Expedition - Varas/The Dragon's Hoard - May 20, 1 VC

Keehnelf
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Varas/The Dragon's Hoard - May 20, 1 VC

#41 Post by AleBelly »

"Speed is life, Alfric. You just gave them more time to use you as a target" suggests Varas. He looks approvingly to Frent. "Good work. Very brave."

In hushed tones he addresses the others.

"I don't think a lone dipshit would shoot at us, rather he would run. But from what I know of them, they wouldn't hide if they were superior in numbers. Now we know where they are, I'd like a closer look at that camp. Anyone else with ranged weapons in for a walk?"

Can we estimate their numbers from the campsite? How many tents are there?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Keehnelf »

There appear to be five tents, probably designed for two occupants apiece.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Starbeard »

Odium sucks on his foul teeth as they count the tents. 'I would advise against it. If we outnumber them now, it is also possible they have more out hunting, or whatever it is hobgoblins do, and once they return they will outnumber us. Our tactical advantage relies too heavily on a series of unknown assumptions. The one strategy that requires the fewest assumptions is to retreat in good order and continue on our journey with a strong rearguard.'

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#44 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar Thduum

The dour dwarf checks on Deliah. I did not realize how lucky we were to have more than one cleric with us on previous journeys, Varas, until now. Facing combat without healing available is much different than when you know you have divine assistance. He takes a moment to consider their circumstances. I am willing to investigate the camp, but don't want ta spend too much time doin' so. I think Odium is right, they will be back and in larger numbers than we should take on, especially with a mage down. If the rest of you would rather stay here, ready to leave if it becomes necessary, that is fine. Someone has to watch over Deliah, anyway.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by AleBelly »

Varas considers the likelihood that wealth lies within the camp. He considers Odium's and Dorvar's counsel, and for once makes the wise decision.

"Yes, let's give them a wide berth and continue onwards. Though I cannot say we won't be followed. But what to do with Deliah?" He stares at the fallen mage for a while, then rummages through her pack, looking for to see if she has a healing elixir.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Marullus »

(Natural healing rules say.... If you camp and rest she will wake in six hours and regain 1d3 hp in 24 hours... She can't be moved at negative HP's, but she's only at zero. So, perhaps she can be carried until camp time without harm and just doesn't start the six hour wake up clock until you rest at camp?)

Scott308

#47 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar Thduum

I have some sticks we could use to make a sling to move Deliah with. We'd want to carry it for a while. Dragging it would make it too easy for them to track us. Dorvar will start trying to fashion something with rope and the sticks he has for impaling goblin heads. If anyone wishes to offer help, he will be glad to accept it.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Keehnelf »

May 21, 1 VC - 7:30pm

The party withdraws from the area after some deliberations about whether to investigate the camp further. As they circle north around the area, they see no sign of pursuit nor, indeed, of other inhabitants of the camp, and they haul Deliah off to find a safe shelter under which she can recuperate. After two miles, well out of sight of the site of the encounter, they take a pause and wait through the afternoon under the shade of a lone bare-branched and withered tree in a gully. As the sun sinks low in the west, Deliah's eyes flutter open and she moans softly.

Please deduct one day's rations apiece.

Please note that Deliah is at 0 HP and will not regain HP via natural healing while the party continues adventuring.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by AleBelly »

If we rest here can she regain health? If so Varas will suggest resting and hunting for a day.

1 day's rations removed

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Keehnelf »

Yes, resting there for the entirety of the following day will get her a day's healing.

Scott308

#51 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar Thduum

I think we should set up camp and spend the day here. Until Deliah is able to recover and move on her own, we'll be at a huge disadvantage. As long as we'll be here a while, might as well send a couple people to see if they can track down something for dinner. Any volunteers?

1 day of rations removed.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by AleBelly »

Varas pulls a flask from his bag, uncorks it, and pours a sip into the mouth of Deliah. He doesn't seem happy about it.

When Dorvar speaks, the lanky cutpurse perks up a bit. "Nothing stands a chance against your crossbow and my longbow" he smiles.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Starbeard »

Odium shrugs unhelpfully. 'I have no ability or interest in woodsman's matters. I will stay and keep the camp in order.'

He spends the day tending camp and resting his legs.

-1 ration

Scott308

#54 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar Thduum

All right. Let us see if we can find something. The rest of ye can continue making camp and watchin' for any unwanted visitors. The dwarf readies his crossbow, nodding to Varas that he is ready to head out.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Marullus »

Deliah awakens, her initial alarm and fear abating as she realizes they have moved her away and made camp in the obscured gully. She is initially disheartened at her plan's failure - clearly weighing disappointment against her unrealistic expectations for her first foray beyond a city's limits.

Her raven quorks at her, flapping to her now that she is awake. "I know Hermes, I DO feel like a bird. They shot before even trying to talk. Yes, yes... we would expect intelligent conversation, wouldn't we?" She strokes his head and feeds him pieces of bread. "Yes, we fly away first. I know. It is good advice."

She rests the next day, showing considerable recovery by the next evening's dinner. She helps cook a stew to ensure a hot meal as they take the break for it, accepting ingredients from others but bolstering it with substantial amounts of her own fresh food stores. "Alfric, Frent, you are indeed loyal companions, and I am grateful for you bearing me out of there during this first test of our mettle. I hope a good hearty stew shows the beginning of my gratitude," she says to them as she ladles them bowls.

Deliah natural healing [1d3] = 3
-3 rations for Deliah and two retainers (treating them well)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by AleBelly »

If Varas isn't there when Deliah wakes, he'll make this remark later..

Varas, bemused, sees Deliah wake. "I think that just about ends your scouting career. Concentrate on casting spells and leave the sneaking to the experts. Got it?"

He heads off to hunt with Dorvar

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Keehnelf »

Alfric, who has been silent during the journey north following the encounter with the hobgoblin, simply grimaces when Deliah provides him with his meal, casting a look over his shoulder toward Odium as though seeking a confirmation that it is okay for him to do so.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Keehnelf »

May 24, 1 VC - 10:30am

The group sets up camp for the night with the intention of allowing Deliah the time to rest for the following day while some others in the group hunt for food. Around 4am, as Varas is on watch, he catches sight of a pair of wolves crest a rise some way distant, outlined by the moonlight. They cast about in all directions, and sniff the air, but either they do not catch a scent of the party or they judge the group too large to target, and eventually they move on.

The following day dawns bright and clear, and the party divides so Varas and Dorvar can find food while the others discuss their path and rest. The encampment is placid until near sundown, when the two hunters return with the body of a boar they found in a hollow that must have been a refugee from the burnt forest. It provides enough food to support six travelers for the day, meaning that no one has to dip into their rations to accommodate the stopover.

Deliah healing [1d3] = 3

The next morning Deliah awakes much refreshed, and the wait proves to have restored her to full health, the injury that felled her being not especially life-threatening in the end. (she is now at full HP)

The party continues north-northeast toward the mountain, partyway through that day arriving at the edge of the burnt forest where their progress is immediately slowed by the terrain strewn with fallen and damaged trees, far more cumbersome than the undergrowth that could previously be chopped or pushed aside. Eventually, however, keeping their eye trained on the smoking mountain ahead, the group manages to arrive at the southwest slope of the edifice, rising almost sheer out of the broken landscape below to the dizzying heights of the mountain's most intact section. There is no immediate sign of a place of entry in this area.

(Please deduct one day's rations each)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by AleBelly »

Varas takes in the view of the mountain for the first time. He is speechless. What majesty. He is disappointed to find no obvious entrance, but then, nothing in the West Marches has been easy.

He looks back to the trees. Can he climb one to get a more expansive view of the face to look for other entrances?

He looks at the base. Will riding Mustard along the edge of the wall gain him any speed?

Varas will prefer to climb the tree to scout, but is also happy to scout ahead with his horse.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Keehnelf »

The trees are all so burned out that it is a rare one to be found--those that remain have no branches for the first twenty or so feet of their height, but could be climbed by a very skilled climber (such as a thief).

Riding Mustard alone in the shadow of the mountain would definitely allow him to travel faster than the rest of the group, as long as she isn't too burdened.

Also, I totally forgot that Varas had never been to the mountain! Probably a few in this group have never been there, I suppose...

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”