11-Skullport-Trip 2- After the Fat Man!

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 11-Skullport-Trip 2- After the Fat Man!

#281 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Mage

While I like the fireball approach I do feel it may bring the skulls in for a visit. I'd think we'd be creating quite a bit of noise.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#282 Post by DadsAngry »

Enoka:

"Are we not too overly ambitious in thinking that we can make a frontal assault on the Fatman's keep and live. Even if we do take out a good portion of the inhabitants, will we be quick enough to reach the Fatman before he flees to safety and the ruling skull appear to smite their judgment upon us? Isn't our goal to kill the Fatman? I may be no assassin but the spider waits in a crack in the wall and waits for the fly to be trapped in it's web before striking. Balls of fire and great force is needed, but after the prey is caught in our web. To do it earlier will only cause it to flee. Has anyone even been able to confirm that the Fatman is behind those walls?"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Bluehorse »

Forrest

Listens to Enoka. He likes her. She is good at saying things so he can understand them. He thinks really hard. "Spiders.... spiders... Enoka, what if we go you inside as a spider? One of those red smudge spiders my mama always said not to play with cause they can make you real sick and you die. Could you be one of those and bite the Fat Man? That would be really quiet. Maybe someone could be a sparrow bird and carry you inside.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#284 Post by Darkmane »

OK so no frontal assault with fireball. At leaves you with sneaky infiltration using:

1) potion of phasing on your thief who let's the rest of you into the keep. Or another method like levitation over the walls. This method is quick and you will definitely have surprise at least initially. The magic of the phasing potion is so obscure no-one is likely to have a counter. The only downside is if you get into the tunnels you don't know what's under there (but that is similar to under mountain in general)

2) trying to replace a guard or get hired as guards - and make into the inside peacefully. This method would perhaps get you in, but you could accidently reveal your hand and lose surprise, also this method will take much longer since you know very little about this cursed place.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#285 Post by Inferno »

Tantos Vek, failed paladin:

Vek grunts, "A fireball in a neighboring building could create a distraction for the Keep and the Skulls and help us sneak in.

"Getting a job could take weeks and we could be found out at any moment with a basic spell."
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#286 Post by ylinett »

Garl having listened silently for some time spoke "The caster would likely be noticed and attacked. Even were they not you still have one less powerful spell to defend ourselves with. Make no mistake, this insanity is not an assault it will be a stab in the back and a desperate bid to escape. If you really want the guy dead then you should ensure the job is done right not simply bungle an attempt and if we survive that method will be defended against the next time.

You want this guy, I get it, but you are messing this whole thing up. The whole we have to go with what we have attitude is lunacy. He is a caster? Do you have a silence spell? What about invisibility? Dispel? How about an anti-magic field? Once we manage to get to him through what is out there...Assuming he is even in there...And we manage to keep him from fleeing or casting...How long will we have to kill him? I imagine if we try to kill every guard he will flee, so I assume there will still be guards that if they learn of it, and they will. Will try to come to his aid. A silent and instantaneous death is what we want. That gives us until the body is discovered. Maybe a small head start in close quarters like these.

And how do we get this instantaneous and silent death? Will we all hide in his closet and stab him at once? Do we have magical weapons with the most deadly of poisons applied? If not why not? We are in a place where asking for such things will not raise an eye.

You need to think long and hard about this not only if you want to succeed, but also before you cost my family another life."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by ravenn4544 »

Roseheart

"Wow - Garl. Nice speech! I have to say you speak wisely about our hasty plan. What do you think? Should we consider delving back into the underdark to seek out another way in?"

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#288 Post by ylinett »

It is clear that Garl hears Roseheart's reply but only turns his face to Vek and awaits his reply.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#289 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble "Points all made, however the biggest part is exactly as Garl says. We know not if the fatman is even in the complex just that this is for sure his complex, according to our local source. So far most all out plans leave us exposed and open even if we are aided it'll likely bring about an open war, in a place folk like use are frowned upon. Biggest thing is ensuring the fatman is there, and two that he is dealt with in a manner we can assure he does not come back from, with the least or in my opinion no casualties on our end of things."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by Inferno »

Vek had no answers as to what magic they had at their command.
ylinett wrote:"...before you cost my family another life."
Vek snarled, "My soul is doomed, but I will not bear that which is not mine. He knew the risks, as do all men in our line of work.

Then, calmer: "What do you propose, Garl? My phasing potion can allow one of us to reconnoiter the Keep and locate the Fatman. You may gather your poisons as you will.

"But speed and surprise are counted among our few assets. Every day we linger here is a day we can be discovered. We are unfamiliar with this terrain; the Fat Man is not. We are surrounded by enemies in this Hell City. Every day, the risk grows,"
he croaked matter-of-factly.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by ravenn4544 »

Roseheart

Vek, my friend, I know you are chomping at the bit to get moving. What say you to us heading back down the underdark and cracking some skulls there in vengeance as we look for an entrance to the keep. There has to be one wouldn't you think? How else does he come and go if not through the front door?

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#292 Post by ylinett »

Garl now looked quizzically at Vek...he had meant himself, did Vek cause the death of some other member of his family? His odd turn of phrase may have been responsible...or was it? "Let us do as Roseheart suggests. If nothing else it will give us time to work together as a team and perhaps we will find soemthing of worth. Maybe we will even find a way out of here and back without all the expense."
Inferno wrote:Tantos Vek, failed paladin:

Vek had no answers as to what magic they had at their command.
ylinett wrote:"...before you cost my family another life."
Vek snarled, "My soul is doomed, but I will not bear that which is not mine. He knew the risks, as do all men in our line of work.

Then, calmer: "What do you propose, Garl? My phasing potion can allow one of us to reconnoiter the Keep and locate the Fatman. You may gather your poisons as you will.

"But speed and surprise are counted among our few assets. Every day we linger here is a day we can be discovered. We are unfamiliar with this terrain; the Fat Man is not. We are surrounded by enemies in this Hell City. Every day, the risk grows,"
he croaked matter-of-factly.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#293 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble "Yes Garl and Roseheart are right, let us return to the undermountain passages they must lead under even where we are now."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#294 Post by Inferno »

The doom haunted killer grunts his acceptance of the plan.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#295 Post by DadsAngry »

Enoka:

"Maybe in time we can figure out what the Fatman wants and use it to ensnare him."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#296 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Elf Mage

Perhaps, one of us approaches the Fatman with knowledge of hoodlums that ran afoul of one of his stashes below Waterdeep. T'would confirm if he is even here or not and perhaps locate him within his walls.

As a two prong approach, another might take employment with his house.

Dangerous, either way but so is delving. Delving is a random act with no guarantee that we are working toward our mission. Might come across some nice loot though, maybe not. She will end with a shrug.

Taking a gulp. I'll volunteer to approach his house directly if needed. Act as someone that has information regarding his pilfered stash. Looking for some money in exchange for information. Of course, more planning needs to be made but it may be a start...
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#297 Post by Darkmane »

It looks like most of you are voting to head back into the dungeon? Ere do seem to be. Aves leading away from this cursed city in several locations.

What do u think of Tella's plan before you all leave? She could gw info? Or maybe shot at ;)

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#298 Post by DadsAngry »

Enoka:

"I can go with you Tella as your... familiar. Perched on your shoulder as a bat I can lend support if anything goes wrong."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#299 Post by Inferno »

Vek rasps, "I vote against direct, non-violent contact with the Fatman. We are strangers here, in his place of strength. He has too many advantages. We could accidentally tip him off, causing him to raise his guard, flee, or have his men follow us. We should attack soon with the element of surprise, or else delve quietly, indirectly, so we don't arouse his attention."
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#300 Post by DadsAngry »

Enoka:

"O.K. if we make a assault on the fortress were do we strike first. How do we get passed the walls? Fly? Teleport? Do we have a team pass through the walls and open the door? We already have a plan on eliminating a majority of the inhabitants with magic balls of fire. You know even if the Fatman escapes our assault he surely will go looking for revenge and seek us out. Perhaps we can use that to our advantage if the future."

Return to “Under Streets of Splendor (2ed)”