2. The Asanda River (continued)

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

Re: 2. The Asanda River (continued)

#41 Post by tumblingdice »

The food is tasty, though nothing to which your digestive system is accustomed. There might be some "fire in the hole!" come morning. Pormas, his stomach weak from too much drink, makes a mad dash to the river on more than one occasion.

Carrion beasts creep into the camp to investigate the remains of the dead: the marauders who destroyed Tania the terrible's village; who sent a boat of murdered villagers downstream, chained to their benches and peppered with arrows; who have turned the Asanda River Valley into the vision of Hell that has become your world. Good work, ladies and gentleman.

The night passes without incident, as do the next four days. Everyone is healed to full strength, and we'll hand-wave the identification of Sir Joffrey's belt. It's a Girdle of Giant Strength. Big surprise there. :D

Day 19, Asanda River, about 200 miles upstream from the village of Pramayama, edge of the Salt Swamp, midday

You've seen no sign of enemies or refugees in the last few days. The edges of the river creep closer to your raft the further upstream you go. On either side, grasslands give way to blighted ponds, then saltmarshes. You stay busy as best you can, engaging in whatever weapons practice the small raft allows, studying your spells, and the like. Still, the air is heavy and thick with humidity. Strange pollen clings to your clothes, getting into your neck as you sweat. No one's killed each other yet, thankfully.

Pormas clears his throat. Gentlemen, lady, as you can see, we're just about run out of river here. The great Salt Swamp will soon be upon us, he says, gesturing dramatically around and in front of you. What next? Is your plan to set out into the desert? Or were you hoping to save some time cutting through the swamp?

A small section of the main map might help here:

Actions? Questions?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by greyarea »

Zelaz offers to wear the Girdle if no one else wants it. ;)

Can this craft cut through the swamp? If not, I say we set out in the desert. We should be sure to pack as much water as we can regardless.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#43 Post by badams30 »

Aristide - Rogue

As soon as the words "Swamp" leave Pormas' lips Aristide whips around and with a sneer says "SWAMP? Oh no, thank you. I'd prefer to stick to the sand. Ol' Max doesn't like slimy swamps, to be sure."

Aristide shudders thinking of trudging through a swamp...

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by spanningtree »

Taranna - Elf Mage

Shrugging: Might be nice to get a break from the humidity, probably danger either way.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#45 Post by kwll »

"Agreed! Humidity is not good for my old bones..." complains Tasrem.

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by connivingsumo »

Roikos: Cleric

The human climbs his horse for a better vantage as he surveys the surroundings. "Perhaps both? We can head into the desert, but skirt the swamp. What lives in the swamp may not like the desert,
and what lives in the desert may not like the swamp."
Roikos says to no one in particular.

Looking at the Lady-Elf, Tasrem, and Zelaz, he says, "Surely one of you knows how to separate the salt from the water? I have seen the native peoples do it. Somehow the air makes the water pure to drink."

========================
Available Spells
Level 1:
Cure Light Wounds (d6+1)
Cure Light Wounds (d6+1)
Cure Light Wounds (d6+1)
Cure Light Wounds (d6+1)
Detect Magic
Sanctuary

Level 2:
Bless
Bless
Find Traps
Hold Person
Silence 15'R
Speak with Animals

Level 3:
Dispel Magic
Dispel Magic
Striking

Level 4:
Cure Serious Wounds (2d6+2)

Level 5:
Flame Strike

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by kwll »

"My, my, no I don't know! Maybe I forgot?..." answers Tasrem, scratching his head.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#48 Post by tumblingdice »

It appears no one wants to go through the Salt Swamp. A wise decision.

Note to self: So much for that encounter.

More to come later...

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by tumblingdice »

OC: Thanks for your patience. We're back in business.

Pormas smiles, then chuckles at your obvious reluctance to enter the swamp. Well, that's too bad, now, as he begins guiding the raft to the western shore. I was hoping for some company for a few more days. So be it. Can't says I blame you. Nasty business you could be in for. Not that it's going to be much better out in the desert.

As you reach the shore, you guide your mounts off the raft, grateful to be free of the confines of your vessel. Sir Joffrey keeps an eye out for danger as you unload your supplies.

What next? Do you want to follow Rik's plan of following the edge of the swamp, so that you don't get lost?

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by spanningtree »

Taranna

Roikos's idea of following the swamp is probably prudent. No, I don't know how to create fresh water from brackish... Pormas, do you know how to do this?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#51 Post by greyarea »

Skirting the swamp might keep us from getting lost. Might. But it will take a long time, advises Zelaz. I still say we power through the swamp. Either that or cut across the desert. None of this time-wasting.

And making clean water from brackish is not a spell I have encountered. I've heard that some Churchmen claim to purify food and drink but you cannot trust them. They make many erroneous claims. No, we should make sure to port as much potable water as we can.

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#52 Post by connivingsumo »

greyarea wrote:Skirting the swamp might keep us from getting lost. Might. But it will take a long time, advises Zelaz. I still say we power through the swamp. Either that or cut across the desert. None of this time-wasting.

And making clean water from brackish is not a spell I have encountered. I've heard that some Churchmen claim to purify food and drink but you cannot trust them. They make many erroneous claims. No, we should make sure to port as much potable water as we can.
Roikos: Cleric

The Cleric rises in his saddle, his equitation obvious when he points Penny to face Zelaz, "As a man of the untrusted, I suggest you mind your words, Wizard. Given the choice, I'd not heal the mouth of sacrilege." Roikos turns Penny again facing the group. "At best, I can purify 60 {*Imperial*} pints per day starting tomorrow, but Vanya gives me the right to create (36 gallons of) water every day that I commune with her. This is not ideal, however, as that will leave us vulnerable in healing, so if we're foolish enough to trot into this desert of madness we had better port as much fresh water as we can carry."

========================
Available Spells
Level 1:
Cure Light Wounds (d6+1)
Cure Light Wounds (d6+1)
Cure Light Wounds (d6+1)
Cure Light Wounds (d6+1)
Detect Magic
Sanctuary

Level 2:
Bless
Bless
Find Traps
Hold Person
Silence 15'R
Speak with Animals

Level 3:
Dispel Magic
Dispel Magic
Striking

Level 4:

Level 5:
Flame Strike

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by tumblingdice »

Pormas laughs at Taranna's question. You're looking for fresh water, ma'am? That's easy! Stick an empty barrel outside your house and wait. I got no tricks up my sleeve for that. If'n you can hocus pocus up some water for yourselves, be sure to send a few gallons Pormas' way now, you got that? I got a long ride ahead of me.

OC: So, what'll it be, gents? Everybody except Zelaz wants to skirt the swamp. Anybody change their mind? You're going to have to rely on your stores and Roikos' spells no matter what path you choose. This being a high-level adventure, I don't want to worry too much about food and water. You made the best plans and provisions you could back in Pramayama. As long as you're careful and smart about things, I won't kill you with starvation or dehydration, or have you run out. Unless of course the story calls for it.

Did I say that last part out loud. Dang...

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#54 Post by connivingsumo »

Roikos is good for whatever - he's just trying to RP the situation, but - as a player - I'm good with whatever direction we go! :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#55 Post by tumblingdice »

Understood, Rik. Roikos doesn't know about what they call, in the old Star Wars RPG, "script immunity." :)

Edit: Let's call it bookkeeping immunity. You can still die in combat.

Oc: phew

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#56 Post by badams30 »

Aristide - Rogue

Aristide rolls his eyes at the back and forth, obviously oblivious to the seriousness of the situation. He spends the time brushing Max and chatting to his faithful steed, yammering away about riches, naked women, and even a young camel for his BFF.

OOC: Aristide doesn't care much for specifics. He'll complain no matter what the course chosen. He'll leave that to the others, content to keep watch in his lazy way...

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#57 Post by spanningtree »

Taranna

There will be hardship either way, I'd prefer ground under my feet than a boat in a bad situation.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by tumblingdice »

After much discussion, you decide to stick with the plan of traveling over land. Roikos' idea of skirting the outer edge of the swamp, so as not to get lost in the desert, seems to be your best bet. You share one last meal with Pormas, then he departs, disappearing downstream and out of sight in a matter of minutes.

You'll be moving at the rate of your slowest mount, Penny, who can travel 24 miles per day. Desert terrain reduces your movement rate by 1/3, so you'll be making 16 miles per day.

Travel montage. Over two weeks pass...

Day 37, Sind Desert, West of the Great Salt Swamp, late morning

Your journey through the desert, along the edge of the swamp is miserable but uneventful. The Sind Desert is more barren and stony than sandy: rocky areas, craggy bluffs, and patches of dry thorn bushes dot the landscape. During the daytime, temperatures often reach 110 degrees or higher. At night, the temperatures drop as low as 30 to 40 degrees. It doesn't take long for you to figure out that morning, late afternoon and early evening are the best times of day to travel. Venturing out in the noonday sun in metal armor is asking for trouble. Picture the poor Chinese railroad worker in Blazing Saddles. Between your supplies and Vanya (Roikos' deity) packing you a lunch every morning, :D, you and your mounts manage to stay fed and hydrated.

While the DM would never presume to tell you what your characters normally talk and think about, he'd be remiss if he didn't mention that at some point you ponder the whereabouts of the Republic Army, and how on earth you're going to find them. You're in a hostile, foreign land. It's not like you can ask anybody. The Master's eyes and ears are everywhere!

As you crest a rocky hill, you see below you what appears to be a caravan trail heading in a northeast to southwesterly direction. Moments later, on the horizon, coming toward you from the northeast is a large group of men and beasts of burden. They don't appear to have noticed you yet.

Actions? I've moved things along quickly. Spellcasters, you can change out your spell loads if you like. Everyone is at full strength.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by greyarea »

Zelaz points to the men. We should take cover and have only one or two of us approach them. If they are but a caravan, and who would be on this cursed warzone, then no problems, we can trade or let them leave in peace. If they mean war, then we can perhaps get the drop on them. I say spellcasters in the rocky areas near here spread out so as not to make so inviting a large target, and perhaps one or two of you in your portable ovens meet the oncoming group.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by spanningtree »

Taranna

Excellent plan... I'll go with the group meeting them.

OCC: Will a detect evil spell work at this distance?

Return to “Master of the Desert Nomads (Labyrinth Lord)”