Loot and Treasure 2

Keehnelf
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Loot and Treasure 2

#121 Post by Keehnelf »

He needs to resolve the current deal before he enters into another one that might influence the execution of the first.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Zhym »

It's a poor daemon* that can't handle more than one request at once. :P

Also, as the demon just said, there is no deal until someone else says "aye." If it's free to run off and join the goblin army, it's free to agree not to run off and join the goblin army.

* We don't need a cleric; we need a sysadmin.
"Now that I know your true process name, you are at my mercy!" says the BOFH. He begins to read the scroll. "kill -9 ..."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Keehnelf »

Zhym wrote:It's a poor daemon* that can't handle more than one request at once. :P

Also, as the demon just said, there is no deal until someone else says "aye." If it's free to run off and join the goblin army, it's free to agree not to run off and join the goblin army.

* We don't need a cleric; we need a sysadmin.
"Now that I know your true process name, you are at my mercy!" says the BOFH. He begins to read the scroll. "kill -9 ..."
It's not going to agree not to run off and join the goblin army until it has a signed deal that you guys are going to help it--otherwise it will probably takes its chances with the goblins.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Zhym »

If the demon agrees to Ulf's offer, it will have as many people agreeing to help it as if someone also agrees to his terms. Unless his terms are unfair or deceptive in some way, there is no reason to take one agreement to help him over another.

If the answer is "no," that's fine with Ulf. He'll be relieved. He can't believe he's actually offering to make a deal with a demon anyway.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Keehnelf »

He's already proposed terms for the current agreement, and there is no clause about waiting involved. Ulf can take those, or he can wait until the current bargain is struck (or fully abandoned) and then make his own agreement with it. That's how it works, for better or worse.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Zhym »

You left out a third option.

Ulf knows what to do with take-it or leave-it offers.

"I'm done here," he says as he collects his share of the coin. "My offer is rescinded. I was an idiot to make it in the first place. A bargain with a demon? What kind of fool am I for attempting such a thing?"

"I hope you know what you're getting yourselves into," he says to Abi, Constance, Martin, and Seadu, "but I seriously doubt that you do. Nonetheless, I wish you success. I hope everything goes well and that the demon does not betray you. If you choose to stay here long enough to help defend the town, perhaps I will join you when that is done, if the demon has proven itself worth assisting. If it does not..."

Ulf turns to the demon wearing Bromric's body and speaks in dwarven.
"If not, may your stay in this plane be an everlasting and excruciatingly painful hell."
He turns and leaves.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Keehnelf »

That was always an assumed option :)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by hedgeknight »

Speaking of coin, exactly what is each character's share? Maybe I missed that somewhere in all this demonic wrangle.
Winter is coming...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Zhym »

I suggested 550 each except for Mokatah, who gets the remaining 81.5 gp because he is receiving two magic items. So far everyone has agreed, but we haven't heard from YamItheonly1 yet.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#130 Post by KingOfCowards »

Bertram will stick around to see where this goes. Though he shakes his head, disappointed, when his longtime ally Abi agrees to join the demon's quest.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#131 Post by Spartakos »

Galen waits as well, wanting to see how this plays out...and not wanting to leave his comrades until matters seem somewhat resolved. He stands back with arms folded, spine straight as a spear.

By the by, I don't believe we ever stated where we were splitting loot; I'm going to say Galen rented a suite so we could handle things.
1 gp deducted for suite for 2 nights, plus tip, assuming one is available.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Keehnelf »

One is certainly available before the night of May 3.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Marullus »

Fine with that split. So, we each record 550+10=560gp?

We're just waiting for YamItheonly1 to post, right?

We arrived on April 27th. Assuming we handled things expediently, we could allow 2-3 days for people to handle business and depart on April 30th. If the army is a week or two out from May 3rd, perhaps we can do the quest and return in time for the war storyline. (I really hope so.) Any issues?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Keehnelf »

The hobgoblin's statement suggested about two weeks from the 27tj, just to make sure there is no confusion.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Starbeard »

That would put the attack somewhere around the 11th of May. If we depart on the 30th, that gives us about 8-10 days to get there and (hopefully) get back just before the army arrives. Does anyone know how long the trip is each way?

EDIT: I just looked at Spartakos' latest map and the Finger is 3 hexes away: 1 marsh, 1 forest, then the Finger. The scale is (I think) ~12 miles to the hex, so at 36 miles, we should be able to set aside 2-3 days to get there, 2-3 days to adventure, and 2-3 days to get back and be okay—unless, of course, the hobgoblins decide to attack early. However, if the terrain makes it 3-4 days to travel to the Finger, I think we might be pressing our luck at getting back in time for the battle.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#136 Post by Dogma »

Starbeard wrote:However, if the terrain makes it 3-4 days to travel to the Finger, I think we might be pressing our luck at getting back in time for the battle.
or it sets us up to chrage in at the end and save the day ala Gandalf and the Rohirrim at Helms Deep!

Could we buy horses with our new wealth to make travel faster?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Keehnelf »

There is only one horse currently available for purchase in town, until the next scheduled caravan arrival on May 15.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Starbeard »

Seadu paces back and forth as the Free Bromric Fellowship go over the logistics of their new expedition.

'I could ride my mule and make extra time, but I would have to travel light, and that still wouldn't provide enough mounts for everyone. I suggest we invest in the extra horse anyway, as a pack animal. It won't slow us down on the way there, and we can split the weight of whatever we find between the horse and my mule, to keep good time on our walk back.'
Dogma wrote:
Starbeard wrote:However, if the terrain makes it 3-4 days to travel to the Finger, I think we might be pressing our luck at getting back in time for the battle.
or it sets us up to chrage in at the end and save the day ala Gandalf and the Rohirrim at Helms Deep!
Now I'm really hoping that happens!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Zhym »

BTW, after all that—did anyone bring back the chipped emerald that was stuck in Quirin's eye in the chest out in front of the tomb?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:BTW, after all that—did anyone bring back the chipped emerald that was stuck in Quirin's eye in the chest out in front of the tomb?
Bromric sure did not - he wouldn't even LOOK at that chest.
Starbeard wrote:Seadu paces back and forth as the Free Bromric Fellowship go over the logistics of their new expedition.

'I could ride my mule and make extra time, but I would have to travel light, and that still wouldn't provide enough mounts for everyone. I suggest we invest in the extra horse anyway, as a pack animal. It won't slow us down on the way there, and we can split the weight of whatever we find between the horse and my mule, to keep good time on our walk back.'
"I will ride on Bromric's pony as well, so these short legs are no burden," says the Visitor with Bromric's voice... and legs.

My understanding of LabLord rules is that mounts move at the same rate as tall people, so the only difference for them is encumbrance. Mounts DO double the movement for short races, though. If we potentially have a mule and horse (in addition to Bromric's pony) it might be best to put other short people on them. GM?

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”