OOC & MW's Chat Hut

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC & MW's Chat Hut

#361 Post by KingOfCowards »

Welcome back Pulpatoon. Hope real-life calms down for you.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#362 Post by mb. »

...tumbleweeds...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by Pulpatoon »

GAH! Yeah, sorry. Summer's been tough. All good stuff, but it hasn't been leaving me much time.

I'm gonna go post RIGHT NOW!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#364 Post by Pulpatoon »

This is interesting: A web-generator for BtW characters.

Seems like the whole point of BtW chargen is to make it fun and significant, so I'm not entirely sure I see the point of automating it. But, who knows? Good to know it's out there.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#365 Post by Pulpatoon »

Alright! Everyone chime in, without fear of dwarvish reprisal: was Bürd's killing blow of the giant antlion epic enough to grant his ancestral axe THE POWER OF LEGEND?

We need to hear from everyone!

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#366 Post by DavetheLost »

Oh, yes! That blow the awesome culmination to a great scene. It also may just have saved our bacon.
Playing: At the Forest's Edge: Desmond Halfling Vagabond
The Northern Marches: Hengist Cleric of Baudh

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#367 Post by KingOfCowards »

It was epic, I just do have one complaint that has shown up between multiple characters and possibly even the DM, and that is with choosing a (defensive or offensive) stance after an attack roll is already made.

Sorry if this offends anyone, just my inner-rules lawyer coming out.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#368 Post by mb. »

Yeah, I totally understand that KoC. If it makes any difference, I did decide to go aggressive before clicking to roll, and after rolling realised I had clicked an existing macro without the +2 in it. I guess to keep it all clean the question for Pulp is, was it a hit even without the +2?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#369 Post by Pulpatoon »

.mb did need the +2 to make the hit.

KoC's point is a good one, and not one I'd been considering. I feel pretty good assuming that everyone is being honest and not calling stances after the die roll. I mean, we all know temptation, but I'm pretty sure anyone whose gamemanship is poor enough to fudge the details is going to reveal themselves as missing the spirit of the game in a lot of other ways.

I've never though twice about just hitting the d20 macro and typing in the adjustments, rather than typing in a custom macro each time. But if this is bad dice-roller etiquette, I'd appreciate the head's up, as I'm doing it in other games, and would hate to look like a boob.

Tally
.mb: yes
Davethelost: yes
KingOfCowards: concerns expressed

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#370 Post by mb. »

I still have table play more in my head than online. My mental process was certainly "Bürd's pissed & over it all, so he's throwing everything into this attack," and at table I'd have said "aggressive as hell stance!" as I threw the dice. In my defence I can only say the decision was made before I clicked the macro. If it really disturbs anyone that much, I can re-roll, and take what comes. Considering the fitting drama of the existing result, I'd really rather not, of course.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#371 Post by KingOfCowards »

No, no. I see no need to change what has already happened in the game. I just spotted what I saw as a loophole. I'm not here to question anybody's honesty. If everybody likes how we are doing things, we don't need to change it. I only realized it because Simon had rolled a 15 just before Burd had, with different results of course because of the aggressive stance.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#372 Post by Pulpatoon »

Ah, see, I'm definitely aggravating the situation, then, because I'll sometimes have modifiers in my head that I don't even type down (in this case, because the giant antlion was bleeding out under the sand). Partly, this is part of the GM's purview—to have information that the players do not. But, there's also the fact that I'm very comfortable with approximation and hand-waving, even when it maybe isn't the most appropriate. You should see my record books. It's more like a string of emojis than a stately line of objective-looking percentages. Which really isn't fair to players who are paying attention to the numbers in order to figure out how to respond to game-events.

Anyway, I recognize the importance of rolling in the open and letting everyone be able to make judgements based on accurate data, so:

I HEREBY RESOLVE TO MAKE BETTER, MORE THOROUGH, MORE SPECIFIC USE OF THE DIE-ROLLER.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#373 Post by mb. »

So for the axe thing we've got:

Davethelost: yes
KingOfCowards: yes (with concerns)
PyroArrow: yes
Me: yes

Are we just missing MonkeyWrench? C'mon MW, the suspense is keeling me! ;)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#374 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sorry for the delay: beginning of the new semester is keeping me tied up for a few days more!

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#375 Post by mb. »

After over a month of inactivity, I'm tempted to call it...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#376 Post by Pulpatoon »

Ugh. I hate to write this, although it's obviously no surprise to anyone involved. Time to shutter this game.

I kept hoping that the present level of business would smooth out and I'd be able to pour myself into this game again, but... well, nope.

Thank you, everyone, for your participation and collaboration on this game. It was a ton of fun. I really like the world we made together, and the characters you peopled it with. I also really liked the adventures I had planned: civil war among the harpies; a vainglorious troll with Munchausen-like delusions; a giant's deadly birthday party; the occupation of the Oldene by Tallinmar; the dour kingdom of the Beast; and a descent into Hell.

Ah, well. It will be quite a while before I have the time to really run a game again. In the meantime, I hope to see you guys in other games.

I award you all ONE MILLION PLAYER POINTS! You have now leveled up.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#377 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sad to hear, Pulpatoon. But completely understandable. I had fun and I want to thank you for introducing me to this game.
I hope some day you find time to run another campaign.

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#378 Post by PyroArrow »

Yea, sad to hear, was really liking how the stories were playing out, so someday i will get this game, heck maybe bring it into my roll20.net game !

I think i may close up my "B1/B2/B5 Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the hills of Horror & Chaos", game, as well since it last left off awaiting player input, it just died, &

really the scope i had in mind was to big & ambitious for on here, i guess.
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#379 Post by mb. »

I had a blast. :) I'm always open for invites to new & excitng games.

Thank you all & especially you Pulp! :D

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#380 Post by DavetheLost »

Thank you for letting me be a part of this. It was a great game.

I understand that sometimes real life gets in the way of gaming. If you run another in the future look me up.
Playing: At the Forest's Edge: Desmond Halfling Vagabond
The Northern Marches: Hengist Cleric of Baudh

Return to “At the Forest's Edge (Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures)”