Expedition - Lug/Exploration - May 20, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Expedition - Lug/Exploration - May 20, 1 VC

#1 Post by Keehnelf »

Before dawn, a party of adventurers gathers quietly under the northern gate of Vaul, a pair at first, then joined by another, and another, the solemn, burdened figures of the adventurers making their way in a slow and steady pre-dawn stream toward their agreed-upon place of meeting. Their leader, the massive figure recognizable from any distance as the warrior Lug, does a quick head count, then confers with a nearby dwarf before performing two more head counts and then shaking his head uncertainly and motioning for the group to move out.

They file out in a line, quietly, eyes toward the horizon, with just a single wave to the gate guard, who marks the following travelers among their company:

Lug, Breaker of Spiders
Orrin Lighthammer, once a prisoner
Krysta Kane, head of the faith of Pelor
Sir Bertram Helgeir, sad-eyed knight
Sir Galen, cleric of calm dignity

Please let me know your overland marching order, your direction of movement, and any special instructions on what you're looking for, etc. This expedition is now officially launched!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Lug/Exploration - May 20, 1 VC

#2 Post by Zhym »

Lug sets in a northerly direction, saying nothing for a long while. Keen observers of his departure would have noted a long, narrow box of sturdy construction strapped to his back. Two locks secure the box's latch.

When the group has traveled well out of sight and sound of Vaul, Lug says, "Well, you're in it with me now. Thanks for coming. I'm a crappy leader, so sorry about that. We'll need to lean on each other to do either of the things we set out for." He peers at the landscape ahead of them. "Let's head straight to Xavro. I been there enough times I oughta be able to find my way blindfolded by now. But I think I'll keep my eyes open. I hope his glade survived the fires."
Suggested marching order in the field:

Orrin Bertram
Krysta Galen
Lug

Orrin and Bertram's best weapons are close-range and they each have better AC than Lug. Lug has a halberd he can use to attack from the second rank and a fancy bow.

In tight quarters, single file:

Bertram
Lug
Krysta
Galen
Orrin

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin rolls his shoulders and tightens the straps on his backpack as they walk, slowly getting accustomed to the renewed physical exercise. He draws in a deep breath.

"You smell that? Clean air. Got so used to the stink of the city I had forgotten how sweet it is. To Xavro, and then...onward." He trudges along in silence a while before speaking again, his voice carrying to the back of the line.

"And it's 'Taalrondig,' you motherless halfwit. 'Taalrondig.' You roll the r, like so:" The rumbling consonant sounds deep and gravelly within his chest, like some distant dwarven machinery hard at work. "Literally, it means 'Fire Shield.' This Tall Ron fellow you keep going on about must have really impressed you somehow."

He smiles to himself and keeps walking.

Here we go! I feel positively Arthurian. :lol:
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

Lug laughs at Orrin's protests about his shield and slaps the dwarf on the back (reaching down low to do so). "I'm glad we're adventuring together again," he says.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin stumbles forward from the force of Lug's friendliness and attempts to cover it by casting an annoyed glance at an exposed tree root. He straightens up and continues walking, occasionally glancing over at Bertram.

"So. Knighthood. How's that feel? Didn't I hear that Court starts today? What are the town worthies supposed to do, apart from making small talk and sipping tea from fancy cups?" He attempts to smile good naturedly, though the effect is somewhat lessened by his scarred visage.
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Keehnelf »

May 21, 1 VC - 10:20am

I'll move things forward a bit as folks finalize their preparations in town.

The party heads north on Rhodri's Way for as long as the road follows their intended path, making good time. Usually the southern line of the forest would have appeared as a dark line on the horizon by the end of the first day's travels, but in the aftermath of the fire the party can see nothing as they set up camp after a long day's journey northward. A pall or haze hangs over the north, denser toward the broken Finger but stretching as far east and west as the group can see.

Breaking camp in the morning, the party adjusts its course slightly westward to aim for the estimated position of the grove--Lug, having come here when there was a forest to use for landmarks, has a moment of hesitation as the dim line of the former forest appears off in the distance--fallen trees and dried gullies make poor landmarks when he's used to the opposite...but if the grove still stands, it will be quite obvious from some distance, at least.

The party continues on, and watches as the mottled pale-and-dark coloration of the burnt forest's edge sharpens in detail as they approach. At mid-morning, they are descending a low rise (about halfway to the bottom) about two miles from the edge of the devastation when another group appears to the northeast, just topping a similar rise. The shadows of four humanoids appear and then suddenly halt, too quickly for the fifth, larger humanoid figure trailing behind to avoid revealing itself. If the initial four were normal human-sized, the other is likely eight feet or more. The entire group, upon spotting the party and collecting itself, scampers back down out of sight. The top of the ridge is about a hundred yards distant.

Please deduct one day's rations each.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Zhym »

Lug grabs Smurfgrill and runs to the other rise, about 100' to the west of where the other group was spotted, hoping to find out whether they ran off or are lying in wait.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Zorroroaster »

"Damn it." Orrin mutters as he pulls his shortbow off of his shoulder and lumbers after Lug.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by KingOfCowards »

Zorroroaster wrote:Orrin stumbles forward from the force of Lug's friendliness and attempts to cover it by casting an annoyed glance at an exposed tree root. He straightens up and continues walking, occasionally glancing over at Bertram.

"So. Knighthood. How's that feel? Didn't I hear that Court starts today? What are the town worthies supposed to do, apart from making small talk and sipping tea from fancy cups?" He attempts to smile good naturedly, though the effect is somewhat lessened by his scarred visage.
Bertram is quiet as usual, but in his silence he seems relieved to finally be out of the city. In answer to Orrin's question, he smiles. But something in his tone let's you know he is not joking, "I was hoping to hang a thief and murderer, actually. But I suppose that business will have to wait."

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Spartakos »

When Lug and Orrin hurry to gain vantage against the hastily departing humanoids, Galen moves to keep pace with them, readying his sling as he does so.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

I was waiting to go tower-searching with Galen, but he's here. :) Is there possibility for Niles joining in?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Keehnelf »

I don't believe so, unfortunately. There are probably opportunities for Niles to jump on with the Demi-human brigade chatting in the tavern.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Marullus »

Cool. Have fun storming the castle!

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by KingOfCowards »

Bertram draws his longbow and follows after Lug and Orrin.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Zhym »

Keehnelf wrote:I don't believe so, unfortunately. There are probably opportunities for Niles to jump on with the Demi-human brigade chatting in the tavern.
If this is because of how the group formed, I think Lug would like to have Niles along if he's interested. Is that okay, Keehnelf?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Keehnelf »

Sure thing.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Zhym »

Should I backdate an invitation, or do you want to integrate Niles some other way? The invitation would probably be less awkward. :D

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Keehnelf »

Go ahead and invite on the 19th :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Zhym »

I'll send a PM.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Marullus »

Nihilius and his wolfhound, Ferris, join with the others, quiet in the early morning mists where the walk begins.

When the humanoids appear, he purses his lips. "I can likely take the small ones with enchanted slumber, or the large one, but not both," he tells them as they all begin jogging, looking for guidance.

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”