OOC III

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: OOC III

#261 Post by FantasyChic »

I would like to actually be a part of a game from the get go, considering I joined at the start of all of this and then I died.
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by tooleychris »

It can be difficult for a DM to gauge how tough an encounter could be with so many PCs involved. Making the quarters too tight for fighting is probably the hardest obstacle we faced here. That and some pretty good rolls for the critters spelled doom. I think this is a good experience. Kobolds continue to live because they fight smart and use their size and surroundings as an advantage instead of disadvantage.

If you're gonna switch systems, Dave, check out Basic Roleplaying Magic World from Chaosium where characters are limited by their players imagination instead of levels. Get out of the WoTC rut before it consumes you! :twisted:

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#263 Post by Alethan »

From other forum posts, I think he's set on a Basic game rule set. Or LL, which is the Basic retclone.

I'd still be in for that.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#264 Post by dmw71 »

tooleychris wrote:If you're gonna switch systems, Dave, check out Basic Roleplaying Magic World from Chaosium where characters are limited by their players imagination instead of levels.
I don't think I'm going to make that significant a jump. Alethan is right, in that I recently re-read (or really read for the first time) the Moldvay Basic rules, and that will be my next move. Or, again, like Alethan said, the Labyrinth Lord (LL) rules. I've actually been preparing an adventure on Roll20 for the last three weeks or so which uses LL, which is the biggest reason I'm using it instead of the actual BX rulebooks.

Aside from a brief dalliance with Pathfinder (which is basically 3.5), I've only ever played D&D in some variety, and I suspect that will always be the case. I'm too old, and too tired, to try and learn a new role-playing game from scratch when the one I already know works just fine for my interests.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#265 Post by dmw71 »

As for the final encounter, there were four giant boars set to defend the area (it was an important area for the kobolds, as the king was in the next room, and they also had a 'cave of wonders,' which is where they stored all the eggs for their offspring, just beyond the illusionary wall). It was heavily guarded, and I still believe rightfully so.

Once I realized how dangerous the boars were potentially going to be, I made sure to have one of them (#3) wander off in the opposite direction without a roll (DM prerogative), and made the final one roll for its decision (even though all four, technically, were in place to attack the intruders -- you). After its roll sent #4 off after the other one, I really thought you guys would have a good shot. There was a lot of bad rolling, including poor damage when you did mount successful attacks. When Fulp and Sparrow both dropped in the same round... that's when I suspected the group was in trouble, but still not guaranteed failure. Ciar had plenty of hit points, and it took a massive critical hit to do him in.

Again, just tough luck in a dangerous encounter.
-- Project --
-- DM --

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#266 Post by saalaria »

Thanks Dave - as always an intruiging adventure!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by onlyme »

WTF??? I leave y'all alone for a week, and come back to this?

I am sure once I have my coffee and finish ignoring my work emails, I will have some useful opinions.

Great adventure as always, Dave.
Oh, I wanted Fulp to succeed. He had so much going for him in his life, nearly supernatural dexterity, wisdom, strength... oh, but not much skill in how to swing weapons...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#268 Post by saalaria »

I think I had most of the others pegged Only, but what class was Fulp? I couldn't decide

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by onlyme »

saalaria wrote:I think I had most of the others pegged Only, but what class was Fulp? I couldn't decide

It depends on when...

He started as cleric, and dual'd to thief. He was going to dual once more to fighter for life... I was hoping to have a fighter with just enough weapon/toys to be a complete BA... Unfortunately, that left him as a 1st level thief in that final battle, though with a decent amount of HP for such a PC.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#270 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Now that the pain has diminished somewhat.....

Thanks for the great game Dave! I wasn't a big fan of the ending, of course, but I can definitely respect the amount of work that you put into your games.

It was very fun while it lasted.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#271 Post by dmw71 »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Thanks for the great game Dave!
I appreciate it, man. Looking forward to starting up what will hopefully be another great game.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Dave's 2E Sandbox”