The OOC Tavern

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: The OOC Tavern

#141 Post by KingOfCowards »

My two cents. I guess I'd like to think I am open to new gaming systems, but maybe in my old age I am just too use to old-fashioned D&D and its many forms. I enjoyed trying out Dungeon World, and instead of making a list of complaints, I'll just say that I've just come to the realization that its not for me.

It's hard for me to separate the system from the GM a bit, but I personally think you were handicapped by a low roster of characters. I believe you make a good GM and I would like to see how you do with another platform. My only negative feedback is that I think you may have been too soft allowing Boggs to barely hang on to life long enough to be healed. It feels weird saying that, because you were probably trying to do me a favor. But I'm the type of player who enjoys the finality of death, it makes cheating death all the more fun.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by Pulpatoon »

Kanye, thanks for the link to the DW Guide. I'm finding it helpful.

Not to disrupt the flow of the campaign review, but as both an exercise in curiosity and in trying to understand DW better, I decided to see what an Onocentaur might look like. I made it a racial option that could be applied to other classes. When I have more time (and have figured out the game more), it'd be interesting to make it as a Class by itself.

Anyway, those of you who know the system, please let me know if this is more or less the right approach:

Onocentaur
A donkey from the waist down, a human upper body, and long, shaggy donkey ears. Onocentaurs are civilized, if rustic, usually living among or near human communities and working as drovers or laborers.

Onocentaurs are too earthy and practically-minded to be spell-casters or nobles.

Names: Ajax, Bill, Buck, Clarabelle, Dorothy, Homer, Huckleberry, Jack, Nestor, Neville, Pearl, Pete, Petunia, Sally, Sam, Stella

Demeanor: Foolish, Dour, Determined
Coat: Shaggy, Groomed, Scarred
Body: Thin, Fit, Overfed

Highest Attribute must be CON.
(this seems like the easiest way to model high hit points and endurance without adding a bunch of static bonuses)

Load: +50%

Stubborn: Whenever you continue with a course of action even when circumstances change to make it seem unwise to do so, carry +1.

Non-mechanical narrative stuff:
Nearly everyone thinks Onocentaurs are fools, especially their wild cousins, the Centaurs.
Their donkey-sized body is often inconvenient, such as when hiding or climbing a ladder.
They get along very well with domesticated animals.
Kick and gallop as a donkey.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#143 Post by mb. »

Pulp: it's interesting you bring this up now, and it'll shortly be very relevant as I've got some ideas for how we might continue. But for now let's get through the review and come back to this, okay?

Thanks for the review so far everyone! I've got a some more detailed ideas and questions, and am mulling over how to put them together, so it'll be maybe a day before they appear.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: The Digestion of Urbem

#144 Post by mb. »

I'm totally open to how exactly we go on with the game, but of course I have an idea. ;) I've found an exciting supplement to Dungeon World called The Planarch Codex: Dark Heart of the Dreamer. It's wild and creative, inspired largely by Italo Calvino's work, and makes almost any kind of play we want easily possible, with lots of opportunities to change direction at will. If any of you are interested, the PDF costs $5. It's one of the most interesting RPG supplements I've ever read, and you reading it won't give away any secrets.

Note: I don't want to hijack your expectations and drive the game in a direction you won't enjoy. Please do speak up if the ideas below don't appeal!

Here's the basic premise:

The city of Dis is a living thing, hungrily devouring all the planes it touches. In the lost or forgotten parts of any decadent civilization—its deserted ruins or squalid sewers—Dis has already begun its conquest, absorbing and remaking things, but also taking on the traits of the worlds it digests. Adventurers aware of this invasion use the city’s beachheads to travel between the planes, simply by journeying through Dis. The city has already consumed dozens of planes, and refugees from countless worlds fill its streets. Where else is there to go? Plus, grotesque as it is, Dis now contains the last remnants of Urbem, your home.

You returned from your adventure triumphant, to find Urbem drastically changed, in fact most of the city was gone, replaced by the bizarre parishes of Dis. Because playing in Dis as it is will be the most interesting, I'd fast forward a few months: you've had a wild time adjusting and learning how life works in the surreal city of Dis, and mourning what you've lost in Urbem, but also finding what remains of it and discovering new wonders.

One of the basic parts of playing in Dis is that you can create characters that are what would normally be called monsters, so two questions for each of you to answer:

1. Are you happy to play in Dis, or would you prefer to continue in a more vanilla fantasy style?
2. Would you like to keep your existing character, or create a new, stranger character? Either is fine.

Answer those, and we can spend a little time tying you all into life in Dis.

By the way, the excellent images above are by Ben Sack and you should really check him out.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Pulpatoon »

You had me at Italo Calvino.

I think i'll stick with Oelle, for now, but should he snuff it, I'd love to try a monster.

Kanye Westeros
Tracker
Tracker

#146 Post by Kanye Westeros »

I love planarch codex.
And I'll keep.Aziza for now, but if it's ok, I'll switch her racial move out for a Heritage move (which I feel is superior to race)
Hey yo, I'm really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but...WINTER IS COMING.
Aziza Faster-than-Death - The Balance Shifts
Lvl 2 Halfling Druid
HP: 19/19
Armor 1/1
XP 2/9
Animal Forms: Wolf, Bear, Badger, Elk, Eagle, Hawk, Salmon, Rat, Beaver, Cricket, Spider
Sentinel - Vanguard: Comic Book Campaign

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#147 Post by mb. »

Ah, here I was waiting for Spartakos to reply, and I missed that he also quit the game a few posts back. :(

So 50% of the crew has quit. And to be honest, for the last month I've been considering dropping the game myself. I've become a lot busier in the last couple months, I'm in a couple other games, and the work of running a game has been feeling more like work than fun. If there was a big swell of excitement about continuing, I'd probably be inspired to push on, but now, faced with recruiting 2 or 3 new players and starting over in a new world... well, I'm having a hard time raising the excitement I'd need to do it.

You all have my very sincere thanks for a good time! :) I've really enjoyed playing with you guys, and am only giving up due to time pressure. I've learned a great deal about PbP GMing, and GMing DW in a PbP context. Should I be inspired to run another game of any sort, I'll come to you guys first.

Sorry Kanye that it was such a short ride for you, but thanks for diving in and making what you could out of it.

And Spartakos, I'm rusty with D&D, but I bought the 5e PHB recently and would be keen to try it out if that's your flavour and you get it going.

Happy gaming wherever you find it! :D

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Pulpatoon »

Well, dang. I would be eager for the game to continue, but I certainly understand time pressure and the morale drop that comes with losing players.

Here's the thing:
1. You are not allowed to drop out of my BtW game, gawddammit.
2. Should you ever start up another game, you are required to invite me. REQUIRED.
3. Due to my own time pressures, I'm not joining any new games or replacing any that end. The present crunch will last until March or April at the earliest. Once I do, however, by gum, I'm gonna be looking for some *World games. So, keep me informed.

Kanye Westeros
Tracker
Tracker

#149 Post by Kanye Westeros »

Well...bummer...
Hey yo, I'm really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but...WINTER IS COMING.
Aziza Faster-than-Death - The Balance Shifts
Lvl 2 Halfling Druid
HP: 19/19
Armor 1/1
XP 2/9
Animal Forms: Wolf, Bear, Badger, Elk, Eagle, Hawk, Salmon, Rat, Beaver, Cricket, Spider
Sentinel - Vanguard: Comic Book Campaign

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#150 Post by mb. »

Yeah, sorry guys. I just feel a bit deflated about the game. Had everyone been keen to continue, I'd be a bit more inspired and would've pushed on, but a 50% loss combined with the time limitations I've had lately make it hard to summon any excitement, and this should be fun for everyone, and not feel like a chore. Not that I'm blaming the defectors at all: the whole game was set up with the clear intent that it be a trial with no commitment.

And never fear, I wouldn't dream of dropping out of your game Pulp. :) As you know, it's much easier time-wise to be a player than a GM, so Bürd's definitely staying and I'm looking forward to seeing where the game goes.

Return to “The Balance Shifts... (Dungeon World)”