Town I: Estwatch

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Town I: Estwatch

#141 Post by Starbeard »

Keehnelf wrote:I thought you were striving for success :)
I'm confused now. Since I spent 2D in cash, and my roll only failed by 1, then the amount of cash I spent protected me from failure because it was higher than the failure margin. So the Fate point re-roll was wasted, right? Even if I had used the Fate and succeeded, it would've had no game effect at all. Of course, it's entirely up to the GM on whether or not the Fate expenditure still stands, and I'm happy to burn a Fate point—call it a lesson learned in how to play the game.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by Starbeard »

And also,

Raizenbrayne, being who he is, is most interested in the barrow, but is also growing excited about the prospect of demon hunting (no fear!). He will, however, default to returning to Damring to explore its mysteries further, as there are still plenty of things left unexplained there. He will happily tackle the wizard tower with the cleric once she's been 'tested' through an expedition to one of their target spots.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Keehnelf »

Starbeard wrote:
I'm confused now. Since I spent 2D in cash, and my roll only failed by 1, then the amount of cash I spent protected me from failure because it was higher than the failure margin. So the Fate point re-roll was wasted, right? Even if I had used the Fate and succeeded, it would've had no game effect at all. Of course, it's entirely up to the GM on whether or not the Fate expenditure still stands, and I'm happy to burn a Fate point—call it a lesson learned in how to play the game.
Upon careful consideration, I realize that he system is designed so that failure while spending sufficient cash is Almost Indistinguishable from success, with the one exception that actual success will net you an increase in your Resources score.

My assumption would be that, only one success shy of what's needed for a permanent bump in your long-term buying power you'd take the risk of the Fate point, but I will make it your call.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Starbeard »

Keehnelf wrote:
Starbeard wrote:
Upon careful consideration, I realize that he system is designed so that failure while spending sufficient cash is Almost Indistinguishable from success, with the one exception that actual success will net you an increase in your Resources score.

My assumption would be that, only one success shy of what's needed for a permanent bump in your long-term buying power you'd take the risk of the Fate point, but I will make it your call.
That sounds fair enough. I don't imagine Raiz being too flippant about his unpaid debts, after all. Consider it a Fate point wasted for a good cause!

Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#145 Post by Simon »

So what are we thinking for a next move? I'd say Harlan is still looking for a little more financial security than he's got at present and would be willing to try for a targeted raid of Damring, now that they know a little more about the location, maybe try and scout some information on the orcs that might be of value to the Mayor? Did we mention the orcs to the mayor?

In particular Harlan has been thinking of the engraved tablet that they came across. Its a little cumbersome, but now that we've got four people and some fate points clinking around I think its within reach.
A little bit of damage is good for the system
-Tehching Hsieh

Harlan Wax, Halfling Burglar - Flickering Light (Torchbearer)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom is up for anything that puts the Pilgrim in people's minds again. Bringing the engraved tablet back might create some buzz.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Keehnelf »

Ok, sounds like the consensus for now is Back to Damring! I had thought we were done with that place for a while :)

But I am glad to present the rest of its challenges and treasures to our bold adventurers! I'll get things started later today.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by sulldawga »

You probably shouldn't have mentioned the treasure your F2F group found that we missed. Now my interest is piqued.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by Keehnelf »

Haha :) It's maybe not worth a whole adventure unless you plan on trying to recover what the Bale is guarding, but it's something anyway!

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by sulldawga »

Perhaps that's worth discussing.

We might decide that going back to the Damring Temple isn't worth it at this time, as we should only go back if we feel we can kill the Bale. Especially with the meta-gaming info that the GM just gave us.

Maybe the Barrow is a better choice for us at this level?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Starbeard »

I haven't attempted to switch out Raiz's belief, so he's still got his youthful invincibility complex. Now that he's safely away from danger, that bale poses no threat in his mind. He's also already used the book twice, so he's getting pretty close to Pilgrim-induced piety, and will lean in the same direction as Agrom regarding interest in recovering more holy relics, I think.

I say we at least give Damring one more shot, now that we actually have a useful healer with us. Even without a map we'll move somewhat more quickly because we can retrace our steps, and there's still an item or two we left untouched that might bring in enough gold to pay for recuperation from the trip and help better equip us for the other expeditions.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by sulldawga »

All right, let's do Damring.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Keehnelf »

Ok, now that we've gone in that tidy circle, I will put something up late this evening or tomorrow morning.

Return to “A Flickering Light (Torchbearer)”