics have no hold on my form, physical or spiritual.

"I believe I will succumb, ere long, but fear not: I will be reborn, and this glade will endure." He smiles warmly at the pair once more.

"But you did not come here to discuss my troubles. Come--you had a question to ask."

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”