Expedition - Lug/Exploration - May 20, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Lug/Exploration - May 20, 1 VC

#461 Post by Keehnelf »

"We encountered a dog-man fleeing from something in this direction--we assumed it was you, so we came this way. In what way can we aid you?" Kieros continues.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#462 Post by Zhym »

"Do you think they could catch the dog-man before it brings its friends?" Lug asks Orrin. "Or maybe they know how far away the dog man came from, how many friends it has, or who runs this area of the mountain? Heck, even a map would be a big help."

"I mean, if they wanted to join us and fight with us, that'd be great, but I wouldn't expect that."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#463 Post by KingOfCowards »

"We're also injured. If they have any aptitude for healing, it would be well appreciated.", Bertram chimes in.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#464 Post by hedgeknight »

"How did you enter this hold?" Krysta asks.
"Is there another way out?"
Winter is coming...

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#465 Post by Keehnelf »

Kieros nods and smiles. "We slew the dog man as he fled toward us. We left his body where it fell. We came in through the passage above, where you met us before. The way remains clear from here to there." He frowns and shakes his head as he is asked about healing. "Unfortunately, we have no power to heal. If you require assistance, we can move to a safer place and help watch over you, if you like."

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#466 Post by Spartakos »

If they know of a place safer than where we are, Galen is willing to relocate. Otherwise, they can join us here. If the gnoll is dead, we probably have time to rest and recover our spells.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#467 Post by Zhym »

Lug visibly relaxes. "Hey, thanks," he says through Orrin's translation. "I thought we was dead for sure cause the dog man would bring more friends back. Still, we'd better be where they haven't seen us. If you know a place that's safer than here, I'm all for it."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#468 Post by Marullus »

While the others inspect the hallway and discuss with the northern barbarians, Niles heaves, drags, and flops the dead enemies into the piles of spilled oil to make it easier to burn their remains when it is time to depart. He puffs and grunts, seeming very displeased with himself, muttering about next time and attention to chronophysical parameters.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#469 Post by KingOfCowards »

Bertram bandages his wounds as best he can before they move out again.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#470 Post by Keehnelf »

May 26, 1 VC - 3:00pm

The three northmen lead the party out of the area after they have a chance to pile up the corpses and set them alight, and regroup. The party travels swiftly down narrow halls of dwarven residences, further into the mountain and around corners. Eventually they reach a set of narrow stairs leading up that lead roughly back toward the caldera, but at the top a passage perpendicular to the stairs stretches left and right. The party heads right toward a pinpoint of light, passing by a number of doors standing slightly ajar or jammed closed by half-collapses of the surrounding stone, and then finds itself perched above the slope on which they had treated with Kieros and his companions some time before. There, with rope ready at the edge of the drop for easy escape, the group makes an uncomfortable but defensible camp in the late morning.

The northmen keep the watch, mainly, so the party members can rest, and those who remain awake see the sentry crouched near the lip of the passage tense up several times near and after mid-day, presumably as some threat passes below. As the sun begins to drift into the afternoon sky, those members of the party not memorizing spells, who have grown restless, are alarmed to see the sentry turn, face stern, and point below. Creeping to the edge, the party can see a band of more than a dozen goblinoids arrayed below: two ogres, six orcs, and seven gnolls. They are some distance away (perhaps sixty feet away and almost twenty feet below) but in plain sight of the passage, and they have obviously spied the party. As the party nears the edge, one of the orcs turns and addresses the group:

"Ho, intruders! You are trespassing on the territory of Sazik the Mighty! Come down and surrender yourselves to his judgment or face the consequences." He makes a motion to one of the ogres, that steps away from the group, scanning the ground in search of a large rock it can pick up.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#471 Post by Zhym »

Some hiding place! If we'd known this was what the northmen had in mind, I think we'd have asked to go somewhere else. After all, we spotted them here too.

Will we have had a chance to cast healing spells before the goblinoid patrol shows up?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#472 Post by Keehnelf »

Yes, but you don't have spells back yet (it's only been about five hours)--this place is safer than your other spot due to having multiple routes of escape. So you can choose to flee into the passage if you so desire, or if you get approached from within you can jump down or go down ropes.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#473 Post by Zhym »

Heh. I thought "safer" meant "more hidden" or "more defensible." An open field has lots of avenues of escape, but I wouldn't call it a safe place to rest. :)

Anyway, it seems like we fast-forwarded past a decision point right to the consequences of that decision. I think we'd at least have had a discussion about whether this spot was really better than the other one, especially if we thought we had time for Orrin to find a way to safely collapse the tunnel.

What's the layout of this area? Is there anywhere we could try the tunnel-collapse trick? If so, could we assume Orrin had been looking for a way to make the tunnel collapse safely?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#474 Post by Keehnelf »

My apologies--I'm so under the gun and behind schedule on posting that I just wanted to get us moving forward. I'm happy to rewind if you'd like to have the conversation given this was my slip-up.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#475 Post by Zhym »

Let's see if anyone else wants to rewind. If not, we'll just play it out.

I'm not sure how we'd play it out...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#476 Post by hedgeknight »

No rewinding needed for me. We put our trust in Keiros and friends and it is what it is. Let's talk about how best to fight or flee from these new threats and move on.

"Urgh...not...enough...rest," Krysta complains, waking to find themselves in hot water. She sighs and breathes a prayer to Pelor as she checks her gear, especially her supply of sling bullets.
"Since they are below us, what is the chance of sending some boulders or loose rocks down upon them as we make our getaway? Should we have to fight, at least being above them gives us the advantage, no?"
Winter is coming...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#477 Post by Zhym »

Is there a room arrangement here that could be used for the collapsing-tunnel trick? If so, Lug would've been okay with staying. He'd have asked Orrin to look for a way to safely collapse the tunnel. But he wouldn't have collapsed it yet—he'd have wanted to use that tactic as part of an escape plan.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#478 Post by Marullus »

Niles willingly followed the warriors, both foreign and domestic, to this new location. The night sky, the faint glow of the sulfurous caldera, not a bad place to sleep. That is, while he could sleep. Five hours? "Nrghflbrglm..." he mutters into the furry side of Ferris, his wolfhound. "No. Nope. Not getting up." He tries to roll over and ignore the situation.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#479 Post by KingOfCowards »

I say we move while we have the chance. Facing their wrath later sounds better than facing it now. Both are preferable to capture.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#480 Post by Zhym »

Yeah. I don't see a scenario here where Niles gets another hour of sleep. :D

I think the decision of whether to stay and fight or run away depends on whether we can pull the collapsing tunnel trick, whether the northmen want to fight or run, and how much of a tactical advantage we have from being 20' above our attackers. We have something like cover and this should be a pretty defensible position assuming we cut the rope down.

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”